Resident Evil 4 (PS2) broke my memory cards

PenguinMaster

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
After playing Resident Evil 4 both my Intec 16mb Expansion & MadCatz 16mb Expansion have ceased to work. One broke and I didn't assume it was RE4's fault so I started a save on my other card. Apparantly this is a problem with all non 8mb cards. There is a topic on Gamefaqs (I'm sorry, that's the only place I could find) if you want more info.

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=925156&topic=24250295

EDIT: Needless to say, I'll stick with my GC version.

You're upset because a game didn't work with unlicensed products that were backwards engineered to begin with?

This isn't a problem with RE4, it just means you shouldn't use crap 3rd party memory cards. You tempted fate and finally got bit. Sorry to say it, but stick with the official memory cards only and you won't run into things like this.

MagicGate technology is a liscensed technology used by great manufacturers such as Sandisc and Sony. The PS2 memory card is also liscensed design.

Intec and Madcatz do not have a liscense for MagicGate or the memory fard format that the PS2 uses. They used a process called reverse engineering to get a basic concept of how the official cards works and and make immitations that don't work very well.

wambulance6ky.gif

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']RE4 did you a favor[/QUOTE]

Yeah pretty much. My first memory card for the PS1 was a "mega" memory card, and 50 hours of FF7 were gone in a flash. They're too unreliable to justify the extra space, but until something like this happens one never knows.

I have used the same 8MB Madcatz Memory Card since the PS2 launch which was in 2000 and it has never given me a single problem.

I thought the Madcatz one was licensed by Sony? And had a PSX logo on it. Or maybe it was another company but there is one third party memory card for ps2 that is licensed by Sony. Anyone recall which card that was?

[quote name='valor19']I thought the Madcatz one was licensed by Sony? And had a PSX logo on it. Or maybe it was another company but there is one third party memory card for ps2 that is licensed by Sony. Anyone recall which card that was?[/QUOTE]
The yellow Nyko cards.

[quote name='CappyCobra']LMAO! I was just thinking that and lo and behold! :D[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that animated gif rocks! I try and only use it 2-3 times a week, but could easily use it 20-30 times.

Those 16MB memory cards suck, and I learned that about a couple of years ago. I seemed to have misplaced the card now and I'm kinda glad it's gone.

What's with the surge of corrupted files with new games?

So far I've only had 1 corrupted file with DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi and that's with using an official 8mb memory card.

With all the years of usage my memory cards have, the only ones that ever gave me problems were the cheap third party cards. I've got several for the N64 and one for the DC, and I've seen plenty of data lost on all of them (including my first PSO file that had about 100 hours or so on it). I've yet to have a problem with any first party cards.

Just do yourself the favor, take everyone's advice, and get an official memory card, that will end all of those problems.

[quote name='humidore']Yeah pretty much. My first memory card for the PS1 was a "mega" memory card, and 50 hours of FF7 were gone in a flash. They're too unreliable to justify the extra space, but until something like this happens one never knows.[/QUOTE]

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!

I was so angry that I lost so many hours of gameplay that I just gave up on the game. :cry:

Most third party memory cards eff up when presented with a different format of compressed file...I'm sure with some newer games, the files are getting bigger and developers are trying to compress them more to save space. Nintendo released a statement with wind waker saying that 3rd party memory cards won't work and will risk being corrupted.

Here is the best solution:

Get 1 Sony brand official memory card
1 Sharkport that allows you to hook your PS2 to your PC and you can transfer saves over. It may take a little work but you can really have unlimited saves and you won't have to worry about your ps2 card crapping out. I would suggest periodically transferring over your entire memory card with your most important saves at least once a week (if you are playing multiple games). Cheap (relatively) and effective way of extra storage and piece of mind.

Funny.... I've got a 8 megabyte card and it's not even 25% full yet. (Even my teeny-tiny PS1 card is adequate. It filled up last night, so I went through & deleted all the trash. Now it's got 10 empty slots.) Why on earth do you not *clean up* your card & delete the old trash?

No sense saving data for games you sold on ebay -or- never play.

troy

I have about 100 games for my PS2. Obviously my 8mb Sony memory card filled up long ago. My solution was to buy the hard drive and archive all my save files to it. I put my PS1 and PS2 games saves on it and keep my card filled with games I am currently working on.

[quote name='Tojo']Here is the best solution:

Get 1 Sony brand official memory card
1 Sharkport that allows you to hook your PS2 to your PC and you can transfer saves over. It may take a little work but you can really have unlimited saves and you won't have to worry about your ps2 card crapping out. I would suggest periodically transferring over your entire memory card with your most important saves at least once a week (if you are playing multiple games). Cheap (relatively) and effective way of extra storage and piece of mind.[/QUOTE]

Yup, that is what I did, I have 2 Sony brand memory cards and I just back up my save regularly whenever I finish a game. It's also great for downloading roster updates for the various sports games.

[quote name='electrictroy']Funny.... I've got a 8 megabyte card and it's not even 25% full yet. (Even my teeny-tiny PS1 card is adequate. It filled up last night, so I went through & deleted all the trash. Now it's got 10 empty slots.) Why on earth do you not *clean up* your card & delete the old trash?

No sense saving data for games you sold on ebay -or- never play.

troy[/QUOTE]
That is the smartest thing I have heard on CAG in a week.

[quote name='Purkeynator']I have about 100 games for my PS2. Obviously my 8mb Sony memory card filled up long ago. My solution was to buy the hard drive and archive all my save files to it. I put my PS1 and PS2 games saves on it and keep my card filled with games I am currently working on.[/QUOTE]

While I bought the harddrive for FFXI, the only reason I keep it now is for my save files.

Does anyone if Datel's 64mb Max Memory card has this problem? I want to set up RE4 with my HDLoader (which I run from my memory card), but I'd just as soon not FUBAR my card.

Listen carefully - *ANY* card that is greater than 8 megabytes will not work. The PS2 was not designed for compression tricks.

Jeez.

Why do you insist upon taking a risk? The ~1000 hours of gametime you lose is FAR more valuable than the $25 you saved buying a cheap knockoff. Time is more valuable than money.

Just keep your original PS2 card clean (delete old trash).

And buy a second PS2 card if you need one. It won't fail.

bread's done
Back