Remembering the death of a rocker

snotknocker

CAGiversary!
As I was driving to work the DJ on the radio announced it was the 13th anniversary of the death of front man Freddie Mercury of the rock band Queen.

I started to think just how much of this this bands music has had an influence on me.

I don't think I've ever been to a sporting event where they did'nt blast We are the champions or We will rock you.

I remeber back in the day how all the chics really dug Queen and always got excited listening to them. They did'nt really do much for me. I was too busy headbangin to early Metallica, Slayer, Iron Maiden and the likes.

Now that I've mellowed out a little bit I realize just how really good some of the music they created actually is. There is some serious complexity and orchestration to most of their music.

I don't want to rant. I just want to say " Fat bottom girls you make the rockin world go round"

RIP Freddie

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='SneakyPenguin']Queen shaq-fuing rocks, they went too soon.[/quote]

Exactly.[/quote]

I think I'm gonna pick up the 'News of the World ' CD That was some awesome shit

[quote name='smalien1']Aids right?[/quote]

Yeah, he died the day after he annouced to the world he had AIDS.

Queen rocks. Freddie was so great that people didn't care about his sexual orientation; they concentrated on his talent. That is so incredible.

Queen definitely left too soon. I need to pick up one of their concert DVDs, but I don't know which one to choose. Sorry to hijack the topic, but maybe you all could offer suggestions.

[quote name='snotknocker'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='SneakyPenguin']Queen shaq-fuing rocks, they went too soon.[/quote]

Exactly.[/quote]

I think I'm gonna pick up the 'News of the World ' CD That was some awesome shit[/quote]

I actually have the News of the World record (vinyl). I've had it since I was a little kid and have always loved the artwork with the giant robot destroying everything. The music is awesome as well.

Yeah, the composition in some of their songs is mindblowing...

Meanwhile, I heard Nickleback on the radio and had to restrain myself from driving off the bridge.

I fear the day that Brian May is removed from this Earth. Honestly, how many musicians actually build the instruments they use?

[quote name='Ledhed']I fear the day that Brian May is removed from this Earth. Honestly, how many musicians actually build the instruments they use?[/quote]

And how many were ever Ph.D candidates in Astrophysics? 'Year of 31' is a great song about relativistic time dilation. It gives him a godlike status among filkers.

[quote name='jbroush99'][quote name='snotknocker'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='SneakyPenguin']Queen shaq-fuing rocks, they went too soon.[/quote]

Exactly.[/quote]

I think I'm gonna pick up the 'News of the World ' CD That was some awesome shit[/quote]

I actually have the News of the World record (vinyl). I've had it since I was a little kid and have always loved the artwork with the giant robot destroying everything. The music is awesome as well.[/quote]

By Frank Kelly Freas, one of the all-time great SF&F artists. It was a reworking of an October 1953 magazine cover. Roger Taylor was familiar with the original and commisioned Freas to produce a new version. Freas is a great guy whose computers I've had occasion to fix.

Of course, I can remember when Queen was best known as the opening act for Mott the Hoople. I'd really, really like for the idiot record company that controls the material to release Ian hunter's 'Welcome to the Club' live set.

I can't claim to be the biggest Queen fan, but I respect their work. Freddie Mercury was really talented...I mean he didn't get the lead singer job because of his looks. Damn that sounds meaner than I meant it.

[quote name='Xevious']The whole band was talented- not just Freddie Mercury[/quote]

Yes, but Freddie Mercury WAS the band. Without his voice or his flamboyance, the band wouldn't have been the Queen that we know.

It's a shame, but Queen doesn't seem to get quite the respect they deserve. They're definitely up there with the Beatles, the Stones, Zeppelin, and who knows how many others as one of the best rock bands ever. From what I've seen, though, they don't get quite the same level of attention lavished on them...

[quote name='Xevious']The whole band was talented- not just Freddie Mercury[/quote]

Agreed. But I think FM was a perfectionist that brought out the best of the other band members

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus'][quote name='Xevious']The whole band was talented- not just Freddie Mercury[/quote]

Yes, but Freddie Mercury WAS the band. Without his voice or his flamboyance, the band wouldn't have been the Queen that we know.

It's a shame, but Queen doesn't seem to get quite the respect they deserve. They're definitely up there with the Beatles, the Stones, Zeppelin, and who knows how many others as one of the best rock bands ever. From what I've seen, though, they don't get quite the same level of attention lavished on them...[/quote]
I'd have to agree with the fact that they haven't gotten their due when it comes to being mentioned as one of the greatest in rock history. Freddy had one of the most amazing and memorable voices ever, that's for sure.

Queen.. Easily one of the greatest bands I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. I 1st heard them with the Highlander Soundtrack. Awesome stuff indeed. Freddy was such an impact to the world of music and his time came way too soon. He lived his life to it's fullest and their music show cased that more than anything. I also agree they SO get short changed when it comes to mentions of greatness. I have many queen songs on my X box, and I love playing links 2004 and having queen cranking in the surround. They are awesome. No argument there. Many bands should look at them to see how it should be done...

bread's done
Back