Request: Looking for advice/deals on a decent video card

argyle

CAGiversary!
Feedback
124 (100%)
I'm considering getting a video card for my pc to do a little gaming on it. I don't want cutting edge. I also have no interest in buying a new pc - I bought this one last year to use mainly as a file/print server, but if I can add a card & get a little gaming out of it, I will. I'm running a dual core 2.8, 6gb RAM & Win 7 Home Premium 64bit. I'd preferably like to stay around $100 or less. I *might* go as high as $150, but it would have to be a really big performance jump over what I could get for cheaper to justify it for me.

Also, whatever I get needs to have a hdmi out on it, since I plan on hooking the pc up to my tv in the den.

Thanks!

I can't speak for the new generation of video cards above the 200 series that much but I do have relative understanding. In other words, don't take my suggestion heavily.

Based on what you said, These are the best two I could find under $150:

http://dealspl.us/Graphic-Cards_deals/p_evga-01g-p3-1450-tr-nvidia-geforce-gts-450-1gb-gddr5-video

It has a rebate! When you click the link, you will save more money on the Amazon Link. Amazon sells it for $119.99 but after the rebate it will be $89.99. The other links there will not save you anymore.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-...8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1306209525&sr=1-8

It has a bit more "oomph" for a bit more. It also has rebate.
Hope I helped =)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd check what your power supply is. If its pre-built it probably has a small power supply. And most current video cards require more power then it can handle.

Good point, I haven't thought of that. I was lazy & got this one from Dell, so I'll need to check that. Assuming my system can handle it tho, the second card fezlopez posted looks pretty good.

Thanks guys!

A Radeon 5770 is more powerful than that 450, and comparable to the 550ti, and since it's a slightly older card, you might find one for cheaper. This one is just over $100 after rebate.

But definitely make sure the PSU is up to task, being that it's a Dell, I'm betting not, since they try to get by with the bare minimum to help keep costs down.

Yup, checked and no dice - it's a 300w. Ironically, the pc I built for my wife a couple years ago is a much better gaming rig, because I've been using my laptop more than my desktop lately. :p

Anyway, thanks again for all the advice guys! :)

If you wanted to get a lower-end card that would still play games (albeit at lower resolutions/quality) you could get a home theater card like the Geforce 520 which only requires a 300W power supply, and would give you some graphics power for games. And it's only $50 after rebate.

I'm actually moving into plan B. I'm going to see if I can sell my current pc, if so I have enough parts around so that all I need to build a new one is a mb, cpu & video card. :)

bread's done
Back