Report: Spider-Man could reboot and cross-over with Avengers (if Sinister Six movie fails)

Jcaugustine

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/10/07/spider-man-marvel-sony/?hootPostID=7c1b038a8036f7014d52339388e16826

Entertainment Weekly

Will Spidey be joining Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, and Black Widow on the big screen in the near future? No. Sources on both sides confirm that much. But a few years from now… that’s a possibility, at least according to EW’s sources. (Official reps for the two studios both declined to  comment.)

But that’s the extent of it: possibility. There are several variables that need to play out before anything concrete happens. Here are the facts as we hear them from several well-placed sources:

AvengersAssembled.jpg

1.) Sony isn’t interested in sharing its Spider-Man toy. Sony’s license has a ticking clock. Every three years, the company has to make a film utilizing the character; otherwise, the rights revert back to Marvel, which is now not only a comic book company but also full-fledged movie production house (owned by Sony’s rival studio, The Walt Disney Co.). When studios fail to exercise their license, the characters return home—which is what happened with Fox and Daredevil when plans for a reboot directed by Joe Carnahan went “up in smoke.” Now Marvel Studios has turned the blind superhero into a Netflix series. Sony has struggled to keep the franchise profitable after rebooting it with Marc Webb as director and Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker, they resent the idea that now is the time to throw in the towel.

2.) Sinister Six is definitely happening. There’s already a new Spider-Man movie in the pipeline at Sony, a villain team-up teased in this summer’s Amazing Spider-Man 2. It’s set for release in November 2016, which gives the project enough time to fix what might be broken in Sony’s current approach.

3.) The Faceplant Scenario could happen too. Sony may be resistant to the idea of partnering with Marvel Studios, but it isn’t stupid. The leadership at the Culver City studio knows that five films and 14 years after Sam Raimi helped to galvanize the cinematic superhero renaissance with 2002’s Spider-Man, the web-shooters may be out of juice come 2016. Even Batman went south, alienating moviegoers with fatal doses of camp; the property disappeared for many years before being resuscitated by Christopher Nolan. If Sinister Six flops, those fingers wiggling in front of Sony’s nose could well morph into a handshake with Marvel Studios. Only then, amid dismal box office receipts more than two years from now, would any deep negotiations be had about forging a hero-sharing deal between Sony and Disney that could team up Spidey and the Avengers.

4.) Marvel wants Spider-Man, but doesn’t need Spider-Man. This is why no one should expect any deal-making to happen soon. Sony wants to keep its character, and Marvel has plenty of other characters to occupy its schedule. But it was the success of 2002’s Spider-Man (and Bryan Singer’s 2000 blockbuster X-Men), that made the comic book company realize it might want to stop licensing its heroes and start making movies on its own. Marvel and Sony already share revenue on toys and other merchandise for the webslinger, and Marvel could easily kick in financing for a Sony film if it meant getting its character back for cameos or supporting roles in ensembles like the Avengers movies. But time is on both studios’ sides: If Sony bungles Sinister Six, Marvel is in a much stronger position to say, “Let us come in and help.”  That’s where a sharing partnership could come about. Or Sinister Six could crash so badly, and Spidey could become such damaged goods, that Sony simply surrenders the rights. Marvel gets what it wants in both scenarios. The only way it loses is if Sony wins big with its next installment.

5.) This won’t be your father’s Spider-Man. Marvel can’t sit around counting on having Spider-Man in a movie. There are just too many variables at play, and Marvel has a full schedule through 2019 anyway. If the rights came back to Marvel tomorrow (which, remember, is not remotely possible), the best you could expect is to see Spider-Man become a supporting player in one of the movies that’s already in the works. Given that Sony will have to wait until 2016 before the studio knows what it wants to do with the license, you probably couldn’t see a stand-alone Marvel-produced Spider-Man picture until 2020, or more likely 2021 or 2022. People who saw Raimi’s original Spider-Man as little kids would be able to take their own children to this one, a full generation after the first movie hit theaters.

The point is, this is a long-ball game. Titanic corporations are in a tug ‘o war over this character, and solid developments will take a long time to play out. A few tentative notes have passed between them, yes. That much is certain. But with great box-office power comes great intractability.

So...same rumor that's been going on for about two years or so now.

Eitherway I won't see Sinister Six after how bad the last movie was.

I didn't even see and don't plan to see Amazing Spider-Man 2 just alone from the trailers...looked terrible.  No interest in Sinister Six either...I hope the trend continues, and I hope there are no deals between Sony and Disney/Marvel.  Just let the license die...hopefully it will rise like a phoenix like Batman (Begins) did years after the craptacular Batman & Robin.

A big name like Spider-man is making these terrible movies and viewers are taking notice. But GotG comes along with these fringe/unknown characters and just nails it. I love it. It's like Marvel (or maybe James Gunn) saying "We know what the fuck we're doing."

Sinister Six will not flop. It doesn't matter how good or bad the movie is. As long as it makes Sony money (and it will) I don't see this happening. Slap Spidey's name on it and money in the bank.

A big name like Spider-man is making these terrible movies and viewers are taking notice. But GotG comes along with these fringe/unknown characters and just nails it. I love it. It's like Marvel (or maybe James Gunn) saying "We know what the fuck we're doing."

Sinister Six will not flop. It doesn't matter how good or bad the movie is. As long as it makes Sony money (and it will) I don't see this happening. Slap Spidey's name on it and money in the bank.
I Think it can be a flop in the Sony sense. Amazing Spider-man 2 I think made around 700 million, which should be considered a success, but Sony was expecting a billion dollar box office out of it. That and compared to the original trilogy the Spidey films have been getting lower and lower in box office return and the reviews have been less than stellar. Sony wants that big ol Avengers money because really they ain't got much in the way of franchise film's. So Sinister Six can fail as evidence by how Sony has rearranged dates on their Spider-man movies or trying to jump on trends to get whatever money they can (a female Spider-man bases spin-off film reeks of desperation).

I would like to see Spidey in the Avengers, but I think Sony will stick with what they're doing. I didn't see the second Amazing Spiderman and I'm okay with that. I have no interest in seeing it. 

IGN: Parent company Sony Japan not happy with Sony USA's handling of Spider-Man, may still want to renegotiate with Marvel

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/12/10/more-on-the-sonymarvelspider-man-situation

hqdefault.jpg

While that revelation came via leaked e-mails and documents (more fallout from the Sony hacking scandal) uncovered by The Wall Street Journal, today Latino Review reports on some additional inside info on the subject.

For starters, LR’s Da7e says his source indicates that the deal Sony ultimately rejected was not a Marvel trilogy of Spider-Man movies that Sony would control. While that was mentioned in The Wall Street Journal’s story last night, what Sony finally passed on was instead a co-production arrangement where Marvel and Sony would split Spidey movie costs 60/40 (Marvel paying the 60%). Yes, Marvel would’ve shouldered more cost, but they also would’ve regained creative control over the character and films. This scenario sounds much more like the kind of deal Marvel’s Kevin Feige would be interested in.

So that makes more sense in a real-world sort of way, but still, Sony reportedly passed on this approach, preferring to keep Peter Parker and his alter ego in their creative corner.

That said, LR’s sources also indicate that Sony Pictures’ parent company is none too pleased about the current situation at the studio and the internal communications and even movies that have leaked out. Additionally, they view “Sony Pictures’s handling of the Spider-Man property as disappointing. … Sony Japan thinks the Marvel deal for Spider-Man is still on the table and they want to renegotiate as a return to quality.” The sources also say that “the 60/40 split” can be negotiated and “Sony Entertainment’s October hard-line stance of wanting creative control is now mostly moot in the eyes of the higher-ups.”
There's an online petition now for it too:

https://www.change.org/p/sony-collaborate-with-marvel-in-regards-to-the-spiderman-franchise/share

It makes no sense for Sony not to lend out Spider-Man for Civil War and the 2 Avengers movies after.

Thy would obviously get some sort of cash out of it and more importantly, put their franchise out in the forefront. It only would help their Spider-Man movies with the exposure.

Now I'm reading Marvel would have recast it and had a clean slate. So that makes a little more sense as to why Sony would balk.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back