Repair or slim PS3?

WyldRyce

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
I'm in a mixed dilemma right now. My PS3 is about to crap out on me (http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235339) and I'm torn if I want to just buy a slim or just get it repaired from Sony. I was thinking about selling my current PS3 to add funds for the new slim, but I really don't know. Has anyone that sent one in to Sony have any problems with it? I really don't want to fork over $150 if it's just going to die on me again within a few months. Mind you, I don't care so much for BC since I don't play anymore PS2 games and I really don't like the new look of the slim. :cold:

Any suggestions?

well they give you a whole new refurbished system, so it shouldn't crap out on you anytime soon. I had my 40gb replacement for over a year before I sold it to buy a used 60gb. 150 is half of what a slim cost so its up to you, also it depends on which model you have.

You won't get much (sale/trade) for a busted system. So, you're choices are to spend $150 or $327 (incl tax) for a replacement PS3 system. Hmm...$150 for complete backwards compatibility, multiple built-in memory card readers, & 4 instead of 2 USB ports, or $327 for the Slim.

Seems like a no-brainer to me ;-)

you had a good point is that the flat price for all models or is it different for each ps3 or what the repair is??

[quote name='200STM']you had a good point is that the flat price for all models or is it different for each ps3 or what the repair is??[/QUOTE]

The $150 pricetag for repairs from Sony is a flat price for all models, but I've seen people quote that there's tax on top of the repair costs(which to me seems a bit fucked up since I don't think they charged tax on the PS2 repairs).

Thing is, if someone has enough time and patience, they can Google videos on how to open their own PS3's and if it's just a busted Blu-Ray lens, then the lens itself costs $70-80, which is half the cost of sending it to Sony.

man really i would just buy a new ps3 slim from dell. my rationale is that the new system, plus 1 year warranty is worth the extra 130 bucks.

plus i bet you can sell that system for 100 to 150 bucks on ebay either way. so youd really only be out of pocket for 180 to 130$ for a new ps3 with a 1 year warranty.

If you don't care about BC, and tried the FIX, then I would trade it into GameStop towards a PS3 Slim. You gt $150 towards the trade-in (not sure if you can get 10% more with EDGE)...

If it isn't actually dead, I don't see why you can't trade it in.

I don't believe the EDGE card stacked with my PS3's trade when I traded in my 40 gb about 2 weeks ago, though I don't see why it shouldn't have. Although, you normally get the 10% bump on the original TIV(which was $90 for a 40gb model).

EDIT: The $150 PS3 trade deal is going on till October 4th. It's $150 for ANY PS3 towards the purchase of a slim PS3.

PS3 Trade Up Offer

Get $150 toward the PS3 120gig by trading in your PS3, or $50 by trading PS2, extra controller, and a memory card.

Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offers. PS3 hardware subject to availability by location. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See tore associate for details. No deals. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 8/26/09 - 10/04/09.

I actually did the fix, and I traded it in to Game Crazy about 2 weeks ago. Got $160 for it versus Game Stop's $150. I actually got extra for the Six Axis controller also (which they marked it as a Dual Shock 3 :D) so basically I got $182 for the whole system.

And for the record, I traded in Battlefield Bad Company along with the PS3 and they messed up and gave me $27.50 for it. MVP included. So basically I only paid $90 for a brand new slim PS3. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back