Report: All PS3 Games Playable via Vita Remote Play

See, what I don't get about remote play is I have to keep my PS3 on...which seems like an incredible waste of electricity/money. I guess I just don't get remote play :(

[quote name='SynGamer']See, what I don't get about remote play is I have to keep my PS3 on...which seems like an incredible waste of electricity/money. I guess I just don't get remote play :([/QUOTE]
How would it stream the game to a Vita without it being on?

That's not bad actually. There are some ps3 games I'd like to play on the road. But for this to really work well we'd have to have ps3 games be playable from the hard drive. 10-20 ps3 games available to play anytime might not be so bad. I don't see myself ever using this feature but hey, you never know which is why I'm glad that they have the feature available.

edit: damn, I'm rambling aren't I?!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SynGamer']See, what I don't get about remote play is I have to keep my PS3 on...which seems like an incredible waste of electricity/money. I guess I just don't get remote play :([/QUOTE]

True, but think of it this way, you don't have to have a TV running (or a sound system) since you'll be playing on a Vita. And the Vita itself probably doesn't use as much power when using Remote Play so overall, you're probably looking at just a bit more power to play from PS3 to Vita... but think, it'll be nice to be able to play you PS3 without having to grad the system around.

If this is true, then it's awesome. Now, if Sony wised up and ditched the proprietary memory card format. But they won't, since this is basically their money making scheme for the system (since it requires a memory card). Seriously, $120 for 32GB is a joke in this day and age.

I get where the poster is coming from though, if you are at home and have to tie up the PS3 anyway, why not just play it on the system? I guess if you wanted to play Demon's Souls on the toilet there's that, but that's kind of a niche reason.

[quote name='Vinny']True, but think of it this way, you don't have to have a TV running (or a sound system) since you'll be playing on a Vita. And the Vita itself probably doesn't use as much power when using Remote Play so overall, you're probably looking at just a bit more power to play from PS3 to Vita... but think, it'll be nice to be able to play you PS3 without having to grad the system around.

If this is true, then it's awesome. Now, if Sony wised up and ditched the proprietary memory card format. But they won't, since this is basically their money making scheme for the system (since it requires a memory card). Seriously, $120 for 32GB is a joke in this day and age.[/QUOTE] I would think the vita would use more power when using remote play. Your using wifi or 3g to stream a ps3 game on a handheld. I don't see why it would use less. Just my thought, no confirmation

[quote name='guardian_owl']I get where the poster is coming from though, if you are at home and have to tie up the PS3 anyway, why not just play it on the system? I guess if you wanted to play Demon's Souls on the toilet there's that, but that's kind of a niche reason.[/QUOTE]

that's a damn good reason. Sometimes you might want to be in a different room from where your ps3 is. You might want to play PS3 and watch football, or be in the living room, or bedroom. This remote play feature would be especially good for RPGs where all you want to do is level grind, or explore.

Awesome feature. Personally, I would use the remote play feature extensively in my house since my PS3 is connected to the main TV in the family room. When my wife is watching TV, I would definitely be taking advantage of this feature. As things stand, I often play my PSP in the family when she's watching TV, so it really would be no different.

[quote name='guardian_owl']I get where the poster is coming from though, if you are at home and have to tie up the PS3 anyway, why not just play it on the system? I guess if you wanted to play Demon's Souls on the toilet there's that, but that's kind of a niche reason.[/QUOTE]
What if your TV is being used by someone else, you want to have something else on at the same time, or if you're in another part of your house/apartment while still wanting to game? Then you could stream a game, video, music, etc. to your Vita without needing to tie up the TV or go without it for a while. I don't think the point of Remote Play is to let you play games, videos, music, etc. that are on your PS3 exclusively with a Vita at all times, but when you won't be near your system or when you need to use the TV for something else and don't want to be blocked from using your PS3.

They have this for a few games on the PSP don't they? I tried it a few times, it was pretty slow and laggy. If they can fix that it would be a cool feature but if not, it's pretty useless.

It works on PSP for some PSN releases, Lair, and all PS1 disc-based games. I'd bet that the PSP's weak Wifi antenna is to blame for the lag in Remote Play, though we'll have to wait to see if this firmware update is real or not to see if the Vita's Remote Play is more playable.

Remote Play also works for videos, MP3s, and browsing. I didn't find it too laggy for the few PSN games it worked with, just overall poor support.

Now If someone can confirm either Remote Play Netflix (or a Netflix Vita app), and the ability to play Blu-Rays/DVDs via Remote Play, I'm preordering a Vita today.

If it works, then it's a great feature. Hopefully Sony adds support to all games for it.

Even if you don't use it, someone will and it's good to have more features than less :D

If this really is true I may have to buy a Vita when I would not have otherwise. Never even crossed my mind to buy one until I read this.

And either I am missing something or you guys are rambling on about having to have your PS3 on all the time for remote play, but you shouldnt have to as I thought there was a setting to allow you to turn on the PS3 with your PSP for remote play. And if so, I would imagine them doing the same for Vita.

I can see now how awesome this would be for me when I have to work late or on weekends. I just sit around waiting for tech to finish loading jobs and surf the net, now I could play some God of War and other Ps3 games while I wait?!?! Sign me up for that!

This would be great for traveling. You could remotely turn on your PS3 from a hotel room on the other side of the world and play your PS3 games, sweet.

[quote name='SynGamer']See, what I don't get about remote play is I have to keep my PS3 on.[/QUOTE]

The PSP is able to power the PS3 on and off via remote access/play. No idea why they wouldn't put that on Vita.

[quote name='smiggity']It will turn out to be another broken Sony promise[/QUOTE]
So it's Sony's fault that Eurogamer posted this rumor?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']So it's Sony's fault that Eurogamer posted this rumor?[/QUOTE]

Of course it is! Duh! I mean, why if we can't hold Sony accountable for rumors posted by other third-party sites, then who CAN we hold accountable!? :roll:

I'll admit, now that people are further explaining remote play, and specifically the option to turn the PS3 on and off remotely, I'm actually quite interested now :D

I was really directing that towards the original Remote Play feature of the PSP, which is nearly useless and was a broken promise by Sony, with their weak ass 5 game support. Feel free to scrutinize my comments if they really mean that much to you and you cant find more constructive ways to fill your time. Have at it

remote play is the reason i bought peggle, on sale, for psn. i wish more games supported it. i would also listen to music and podcast through my psp when i got a strong signal in other parts around my house. i was planning to get a vita sooner or later anyway so if this feature works with i'd be happy.

[quote name='smiggity']I was really directing that towards the original Remote Play feature of the PSP, which is nearly useless and was a broken promise by Sony, with their weak ass 5 game support. Feel free to scrutinize my comments if they really mean that much to you and you cant find more constructive ways to fill your time. Have at it[/QUOTE]

No you weren't. Your post clearly said: "It will turn out to be another broken Sony promise". You never said anything about 1.) Sony never promised us all PS3 games would be backwards compatible on the PSVita, and 2.) Your post made no mention of anything PSP-related. It was a generalized statement with no explanation. If you feel are are scrutinizing your unfounded and biased statement, than that's your choice. :)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']How would it stream the game to a Vita without it being on?[/QUOTE]

Sleep mode or standby

Anyone buying the phone version and why is it only 3G and not 4G

The main benefit I see is that you can play without tying up the TV, which can be used for other purposes. The question is going to be if the PS3 will be tied up or if you can use it for something else.

That being said, this is one of the features Nintendo was suggesting in their presentation of the WiiU.

[quote name='SynGamer']No you weren't. Your post clearly said: "It will turn out to be another broken Sony promise". You never said anything about 1.) Sony never promised us all PS3 games would be backwards compatible on the PSVita, and 2.) Your post made no mention of anything PSP-related. It was a generalized statement with no explanation. If you feel are are scrutinizing your unfounded and biased statement, than that's your choice. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for letting me know what I meant by MY statement. Glad you could clear that up for me. And lo and behold, would you look at this! Its another broken Sony promise!!!

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/12/19/remote-play-on-ps-vita-is-a-dud-right-now/

Don't be mad at me for not taking everything Sony says/shows as gospel. They are great at hype, not so great at execution. They have proved it repeatedly

[quote name='Naplex']2 Main reasons for remote play while at home: gf hogging the tv & want to play while lying down[/QUOTE]

Or while pooping.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I still don't get how Sony broke a promise that they never made.[/QUOTE]

I know, right? Weird how people rationalize things these days...

[quote name='smiggity']Its impossible to have you guys see it in neutral light. Take your head out of Sony's ass and maybe you can see[/QUOTE]Try answering the question you've been asked: what promise did Sony make that you think has been broken?

[quote name='smiggity']Its impossible to have you guys see it in neutral light. Take your head out of Sony's ass and maybe you can see[/QUOTE]

Neutral would be acknowledging that Sony NEVER promised remote play on the Vita...not sure why it's so hard for you to get that.

I heard that Sony broke this promise but the only thing I can find is Sony saying that it will have remote player for games that enable it. Which makes sense, for games that are being sold on both consoles, otherwise people will play games on both systems instead of spending $100 on both. I see them dancing around saying "Mo MONEY, Mo MONEY, Mo MONEY!!" Yes, in 16 days they will have my money

[quote name='Javery']Don't worry. CFW will certainly make this an option for everyone.[/QUOTE]

The Vita (and PSP) support remote play for every game. But there are only a few PS3 games that support it. So CFW won't change anything. It will require PS3 dev's to add that feature to their games. Sony provides a framework for dev's to do this, but I haven't done it, so not sure how much work is involved.

I am thinking that for PS4, Sony may mandate that all dev's add this feature to their games. If they did implement this mandate, they would likely beef up the frameworks so dev's had to do very little work to add the feature.

I didn't read the (false) euro gamer rumours. But after the E3 demo, I was under the impression that all games could do remote play. I don't recall if what they said during the demo.

I was getting a Vita for sure, when I heard this rumour, but as it turns out to be false, I think I'll wait for a price drop. Playing my PS3 backlog in bed, or when g/f is watching tv would be nice.

[quote name='Enuf']^^^^ DmC & Dead Space playable on vita thru remote play
http://www.dualshocknexus.com/2012/01/dead-space-devil-may-cry-4-running-on.html#!/2012/01/dead-space-devil-may-cry-4-running-on.html[/QUOTE]

This makes me want one so bad now. I'm in the middle of Dead Space right now (Ch.7) and would love to be playing right now, but the tv is being used as it is most of the day. (Why not use my own? Being able to play on a 60" Bravia is worth it.)

Price drop is the smart thing though. *Goes back to PSP Dante's Inferno*

[quote name='snowsquirrel']The Vita (and PSP) support remote play for every game. But there are only a few PS3 games that support it. So CFW won't change anything. It will require PS3 dev's to add that feature to their games. Sony provides a framework for dev's to do this, but I haven't done it, so not sure how much work is involved.[/QUOTE]

But the link says that the remote play has been achieved through CFW on the PS3 synced with an un-hacked Vita, for games that came out long before the Vita was even in development. If games like Dead Space are working, it doesn't sound like a feature developers would have to support, but something implemented through the system itself.

bread's done
Back