Renting a Car for Wedding: Opinions of Collision/Loss Damage Waivers?

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!
So my friend is getting married at the end of the month and I have to drive from Milwaukee to Louisville. My car is high on mileage so I want to rent a car.  My car insurance says it covers rental cars but only liability since I do not carry collision on my beater car. I do however have a AMEX card that does provide rental car damage coverage.  My question basically is do you think I should be fine between the personal insurance liability coverage and the AMEX rental car damage coverage or should I spend the money of the collision/loss damage waiver.  It usually runs like $28.99/day which is more than the dam car rental fee.  Hotwire does have their own version for like $9/day but I am not sure how good it is really.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rent all the time and I always waive the rental company insurance when i rent with Amex.    The shadier rental companies will try to tell you how you're responsible for the damages while you file your claim with amex, blah blah blah.   I don't even know if that's true.

Email amex and find out the level of protection on your card.  I'm sure they'll say you're covered.  Save yourself the $10 a day.

I rent a car about 10-15 times a year (US, Spain, France, Mexico, and Brazil), have done so for the last 10 years, and I've never had to use invoke any insurance policy. 

I decline the rental car company offering and use the combination of my personal and AMEX rental car coverage.. 

I know AMEX has an additional offering of a flat fee $25 per rental program you have to be enrolled in that covers more than their basic coverage and is an international plan.  I considered it once a few years ago when I started international travel but decided not to, and it's not been an issue.

I've had one accident on the way to the airport (other driver fault) and I was almost going to miss my flight waiting for the police to complete the report.   The car was drivable, I tossed the keys at the rental car agent, gave them the police report number and told them to call me.  Never heard a word.

If you're driving in a high risk area for vandalism or accidents, you might consider additional coverage but if not, don't worry about it. You're in the U.S., I don't think most capable, responsible adults need additional insurance for a routine trip in a normal car. 

Best of luck, what ever you decide and enjoy the wedding!

TMG

I would still stick to that plan, though I would second confoosious' advice to check with AMEX to see what their coverage in fact, covers.

I've had only one issue with a rental accident, which was my fault and I ran it through my insurance.  It's well in the past as that was three years ago.

If something did happen and say AMEX didn't cover it for some random reason, what would happen with your insurance if you turned in a claim?  Would it be an issue if you had prior claims and could be a surcharge issue?

I would still stick to that plan, though I would second confoosious' advice to check with AMEX to see what their coverage in fact, covers.

I've had only one issue with a rental accident, which was my fault and I ran it through my insurance. It's well in the past as that was three years ago.

If something did happen and say AMEX didn't cover it for some random reason, what would happen with your insurance if you turned in a claim? Would it be an issue if you had prior claims and could be a surcharge issue?
That would be my one worry since my normal coverage is liability only. IF AMEX decided not to cover the damage to the rental car my own insurance would not either since I do not carry comphensive/collision. I decided 6 months ago my car was no longer worth carrying it because the cost to total the car would not result in much of a return after the deductible. Its a 1998 Intrigue with like 176,000 miles. It still runs great but it has almost no value with the miles and some body wear. I have never been in an accident (knock on wood) so I feel ok with driving it to KY but that is why they call them accidents.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back