Reputable PS3 repair (GTA)

Cthulhu8u

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
My 60GB overheats within minutes of turning it on. I've changed the thermal paste, popped a Talsimoon fan in, and tried the copper shim trick, but no dice.
SO now I want to get the old girl running, but would like your experiences with a repair shop. I've been eyeing Gamerama and LeetMods. Based on the name alone, LeetMods sounds like a outdated joke, but they are closer to me (Brampton) and seem to offer fast turnaround. Plus it's only $65.
I don't know much about Gamerama other than they are downtown (further) and I think they charge more. Not sure if there is a one hour turnaround either.

Anyone else have info on these places or a better recommendation?

So I called Gamerama, what a joke :roll:

Click for the long version
The genius on the phone wanted to sound like he knew what he was talking about, but was definitely talking out of his ass. After peppering me with some preliminary idiotspeak, I told him the system was overheating 2-5 minutes after turning it on. He says it could be the laser, that the system might have been overheating from not being able to read the game discs. :whistle2:s
I explained that it was overheating WITHOUT running anything (like a game), hence the overheating after 2-5 minutes after turning it on. He gave me more idiotspeak about how their staff of experts would determine whether that was the cause or not, because maybe it could be the power supply.
To move the conversation on to something that made more sense, I asked whether they do a reflux or a full reball. Well I just shouldn't have gone there. He goes on about me not knowing what is wrong with the system until their experts look at it, that I had no idea why it is failing, so to even talk of such things over the phone is nonsense! He then proceeds to explain to me what reballing and refluxing is (needed that, thanks), and that reballing was fixing the solder joints and adding... "stuff" to it (like actual solder lead, you tool?).

Long story short is stay away from them, because if their repair staff is half as retarded as the guy who answers the phone, then they'll rip you off. I know my way around building and repairing PC's well enough to know more than the guy on the phone, who had no idea what he was talking about.

I also called Leet-Mods, which also goes by Fast-something now, thank god for that. The word Leet doesn't belong in anything other than clans full of 14-year-olds, I think it went out with using a "z" at the end of words to sound more "street", yo. The guy who answered the phone sounded normal and wanted $110 for a reball, so I guess I'll shop around a bit to see if I can do better.

so wait, does the little xmb text popup saying it's overheating & then it does the 3 beeps thing?

since you opened it up, was it dusty or with loose parts? i'm wondering if it's just getting faulty sensor data

i'm just speaking from my personal experience here dude, but the 60gb's are more trouble than they are worth to keep running. you should just get a nice slim ps3 and slim ps2, and enjoy your c0ooler running power saving systems. no matter how many times you get them fixed, the 60's are gonna fail again and again.

Please keep us updated. I'm in Cambridge, but I would travel some to find a reliable place that does a reball. All the places around here that I looked into either don't or are flaky.

I did get a slim, but I would like to get my saves (PS1, 2, and 3) off it as well as have it as a backup.

Mkay, so I sent it to LeetMods (now called FastTech) and to make a long story short, it's still broken. The reball didn't fix the problem, and the repairshop owner speculated that the thermal sensor on the motherboard must be kaput, and telling the system it is overheating when in fact it is not. I can see this being the problem since when I tried to repair the system myself, I ran it with the case off and used one of those infrared thermometers to measure the RSX (well, as closely as I could). The system was shutting down at about 45-50 degrees celsius, which seemed odd to me since it doesn't seem that hot to me for a processor. Even my old Athlon XP could reach 70 degrees and not complain. The only fix for that is sending it to Sony.
I agree these old PS3's aren't worth it really, they're noisy, bulky, hot and delicate. I also have a slim and it rocks. Guess I'll replace the old 60GB with a slim once the rumoured price drop happens, I have some BB credit and reward certificates anyway. So anyone want to buy my old 60gb for parts? :p

bread's done
Back