Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City

kinney_bmx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Didn't see a thread on the subject. I think it sounds really cool if Slant Six can pull it off. Supposed to be released this winter on PS3, 360 & PC. Though some websites list it on all 3 but only mention the release this winter on PS3/360

I like the idea of a three way conflict between Umbrella Security Forces, US Special Forces and zombies, and the fact you can "bait" the special forces.

• The game takes place in 1998, a time where Resident Evil fans already know what's set to take place. The title lets you enjoy the series from a new perspective, as the men and women who are technically responsible for it all.
  • Rather than continuing the zombie slaying antics of BSAA agents, you're taken back to the original outbreak "that underscored both Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis."
  • The game doesn't require any crazy amounts of knowledge of the past titles or characters involved in the series. The title opens up to a "quartet of new faces". Essentially, you're playing as members of the official Umbrella Security Services squad.
  • Operation Raccoon City is a team-based shooter allowing four members of the USS team to destroy all evidence of the ongoing outbreak. Along with slaying the zombies, you're looking to "kill pretty much every survivor possible".
  • The gameplay is described as "dirty", and the series will feel much darker than it has up to this point.
  • The game features three factions that Capcom has stated make up a "three-corner conflict". The other two factions are the US Spec Ops, who are there to repel the USS, and the "bio-organic weapon monsters (BOWs) created by Umbrella.
  • The USS team is made up of the following characters: Vector, Beltway, Bertha, and Spectre. Depending on which character you choose, the responsibilities that you're asked to do within your team will variate.
  • Hunk, first seen in Resident Evil 2 as a hidden character, is the inspiration behind the USS team.
  • "Whichever team you play on, you'll be facing Umbrella-created horrors in between skirmishes with each other".
  • Zombies in the game can sense you in three different manners: sight, sound, and smell.
  • A situation is described in the game where Vector cloaks himself to stir up previously slumbering zombies to use against the Special Ops military foes.
  • Quite a few scenarios in the game aren't "all about headshots". A quote in the article states, "It's about shooting the other soldiers - manipulating the, making them bleed."
  • The game will take you through a number of familiar areas if you're a Resident Evil junkie who remembers your journey to Raccoon City.
  • Operation Raccoon City, depending on how you play the game, will give you the option to "change the history of Resident Evil". Not only will you have the chance to meet and interact with various characters from the series, but you'll even have the opportunity to kill them.
  • One of th mottos repeated to OXM throughout the demo was "Kill Leon". It's also stated that if you choose to represent in the game as the Special Ops team, that you'd more than likely have the goal of trying to save Leon Kennedy.
  • Slant Six or Capcom won't reveal if any other characters will be playable in the title just yet, but it'd make sense to see quite a few big cameos.
  • The title will still see players relying on collecting herbs to heal from any attacks you may suffer. You won't need to hoard any herbs, but they'll still benefit you to collect them throughout the game.
  • "This is not a one-versus-one game where you've got one clip full of ammo and zombies on you. If you've ever thought of those times in an RE game when you thought, 'I'd wish I had a big gun', that's what this game is. It's not fair to give people big guns, then take all the ammo away."
  • One of the pictures in the article showcases a zombie being used as a "meatshield".
  • Operation Raccoon City allows players to earn XP for kills, with these points helping you survive the onslaught, and to help to encourage you to anihilate everything in your path.
  • The XP will allow you to earn new abilities, such as Vector's cloaking skill, and new weapons.
  • Tyrants will most definitely be included in the title.
*all details taken from - http://stickskills.com/news/1556/first-details-on-resident-evil-operation-raccoon-city-unveiled/

""This is not a one-versus-one game where you've got one clip full of ammo and zombies on you. If you've ever thought of those times in an RE game when you thought, 'I'd wish I had a big gun', that's what this game is. It's not fair to give people big guns, then take all the ammo away."

Sigh

I like the thought of hunting down Leon. Bt if they really make it so I can hunt him down then they'd better make it so he's nearly impossible to kill since he's the most badass character ever.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']""This is not a one-versus-one game where you've got one clip full of ammo and zombies on you. If you've ever thought of those times in an RE game when you thought, 'I'd wish I had a big gun', that's what this game is. It's not fair to give people big guns, then take all the ammo away."

Sigh[/QUOTE]
as much as I'd rather have a good survival horror game that actually has to do with the original games I'm okay with this.

Its being taken back to the original setting, original characters which I like even if it is basically just a zombie shooter.

It's getting to the point where, like Silent Hill, they just need to kill the series. Not quite there yet though, but getting close. I say that as a major fan.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']It's getting to the point where, like Silent Hill, they just need to kill the series. Not quite there yet though, but getting close. I say that as a major fan.[/QUOTE]
I'd hate for that to happen but I'm afraid it might need to be done after too long

Either a rehaul of the series or abandonment. Return to the original storyline, updated gameplay, and back to survival horror

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I like the thought of hunting down Leon. Bt if they really make it so I can hunt him down then they'd better make it so he's nearly impossible to kill since he's the most badass character ever.[/QUOTE]

Valve did this game a long time ago.

Half-Life: Opposing Forces

You are the mercs going to clean up the mess at Black Mesa. During that time, you also chase Gordon Freeman. He cannot be killed.

I'll wait till there is more footage.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']It's getting to the point where, like Silent Hill, they just need to kill the series. Not quite there yet though, but getting close. I say that as a major fan.[/QUOTE]

1 game after Resident Evil 4 which a lot of people consider one of the best games of all time? Are you saying that because you don't consider RE4 to be a typical Resident Evil game? I hated 5 but killing the series seems extreme after Resident Evil 4 was so good.

I'm conflicted on this
I have stopped considering them RE games since RE4
I do consider RE4 as one of the best games, very revolutionary indeed.
What surprises me is how many people consider RE5 a bad game, and say its strayed too far from the series. I think RE5 was more like the RE series than than RE4, in that it included a lot of original characters (Chris, Jill, Wesker, Spencer in RE5; compared to Leon, Ada, and a little bit of Wesker in RE4). RE5 also explained the background of Spencer, Wesker, and the Umbrella company. Yes its still more of an action game, but I felt that it was closer to the original RE games, compared to RE4. The only thing RE5 missed was the infamous countless files (RE4 had at least kept these). Although it did have character bios, which did give A LOT of background info if you do read them o_o. Also with all of the background info and answers to questions that they gave in RE5, it felt like a possible conclusion to the series. But it ended pretty blandly. Finally beating the game and just watching the typical helicopter going off into the sunset....I kind of felt cheated.

Damn I got off topic o_O
Okay well it does help me express my opinion I guess. The RE series needs zombies. It needs Tyrants. It needs hunters!! Sadly it looks like it may just need Racoon City. Revisiting Racoon City sounds like instant beautiful nostalgia. However this team-based shooter idea....I don't care much for it. It reminds me too much of L4D and....idk it just doesn't feel right for the RE series. It seems more like a downloadable online game, than a full-disc game. I'm not sure how to feel about this game. The only way this game will undoubtedly interest me is if it involves Nikolai, and (please god) if it involve the G-Virus :D

Well there's a lot of reason's why people hate RE5.First off the controls are worse than RE4.Now 4 was the first game of it's type so the controls have aged but in they didn't even try to improve the controls for 5.Second the story was even more cliche than it usually is.And last game wasn't really improved at all.The Coop felt tacked on and unnecessary.Also Capcom got lazy with the game by using animations from RE4 in it.In all it's a shitty version of 4.

[quote name='kinney_bmx']as much as I'd rather have a good survival horror game that actually has to do with the original games I'm okay with this.

Its being taken back to the original setting, original characters which I like even if it is basically just a zombie shooter.[/QUOTE]

at least its got real zombies. i liked re4 and all but with each new re ( from 4 to 5) you never saw any real zombies.

[quote name='lokizz']at least its got real zombies. i liked re4 and all but with each new re ( from 4 to 5) you never saw any real zombies.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, thats the main thing.

RE4 was amazing but I still favor the other games, I think part of the reason why is because 4&5 didn't have actually zombies

[quote name='schuerm26']1 game after Resident Evil 4 which a lot of people consider one of the best games of all time? Are you saying that because you don't consider RE4 to be a typical Resident Evil game? I hated 5 but killing the series seems extreme after Resident Evil 4 was so good.[/QUOTE]

Yes, 4 is one of the best games of all time. But 5 made me realize that Capcom just didn't get why 4 was so good. 5 had no soul. It was a piece of shit and a chore to play. After that horrible mainline entry I am very cautious about any future games in the series.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Yes, 4 is one of the best games of all time. But 5 made me realize that Capcom just didn't get why 4 was so good. 5 had no soul. It was a piece of shit and a chore to play. After that horrible mainline entry I am very cautious about any future games in the series.[/QUOTE]

I consider 5 to be one of the most dissapointing games of all time. Coming off of 4 I had never been so excited for a game. Then I played 5. Absolutely hated it.

[quote name='schuerm26']I consider 5 to be one of the most dissapointing games of all time. Coming off of 4 I had never been so excited for a game. Then I played 5. Absolutely hated it.[/QUOTE]

Well, I was excited for it but I held off after hearing the negative impressions and p/reviews. I ended up getting it off Gamefly used for like $25 a few months later and sure enough, it was shit.

[quote name='schuerm26']I consider 5 to be one of the most dissapointing games of all time. Coming off of 4 I had never been so excited for a game. Then I played 5. Absolutely hated it.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure that's how ever fan of 4 felt.I agree that it is one of the most disappointing games.I throw it along side the 360 Ninja Gaiden 2 as one of the most disappointing sequels ever.

[quote name='themaster20000']Well there's a lot of reason's why people hate RE5.First off the controls are worse than RE4.Now 4 was the first game of it's type so the controls have aged but in they didn't even try to improve the controls for 5.[/QUOTE]

So the controls are worse than RE4 because they're the same as RE4.

I knew there was something wrong.

[quote name='Chacrana']So the controls are worse than RE4 because they're the same as RE4.

I knew there was something wrong.[/QUOTE]

Well they also made aiming much slower than in 4.That and the whole inventory system was a mess to manage with.The game is a sequel so you would think that the controls would be improved.Capcom has been going downhill for the last few years so I kind expect this type of quality from them.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='solid penguin']What surprises me is how many people consider RE5 a bad game[/QUOTE]

Wait you mean some people don't enjoy co-op games with shitty partner AI? I'm shocked.

[quote name='Chacrana']So the controls are worse than RE4 because they're the same as RE4.

I knew there was something wrong.[/QUOTE]

The fuck? The inventory system was terrible.

re5 was horrible in alot of ways. the story, the controls, the inventory system, having to babysit/heal/protect your ai partner ( especially during the later bits) even adding co-op couldnt save the game and the mp was a joke especially when they decided to charge for it. its one of those games that takes a franchise you use to love or enjoy and makes you not give a shit about it anymore.

im curious to see how this new game and the other re games will turn out but ill need to see a review or rent it before i buy it. oh yeah i hated trying to get those damn golden eggs too. the re series desperately needs to go back to what made ti so great and improve on it.

how sad is it that re4 was last gen but it looked and played better than re5 a next gen console game?

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Wait you mean some people don't enjoy co-op games with shitty partner AI? I'm shocked.[/QUOTE]

That's true, but I played the game a lot in co-op mode. Sadly there were people online who made playing single player seem like a dream >_>
Ehh the AI sucked, but as long as you didn't give her a handgun, she could hold her own -_-

I loved RE4, but I am very tired of hearing about it. Especially now that the Resident Evil Revival Selection has been announced. I understand Capcom made a FANTASTIC game in RE4, but they really need to stop milking it. This will be the 5th port (if you count the itouch version) of RE4. Capcom needs to make a new RE game, not Slant 6, CAPCOM
...hell.....the Resident Evil series needs Shinji Mikami T_T

Capcom will stop milking RE4 when people stop buying it.Capcom also does this with Street Fighter and Mega Man since they know most fans are sheep that will buy anything with those names on it.That's why they been doing this bullshit of charging for DLC already on there games for the last few years.

I loved RE4 and RE5. Wasn't a big fan of the original games because of the save system. Co-op made RE5 really fun.

Looking forward to this new game. Will have to see some gameplay before buying though.

bread's done
Back