Resurfacing DVDs?

_heretic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I suppose this isn't really a deal request, but does anyone know where I could get a DVD resurfaced? I have one that doesn't play, and I'm fairly certain that it is because it is scratched, as it was otherwise brand new. It just got loose in the case, and scratched a bit.

I'm a little wary of using a DiscDoctor or something to do it, since I don't want to screw up the disc. I think I would prefer to have it done by someone that knows what they are doing, though I might consider the DiscDoctor route if other people have had success with that.

I've called Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, EBGames, and Gamestop, and none of them say they do this. I can't think of any smaller rental stores around me, but I may be able to find one if I look a bit harder. Has anyone else had this done, and where could I find someone to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[quote name='_heretic']I suppose this isn't really a deal request, but does anyone know where I could get a DVD resurfaced? I have one that doesn't play, and I'm fairly certain that it is because it is scratched, as it was otherwise brand new. It just got loose in the case, and scratched a bit.

I'm a little wary of using a DiscDoctor or something to do it, since I don't want to screw up the disc. I think I would prefer to have it done by someone that knows what they are doing, though I might consider the DiscDoctor route if other people have had success with that.

I've called Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, EBGames, and Gamestop, and none of them say they do this. I can't think of any smaller rental stores around me, but I may be able to find one if I look a bit harder. Has anyone else had this done, and where could I find someone to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]
I think EB did it once for me bought I had just bought the game there. I don't know of any others though, if you feel up to it you can try it yourself here are some guides
Guide 1
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Comparisons

Most of the places that have professional disc resurfacing machines are used music cd shops, and mom and pop video game stores. Most of the chains don't do it. Your best bet is a used cd store.

I went to a GameCrazy that was attached to a Hollywood Video (are they all?) and they had a resurfacing machine. If you have one near you it couldn't hurt to call them.

I know you called a Hollywood but try a GameCrazy

Doesn't GameCrazy do resurfacing now? I thought I saw a sign for it when I last visited.

Otherwise, I would definitely try a used CD store. I remember the Disc-Go-Round here used to have a machine, but now their "machine" is a guy with polish and a rag.

Anyone know a good way to clean dust off of cd's without scratching them? T-shirt doesn't cut it. Maybe rubbing alcohol and some q tips?

[quote name='Saucy Jack']but now their "machine" is a guy with polish and a rag.
[/QUOTE]

It would be cooler if it was some huge stinky guy and he spit shined them.

[quote name='The VGM']Anyone know a good way to clean dust off of cd's without scratching them? T-shirt doesn't cut it. Maybe rubbing alcohol and some q tips?[/QUOTE]

Breathe on them and use toilet paper or tissues
If you're really anal you can buy canned air at a camera or computer/office store

[quote name='The VGM']Anyone know a good way to clean dust off of cd's without scratching them? T-shirt doesn't cut it. Maybe rubbing alcohol and some q tips?[/QUOTE]

Wet a really soft Kleenex and wipe from the center outwards (not in a circle). Then, get a dry soft Kleenex and repeat to dry.

Thanks for all your help! I hadn't thought to call GameCrazy specifically, since the Hollywood Video near me said they didn't do buffing or resurfacing. Sure enough, the closest GameCrazy did, and now the DVD plays perfectly. Thanks again!

bread's done
Back