Resealing games and selling them as new should be outlawed...

Law_Professor

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Excuse my rant, but I'm fuming. I just bought two games on eBay and they both arrived RESEALED. I can identify them pretty easily, as I also have a real, unopened copy of Pokemon Platinum right in front of me. The plastic is sealed in different places, and is of different quality.

When I opened one of the games the Club Nintendo registration was also missing.

The seller of these games said they were BRAND NEW and SEALED.

Well, they're not fucking brand new!

ARGH!

:bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:

That sucks... be sure to leave a factual/reasonable negative so you can stick it to him good.

Let me piggyback with a question of my own - has "new" become the next listing catchphrase, kinda like how every older game is now listed as "rare"? There seems to be a large jump in listings proclaiming the game to be "new", I never actually look through the descriptions but for alot of them I'm almost always thinking it's loophole phrasing... kinda like the "sealed" issue the OP came across. Am I correct in my assumptions?

What games? There are plenty of DS games that use that cheaper looking reseal with the tiny holes and visible seams instead of the crisp plastic with Y-Folds. Konami, Majesco and Ubisoft are pretty blatant about this, I just had a buyer complain about a Castlevania Portrait of Ruin shrinkwrap, but that's just how they come. EA also does this from time to time (the 07 sports game in particular for ds and psp have some wretched shrinkwrap)

Dave

[quote name='eastshore4']Let me piggyback with a question of my own - has "new" become the next listing catchphrase, kinda like how every older game is now listed as "rare"? There seems to be a large jump in listings proclaiming the game to be "new", I never actually look through the descriptions but for alot of them I'm almost always thinking it's loophole phrasing... kinda like the "sealed" issue the OP came across. Am I correct in my assumptions?[/QUOTE]

I don't see how this is a loophole. Ebay tells you what each condition means, and misrepresenting it by their definitions is a violation of Ebay TOS.

What "new" means

An item is considered "New" when it meets the following guidelines:

It's in the original condition from the manufacturer, distributor, or retailer.

It has not been refurbished or used for any purpose.

It has no known defects or damages.

Handmade or custom-made items that have never been used for any purpose can also be considered “new.”

Note: Item condition is not an indication of the item's age. If you know the age of the item, specify the creation and/or release date of the item (for example, Fall 2008) in the listing description.

[quote name='MightySlacker']What games? There are plenty of DS games that use that cheaper looking reseal with the tiny holes and visible seams instead of the crisp plastic with Y-Folds. Konami, Majesco and Ubisoft are pretty blatant about this, I just had a buyer complain about a Castlevania Portrait of Ruin shrinkwrap, but that's just how they come. EA also does this from time to time (the 07 sports game in particular for ds and psp have some wretched shrinkwrap)

Dave[/quote]

This was for Professor Layton and Mario Kart DS.

I'd feel like an idiot right now if those were games that use cheaper shrink wrap, but I doubt they do. :)

It's harder to find a good deal these days with idiot sellers: I saw some games listed as "Brand New - used only twice" on Amazon, which comes immediately to my mind. I forgot which game it was specifically, but that's a case of when the seller is misrepresenting an item.

Some sellers may genuinely not now how a game is resealed - sure, they could reseal it, but the seller may be a reseller and purchased it that way, and was told it was brand new, not knowing any different.

So only the registration codes were missing...not the Nintendo Power inserts? That sounds like the seller/original seller collected codes for Club Nintendo.

Definitely a "tip off" that they were missing. And no, Nintendo published DS games generally do not come in the cheap wrapping.

Before getting angry and leaving bad feedback over this ordeal why not contact the seller first? They may have purchased it this way not knowing it was re-sealed. I've purchased DS games in the past that were brand new but had really shitty shrink-wrap.

[quote name='Rozz']Before getting angry and leaving bad feedback over this ordeal why not contact the seller first? They may have purchased it this way not knowing it was re-sealed.[/quote]

I have contacted the seller. He said that he personally examined the game before shipping it out and he saw that it was sealed.

Based on the other things he is selling he may not be on the up and up about video games. (Although this is just an assumption). I'm guessing he picked this up at a Circuit City liquidation sale and honestly does not know the difference between sealed and re-sealed. I can understand that. That's why I contacted him letting him know. However, he was really snippy with me today telling me that I must be suffering buyer's remorse.

To answer another question, no, he's not an international seller.

how does one determine if it was resealed? I bougth a few new games from game crazy and eb games back in the day and they had a weird "factory seal" on them. I figured that was just how they package the product.

maybe you can post a picture of the differences?

[quote name='Don illmatix']As long as i can play it, i wouldnt be too mad[/QUOTE]

There's a few issues with ths.

(1) The price of the game on a place like ebay will change if it is used or new, regardless of how well kept the used copy is.

(2) The buyer indicated the Nintendo Points cards were missing for Club Nintendo.

bread's done
Back