Remote Car Starter

strikeratt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I need a good suggestion / deal on a remote car starter. Looking to give it as a xmas gift. One that's cheap with great reviews would be great. Or even recomended through experience. I can install it myself if needed.

I'm looking for one too. I would advise you to not install it yourself if you don't know what you're doing as you can seriously screw up you cars electrical system.

Also, these are a lot more expensive then they seem. I went to BB and was looking at the basic system they had for $130. The guy said that it would cost them another $150 to install it and add the transponder bypass. (since cars have chips in the keys these days to prevent theft) So what I originally thought would cost around $150, seems like it's going to be around double.

If anybody has questions regarding remote starters, PM me. I've been installing them for several years now and can advise you on if you'll want to attempt it yourself or not. I can also sell them to you cheaper than you'll find at BB.

[quote name='Hybrid5006']Also, these are a lot more expensive then they seem.[/QUOTE]

True, but they're worth every penny. I haven't had to use a key to crank the starter or unlock the door for close to a decade.

Car alarms are so common (and worthless) these days, yet people are still amazed when they see me turn my car on from far away/inside. It's a shame, really. Remote start should have won the key fob war.

Just make sure the person your giving it to doesn't have a manual car.

Surprisingly, most people don't know that these don't work in a manual car.

I've had such bad expeirnace with a car having a remote start installed....I would NEVER recommend a remote car starter (unless it can be put in by the factory)

i bought a used 1998 chevy lumina that had a remote starter (it came with it, bought it used) and the car had MAJOR electrical problems.. on numerous occasion I'd get in the car, turn the key and nothing would happen. I actually got out of the car and KICKED it. Got back in, and it would start! (I assume something was loose) it was sort of comical... but highly annoying

My dad bought my mother a remote starter for her 2002 ford explorer eddie bauer, a few weeks after installing it I borrowed her car to go on a ski trip, halfway up the road I decided to adjust the pedals (this model had adjustable pedals, and since im taller then my mom, I moved them back a few inches) the car immediately died with the "security" light on the dash popping up. I tried to restart it with no luck. The car had to be towed and my ski trip was ruined. (I'm pretty sure what happened was a wire was wrapped around the to of the pedal, and when I moved the pedals it riped it out of the box that bypasses the cars active security system)

With the Lumina I had i can't vouche for the install since it was used and already installed when I got it, but on my moms explorer was done at a professional shop that installs these all the time. just a word of advice...if you do get this installed, make sure theres some sort of Warranty.. and make sure they also have AAA :)

[quote name='Drnick']I've had such bad expeirnace with a car having a remote start installed....I would NEVER recommend a remote car starter (unless it can be put in by the factory)

i bought a used 1998 chevy lumina that had a remote starter (it came with it, bought it used) and the car had MAJOR electrical problems.. on numerous occasion I'd get in the car, turn the key and nothing would happen. I actually got out of the car and KICKED it. Got back in, and it would start! (I assume something was loose) it was sort of comical... but highly annoying

My dad bought my mother a remote starter for her 2002 ford explorer eddie bauer, a few weeks after installing it I borrowed her car to go on a ski trip, halfway up the road I decided to adjust the pedals (this model had adjustable pedals, and since im taller then my mom, I moved them back a few inches) the car immediately died with the "security" light on the dash popping up. I tried to restart it with no luck. The car had to be towed and my ski trip was ruined. (I'm pretty sure what happened was a wire was wrapped around the to of the pedal, and when I moved the pedals it riped it out of the box that bypasses the cars active security system)

With the Lumina I had i can't vouche for the install since it was used and already installed when I got it, but on my moms explorer was done at a professional shop that installs these all the time. just a word of advice...if you do get this installed, make sure theres some sort of Warranty.. and make sure they also have AAA :)[/QUOTE]

Sounds like both problems were from installer error. While I always recommend getting them professionally installed, some people insist on doing it themselves to save money and don't realize the damage they can cause to today's touchy electrical systems.

bread's done
Back