Remembering the Dreamcast

Fengsten

CAG Veteran
Anyone else still love their Dreamcast years after it's unfortunate demise? I know I do. And I can't believe there's not a DC forum already. :(

I think the main forums are for systems that are still relevant, while everything else goes into this forum.

Yes, I still love the dreamcast. The summer I spent playing Skies of Arcadia was probably my favorite summer ever.

Dreamcast was awesome! I remember the graphics as being amazing for the time when the system was released. Had a nice library of games, the VMU was way ahead of its time, had online gaming before anyone else was really doing it.

And it had PSO!!! I had sooo many long nights of pure fun playing PSO that just can't be topped! I loooved the music! I actually bought the soundtrack on cd years later!

Good memories!

I actually have my Dreamcast plugged in right now, was playing some Project Justice the other day.

You guys remember the VMU beep? And the hours and hours wasted on PSO? Maybe the bajillion fighting games from Capcom? Those were good times even though the PS2/GC/Xbox were around the corner. I'll never forget my Dreamcast and the time I spent on it.

... Where's my Shenmue 3? :(

Man, I remember the arcade perfect ports this baby pumped out at launch. Gauntlet Legends? Hydro Thunder? The House of the Dead 2? Screw Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo; the Dreamcast is all I needed. And I would have continued supporting it!

I remember loving RE: Code Veronica and Maken X when they first came out, even though the latter made me have slight motion sickness.

House of the Dead 2 was another great experience, as I hadn't played it anywhere else before. Keep the coin up in the air by shooting it, what insanity.

It's sad that the DC didn't make it through...I have to say even though Im a Nintendo Fanboy, that the DC was my far the best system for the games it had.

Street fighter's ftw!

The sega dreamcast was the best console I ever owned. First console to have internet, keyboard and mouse too, VGA cable. Awesome FPS and Fighting games on it.
I grew up with the Sega consoles and I still love the Dreamcast, I wish I still had one though. Id probably be playing Quake III on it, I heard there are still dedicated servers for it still, MvC2 is better on the dreamcast than the Ps2 aswell.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DrMunkee']Man, I remember the arcade perfect ports this baby pumped out at launch. Gauntlet Legends? Hydro Thunder? The House of the Dead 2?[/QUOTE]

Don't forget Soulcalibur...the dc is the only console I ever preordered...9/9/99!

It came out in europe and I think japan on the DC but not here in the states. I have often thought about importing it from europe. I saw one at a gamestop once but didn't pick it up due to having it on the xbox.

Hydro Thunder on the Dreamcast is the best version out there. Total blast. The PS2 Midway collection version just doens't have the same feel.

And Skies of Arcadia is one of the few JRPG's I played straight through to the end. A really fun game.

My Dreamcast is upstairs. Hooked up to my old SOny Trinitron

I didn't have it at the time but I played a lot of its games in the arcade and they were excellent. As far as I'm concerned the DC and its arcade counterparts comprised the last stand of arcade style gaming.

Power Stone, Soul Calibur, House of the Dead 2, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Gauntlet... wow. Code Veronica and Grandia 2 were heavyweights at the time too.

Ironically enough, I just found my dreamcast that I forgot I even owned, lol. It was like christmas!

Console, 2 controllers, 2 VMUs, and a stack of games:

Hydro Thunder
WWE Attitude
ECW
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Soul Reaver
Shenmue Collectors Edition
Crazy Taxi
D2
Bust a Move
Quake
Dead or Alive 2
Fighting Force
Star Wars Demolition
Soul Calibur

And a few others that I can't remember

I still dig mine out from time to time as well. I actually have the keyboard and mic to play Typing of the Dead and "Seaman" where you get to talk to a man fish . . . I don't think such games would make it today.

I also loved Gauntlet Legends (though the final boss kicked my butt) . . . and now I also love how easy it is to download old games to play.

Wasn't the controller cord attached to the bottom of the controller? That always seemed like a poor design decision to me, but I didn't spend much time with the system.

I did play a little Crazi Taxi in my day though.

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']Wasn't the controller cord attached to the bottom of the controller? That always seemed like a poor design decision to me, but I didn't spend much time with the system.

I did play a little Crazi Taxi in my day though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. And it did have a little dent on the back where you could sort of "tuck" the cord. I didn't discover it until I had owned my Dreamcast for a few years.

Do I remember the Dreamcast?

[youtube]fEp571fwKiM[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX#grid/user/10AD89B0E5A65765

I think I do. ;)

But yeah. I loved the hell out of my Dreamcast. While everyone was going nuts over the PS2, I was enjoying my DC. Especially when it came to playing Phantasy Star Online instead of doing homework and playing Skies of Arcadia instead of Final Fantasy X (and enjoying it so much more than the latter). That little box is one of my prized consoles and it absolutely tore me apart when I found out that Sega was leaving the console market and discontinuing the Dreamcast.

Dreamcasters were there any rare models of the dreamcast I have the sega black console (the sega sports one) i heard theres a vaery rare hello kitty dreamcast I was wondering if any of you fellow DCERS know any other unique models?

the dreamcast was the first system i bought with my own money. i bought it at launch for $200 after hearing alot of raves about it on magazines. it was a very cool system.

lately i started using my dreamcast bag as a regular everyday bag/camera bag.

I remember a litte while after I bought the PS2, I was going to trade my Dreamcast into EB Games (at the time) and the Store Manager looked at me and said "why on earth would you trade in your Dreamcast?" I told him I got a PS2 and didn't really play it much anymore. He said, We would be happy to take it from you and make money, but go home first, connect it to sega.net, play your NFL 2K1 online, and if you still don't want it, come back to me. Well I took his advice, and holy shit did I have new love for that system!! After that, all I did was buy online games for it and was a PSO nut!! I even made friends on that game from other states and went to Oregon with my wife on vactation to meet two of them in person. That system was way ahead of it's time and it's a shame how the Playstation hype killed it.

[quote name='kube00']Anyone ever play Super Runabout: San Francisco Edition?[/QUOTE]

I have a Japanese import copy but never played the US version. I thought it was decent, but nothing too memorable (assuming there were no major differences between the two versions). Sega GT was actually my favorite DC racer (I question whether or not I might be the ONLY one who feels that way), though I do recognize it as an inferior Gran Turismo clone. RUSH 2049 was a pretty good arcade racer...I might have to go home now and fire up the Dreamcast!

i also remember the dreamcast as the last system that was imported and sold at places like babbages, software etc. and electronics boutique for a whopping $700 months before its north american launch.

I still have my dreamcast, along with Shenmue 1 and 2 (both PAL versions). Unfortunately it's stored away, since the tv I hook the system up to is an old crappy tv.

Some special Dreamcast models were released in certain regions. In North America, a limited edition black Dreamcast was released with a Sega Sports logo below the Dreamcast logo on the lid, along with matching Sega Sports-branded black controllers. Electronics Boutique offered a blue Dreamcast through its website. In Japan, Sega released many varieties of the system, including a pink Sakura Taisen version, and a Hello Kitty version released in 2000 in Japan which, due to its limited production, has become an extremely rare collector's piece. The package contains a keyboard, controller, VMU, mouse, and a Hello Kitty trivia game. The console and accessories came in both translucent pink and blue in color with some printed designs.
Japan also saw the release of two limited edition Dreamcasts based on Capcom's Resident Evil Code: Veronica game, one a clear pink Claire Redfield model that included a copy of the game and a special pink VMU and also a clear dark blue model that also included the game and a blue VMU. The blue model had the Resident Evil trademark S.T.A.R.S. logo on the lid. Sega also released the limited R7 ("Regulation#7," referring to the second provision of the first section of regulation seven in the Japanese penal code pertaining to businesses that are deemed to affect public morals) Dreamcast in Japan. This model consists of a special refurbished Dreamcast unit that was originally used as a network console in Japanese pachinko parlors, in a newly designed black case with a black controller in a black retail box, all marked with R7 branding. Due to its late date of release and common availability, it is considered one of the more easily obtained limited edition Dreamcast units by collectors.
--Wikipedia

Here's the pink Hello Kitty version:
3776702438_ace5dd376a.jpg

hellokittyDC

[quote name='mossman43']After that, all I did was buy online games for it and was a PSO nut!! I even made friends on that game from other states and went to Oregon with my wife on vactation to meet two of them in person. That system was way ahead of it's time and it's a shame how the Playstation hype killed it.[/QUOTE]
Man, I made so many friends on PSO when it was still up.

It's such a shame I lost contact with all of them. I had over 18 pages of Guild Cards. :\

What was awesome was it can play burnt games, except the later ones ie: Sega Sports version. I don't know about the others, but I'd figure.

Bought the system day one with soul calibur and rented powerstone. That was one of the best moments in gaming ever conceived right there.

I still remember one of my friends got a PS2 on launch day. I went over there and we played Gameday 2001. He was talking about how much better the Playstation 2 was and how it made the dreamcast look like shit. I laughed and said I was going to go home to play Powerstone. He said can I play and we gathered a few other friends and played on that. The Playstation 2. It was worthless for a year minimum before it got anything decent.

Got it on launch day. Probably the best system for games that were just pure fun thanks to all the arcade and original, niche titles. I have so many memories playing classic games like PSO (online was AMAZING for the time), Code Veronica, Power Stone 2, Illbleed, the Shenmues, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, and of course all the arcade-perfect ports. And who can forget the crazy shit that was Seaman? :lol: The system seriously had it all. I still play it from time to time when I revisit some of the classics. And yet somehow Sega fucked it up and has now become the troll of the industry.

And yeah, the PS2 had some real turds in its first year. Yet the DC had tons of great games, even a few great ones at launch (unheard of at the time and is still nearly unheard of even today) and still bombed thanks to Sega's excellent marketing skills.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Got it on launch day. Probably the best system for games that were just pure fun thanks to all the arcade and original, niche titles. I have so many memories playing classic games like PSO (online was AMAZING for the time), Code Veronica, Power Stone 2, Illbleed, the Shenmues, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, and of course all the arcade-perfect ports. And who can forget the crazy shit that was Seaman? :lol: The system seriously had it all. I still play it from time to time when I revisit some of the classics. And yet somehow Sega fucked it up and has now become the troll of the industry.

And yeah, the PS2 had some real turds in its first year. Yet the DC had tons of great games, even a few great ones at launch (unheard of at the time and is still nearly unheard of even today) and still bombed thanks to Sega's excellent marketing skills.[/QUOTE]

Whoo-hoo for another Seaman shout-out . . . ."I could use a little food."

I actually HAD a PS2 before I had a Dreamcast, but then I sold the PS2 on Ebay and got the Dreamcast instead. To this day, there are only a couple of PS2 titles that I've missed (God of War and Kingdom Hearts) and I've kept plugging along with my Dreamcast.

Does anyone else use theirs as an NES and SNES emulator?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']And yeah, the PS2 had some real turds in its first year. Yet the DC had tons of great games, even a few great ones at launch (unheard of at the time and is still nearly unheard of even today) and still bombed thanks to Sega's excellent marketing skills.[/QUOTE]
I don't think marketing really had to do with it in the Dreamcast's case. They *really* put an effort into its advertisement and getting the word out on the Dreamcast's capabilities and its games. I mean, compare the Dreamcast's advertisements against the Saturn ones in the US. You'd swear Sony hired the same people who made the Saturn ones when they made their first PS3 commercials.

Its major downfall was the fact that they had very few people trusting them. After how badly the Saturn tanked outside of Japan, most people felt Sony was the better company to side with since they knew the PlayStation brand was a reliable one when it came to quality games.

Pile this on with their debt catching up and the fact that despite a successful launch and what not, none of the sales could make up for the massive debt they accumulated during the Saturn's age. Shenmue's development costs did not help one bit, either. They sunk $70 million into the game and only sold slightly over a million copies worldwide. In order for them to even break somewhat event on Shenmue, the developers said every Dreamcast owner would have had to buy two copies of the game.

Sega did everything they could. They just slammed the hardest when they got it all right.

I have the Sega Sports edition one, and I play it everyonce in a while as a console it was way before its time, internet capabilites, the best memory cards ever (besides HDD's), but after new controllers I do look like what where they thinking creating that controller lol

I picked up mine on launch day also (9/9/99, the day after my 20th birthday). I didn't have one pre-ordered and walked into Toys-R-Us around 3:00 that afternoon and walked out with a Dreamcast. I guess that was the end of the era when you could pick up a new game system on launch day without line camping.

I didn't buy one at launch but I wasn't too far behind... I couldn't handle not having arcade perfect ports of Soul Caliber (Maybe the best 3D fighter of all time, or at least the one with the most things to do) and NBA Showtime.

Other favorite games included the 2K sport games, Skies of Arcadia, Virtual Tennis, and Armada.

The later was completely awesome and rather ahead of its time as it blended RPG elements into another genre... This time a Shump. (And this concept should be robbed by some developer for a PSN/XBLA game.)

I remember working my ass off all summer long, I saved up 700 dollars and I went nuts at the midnight launch at Software Etc. It was the night before my first day of my Senior Year of High School and I was fucking wrecked because I stayed up all night playing Soul Calibur. My favorite system in many ways, I still have mine connected and just got Sword of the Berserk. Next up is Record of Lodoss War.

I got this system on day 2 (without any preorder ticket or something) at videogamesforless (the one buy toysrus in westminster somewhere). Do you guys remember hollywood videos had an early dreamcast promo? man I remember playing ready to rumble non stop. Dreamcast was the last system to garner child-like excitement over a video game system (you know where you stay up all night to beat the game, and quickly pretend you're sleeping when parents came in to check on u).

The first game I got was of course Sonic Adventure, that game was a sheer blast. One of the best examples of a 3d platformer.

One of my favorite game of all time, sadly, is Shenmue (Shenmue 2 coming up a close second). Iono what made that game so great for me (characters were flat, story was pretty mediocre, fighting mechanics wasn't that innovative, f*** qte, what the h*** was the passport disc good for), maybe cause of moments such as...
nearly the last part when ryo goes to the docks to save that canadian bound girl from mad angels,go looking for sailors, moving crates around to earn money to feed ur vending machine addiction or the fact u can get a virtual sega saturn
. I've nearly beat Yakuza and played a good portion of Yakuza 3... it really doesn't help fill the void shenmue has caused . I remember purchasing Shenmue from bestbuy on a friday; I played it nearly nonstop till I beat it late afternoon on sunday. One day, some how I gotta beat Lan Di.

....can i take you for a ride... (I think everyone knows what I'm talking about)

[quote name='dejeckt']Do you guys remember hollywood videos had an early dreamcast promo?[/QUOTE]
Also reminds me how insanely priced the Hollywood Video version of Sonic Adventure has become among collectors. It's basically the Japanese version with English voice acting/text and a few missing features like Network Mode.

Also reminds me how Blue Stinger was somehow sold a week before the Dreamcast was even out.

Killed by the PS2, lack of EA sports, no DVD player, and some say piracy of the GD Rom disks.

Terrific system, but the PS2 was a public phenomenon. I preferred the system to the PS2. Sega still could have done a better job on some of its own ports, like Sega Rally, Daytona -- for some reason while the games looked good, they weren't as fun as their underpowered Saturn predecessors.

Honestly, lack of EA didn't really matter. Especially when Sega Sports made infinitely better games for the DC, as well as had the advantage of online play years before Madden attempted it.

I think EA Sports' line only really kicked in when they gained a monopoly on the football genre. I don't remember the Madden line being as big then as it is now.

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']I didn't buy one at launch but I wasn't too far behind... I couldn't handle not having arcade perfect ports of Soul Caliber (Maybe the best 3D fighter of all time, or at least the one with the most things to do) and NBA Showtime.

Other favorite games included the 2K sport games, Skies of Arcadia, Virtual Tennis, and Armada.

The later was completely awesome and rather ahead of its time as it blended RPG elements into another genre... This time a Shump. (And this concept should be robbed by some developer for a PSN/XBLA game.)[/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed armada , its sad that the sequel got canceled

[quote name='Tsukento']Honestly, lack of EA didn't really matter. Especially when Sega Sports made infinitely better games for the DC, as well as had the advantage of online play years before Madden attempted it.

I think EA Sports' line only really kicked in when they gained a monopoly on the football genre. I don't remember the Madden line being as big then as it is now.[/QUOTE]

No Madden, No NHL...people want their Madden and gamers today sill talk about NHL94, so hockey was big too.

[quote name='bsesb2003']No Madden, No NHL...people want their Madden and gamers today sill talk about NHL94, so hockey was big too.[/QUOTE]
I'd have to agree about the lack of Madden (although I personally find the games and sport boring) but NHL was on the DC. Blitz is an exception though.
nhl-2k2.377910.jpg

Anyways I picked up my DC late, shortly after the announcement that it was over. I worked at a game store at the time and I remember the price being $70. It was the last 1 we had in stock and I remember thinking "Maybe I'll wait for the next shipment" and the owner saying that their was no guarantee we could get anymore units. In the end I ended up buying it and still have it with me.
I also got a different shell case and changed it to blue. I don't have too many games, but their are still a few I'd like to get, like Sonic Adventure 2, Metropolis Street Racer, Seaman and Blitz.
My fave games are: Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue (totally blew me away), Virtua Tennis and Capcom Vs. SNK 2. At least I was able to get that last 1 for the PS1.
I even have the PS2 controller converter and the Bleemcast disc for GT2 :)

[quote name='maxim2boobles']I really enjoyed armada , its sad that the sequel got canceled[/QUOTE]

Very sad. I keep waiting and hoping for a spiritual successor to arrive on XBLA and/or PSN... I think it would do amazing in that environment. (Hell, I think a budget retail release would do amazing too.)

I still have 2 of them, I got one hooked up to my arcade machine and play my fighting games on it on a weekly basis.

Very nice. I have three of them. One that I got as a birthday gift in 2001 (was late to the party because I couldn't get another system due to parents' policy, plus the DC was $75 at the time), another that was a launch console that I bought from a flea market and came with 11 games and the original box, and finally a Sega Sports edition for $5.

i just picked up a dreamcast over the weekend at a flea market for $20......Anyone want to point me to the good games? Most are dirt cheap on goozex, which ones should I pick up?

bread's done
Back