Restoring a laptop back to factory settings

Techman16

CAGiversary!
Okay Im not 100% if this is the right place to post this question but Ill give it a shot. I have a Toshiba Satellite that is running Windows Vista (this laptop is like 5-7 years old) and I want to remove all the files (but want to keep the os) to give this old laptop to my parents to use. The problem is I can't find any of the orginal back up disks that came with the laptop. So what I want to know if there is anyway I could restore this computer back to factory settings while keeping the os all without the orginal back up / restore disks?

[quote name='Techman16']Okay Im not 100% if this is the right place to post this question but Ill give it a shot. I have a Toshiba Satellite that is running Windows Vista (this laptop is like 5-7 years old) and I want to remove all the files (but want to keep the os) to give this old laptop to my parents to use. The problem is I can't find any of the orginal back up disks that came with the laptop. So what I want to know if there is anyway I could restore this computer back to factory settings while keeping the os all without the orginal back up / restore disks?[/QUOTE]
Most laptops dont give u any restore disk u need to make them when u buy the computer. Newer laptops have the option to run it from the hard drive tho.

I had windows xp on my laptop and didn't have any backup disks so i just install ubuntu when my system crashed

its free hope it helps:)
http://www.ubuntu.com/download

If you can find a disc of the OS that your computer came with, you can install that, then install the drivers from the Toshiba website.

You can also buy an upgrade copy of either windows 7 or 8. A windows 8 upgrade will only cost $40 once it becomes available.

There should be a setting within the OS that lets you reformat back into the factory settings as if you just fired it up for the first time.

bread's done
Back