Resident Evil 4 Wii - $19.99 on Black Friday! 750,000 copies sold around the globe!

Preordered from Frys and got it this morning. Now this is the first time I've played this game and it is fucking awesome!

First of all this game is not easy - easier controls be damned. Those villagers are the fucking best. Then there are those mofos with the molotovs. Killed me in two seconds.

Secondly, the game controls very well. The turn rate is a little slow for me and moving around is pretty stiff, but It's way better than previous RE games. I don't know how anyone can go back to dual analog after this.

I can't wait to see the sales numbers.

So to get the best picture, it's best to leave it in 4:3 mode right?
Because widescreen is actually just 'cropped' widescreen.
(like PS2)

[quote name='dallow']So to get the best picture, it's best to leave it in 4:3 mode right?
(like PS2)[/QUOTE]

The bars on the side are barely an inch long, I didn't notice them after I purposefully looked at them.

[quote name='prisonerac']It has been suspended to rework the game from an AO rating to a M rating. I wouldn't worry we will most likely see the game later this year, maybe around November being my guess.

As for RE4, has anyone else changed their tactics while playing through a second time. I don't like the aiming with the analog stick, so I didn't buy a rifle and man that makes the game harder and more intense when all you have is a pistol and a shotgun. Basically forcing you to get in the Ganados faces, but I am loving it. Especially the quick knife attack. I have seen some people complain about it in other forums. I just find it so natural to swipe the wiimote when I get a Ganado on the ground. Saves ammo to boot.[/QUOTE]

I ended up replaying my backup save after half an hour of realizing i will never use the rifle, and as you did, stuck with pistol/shotty.

[quote name='BackInBlack']I ended up replaying my backup save after half an hour of realizing i will never use the rifle, and as you did, stuck with pistol/shotty.[/quote]I haven't bought the rifle yet, but it seems like there were some points in the game that would've been darn-near impossible without the rifle, wasn't there?
Like when Ashley is being attacked underneath you and you need to pick off those creepy priest guys.

Well, I picked it up from EB on Wednesday, and the girl who works there seemed really annoyed that I got like the second to the last unreserved copy. She sort of said in her huffy way that people really need to reserve games if they really want a copy.

I almost asked her if she would feel better if I just bought it somewhere else.

[quote name='dallow']So to get the best picture, it's best to leave it in 4:3 mode right?
(like PS2)[/QUOTE]

Not really because then it runs letterboxed and that just sucks. It's not too bad... it's widescreen it just sucks that it's not real widescreen.

I've been playing this since I got it when I can i'm getting better at it with conserving ammo and aiming better also I went back to the farm area because I forgot the sub quest items there and I just found out you can equip eggs and throw them I thought it was funny. :applause:

So glad I waited and didn't buy the GCN or the ps2 game.

This game is awesome, and the Wii controls are fantastic. I put in about 8 hours in one sitting, and I already passed where I previously was (I quit playing when I got to the first merchant dude.)

Right now I just rescued Ashley and bought the Red9, how much longer until I get weapons that replace the standard Shotgun and Rifle? I've been avoiding upgrading those as I don't want to waste cash on guns I'll be selling anyway.

[quote name='daroga']I haven't bought the rifle yet, but it seems like there were some points in the game that would've been darn-near impossible without the rifle, wasn't there?
Like when Ashley is being attacked underneath you and you need to pick off those creepy priest guys.
[/quote]

Not really...

I havent played teh Wii version yet, but on the Gamecube version, I never used the rifle in the entire game (ok thats a lie....I used it a couple times fighting the regenerators...to see where those damn parasite things were...)

Ive played it on hard this way as well but I didnt notice if it was harder or not.....
All I know is I beat the game with barely touching the rifle. Never liked sniping weapons where you had to zoom. I know I used my pistol to shoot off those gaurds carrying Ashley. Had to be very accurate becuase they kept fucking moving.

[quote name='meerkatgamer']I've been playing this since I got it when I can i'm getting better at it with conserving ammo and aiming better also I went back to the farm area because I forgot the sub quest items there and I just found out you can equip eggs and throw them I thought it was funny. :applause:

So glad I waited and didn't buy the GCN or the ps2 game.[/QUOTE]

i just discovered the egg thing too

[quote name='yukine']This game is awesome, and the Wii controls are fantastic. I put in about 8 hours in one sitting, and I already passed where I previously was (I quit playing when I got to the first merchant dude.)

Right now I just rescued Ashley and bought the Red9, how much longer until I get weapons that replace the standard Shotgun and Rifle? I've been avoiding upgrading those as I don't want to waste cash on guns I'll be selling anyway.
[/QUOTE]

The Riot Gun and semi-auto rifle go on sale at the beginning of chapter 3.

Wait till you guys beat the game and then the extras....whoo boy......the gund that will be available to you then....

Thats why I kept on replaying the GC version so many times. It gets better and better with every playthrough.

Just thought I'd chime in and agree with the reviews: this is the best version of the game.

I'm gonna push myself to not be such a collecting, hoarding bitch and try to sell my GC and PS2 copies.

Is it me or is El Gigante much easier? I only got on his back twice.

Some tips if you're having ammo trouble.
Get them on the ground and use your knife! Also, don't upgrade your guns capacity unless its really low, since you get a full ammo refill when you upgrade.

[quote name='javeryh']So for those of you who played it already is the Wii version worth picking up?[/quote]Yes. Even if you hate the Wii controls (which I'm loving), it has the added PS2 content, but the graphical polish of the GC version. It's really the full game, and you didn't even need to pay the download anything! ;)

:rofl: @ me, all this talk about beating the game, this guy seems easier, this seems harder, etc and stupid me can't even pass the first section when you walk into the village and they gang rape you! :rofl: ... :whistle2:(

[quote name='lilboo']:rofl: @ me, all this talk about beating the game, this guy seems easier, this seems harder, etc and stupid me can't even pass the first section when you walk into the village and they gang rape you! :rofl: ... :whistle2:([/quote]that part is hard. Make sure you run around and get into the building with the shotgun (last regular building, with an upstairs, on the left when you come into town.

[quote name='daroga']that part is hard. Make sure you run around and get into the building with the shotgun (last regular building, with an upstairs, on the left when you come into town.[/QUOTE]

Oh nice. Glad someone called it hard, and it's not me showing off that retarded gene of mine ;)

So advice: RUN, SHOOT, GET TO BUILDING WITH SHOT GUN = KILL KILL KILL?
:)

[quote name='lilboo']Oh nice. Glad someone called it hard, and it's not me showing off that retarded gene of mine ;)

So advice: RUN, SHOOT, GET TO BUILDING WITH SHOT GUN = KILL KILL KILL?
:)[/quote]Yeah, more or less, and it's a timed thing. You only have to survive for so long until it all ends.

Seriously, I think that's the hardest part in the whole game. Like fihtning a boss in Zelda with 3 or 4 hearts, you have little life, craptacular guns, and little ammo with a metric ton of enemies. Yeah, that's a good combo right there.

[quote name='daroga']Yeah, more or less, and it's a timed thing. You only have to survive for so long until it all ends.

Seriously, I think that's the hardest part in the whole game. Like fihtning a boss in Zelda with 3 or 4 hearts, you have little life, craptacular guns, and little ammo with a metric ton of enemies. Yeah, that's a good combo right there.[/QUOTE]

Ooh it's timed?! Well that's kinda neat. Now only if there was a shovel, and the ability to dig a large hole and bury yourself for a bit.. :whistle2:(

lol I gotta admit, I'm a pussy when it comes to survival horror games. YES, I'm 22. YES I get scared..lol :oops:

But thanks for tip! I'll try that out soon!

[quote name='lilboo']Ooh it's timed?! Well that's kinda neat. Now only if there was a shovel, and the ability to dig a large hole and bury yourself for a bit.. :whistle2:(

lol I gotta admit, I'm a pussy when it comes to survival horror games. YES, I'm 22. YES I get scared..lol :oops:

But thanks for tip! I'll try that out soon![/quote]Me too. I say things like "I don't enjoy the horror genre" which is really me saying, "I hate eing scared because I'm like a little girl." Really, RE4 doesn't have too much horror in it--it's far more of an action game. There was one really creepy part with some shorter enemies in a garden, but I'll let you get there on your own. ;)

[quote name='daroga']Me too. I say things like "I don't enjoy the horror genre" which is really me saying, "I hate eing scared because I'm like a little girl." Really, RE4 doesn't have too much horror in it--it's far more of an action game. There was one really creepy part with some shorter enemies in a garden, but I'll let you get there on your own. ;)[/QUOTE]

LOL @ us!

Have you played Eternal Darkness? That game put me cardiac arrest a few times.. especially that bath tub scene.. :whistle2:(.. But thinking back, that would probably make a good Wii-make game too :)

[quote name='lilboo']LOL @ us!

Have you played Eternal Darkness? That game put me cardiac arrest a few times.. especially that bath tub scene.. :whistle2:(.. But thinking back, that would probably make a good Wii-make game too :)[/quote]The control in that game really put me off. I stopped playing very early obn. Probably should've pressed on, but I had better games to be playing (like RE4! ;) )

[quote name='lilboo']:rofl: @ me, all this talk about beating the game, this guy seems easier, this seems harder, etc and stupid me can't even pass the first section when you walk into the village and they gang rape you! :rofl: ... :whistle2:([/quote]Don't worry, that's where I died the one and only time I played the Cube version. I was like "What. The. fuck." and went back to my other games. :lol: Looking forward to actually getting past that part if my Buy.com order ever arrives.

I got my Fry's copy yesterday. Enjoying it so far.
And yes, I must suck, I died three times going into that village.
And somehow, while I got some shotgun shells, I missed getting the shotgun.

[quote name='lilboo']:rofl: @ me, all this talk about beating the game, this guy seems easier, this seems harder, etc and stupid me can't even pass the first section when you walk into the village and they gang rape you! :rofl: ... :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

You're not alone, trust me. When I first got the game, that's the part that almost made me give up on the game. It took me 15 tries to get that part down.

The best thing to do in that area is to hurry and go get the shotgun and shotgun bullet (in the same room as the shotgun) and then go to the narrow pathway that leads to goes south (the door's locked).

Start near the beginning of the path and slowly go back as you need more time. If they throw something at you usually you can avoid it by just turning a little and taking a few steps.

Now, as the enemies walk into the path, just pick them off one by one. Once there's a few dozen (or the chainsaw guy comes around, blast them with the shotgun.

I just beat the El Gigante. I forgot how intense that guy was...

Yeah, just keep at it. The village takes a few tries, but I was able to get past it a lot easier in the Wii version.

This is what I did, I don't claim it to be the best way but it worked for me:
Run into the building that has the shotgun, push the ladder down that's in the window, and go out the other window with the two villagers banging on the glass (I blasted them with a shotgun first and then jumped out). Take a right on the rooftop, and keep going around and then once you can't go any further turn around and stay put. I would just wait for them to gather, then blast with the shotgun to the head, alternating between the handgun and shotgun. Just remember to save some shotgun ammo for the chainsaw maniac.

for the village, after i got the shotgun and ammo, there is a building on the right side the last one before the church, that has two small rooms, i go into it after I killed some, barricade the first door, then go into the smaller room that has a metal door. I just chill in the small room and wait it out, kill anything that comes through the metal door.

You know, when I first played the game, I never got the shotgun that early on. The time ran out, the scene ended, and that was that.

So, I never saw a chainsaw guy until way later in the game when they're almsot instant death. So, needless to say, this time, I kinda freaked out a bit when he showed up that early in the game. Luckily, he's far weaker than his big brothers later in the game. ;)

Few questions:

Why is it that sometimes people don't get hit when I shoot them in the head or legs? Is it the animations or something?

Is there a way to dodge attacks or something when people get too close?

How do you suplex people?

[quote name='Scrubking']Few questions:

Why is it that sometimes people don't get hit when I shoot them in the head or legs? Is it the animations or something?

Is there a way to dodge attacks or something when people get too close?

How do you suplex people?[/QUOTE]

1 not sure, i kinda noticed this sometimes when i shoot at people from far away with the handgun, though i could just be missing

2 you can just move, the only quick action he can do is turn around quick, if someone gets to close i will quickly switch to the shotgun and fire as soon as i un pause it, usually does the trick

3 i am pretty sure you can only do the suplex later in the game to specific characracters
the guys in the robes
the easiest way i would do it was shoot out there legs when they were on steps, walk up to them while they were kneeling and the A button action came up saying suplex.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']1 not sure, i kinda noticed this sometimes when i shoot at people from far away with the handgun, though i could just be missing

2 you can just move, the only quick action he can do is turn around quick, if someone gets to close i will quickly switch to the shotgun and fire as soon as i un pause it, usually does the trick

3 i am pretty sure you can only do the suplex later in the game to specific characracters
the guys in the robes
the easiest way i would do it was shoot out there legs when they were on steps, walk up to them while they were kneeling and the A button action came up saying suplex.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

Note about the village: if you never go into the building with the shotgun before the villagers all drop their weapons and go into the church, the chainsaw ganados will never materialize ... and after the villagers leave, you can just go into the building and get the shotgun.

Just picked up this game. Wow, I am surprised at how much I still wantto play this game, seeing as how I've beaten it numerous times before. BTW, RE4(GC) trades in for $6 at EB.

There is additional shotgun ammo up in the bell tower in the village. It will get you another 5 shots. Also, try and kill the chainsaw guy as you get $10000

[quote name='snipegod']Note about the village: if you never go into the building with the shotgun before the villagers all drop their weapons and go into the church, the chainsaw ganados will never materialize ... and after the villagers leave, you can just go into the building and get the shotgun.[/QUOTE]

I thought he only spawns when you go into the building with the shotgun. Like I said in my previous post, all I did was stay near zoneline and kill them off using grenade, pistol, and kicking them. If you think this village is hard, wait until you unlock Mercenaries :).

I'm loving the Wii mote. My hit ratio is in the 90%, way more compared to when I played it on GC.

Make sure you do the bottlecaps minigame, you get like 50k when you complete it and its easier the first time then on the 2nd game(after you beat the game).

One question: Punisher that you receive from 15 blue medallions, or the un-upgraded pistol that you start off with? Which to keep?

[quote name='pop311']One question: Punisher that you receive from 15 blue medallions, or the un-upgraded pistol that you start off with? Which to keep?[/QUOTE]

I actually like the Punisher... that's the one handgun I used during my first time through on both the GC/PS2. It's probably the weakest handgun I think but the fact that it can go through an enemy really helps at times. I sold my beginning handgun as soon as I got the Punisher this time around. I plan to use this gun again... the Red 9 is more powerful but it takes up 2 more slots, needs that stock for stability, and is very slow to reload.

I really need that large case already. My packed with ammo... I quit playing just before getting to the house where you have to fight off the assult of villagers with Luis. Easily my most favorite part of the game.

[quote name='Vinny']...before getting to the house where you have to fight off the assult of villagers with Luis. Easily my most favorite part of the game.[/QUOTE]

Yes.

How do you get the Green Gem in Del Lago? The passage way to the Green Gem is blocked by a wooden-pole gate. Any suggestions?

Despite just playing this earlier this ytear, the Wii version has totally sucked me in again. This game is so much fun, and I'm much more into it with the remote aiming and the shaking violently to get guys off of me. It's fantastic.

Despite that, I'm not far into the game at all. Just about to the first giant guy.

[quote name='pop311']One question: Punisher that you receive from 15 blue medallions, or the un-upgraded pistol that you start off with? Which to keep?[/quote]
I like the Punisher more than the starter handgun, I believe if you upgrade the firepower on the Punisher once it equals that of the starter handgun. But I only did that and then sold it later for the Red9, I don't mind it taking up a little more space as I already upgraded the case and have plenty of room for my rifle, shotgun, TMP, a bunch of herbs and additional ammo.

bread's done
Back