Remote play and PS3 power on/off

Jasonofindy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I just picked up a PSP using last week's Amazon bundle deal. When I attempt to use "remote play" it will only remotely connect to my PS3 if my PS3 is OFF first. If my PS3 is already on (doing nothing just sitting on the xmb), then the PSP fails to connect to it everytime. I receive a connection timeout error. This occurs no matter if I attempt it by connecting directly to the PS3 (straight timeout error) or through my wireless network. (the PSP successfully obtains an IP address from the network but then times out trying to connect to the PS3)

This isn't that big of deal since it will work if the PS3 was previously off, but I really didn't want to lhave to leave the "allow external power on" button checked on the PS3. (which I now have to do as the PSP has to initiate power on for the connection to be made) My understanding is that other people have had router issues that can cause spontaneous power ups even when you aren't using your PSP.

Anyone with any ideas why remote play won't just work if the PS3 is already on?

Thanks

Hmmm... from what I remember I was able to connect my PSP to my PS3 even when it was on. I haven't used the feature in quite a while, so I don't remember exactly. Let me play around with mine and I'll get back to you.

For what it's worth, I've had remote on enabled on my PS3 for at least 6 months and it's never once turned on by itself. I've got a Linksys WRT54G if that matters.

[quote name='jling84']Jason actually you're right, it doesn't connect if the PS3 is already on.[/quote]

Thanks for checking, at least now I know I haven't lost my mind. I have figured out that I can get it to work when it is already on, BUT I have to run upstairs first and manually select "remote play" in the XMB on the PS3.

For what it's worth, I've had remote on enabled on my PS3 for at least 6 months and it's never once turned on by itself. I've got a Linksys WRT54G if that matters.
This does help alleviate my fears a bit. However, there have been so many iterations of that router over the past few years there is no telling how similar our versions are, but it does put my mind at ease leaving it on.

Do you need to have the back power button on first on the PS3 for it to turn itself on through remote play? Or does it bypass that.

[quote name='Jasonofindy']Thanks for checking, at least now I know I haven't lost my mind. I have figured out that I can get it to work when it is already on, BUT I have to run upstairs first and manually select "remote play" in the XMB on the PS3.

This does help alleviate my fears a bit. However, there have been so many iterations of that router over the past few years there is no telling how similar our versions are, but it does put my mind at ease leaving it on.[/quote]

Yeah I have to do that too - select "remote play" in the XMB if the PS3 is already on.

However as to your second problem with the system randomly restarting... you need to try to fiddle around with your router settings a bit. Mine used to do that with a buffalo router I had, and after toggling different, common settings over and over, I pinpointed the problem to DMZ. Once I turned DMZ off or on (I can't remember which), the problem of the PS3 starting up on its own disappeared. Now I have the Netgear DIR-655 router and it has been giving me no problems at all.

[quote name='J7.']Do you need to have the back power button on first on the PS3 for it to turn itself on through remote play? Or does it bypass that.[/quote]

The back power button has to be on for the PS3 to turn itself on. When you enable "auto power on", it changes the power configuration for standby mode and leaves the wireless adaptor powered (as well as a small green light near the yellow HDD light). According to what I have read it also keeps a single fan running slowly as well to dissipate the heat of the wireless, but if it does I don't hear it. Although I would believe it because the system doesn't warm up like the Wii does on standby with WiiConnect enabled.

Jling- I haven't actually had the spontaneous power-ons. I had just read that other people had. and was worried about leaving my system in stand-by because of them. I'm probably going to just risk it as Mojimbo has the same router as I do and hasn't had any problems.

[quote name='J7.']What games do you guys have that work with remote play? Can you also view movies or anything else?[/quote]

I know PJ Monsters works, and although not my favorite way of playing it, it works OK. Also, I've heard MegaMan9 is supposed to work, along with Lair and ALL PS1 games (both DLC and discs inserted into the PS3). There's probably a better list on wikipedia or somewhere on the internets...

All movies, music, pictures, web surfing, and Life with Playstation work. It is also a feature in HOME (not sure if it works in beta).

If your PS3 is already on you need to connect to it vie Private Network. If it is off and you have the external power on enabled you connect via Internet. The external power on/Internet options are there for when you arent home and want to access your PS3. Mine works fine for both.

bread's done
Back