Retro Duo and Gen X - US Release? And Where?

soccerstud652

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
Any idea on where and when these are coming out in the United States?

fauxconsole.jpg
img_0042.jpg

I'm curious how close these controllers are to the originals. They definitely seem to have the shape right, though the button edges look a little off. Also, I thought Nintendo still held patents on the dpad in several countries, or have those finally lapsed?

[quote name='sayHey']I grabbed a retro duo off eBay for 70 dollars shipped.

I can take some pictures if requested.[/quote]

Pics are appreciated!

I was also wondering about this. Do you think Game Crazy will sell it, they did sell the Messiah. So this Videogamecentral.com site is it safe to buy from, any info you can give? Also can the Retro Duo work with original SNES controllers?

sweet pix:

retro001cu4.jpg

box

retro002sh9.jpg

more box.. omg sweet handle

retro003ll6.jpg

unused controller (came with 2) surprisingly high quality..

retro004fv3.jpg

console.. pretty compact

retro005am0.jpg

back workings.. in case you cared

retro006ls3.jpg

size comparison.. (bonus: you can plug regular SNES controllers in if you feel like it.. i dont think i ever will.. i'm a fan of the ones included.

can't wait to score some more games for it..

you can find them on ebay for 40 if you find a good deal though (right after I bought mine, I search "Retro Duo SNES" and see one for 40.. goddammit! :p)

J7: yes

[quote name='voidcoefficient']Great pix, now can you answer the big question: is it just another "NES-on-a-chip" or is it something new?[/QUOTE]
I'm curious about this too...the NES-on-a-chip ones don't play certain games very well, or at all, like Castlevania III or other MMCed games

[quote name='"Kotaku Article"']One advantage the Retro Duo has over some of the other NES/SNES clones is its ability to properly play the original Starfox, which looked and played just as we remembered it.[/quote]
seems like it plays all games fine, but I don't really know for sure

I volunteer to be the gunea pig though, so feel free to send me your copies of Castlevania III :)

edit: "Kotaku Article" hasn't even been mentioned yet in this thread.. lol

http://kotaku.com/343432/hands+on-with-the-retro-duo-the-nessnes-hybrid

The guys at videogamecentral put up a new video showing it ran mario rpg. He also said it didn't appear to be an emulator on a chip. I'm deffinitly planning on picking one up.

This would be perfect for someone just strictly collecting games...... I dont have a problem with bootleg consoles...espesically since they dont make the nes or snes.....so no one is really winning or loosing. The only consoles I hate at those 10,000 in 1 pieces of shit that they sell at the mall or at the state fair.

I just got a Retro Duo, and guess what... popped in CASTLEVANIA 3 ,
and it works perfectly. played it for 3 hours straight now, with perfect graphics and sound.. amazing.. not even the messiah or fc twin could get this game to work, not to mention all the other snes titles this game managed to play.

definately a good buy.

[quote name='Faxanadu']I just got a Retro Duo, and guess what... popped in CASTLEVANIA 3 ,
and it works perfectly. played it for 3 hours straight now, with perfect graphics and sound.. amazing.. not even the messiah or fc twin could get this game to work, not to mention all the other snes titles this game managed to play.

definately a good buy.[/QUOTE]
Thats it. I am getting one now. Gotta find it for $50 shipped on ebay like I saw before. I dont want to buy from the seller that has them now as he wants $70 shipped.

Yea, i think there will be more systems showing up on ebay or on sites soon, i checked innex's site and it seems they are getting their first big load in next week.

Is it safe to buy this on ebay, couldn't there be a lot of fakes? Any tips on how to know who to buy from?

Is there any significant difference between this console and the FC Twin console? They both play NES/SNES games and the FC Twin can be bought from a store (estarland) so you can avoid ebay if you wish.

BTW: 'Bootleg' is probably the wrong term for the console. "Generic" would be more appropriate. Remember, the purpose of the Patent system is that the patent holder gets a monopoly for a limited amount of time, then the technology goes into public knowledge.

Hey guys,

actually if you dont want to buy from ebay, there are sites selling the Retro duo right now. pretty good prices at 48.99 - 49.99. heres some reputable sites that carry retro duo:

www.videogamecentral.com

i got mine from videogamecentral.com . came to me with no delays.

www.gameasylum.com

as for significant differences, i'd say the retro duo comes on top in many ways.
i own both systems , and i must say, not only does my retro duo look awesome next to my other consoles, but the fact that you get s-video, ability to play super famicom games without an adapter or snipping the plastic tabs off the fc twin to do that, most importantly the retro duo plays the snes games that are protected , like kirby, mario rpg, donkey kong country series etc.

they used alot better components on the retro it seems. everything feels very good and its actually very good quality, like the other poster said earlier in this thread. fc twin feels alot more flimsy and the plastic is alot thinner on the console itself.

the biggest concern i'd have when even considering the fc twin is ,that theres too many versions of it floating in the market , from what i learned.
some of the versions of the fc twin are like the one i got- they dont work with any controllers outside of the ones they come with. in other words, if you lose the controller it comes with or they break, youre F***ed.

so i guess my suggestion is, just get the retro duo , if you have to make a choice, seems theyre going for the same price anyway, and you get those welcome bonuses too.

[quote name='Purkeynator']does it play castlevania 3?[/quote]

yea it played castlevania 3 on the retro duo, as well as bad dudes.

both games (castlevania 3 and bad dudes), when i used them on the FC twin , however, just displayed the sound and no picture. there might be many other titles that fall in this category, i just dont have all the games to test hehe.

[quote name='soccerstud652']Videogamecentral is way too expensive...close to $70 after taxes and shipping. I'll wait for these to hit stores...[/QUOTE]
I emailed a seller that had them for $50 shipped about two weeks ago and he said he should get more in soon. I am waiting........

If you have a RePlay games near you might want to check them out. They have a tendency to carry stuff like this. I'm not sure if they have this one but they carried the others ones so it's worth a shot to check.

[quote name='Faxanadu']yea it played castlevania 3 on the retro duo, as well as bad dudes.

both games (castlevania 3 and bad dudes), when i used them on the FC twin , however, just displayed the sound and no picture. there might be many other titles that fall in this category, i just dont have all the games to test hehe.[/quote]

Someone on Digital Press just got the Gen-X and said CV3 doesn't work and that Gen-X was more or less a NOAC. I wonder if this means the Gen-X and Retro Duo have different NES internals.

[quote name='voidcoefficient']Someone on Digital Press just got the Gen-X and said CV3 doesn't work and that Gen-X was more or less a NOAC. I wonder if this means the Gen-X and Retro Duo have different NES internals.[/quote]

yea i dont think the gen x works on those games like castlevania 3 etc.
so far the only system castlevania 3 worked on was the retro duo.im not really sure what it is but maybe something slightly different internally. One thing i noticed is the retro duo comes with a 5v ac adapter to comply with this years importing rule, (new law to save energy?)since importing 10v ac adapters will not be allowed by this year.

I just ordered one off ebay. got it for $50 + $10 shipping. I think if you wait these will go down a bit (maybe $40-50 including shipping). I will post reacts when I get it. It does look pretty badass. I got the red & black one to match the spiderman prints above my tv :)

Well, I got my Retro Duo from the seller on Amazon and its a neat little system. I am enjoying the old games of yesteryear. Doesn't this system play import games? I'm thinking it does and I will buy some import SNES games that never came here.

[quote name='soccerstud652']Did you specify a color? I really want a white, but the seller says it varies...[/QUOTE]
My seller showed white and I got a white one. The seller was Classic Game Source Inc.

oh, and as for my earlier question, it says right on the box it plays most Japanese games. duh! I need to read better.

[quote name='mrlokievil']If you have a RePlay games near you might want to check them out. They have a tendency to carry stuff like this. I'm not sure if they have this one but they carried the others ones so it's worth a shot to check.[/quote]

I know I'm kind of bringing this back from the dead, but I went to a replay yesterday and they have the FCTwin but I did not see the retro duo. I think I will hold out until I can get one there the FC was prices at 49.99 so I think the Retro will be also.

Yea smart move to hold off..seriously the retro will be the same price plus all the extra goodies. Also you might end up with one of the older model fc twins, which are HORRIBLE.

also, watch out for this other one that play n trade stores carry lol
its called the FC DUAL.. my friend thought that was a retro duo, and bought it,
even though it looks nothing like it. dont know what he was thinking.

Anyway, that FC DUAL is made by the same people that made FC TWIN (yobo?)
and its actually worse than the fc twin. it only has an ON/OFF button, which means, you can only have 1 cartridge plugged in at one time. if you have both cartridges in there at once, it gives a black screen. No 16 bit/8 bit selector button.
To top it off, the controllers SUCK.. they look like some crazy plug n play controller .

My friend returned it the next day, and bought a Retro Duo from a Game X Change. Been happy ever since.

You guys suck. I bought one just because I was too curious:

USPS Box:
package.jpg

Retro Duo box:
retropackage.jpg

Pretty console:
retroconsole.jpg

Super Metroid in the console:
supermetroiscart.jpg

I have to admit, I'm really impressed. I was weary of a NES/SNES clone after spending the majority of my youth wasting hours playing these games. The console weighs next to nothing but does not feel cheap. The controllers are slightly more solid feeling and the port it connects to are the same as on the original SNES. I'm not exactly sure how it works if you use you're original SNES controllers and play NES games but you've always got the supplied controller in case it doesn't work.

The whole shebang is powered by a single cell-phone-looking power supply that is much thinner than any wall-wart which is something like 5v. If you're looking to retire old consoles or jumping into the retro market for the first time, I cannot see how you could possibly go wrong.

I have to agree with everything you just said about the Retro duo , Nixon's Revenge.

its pretty much the safest bet out of the fami clones out there, plus , whats the risk in it? it costs less than a new release xbox 360 game or ps3 game.

Nice pics man, i got the white one too, and it looks DAMN good next to my white ps3, since they both have that same glossy coating.

Looks alot better in person , thats for sure.

Its kinda like downloading a song , or owning the album of an artist you really like.

On games i really liked , i just like to own the cart and play it how i did back in the day. i guess its just for collection purposes, or for the simple fact that some people still have the carts at home somewhere. Great chance to put them back to use :)

Yea, I understand the concept. Guess I'm not much into collecting anymore. I sold all my good snes games. That console is pretty sweet. I'd probably get back into collecting if I got one.

I was really young when i had a super nintendo.
And i don't remember if i could save my progress on all the games or not.
And i don't seem to be able to on the retro duo.
Can you only save your progress on certain games?
Thanks.

bread's done
Back