Reports of FALCON RROD trickling in - ugh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

xx2541

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
I just picked up an Elite and was searching the XBOX forums for some info. I came across this post of a few Elite owners who have new FALCON 65nm systems and have gotten the Red Ring of Death. Everyone seems excited about the 65nm chips but no one can seem to answer if it truly fixed the RROD problem. Hopefully this isn't as widespread as the older models. Maybe these are isolated incidents- but beware.

Dammit Micro$oft- FIX THIS PROBLEM ALREADY!! :bomb:

Thread Link below:

http://forums.xbox.com/17894151/ShowPost.aspx

EDIT: Here are some more links with FALCON owners getting RROD. Some of these posts need to be scrolled down to see the owners RROD comments:

http://forums.xbox.com/17947417/ShowPost.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZx3JdSXux8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stmZp4X7iOo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nFZntMUuz4

http://forums.xbox.com/18291883/ShowPost.aspx

Also, here is a weird harmless RROD error on the Falcons post(probably will turn to a fatal RROD in time) There seems to be a youtube video of this as well:

http://forums.xbox.com/17078389/ShowPost.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nFZntMUuz4

This probability makes me want to go Russell Crowe and toss a power brick at Home Alone 2 concierge Tim Curry.

I have a launch premium, a new falcon premium, and my little brother has a Falcon elite. None of those 3 consoles have ever had RROD. I really think people just don't take care of their stuff. My launch premium is still sitting pretty and running great. I don't play that one as much anymore, but I played that thing about 20 hours a week up until I bought one of the new premiums with HDMI about a month ago.

[quote name='jp0213'] I really think people just don't take care of their stuff. [/QUOTE]

Completely untrue. You will be hard pressed to find someone more anal about dust/ventilation/cleaning that me and I had the RROD. It really is faulty hardware and not the fault of the user.

On the original models I will believe that, but the new Falcon's? Until I see the setup of someone with a Falcon that got the RROD, I wont give their reports much credence. I'm not saying Falcon is the godsend either, but really, it is kinda hard to believe.

[quote name='jp0213']None of those 3 consoles have ever had RROD. I really think people just don't take care of their stuff.[/quote]

Take a long hard look in the mirror and slap yourself.

[quote name='omgu8myrice']just be happy that the BS rate of RROD we once had, is now slowly going down.[/QUOTE]

I'm still pissed that my replacement system sounds like I am blending ice when it reads a disc.

[quote name='jp0213']I have a launch premium, a new falcon premium, and my little brother has a Falcon elite. None of those 3 consoles have ever had RROD. I really think people just don't take care of their stuff. My launch premium is still sitting pretty and running great. I don't play that one as much anymore, but I played that thing about 20 hours a week up until I bought one of the new premiums with HDMI about a month ago.[/quote]

dont worry once it happens to you and you cant use any xbla/dlc offline, youll feel real salty.

[quote name='Poor2More']Im guessing the work of the PS3 Fanboys wanting to cause a ruckus but if not, then I would be surprised[/quote]

Yeah, blame the PS3 fanboys, because Microsoft has such a great record with console reliability. :roll:

[quote name='Plinko']Yeah, blame the PS3 fanboys, because Microsoft has such a great record with console reliability. :roll:[/quote]

as does sony.

but seriously, I've yet my console to RRoD. Some people are just plain stupid with their consoles and how they take care of them. Out of all my friends that have 360's, only one of theirs has red ringed... why? Because it was a launch console he kept in an enclosed area and overheated. Well, I have a news flash for you, THINGS DO OVERHEAT. IT'S NOT JUST THE XBOX360. And for the people that bitch about the noise the 360 may/may not make, stop your bitching, trade the system in/get rid of it, or simply just don't play it. It'll certainly make you look a lot less like a baby than coming on internet forums and bitching about how your 360 makes some noise.

[quote name='SL4IN']Because it was a launch console he kept in an enclosed area and overheated. Well, I have a news flash for you, THINGS DO OVERHEAT. IT'S NOT JUST THE XBOX360. [/quote]

This is completely unacceptable. I've owned just about every console over the last 25+ years and not a single one of them ever had a heating problem like the 360. I'm on my 3rd one and just last week the audio started to cut in and out after it's been on for about an hour - because of the heat. Plus, the noise is a problem - it sounds like a freaking jet engine.

Also, why shouldn't I be "allowed" to enclose it in an entertainment center or something? I don't want to stare at ugly ass electronics in my living room and neither does my wife. Maybe if I was in college or still living in an apartment I wouldn't really care. Plus, it would have a much shorter shelf-life if my kids can reach it. Every other console I own is inside my entertainment center and I've never had a single problem with any of them. Same thing with my receiver, router, cable box, etc. Microsoft has manufactured a complete piece of shit and still seems to continue doing so.

[quote name='SL4IN']as does sony.

but seriously, I've yet my console to RRoD. Some people are just plain stupid with their consoles and how they take care of them. Out of all my friends that have 360's, only one of theirs has red ringed... why? Because it was a launch console he kept in an enclosed area and overheated. Well, I have a news flash for you, THINGS DO OVERHEAT. IT'S NOT JUST THE XBOX360. And for the people that bitch about the noise the 360 may/may not make, stop your bitching, trade the system in/get rid of it, or simply just don't play it. It'll certainly make you look a lot less like a baby than coming on internet forums and bitching about how your 360 makes some noise.[/quote]

Cut your fingers off so I don't have to read this crap anymore.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Completely untrue. You will be hard pressed to find someone more anal about dust/ventilation/cleaning that me and I had the RROD. It really is faulty hardware and not the fault of the user.[/QUOTE]
I agree. As I am anal about taking care of my stuff and I am on my sixth 360 since launch. They were not all RROD as I think two had disc drive issues but at least 3 of my had the RROD.

[quote name='Malik112099']Cut your fingers off so I don't have to read this crap anymore.[/quote]

Thanks for the intelligent response. I can see why you're such a contribution to this thread.

@javeryh

Every console has had it's faults, why is it unacceptable when the 360 has it's? I'm not saying it's justifiable, but you and countless other people insist that the 360 is the only console ever to have problems and break down on you. The ONLY console I've ever had that has never broken and is what I would call a perfect system was the NES Toploader. I have never seen one break, they are quite frankly the most perfectly put together system ever. Consoles break, hardware has some problems. I'm sorry you've had bad luck, if you're so pissed about it, don't play the damn thing. And as I said before, the noise problem is completely objective. PC's make noise, how many times do you see a poster bitch about that?

I'm not justifying the faults of the 360, let alone the faults of any other console. All I'm saying is the bitching is getting old. Get of the bandwagon.

[quote name='rodeojones903']I'm still pissed that my replacement system sounds like I am blending ice when it reads a disc.[/QUOTE]

Heh.. and I thought it was bad when our replacement's tray wouldn't open.

[quote name='SL4IN']as does sony.

but seriously, I've yet my console to RRoD. Some people are just plain stupid with their consoles and how they take care of them. Out of all my friends that have 360's, only one of theirs has red ringed... why? Because it was a launch console he kept in an enclosed area and overheated. Well, I have a news flash for you, THINGS DO OVERHEAT. IT'S NOT JUST THE XBOX360. And for the people that bitch about the noise the 360 may/may not make, stop your bitching, trade the system in/get rid of it, or simply just don't play it. It'll certainly make you look a lot less like a baby than coming on internet forums and bitching about how your 360 makes some noise.[/QUOTE]

Xbox 360 Official coffin support group:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91772&highlight=coffin+support
3500 replies

My 360 died and I lived to tell about it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148060&highlight=died+lived
7500 replies

Ever seen a product/system with such huge threads dedicated to the death of a product among their respective communities? It's not all user error. Do I even need to mention the $1 billion that MS took out? They aren't doing that because their customers are idiots. They're doing that to keep from getting sued. Just because a few of your friends don't get RRoD (I've never had it either and I've owned several 360s...), doesn't mean everyone else is fucking up.

[quote name='Apossum']Xbox 360 Official coffin support group:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91772&highlight=coffin+support
3500 replies

My 360 died and I lived to tell about it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148060&highlight=died+lived
7500 replies

Ever seen a product/system with such huge threads dedicated to the death of a product among their respective communities? It's not all user error. Do I even need to mention the $1 billion that MS took out? They aren't doing that because their customers are idiots. They're doing that to keep from getting sued. Just because a few of your friends don't get RRoD (I've never had it either and I've owned several 360s...), doesn't mean everyone else is fucking up.[/quote]

Oh, I'm not saying everyone else is screwing up. But when I see Hillbilly Joe walk into my store and tell us that his 360 broke, I begin to question the "casual gamer" that is mostly driving the market today. And while they aren't threads dedicated to it, (atleast not here) what about all the class action lawsuits sony has had on numerous products of theirs, including the disc read error in the ps2? No one ever talks about that, they act like MS is the first console manufacturer to ever have a console that has some problems.

See, I was always under the impression that the Falcon board GREATLY REDUCED the chances of RROD, not completely solved it. Something like taking it from a 30% failure rate down to about 10% or less.

That, and now having read the link, so it's, uh, one guy? When reports of hundreds of people start 'trickling' in, I'll worry, but one guy doesn't worry me much. Hell, maybe he just got a bum console. What I love is that he's one of the people who traded in an old console THAT STILL WORKED to get a Falcon chipset. Now, to me, that's putting way too much faith in something you, in actuality, know absolutely nothing about.

I reiterate, this becomes news when hundreds or thousands of consoles start bricking. Until then, I'm not really that concerned, you know? As someone else pointed out, the only way to be disappointed in the Falcon board is to have seen it as the second coming of Jesus, not the band-aid that it really was.

[quote name='SL4IN']Oh, I'm not saying everyone else is screwing up. But when I see Hillbilly Joe walk into my store and tell us that his 360 broke, I begin to question the "casual gamer" that is mostly driving the market today. And while they aren't threads dedicated to it, (atleast not here) what about all the class action lawsuits sony has had on numerous products of theirs, including the disc read error in the ps2? No one ever talks about that, they act like MS is the first console manufacturer to ever have a console that has some problems.[/QUOTE]

everyone was talking about it before the 360 came out. :lol:

Guys guys guys, you don't fix whats not broken. MS is in a better position than ever before in terms of the XBOX franchise. Why would they change something that could possibly help them get into an even better position.

/sarcasm.

To think, MS could have already KO'd the PS3 if it never encountered these problems.

[quote name='SL4IN']
Every console has had it's faults, why is it unacceptable when the 360 has it's? I'm not saying it's justifiable, but you and countless other people insist that the 360 is the only console ever to have problems and break down on you. The ONLY console I've ever had that has never broken and is what I would call a perfect system was the NES Toploader. [/QUOTE]

The 360 has a much higher fail rate than other consoles, that's why it is unacceptable.

And it sounds like you have shit look, or use the fuck out of your consoles as I've had a regular NES, SNES, gameboy, gameboy advance, ds phat, ds lite, N64, original PS1, Original PS2, Gamecube, X-box, Dreamcast, Wii and 360 and thus far have had nothing break (knocks on wood for my 360 bought last October). All worked fine until I sold them off, or are still going strong with a friend I gave them to.

[quote name='jp0213']I have a launch premium, a new falcon premium, and my little brother has a Falcon elite. None of those 3 consoles have ever had RROD. I really think people just don't take care of their stuff. My launch premium is still sitting pretty and running great. I don't play that one as much anymore, but I played that thing about 20 hours a week up until I bought one of the new premiums with HDMI about a month ago.[/quote]

You should probably read alot more about this problem, and stop talking.

[quote name='SL4IN']@javeryh

Every console has had it's faults, why is it unacceptable when the 360 has it's? I'm not saying it's justifiable, but you and countless other people insist that the 360 is the only console ever to have problems and break down on you. The ONLY console I've ever had that has never broken and is what I would call a perfect system was the NES Toploader. I have never seen one break, they are quite frankly the most perfectly put together system ever. Consoles break, hardware has some problems. I'm sorry you've had bad luck, if you're so pissed about it, don't play the damn thing. And as I said before, the noise problem is completely objective. PC's make noise, how many times do you see a poster bitch about that?

I'm not justifying the faults of the 360, let alone the faults of any other console. All I'm saying is the bitching is getting old. Get of the bandwagon.[/quote]

I shouldn't have to explain why a 30% failure rate is worse than the 3% failure rate of typical consumer electronics. Plus, it's a faulty design that is making all of them break instead of the typical user error or manufacturing error. If I leave my 360 on all day it WILL break - it IS worse than any other system.

As for the noise, it IS loud. It just is. No other console makes as much noise. Comparing it to a PC is fine I guess but I don't play PC games and when I'm on the computer I'm not in front of the TV or on the couch. Also, my 360 is at least 3 or 4 times louder than my PC so there's that too...

The reason everyone puts up with this crap and bitches endlessly is because when the 360 does work like it is supposed to it is super fun to play.

I used to think that people just treated their stuff like shit, until mine RRODed too. I am ANAL about taking care of my stuff and mine did it.

M$ really needs to figure out how to fix this thing. Once mine with the RROD happened, I bought a new one with HDMI and so far its been stable. Probably won't stay that way though.

TBW

[quote name='dmaul1114']The 360 has a much higher fail rate than other consoles, that's why it is unacceptable.

And it sounds like you have shit look, or use the fuck out of your consoles as I've had a regular NES, SNES, gameboy, gameboy advance, ds phat, ds lite, N64, original PS1, Original PS2, Gamecube, X-box, Dreamcast, Wii and 360 and thus far have had nothing break (knocks on wood for my 360 bought last October). All worked fine until I sold them off, or are still going strong with a friend I gave them to.[/quote]

I never said I've owned every console.

The NES video would crap out after so many hours, but it was fixable. The PSX would die after so long (it was built to be disposable) because of too much play over time. The original PS2 had rampart problems with DRE's. The original XBOX had quite a few problems with the power supply dying. Yes, I get a lot of play out of my consoles, but from a hardware standpoint, the NES toploader is quite possibly the most perfectly put together system, and I've never seen one break. I work at a used video game store that also fixes consoles, and I've seen my fair share of all kinds of consoles come in broken and need to be fixed.

I don't understand why this problem isn't totally fixed yet... this is a gaming machine, not the human genome project...

We were talking about the RROD at dinner last night with my girlfriend's brother and dad (he works for IBM) and they are still totally baffled as to why the whole thing has yet to be fixed properly.

My first 360 lost all video, so I have had no RROD on my machines yet. It just doesn't make sense to me that this is still happening.

I'll hold my breath - no console has a 0% death rate, so it's to be expected that "Falcons," "Wingdings," and the other poorly named 360 boards will have RRODs happen. The heightened sensitivity of 360 owners to the problem would surely cause people to overreact and think "well, if the falcons RROD, then MS hasn't fixed the problem at all."

In reality, it may well have declined significantly since the 30%+ was rumored - but we won't really know as we accumulate anecdotes from those whose launch systems continue to die mixed in with a handful of falcons dying.

[quote name='SL4IN']The NES video would crap out after so many hours[/quote]

[quote name='SL4IN']the NES toploader is quite possibly the most perfectly put together system, and I've never seen one break.[/quote]

1201879244714xp3.jpg

[quote name='SL4IN']Oh, I'm not saying everyone else is screwing up. But when I see Hillbilly Joe walk into my store and tell us that his 360 broke, I begin to question the "casual gamer" that is mostly driving the market today. And while they aren't threads dedicated to it, (atleast not here) what about all the class action lawsuits sony has had on numerous products of theirs, including the disc read error in the ps2? No one ever talks about that, they act like MS is the first console manufacturer to ever have a console that has some problems.[/QUOTE]

So if a 'casual gamer' gets RRoDs on his 360, then it's questionable, but a hardcore gamer is credible? I absolutely love me some Xbox, but I can't deny that they are crappily made. Of the 14 360s I have owned, I have only gotten rings on two; However, nearly all of them eventually started to freeze up, or the drives would sound like they had broken glass in them during startup. In fact, my recent Falcon that I had all pimped out with the MS WiFi adapter and HD-DVD drive was awesome until a month ago when the friggin drive tray went out on me. If MS ever does a redesign, I would love to get a trayless drive.

[quote name='jp0213']On the original models I will believe that, but the new Falcon's? Until I see the setup of someone with a Falcon that got the RROD, I wont give their reports much credence. I'm not saying Falcon is the godsend either, but really, it is kinda hard to believe.[/quote]

Quit arguing with this guy ^, it's obvious that it's impossible for hardware to malfunction.

Wow- are you serious? Are you related to Bill Gates?

I'm on my 3rd 360 since launch. While it is possible for you to get a Xenon that was built perfectly and won't fail, its unlikely. There were a number of problems which all cause the system to RROD, most of them stem from inadequate cooling which causes the clamps holding the heatsinks to the board, and eventually the board itself to warp. There were also problems with manufacturers having no experience with the new lead-free solder, leading to a very common problem with bad solder joints.

This has all been confirmed by insiders.
http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/digitaljoystick/archives/129866.asp

The RRoD means a hardware failure. It doesn't mean it has anything to do with the problem that plagued the original models. All electronic devices can fail. My PS3 died after 2 months. It doesn't mean that there's a design flaw with the PS3. It is impossible to "cure" the RRoD because it is impossible to manufacture electronic devices with a 0% failure rate. The design flaw that caused the astronomical failure rate of the original model has been fixed though, and unless a different flaw pops up, this is a non-story; just a random hardware failure.

[quote name='tgk2044']apparently i don't have enough "ventilation" for my 360 when it got the RROD....

[/QUOTE]

You mean you didn't buy the official MS air suspension wires?

Improper cooling is a manufacturing problem in this case. The proper cooling (fans, thermal paste, heat sinks) needs to be in place from the get-go and shouldn't be relied on the end user... Especially not a console! The major selling point of any console today is the fact that it can be used as a home entertainment media center. Companies shouldn't expect everyone to be "cooling gurus." Regardless, proper cooling doesn't even require much. Also, with past consoles, failure was more of a rarity and not at common as the RRoD.

All 360 owners I see on the web are the same, your hypocritical about your own 360 and how it's never failed until the one day it actually does... you'll see.

I'm currently waiting on my 2nd 360 to arrive back from the repair shop... Until then I bought a PS3 to hold me over. :cool:

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']Quit arguing with this guy ^, it's obvious that it's impossible for hardware to malfunction.[/quote]

Where in any of my posts did I say hardware couldn't malfunction? I did say that none of my hardware has died, even the launch console that I played continuously for 2 years before I bought a new HDMI enabled Premium. I also never said the Falcon's couldn't die, just that I wouldn't take the reports of the death serious unless I seen a decent setup. Of all of my friends who have had their 360's die, they had it shoved in a little entertainment center cubbie-hole with no outlet for the hot air. I've never had my 360s flat, I've always had them stand up. Granted, I'll admit on the first model, without a steady base the drive did scratch a couple of my discs. Once I seen what the problem was I relocated where I had the 360 so it was on a steady and level area.

I've had big problems with two consoles. One was an original Xbox, that I had the power supplies go out of and the controller daughterboards die like crazy. The other one was the PS2. I went through 3 of those consoles. I bought one at launch and the laser crapped out after 3 months. The replacement I got did the same thing. I'm now sitting at a version 7 PS2 that is holding up quite nicely.

I will definitely agree with mykevermin and say that no console has a 0% death rate. I'm not naive enough to think that no 360 will die ever. All I was trying to say was that I personally had no issues with any of mine and haven't seen one die without there being an issue with the ventilation. I'm not excusing the design flaws that were definitely evident in the launch consoles. Up until the time I replaced it, I was always afraid, despite my best efforts, that it was going to die in the middle of a game. Luckily it didn't and I do feel blessed by that. I'm also not denying that there could be new problems with the newest boards, but until I see more concrete evidence than someone crying that theirs died and a larger number of people with the same story, like the original models, I wont place too much faith in those reports.

[quote name='jp0213'] I personally had no issues with any of mine [/quote]

you can't use your personal account of the reliability of a console (which has sold over 12 million units) as a blanket statement for all of them. No one has issues with the 360 till they have issues. I'm willing to bet if one red rings on you, your tone will change and you will join the masses with the same experience. I didn't complain once until my 360 died a little over a year after I owned it...then guess what? I complained.

I agree that there was MORE than enough evidence on the initial launch consoles to say that there was a definite fault in the product. So far I've seen about ten or so reports, which includes the one that started this thread, with a Falcon board dying. I'm not saying I'm going to see them all either, the evidence behind the newer boards having the same defects just isn't there. Someone's personal account of a failure in the product doesn't mean the entire line is defective.

[quote name='Apossum']You mean you didn't buy the official MS air suspension wires?[/QUOTE]

nope, they were overpriced ;)

Can we just stop arguing with jhp0213? I know it is an election year, but I tire of arguments that cannot ever be resolved due to unshakable underlining tenets.

I've been through two Elites, however both had DVD drive failures. ((Displays "Open Tray" regardless of what is put into them.)) The two of the three available drives for the 360 can be found in /any/ variant of 360 chipset. To me, this is more of an issue. Microsoft will repair RRODs for three years, but will only address other hardware problems for a year.

In during cognitive dissonance.

I totally believe that Falcon consoles have started to RROD, but only because I've lost all faith in Microsoft.

They'll have tons of fun getting people to buy their next console at launch.

[quote name='tgk2044']apparently i don't have enough "ventilation" for my 360 when it got the RROD....

[/QUOTE]
:rofl: It needs to be closer to the freezer but not too close to the ice cream.

Also I like how the piece of paper on the board says GO RED!

[quote name='GTzerO']In during cognitive dissonance.

I totally believe that Falcon consoles have started to RROD, but only because I've lost all faith in Microsoft.

They'll have tons of fun getting people to buy their next console at launch.[/QUOTE]

"carry over your gamerscore!" = massive sellthrough.

Besides, the PS2 wasn't hurt on account of the PSX's reliability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back