Resonance of Fate - Best Buy - $39.99

Deal's already posted in the Best Buy thread on the first page.

Great game, good deal.

Got it from Kmart when they had it on sale.

Ya this RPG has to have some of the funniest moments i've seen in a long while. I imagine I'll be putting a solid 60 hours at least here. Well worth 40 bucks.

My Best Buy had this game at $19.99 for awhile and it went into the clearance bin at 30% off the past week. Too bad Im not into RPGs at all.

[quote name='Lamplitersniper']My Best Buy had this game at $19.99 for awhile and it went into the clearance bin at 30% off the past week. Too bad Im not into RPGs at all.[/QUOTE]

Can you pick it up for me? I'd be happy to pay you the cost + shipping.

[quote name='Lamplitersniper']My Best Buy had this game at $19.99 for awhile and it went into the clearance bin at 30% off the past week. Too bad Im not into RPGs at all.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure you aren't confusing this with one of the Square Enix 360 JRPGs that have been $20 for a while now? Resonance of Fate has always been $60 at Best Buy with this being the first sale on the title they have had. I know our local store had it in the bargain 30% off bin as well, but it was 30% off of $60 and today it was 30% off of $40 at which point I grabbed it.

[quote name='blahtastic']Can you pick it up for me? I'd be happy to pay you the cost + shipping.[/QUOTE]

fuck that dude I'll just pay you 30 bucks. That's my price point for this game.

Just asking for opinions on this game - IGN said the battles get old eventually, and that you have to grind a lot in order to be able to win the hard battles, and that many battles are hard to the point that you will lose if you make even one mistake, or if you simply aren't at a high level.
Any opinions? I'm not interested in repetitive grinding.

[quote name='driver01z']Just asking for opinions on this game - IGN said the battles get old eventually, and that you have to grind a lot in order to be able to win the hard battles, and that many battles are hard to the point that you will lose if you make even one mistake, or if you simply aren't at a high level.
Any opinions? I'm not interested in repetitive grinding.[/QUOTE]

Great game at a decent price, I picked it up for 37 back when Kmart had it on sale. I wouldn't say that battles ever got that old to me but they are repetitive. That said game is really hard if you don't know exactly what they were going for when they designed the battle mechanics. The tutorials are not that great in my opinion and it kind of throws you out there without saying much. Took me till like Chapter 4 or 5 before I realized I was doing it wrong and then I fell in love with it. In terms of grinding I didn't find it was that big of a problem to be at the appropriate level as long as you didn't skip mobs on the way to the end of a dungeon.

I quit the game after 10 hours or so. It's a interesting world and I wish I would've liked to continue, but what IGN said there is true, battles get very repetitive and boring. I would wait till it's $20 if you're on the fence about it.

[quote name='thongsy']i quit the game after 10 hours or so. It's a interesting world and i wish i would've liked to continue, but what ign said there is true, battles get very repetitive and boring. I would wait till it's $20 if you're on the fence about it.[/quote]
+1

resonance of fate is for experince rpg gamer it the opposite of FF13 it doesn't hold your hands. to the average gamer it will get repetitve but to experince gamer it will a challenge rpg that require you to think be4 you attack. the one big issue i had with this game it does require you to grind on the near the end and the story is lacking. this game is worth $40 espcially if your looking for a challenge rpg.

Like young says, i've heard it has almost no story and gameplay is very repetitive / broken. There are tons of cheap tricks to beat the retarded AI that you'll end up using more than thoughtful tactics. Graphics also look poor. Still, i havent played the game, but this is what i hear. $10, $15 dollar buy for me. I'm not your "average" gamer, im an experince RPG master, Power level over 9000!...but I have to be selective of the ones worth my time.

Resonance of fate is not for every one as i said ealier it a challenge game. check out some more reviews and rent the game to see if you like it. resonance of fate does have a story the best way i can describe it is cowboy bebop(im talking about how the present the story).

I think I'd enjoy this due to it's unique fighting system, but I just signed up for a couple of games at Blockbuster so I guess I'll wait a while.

[quote name='youngavatar']Resonance of fate is not for every one as i said ealier it a challenge game. check out some more reviews and rent the game to see if you like it. resonance of fate does have a story the best way i can describe it is cowboy bebop(im talking about how the present the story).[/QUOTE]

Just because it's a "challenge game" (which I seriously doubt) doesn't mean that's why people don't like it.

[quote name='rentacop']Just because it's a "challenge game" (which I seriously doubt) doesn't mean that's why people don't like it.[/QUOTE]

hey you don't got to believe me, but before you actually judge a game how about doing your research first.

It's not challenging. It IS a lot of grinding, though. Especially when you need to clear the map out of being anal.

Battles go as follows: Build up resonance, attack enemy while crossing imaginary lines, get back hero points as you kill them, unleash resonance if needed. Rinse, repeat. When you do this constantly, the battles can get repetitive.

The overworld is practically empty. The few areas you enter are very sparse. It's a time sink with battles added on. I expected much more from this game, but I still like it (what can I say, I actually enjoy grinding and having an occasional battle I have to think about.)

Just because this might be challenging for some, does that give it the necessity to have almost no story whatsover? Half of the time they're just accomplishing random tasks, and the backstory can be somewhat cryptic until you get further into the game. For the "average" gamer, i'd say you'd be better off paying $20.

Calling yourself an experienced RPG gamer is like saying you can stare at the paint drying much longer than other people. A pretty useless skill, and incredibly easy to pick up.

Picked up yesterday morning at this price. Couldn't wait for it to drop any longer, and $40 is more than fair enough for this game from what I've played I've seen.

Rented this from Gamefly and it's worth the $40. I'm personally waiting for it to drop to $30 since I want to own and finish it. When I returned it back, I was at chapter 10.

[quote name='blahtastic']Can you pick it up for me? I'd be happy to pay you the cost + shipping.[/QUOTE]

They had about 4-5 copies left in the bin. Ill stop by tomorrow and see if theres any left. It will be about $15 after tax. Would $25 shipped worked for you? $5 for my time and $5 for shipping to ya?

[quote name='bojay1997']Are you sure you aren't confusing this with one of the Square Enix 360 JRPGs that have been $20 for a while now? Resonance of Fate has always been $60 at Best Buy with this being the first sale on the title they have had. I know our local store had it in the bargain 30% off bin as well, but it was 30% off of $60 and today it was 30% off of $40 at which point I grabbed it.[/QUOTE]

Yes Im positive considering I only own a PS3 and I was looking at the game and looked it up on my iphone at the store to see what it was about in more detail.

In the bin they also had ninja gaiden sigma 2 at 30% off but it was the original $59.99 ticket price, they also had one or two others at 30% off that were I believe 39.99 price.

Been out for months & this is the lowest it's been at? $20 now, come on.

I'd go right now but I don't trust anything made by TriAce.

Just like a lot of you, I'm waiting for it to drop to the $29.99 (or under) mark. Same thing for Star Ocean: The Last Hope International.

[quote name='eddie291']I wouldn't mind trying it out for $40. Thanks for the heads up OP.

Any particular version to get?[/QUOTE]

It's built on the same engine as Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean: The Last Hope. The Xbox 360 was the target platform. However, they are very close. Either one is good.

Lens of Truth did a head-to-head comparison if you want to see: http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=18874

[quote name='driver01z']Just asking for opinions on this game - IGN said the battles get old eventually, and that you have to grind a lot in order to be able to win the hard battles, and that many battles are hard to the point that you will lose if you make even one mistake, or if you simply aren't at a high level.
Any opinions? I'm not interested in repetitive grinding.[/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed the game, or at least enough to put in 60 hours to do all the sidequests and finish the game. There is a lot of battling, but the combat system was fun and unique enough that I enjoyed it. It took a couple hours for the combat system to really "click" with me (I recommend doing all the tutorials at the arena, and then just trying some fights for yourself), but then I was hooked. Although maybe I was biased because I tried getting into FFXIII for about 20 hours beforehand, and got sick of doing a zillion boring battles in a row, haha. If you don't like the battle system, I can see why you wouldn't like the game, but I feel like that's the case for a lot of RPGs.

I never really had to do much grinding, although maybe that was because I did all the sidequests. One key thing you need to do is switch around everyone's weapons every so often; there are handguns, SMGs, and explosives, and your individual levels in each category sum up to your total level, which determines your HP, among other things. If you don't do that, I could see how you might have to grind a bit.

The people who are saying there is no story are at least partially correct. There is an overarching story, but it is rather cryptic until about halfway through the game where things start falling into place. The plot is definitely very character-driven; it's mainly about these three mercenaries in this steampunk world doing odd jobs for people, and I was okay with that because the 3 characters you play as were likable. There are also a lot of pretty funny scenes, the game doesn't take itself all that seriously a lot of the time. One of the later chapters involves you saving Christmas by dressing up as Santa and reindeer, and the "battles" involve throwing presents at children, if that is any indication. ;)

Another mechanic in the game that I like that hasn't been mentioned is the weapon customization. Any parts you have for your guns, you have to go to a blueprint and connect all the pieces together like an actual gun. There are silencers, grips, scopes, etc., and you can only connect them together in certain ways. I thought it was neat. You can also scrap items for parts, or combine them to make new items. Although it's entirely optional, there are a ton of crazy outfits you can buy for your team as well (my crew was looking pretty classy by the end of the game ;)).

As for some negative stuff, the graphics aren't all that great, if that's a big deal to you. And I found many of the bosses to be kind of tough, which can be frustrating; usually in those cases, you'll want to equip some different items or reconsider your strategy.

If you are the fence, feel free to wait. But, if you enjoy RPGs, I think you should definitely give this game a shot at some point. There's definitely a lot of unique stuff going on in this game, I found it to be a good experience.

EDIT: Sorry about the wall of text. I didn't realize I had written so much. :/

[quote name='youngavatar']resonance of fate is for experince rpg gamer it the opposite of FF13 it doesn't hold your hands. to the average gamer it will get repetitve but to experince gamer it will a challenge rpg that require you to think be4 you attack. the one big issue i had with this game it does require you to grind on the near the end and the story is lacking. this game is worth $40 espcially if your looking for a challenge rpg.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Brother Daz']lol@ "the average gamer":roll:[/QUOTE]

He's right, you're wrong...so what are you debating again, other than your inability to grasp the combat system in the game.

Maybe instead of average vs experienced, he should have said people who have patience vs. instant gratification w****s. (My words, not his)

This game isn't for those who are casual RPG players, you either get it or you don't there is NO middle ground with this game, best 170 hours I've spent in awhile. I admit it has flaws (many flaws) but the character interaction and combat system saved it for me, and was an enjoyable quest from start to finish, always impressing me with how you can use the battle system to your advantage and have fun too.

I'm speeding through my second playthrough right now, and enjoying the goofy humor and appreciating the intricate (though veiled) story the game has.

I was literally shocked with how deep and complicated the battle system is in this game. If you and Thongsy found it repetitive and dull then apparently you were playing it via the Hero Action ad infinitum method, which is boring and repetitive. You can mix it up with spike down attacks, airborne attacks, tri attacks, standing still and attacking, gauge breaking, stunning an opponent and a whole bunch more ways of mixing and matching.

I had to change how I played given the circumstances of the fights, the weapons I had on hand, how they were customized, I mean it gives plenty of choices to battle, depending on how you want to play. It never got dull (except in the arena) because it was forcing me to learn new ways to effectively kill enemies instead of the same move over and over again.

So I don't see how you don't "get it" but after reading posts similar to your elsewhere it's not a surprise, it's not a game for those who don't have time or patience to learn it's secrets and you are apparently one of 'em. **Shrugs, walks away**

[quote name='Xenogears']

...i've heard....

....Still, i havent played the game, but this is what i hear. [/QUOTE]

So your opinion is good for what...:drool:

The graphics are very detailed when the camera pans in, problem is, most of the game is played from an overhead view making those details not very obvious.

Not gonna debate, if you've never played it...:whistle2:#

[quote name='Interfeci']It's not challenging. It IS a lot of grinding, though. Especially when you need to clear the map out of being anal.

Just because this might be challenging for some, does that give it the necessity to have almost no story whatsover? Half of the time they're just accomplishing random tasks, and the backstory can be somewhat cryptic until you get further into the game. For the "average" gamer, i'd say you'd be better off paying $20.

Calling yourself an experienced RPG gamer is like saying you can stare at the paint drying much longer than other people. A pretty useless skill, and incredibly easy to pick up.[/QUOTE]

This is pretty much spot on, even though I disagree here and there.

And lol at the last paragraph, apparently that's a skill I've gotten really good at over the years...haha. :lol:

Edit: And for the record I paid $26 for it when Gamestop had their 25% off of $100 sale (or whatever it was) it's worth at least $35-40 IMO.

I picked up it up last month when I made them PM the TRU B1G1 50off as a Christmas gift for the BF(I got Arc Rise for $20 for me). They gave me a refund for the difference yesterday. I used the $20 to get Tetris Party for myself. Huzzah.

[quote name='beard_of_zeus']Sorry about the wall of text. I didn't realize I had written so much. :/[/QUOTE]
Just wanted to thank you for the thoughtful post, it's nice to read why someone liked a game without any "If you don't like it you must be a noob who just doesn't understand".

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Just wanted to thank you for the thoughtful post, it's nice to read why someone liked a game without any "If you don't like it you must be a noob who just doesn't understand".[/QUOTE]

seriously i apologize if i said something to offend you guys.i was just trying to help people that interested in the game. i never called anyone a noob, i was just trying to get my point accross about this game. since some people where bashing this game without giving a vaild reason.

Talked toa local best buy rep, asked about if they had it, since none of the locals stores show it online(unable to ship to stores also), he said its an online only product now (unless some stores still have it)

[quote name='Jaefster']Amazon has it new at 38.98 after shipping through a third party seller, a much better price than Best Buy (at least here in California) since they don't charge tax.[/QUOTE]

Good news man, that price dropped to $34.99 through a third party reseller.

This is getting hella tempting now!

I paid $46.99 for it after the $10 credit from FXIII promo and it was totally worth it. When I played for the couple hours, I had no idea what was going on. The crummy tutorial didnt really help and I was dying all the damn time. The battle system was incredibly frustrating, I thought this game was garbage and I wanted my money back. :p But I kept playing anyways since I was bored and I'm glad I did. After getting the hang of the battle system the game became FUN (they look pretty cool when performing attacks too), the story is humorous, but it youre expecting an epic story, look somewhere else. Probably one of my favorite games...

Hopefully this deal lasts until this Friday BC that when I get paid.
I also still need to pick up a bunch of other things too, but I think I can add this to the pile.

I scanned the thread and noticed no one mentioned KMart. I picked this game up from the catch-all KMart thread when it dropped there, but don't remember how much it dropped to when I bit. It should technically be at that price now, since it wasn't a sale, just a price drop.

L-O-V-E the game. Complex battle system, dressing up is way more fun than it should be, unique world with unique characters. Put nearly 80 hours into my first run and will play again once I clear SC II, DQXIV, and the new Lara Croft game from my queue.

bread's done
Back