Resident Evil 6 Demo Review

TTGSteve

CAGiversary!
Original here: http://thetrendguys.com/2012/09/19/resident-evil-6-demo-review/

Resident Evil 6 Demo – Introduction

I’m so hyped for Resident Evil 6 that it’s not even funny. I’ve been a big Resident Evil fan since I played the very first one on Playstation. Yes, the long box version. Either way, it’s safe to say that I can’t wait until the Resident Evil release date; October 2nd.

Resident Evil 6 Demo – What’s Included?

The Resident Evil 6 demo allows you to play 3 different scenarios. You have 3 main characters and a partner. You can either play as Leon Kennedy, Jake or Chris Redfield. Also, you can play as one of their partners. I was able to play all of them in probably 30-45 minutes including the cutscenes. I’m not exactly sure, as I wasn’t keeping track of time and was just way too excited to be playing the new Resident Evil demo.

Resident Evil 6 Demo – My Thoughts

Honestly, I love the new Resident Evil 6 and can’t wait for the final game to be released on October 2nd. You better bet that I will be playing the game that day. Hell, I’ll probably even snag the collector’s edition. However, I do have a complaint:

The Gameplay in Resident Evil 6 Could be Better.

I’m hoping that the controls are fixed in the final game. I had some major problems posting up against a wall. Honestly, it seemed more like a random occurrence rather than something that I would do on purpose. Whenever i would try to post up on a wall, I would end up getting owned. Whenever I didn’t want to post up on a wall, I would get owned. That annoyed the hell out of me.

Also, in Resident Evil 6, you do have the ability to go under and over tables. You can jump over them, slide over them, etc… You can also pull a Dukes of Hazzard and slide over the hood of cars. Honestly, this feature got on my nerves a little bit. Sometimes, I’d be in an intense battle and accidentally slide over the hood of a car or a table and find myself in the line of fire. No, you don’t push a button to do the sliding animation, you just simply run up to the object and it happens automatically. So, it’s not like I was being retarded and tapping the hell out of buttons while I was running towards a car or table.

I also found the camera to be annoying at time. It’s so close to the back of your character’s head and positioned way too low. Therefore, you will have times where your own character gets in your line of sight. Sometimes, I couldn’t even see the enemies directly in front of me as they were shooting me. Yeah, that was pretty annoying.

Also, due to the camera, you’ll have a tough time finding things in the game. For instance, you’ll come across boxes that you can smash open. Usually, these boxes carry health, ammo, etc… In other words, they’re some items that can be considered vital and you need them. However, due to the camera, you’ll have a really hard time spotting them and probably just end up running by them. It’s hard to tell how many boxes and items that I just ran by and have no clue about.

The camera is so bad that I would run by zombies trying to kill me and have no idea that they were even there. I would have had no clue unless I heard them moan or heard my partner shooting or saying something. If you were one of those Resident Evil players that really liked to explore areas and find hidden objects, you’re going to be let down by the camera and gameplay style. Play the demo and you’ll see what I mean.

Resident Evil 6 – What’s the Verdict?

As I said above, I absolutely love the game and I think it will be awesome to play the final version. Sure, I had some complaints, but they don’t compare to the awesomeness that is Resident Evil 6. Just play the demo or pick up the game when it’s released and you will see what I’m talking about.

I agree with his opinion about the camera. I played Leon's part as Helena and it was very annoying. It's too close to the character and it does make spotting things a lot harder. Also, I found the game to be really dark. Like, I put the brightness all the way up and it was still as black as night. I also found the controls a bit awkward and when combined with the camera it made moving my character that much more frustrating. I have this game pre-ordered on Amazon, but I'm going to play the Chris and Jake parts before I decide to cancel it or not. Not really impressed with it so far and I had really high hopes. I don't know, to me, this game seems a lot less polished than RE5. In terms of camera and controls, RE5 was very smooth for me. Also, RE6 looks a bit cheap. Have you seen when Leon gives his thumbs up? Damn. That shit looks like Pinocchio's jack arm. For a second I thought this game was being outsourced. Anyway, I'm mostly on the fence with this game. It looks like it's trying to be a lot of things to appease a lot of fans. I hope they fix a lot of the things that were wrong with it before Oct. 2nd.

Glad you agree with me. I heard there's going to be a collector's edition with past games included. Anyone else heard anything about that?

[quote name='TTGSteve']Glad you agree with me. I heard there's going to be a collector's edition with past games included. Anyone else heard anything about that?[/QUOTE]

Yeah but that is not really an RE6 CE. The only physical game is RE6 in Anthology/Archives and te rest are all digital downloads.

Also I thought the cover/dodge system needed a little work, because I hated diving to the ground when trying to shoot.

[quote name='clonesniper666']Yeah but that is not really an RE6 CE. The only physical game is RE6 in Anthology/Archives and te rest are all digital downloads.

Also I thought the cover/dodge system needed a little work, because I hated diving to the ground when trying to shoot.[/QUOTE]

Ahh! Well, that sucks, because I thought they would be physical games. Dang! Would have looked cool in my collection.

I definitely think that the cover/dodge system needed some work. I talked about it in the review. Trying to post up against a wall would sometimes leave out in the open trying to figure out how in the hell to get it to work.

[quote name='TTGSteve']Sometimes, I’d be in an intense battle and accidentally slide over the hood of a car or a table and find myself in the line of fire.[/QUOTE]
I don't know how you accidentally did that in the middle of a battle, why were you holding run while in a battle?

Overall I thought the demo was a big improvement over RE5, the game play mechanics were far less dated. The cover mechanics were a problem though, they never worked when I wanted them to and I frequently got into cover when I didn't want to. In the end it'll all come down to atmosphere. RE4 was great because it had an excellent atmosphere, RE5 sucked because it had a bad atmosphere. In the demo I thought the Leon campaign was good, the Jake campaign was decent, and the Chris campaign was crap.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']I don't know how you accidentally did that in the middle of a battle, why were you holding run while in a battle?

Overall I thought the demo was a big improvement over RE5, the game play mechanics were far less dated. The cover mechanics were a problem though, they never worked when I wanted them to and I frequently got into cover when I didn't want to. In the end it'll all come down to atmosphere. RE4 was great because it had an excellent atmosphere, RE5 sucked because it had a bad atmosphere. In the demo I thought the Leon campaign was good, the Jake campaign was decent, and the Chris campaign was crap.[/QUOTE]

Because I was trying to run to items to hide behind and accidentally ended up hopping over them.

I don't see why people are having trouble with that. It's why you have to be holding L1 in order to get into cover.

In any case, I thought the demo was awesome. People seem to be nitpicking it really harshly. Their loss though.

[quote name='TTGSteve']

I definitely think that the cover/dodge system needed some work. I talked about it in the review. Trying to post up against a wall would sometimes leave out in the open trying to figure out how in the hell to get it to work.[/QUOTE]

I finally tried out the other two campaigns and agree that the cover/dodge system needs some work. I had a lot of trouble with this in Chris's demo. In order of preference, I like Jake's campaign the best, Leon's is next and last is Chris. I felt like I was playing some Call of Duty clone. I think I'm cancelling my pre-order and waiting to pick this up once it hits the $20 range. No day one purchase from me.

I'll snag it first day, but I'm hoping that this stuff gets cleared up. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be. It's only 7 days until release day.

fine reviews, but in all fairness, that's the point of chris's campaign. its supposed to be over the top action while jake is a middle ground and leon gets back to old school creepy atmospheres. i like what they did since it pay homage to both RE 2 and 5 (the greatest RE and the best selling RE respectively). to each their own in the end, but remember, all this was done on purpose with fan criticism and input in mind.
---

As much as I love Resident Evil, I don't know what to think about it. I'm sure Leon's and Ada's campaign will be great, but the other two kind of scares me. It seemed like I was playing Call of Duty. @_@ Despite this, I can't wait to play it co-op.

Sometimes I think I'm the only one who thinks that the gameplay of Resident Evil is following the natural progression of what happens when people with military backgrounds find out a company is creating a zombie virus.

Sure, there's always going to be someone stuck in a closed-off area with limited supplies, but surely someone would have decided to take a more proactive wipe-them-off-the-face-of-the-planet approach.

[quote name='Rasen']Sometimes I think I'm the only one who thinks that the gameplay of Resident Evil is following the natural progression of what happens when people with military backgrounds find out a company is creating a zombie virus.

Sure, there's always going to be someone stuck in a closed-off area with limited supplies, but surely someone would have decided to take a more proactive wipe-them-off-the-face-of-the-planet approach.[/QUOTE]

But they can melee well too! Certainly someone with military background could, at best swing a knife with the skill of a teenage girl in a horror movie!

[quote name='whoknows']But they can melee well too! Certainly someone with military background could, at best swing a knife with the skill of a teenage girl in a horror movie![/QUOTE]

Oh they most certainly can. I cleared Code Veronica using the knife 80% of the time. Let's hear it for the Redfields!

Didn't like it. The controls are what got me - controlling the character felt way too loose, it felt as if the character you were controlling had no weight to them at all. And with that, along with everything else that changed, I felt the series has now completely lost it's identity.

[quote name='Rasen']Oh they most certainly can. I cleared Code Veronica using the knife 80% of the time. Let's hear it for the Redfields![/QUOTE]

That's way too awesome.

bread's done
Back