REQ: Help me determine when to buy PS3

Davideo

CAGiversary!
Okay, so the holidays are over, and I just got my warranty giftcard back on my Xbox 360 @ CC for $400. I already have another 360, and I want a PS3 for it's blu-ray and Uncharted. So I am looking for B&M sales that I can pricematch/buy at C.C.

Anyways, I was wondering when the best time to buy a PS3 is going to be. Has anyone heard of any new models/bundles coming out in the U.S.? Is the 6-axix rumble controller soon to be bundled? Anything else that you've heard? like free controller w/ purchase, etc etc.

Thanks !!!
(PS - I don't start threads like ever, so I hope this is in the right spot and not a newbie topic, but no one seems to be talking about PS3 deals at B&M stores)

1. The controller that you're thinking of is called the Dualshock3. I've heard nothing of it being bundled with newer PS3s instead of the Sixaxis, only that it is to be sold as a stand-alone product soon in the US.

2. There are no confirmations of new bundles/configurations/SKUs coming out in the US as of now. However, there were unsubstantiated rumors of an MGS4 PS3 bundle a while back. Other than that, there is the DMC4 PS3 bundle, which is Japan only so far.

3. No one seems to talk about PS3 deals at B&M stores because there are none. Save for a misprint (like the one I posted months ago), gaming hardware is rarely, if ever, discounted at B&M stores. I think the reason is because hardware is sold at a loss, or something like that.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']When walmart does another get 10 blu rays free deal[/quote]

Wasn't that a BF deal? I suppose waiting until next BF to buy a PS3 is also an option; if you're willing to hold off that long - then by all means go for it. By that time, maybe Sony will get around to releasing that white PS3 in the US.
And maybe another price drop.

[quote name='zephie']1. The controller that you're thinking of is called the Dualshock3. I've heard nothing of it being bundled with newer PS3s instead of the Sixaxis, only that it is to be sold as a stand-alone product soon in the US.

2. There are no confirmations of new bundles/configurations/SKUs coming out in the US as of now. However, there were unsubstantiated rumors of an MGS4 PS3 bundle a while back. Other than that, there is the DMC4 PS3 bundle, which is Japan only so far.

3. No one seems to talk about PS3 deals at B&M stores because there are none. Save for a misprint (like the one I posted months ago), gaming hardware is rarely, if ever, discounted at B&M stores. I think the reason is because hardware is sold at a loss, or something like that.[/quote]

ka-ching!
i believe sony's actually losing money from their ps3s, because they've added blu-ray drives to all the systems. so ive read.

[quote name='musics_muse']ka-ching!
i believe sony's actually losing money from their ps3s, because they've added blu-ray drives to all the systems. so ive read.[/quote]

Actually, I'm pretty sure that every company (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft) loses money on their systems then tries to break even and eventually make profit on software sales.

Microsoft has stated that the XBox just made back for them what it cost to produce during its lifespan. While that would be considered a failure economically (people are in business to make money), they looked at it as a great way to get their foot in the market.

But yeah, sell system at loss, recoup in software.

[quote name='thelonepig']Actually, I'm pretty sure that every company (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft) loses money on their systems then tries to break even and eventually make profit on software sales.

Microsoft has stated that the XBox just made back for them what it cost to produce during its lifespan. While that would be considered a failure economically (people are in business to make money), they looked at it as a great way to get their foot in the market.

But yeah, sell system at loss, recoup in software.[/quote]
I don't think that Nintendo loses money on hardware, at least as far as the DS goes. Why? Because
printsmoneyiv5.gif

Ya, I know that there won't be a "sale" but I wasn't sure when the new dualshock 3 was coming out, and I also wasn't sure if anyone in the retail world (or someone like speedy) had seen any upcoming bundles or *bonus offers*.

Should I be at all concerned about buying a 40GB version if I don't own any PS2 games/controllers/accessories?

[quote name='Davideo']
Should I be at all concerned about buying a 40GB version if I don't own any PS2 games/controllers/accessories?[/quote]

No, because the 40GB PS3 is not backwards compatible with the PS2.

[quote name='zephie']I don't think that Nintendo loses money on hardware, at least as far as the DS goes. Why? Because
printsmoneyiv5.gif
[/quote]

Actually, the wii is sold at a profit too, the ds hardware is a big source of revenue for Nintendo

Also, the 360 is sold with a $75 profit as of November, 2006.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061116-8239.html

I recently purchased an 80GB Playstation 3 from Overstock.com for $449 after a 10% off coupon. The deal is dead now, but look around online for good deals. For example, you can get the 80GB Playstation 3 at Buy.com for $484 after a $15 off coupon. It doesn't sound like much, but free shipping and no tax beats out any retail store deal.

EDIT: I just reread your post, and it looks like you have to buy your PS3 from Circuit City. It might be hard to find any "money off" deals at CC or any other brick and mortar. For the holiday season, the retail stores usually just threw something additional with the PS3, like an extra controller, extra blu-ray disks, the PS3 remote, or even a game or two. The problem with these deals is that the price match policies usually do not apply, especially at Circuit City or Best Buy. Those two stores in particular usually refuse to match "free item" offers. Honestly, I don't really see any point in waiting. If you want a PS3 now, just get it now and enjoy it.

[quote name='darkclawsofchaos']Actually, the wii is sold at a profit too, the ds hardware is a big source of revenue for Nintendo[/quote]
Oh, I know the Wii sells at a profit. I just phrased my post that way to provide an excuse to post that gif.

[quote name='zkmusa']Also, the 360 is sold with a $75 profit as of November, 2006. [/quote] Good for M$. Maybe now they can afford to FIX THAT DAMN RED RING OF DEATH!!!!1!!!

Back on topic. Davideo, hold off on buying a PS3 until after CES. There are ridiculous and wholly unsubstantiated rumors regarding a price drop/new SKU to be announced at CES by Sony, supposedly to counter Bill Gates' big announcement regarding the 360 during his keynote. The rumors are nowhere near credible, but who knows...

Nintendo is the only company that doesn't sell the systems at a loss. Not that that it contributes anything to this thread's purpose...

I really appreciate all of your guy's comments (even the off-topic ones)!! I do hope to buy soon, but I can wait if warrented. I will see if I can dig into some of the CES rumours, but I will keep checking here for more of your comments!

Also, I know quite a few people at the C.Cs and they are usually pretty good about matching the bonus offers for me. -- I used to work there --

The only reason I can think of that you may want to buy your PS3 before 1/31 is that the 5 free blu-ray movie deal is set to expire then. Granted, this was a deal originally set to expire back in October and was extended, so it may get extended again but I haven't seen any evidence of this yet.

MS might be making a profit on the system itself, but when you factor the number of red-ring returns and customer service hours, I'm sure that profit gets eaten up fairly quickly.

I would say "never" JK but I have had my PS3 since launch and have yet to enjoy a single game on it except for the Gran Turismo Demo. I have been mainly using mine as a BR player just because of the lack of entertaining software out there. I have always been a fan of Sony but they really dropped the ball on this. Maybe there will be a better success rate with the PS4 in 2020. :)

My two cents.

[quote name='thelonepig']MS might be making a profit on the system itself, but when you factor the number of red-ring returns and customer service hours, I'm sure that profit gets eaten up fairly quickly.[/quote]

the money set aside for the red ring fixes and the profit from selling hardware are more than likely different pots

Whatever you do, wait until AFTER CES, because there is always the chance some new promo, new SKU, or price drop could be announced at CES (but i think that the main one possible is a new promo). Anyways, CES is next week, so just hold out one more week ;)

[quote name='zephie']
Back on topic. Davideo, hold off on buying a PS3 until after CES. There are ridiculous and wholly unsubstantiated rumors regarding a price drop/new SKU to be announced at CES by Sony, supposedly to counter Bill Gates' big announcement regarding the 360 during his keynote. The rumors are nowhere near credible, but who knows...[/quote]

I agree

keep an eye out for the Warehouse amazon sale on the 60 GB or look for one of the walmart amz type bundle sales to get the free Blu Ray movies etc,
either way try to get a 60 GB I am very happy with mine and the BC is really important feature.

[quote name='Davideo']Is the 6-axix rumble controller soon to be bundled? Anything else that you've heard? like free controller w/ purchase, etc etc.[/quote]

If I remember correctly, the Dualshock 3 will start off being sold separately but once they can keep up with demand it will replace the current controller that comes with the PS3.

As for when to buy it I would say wait a bit if you can. What people have been saying about deals being few and far between is right. Let CES and the holiday/1st quarter sales come out and see if Sony does anything to increase their sales or match competitors offers.

If you cant wait, then now is as good a time as any to join the Sony party.

[quote name='zephie']
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davideo
Should I be at all concerned about buying a 40GB version if I don't own any PS2 games/controllers/accessories?

No, because the 40GB PS3 is not backwards compatible with the PS2.[/quote]

One other difference between the 40GB and the 60/80GB PS3's is that the 40 only has 2 USB ports and if I remember does not have the media card reader. The 60GB and 80GB have 4 USB ports and the media card reader. Just my 2 cents.

[quote name='Malik112099']read the thread you are posting in.....[/quote]

Also keep in mind that since that is from 2006 it is pre-price drop.

The $75 number was based on a $399 pro unit. Which now costs $350 in retail stores.

However, I don't doubt that MS is making money on consoles.

I know that the CES isn't over, but it doesn't look like MS speech was all that exciting, and nothing new on the x360 front.... sooooo, I can't forsee anything new coming from the PS3/Sony front either.

Looks like I might just buy the PS3 this week from CC w/ a ToysRus price match and get the free remote.... Plus I'll have 30 days to price match any new upcoming deals.

E3 is WAAAAY to far away, and I don't know that anything else will pop-up till then. amirite?

[quote name='Davideo']I know that the CES isn't over, but it doesn't look like MS speech was all that exciting, and nothing new on the x360 front.... sooooo, I can't forsee anything new coming from the PS3/Sony front either.

Looks like I might just buy the PS3 this week from CC w/ a ToysRus price match and get the free remote.... Plus I'll have 30 days to price match any new upcoming deals.

E3 is WAAAAY to far away, and I don't know that anything else will pop-up till then. amirite?[/quote]

Apparently, Sony is having a PS3 showcase tomorrow. It's most likely just demos of MGS4, LittleBigPlanet, and others; there are no rumors of price drops or new SKUs to be presented at said showcase. You never know, though; Sony might pull something tomorrow that will surprise us all. However, if you are set on a PS3 soon, that TRU deal is not a bad way to go.

Chris Kohler seems certain of both a new SKU and a price drop before the end of the year, maybe earlier into the year.

Regardless of all that, I'm sure some SKU reconfiguration or another will come in 2008, accompanied by a price drop to $300 for this holiday for the low end and $400 for the high end. That much is for certain. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see said drop well in advance of the holiday.
http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/01/opinion-gamelif.html#more

This jives with the following model of price drops for consoles that are not in the lead, as posted elsewhere:

Gamecube:Xbox:As you can see, just under a year before the first drop for both, and also the PS3. For xbox, 2nd drop came at just about a year, Gamecube was just over a year.

Assuming that the PS3 follows in similar pattern, You might see a price drop late Q3, early Q4.

No you won't PS3 has all ready dropped price, and with sony winning the HD-DVD war they have no incentive to drop prices, esp. with the hot new games exclusive games coming out for the PS3 this year.

bread's done
Back