Drclaw411

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
CURRENT DEALS:

$129.99 with free shipping at ThinkGeek

Important Information
​Warranty registration - http://www.retron5.com/warrantyregistration_/
Patch Notes / How to Update (Last update 6/10/2014) - http://retron5.in/?src=98f13708210194c475687be6106a3b84

I've included the text from the pre-order era of this OP in spoilers for reference.
UPDATE 5/27/14: It's real this time. Hyperkin's June 6 release date is happening. Many mom and pop stores that have received their units have started selling them already, and many people who have ordered from Amazon (myself included) are reporting getting emails from Amazon notifying them that their orders qualify for release day delivery and are updating estimated delivery status to June 6th, no longer showing the "we need more time" placeholder. It's worth noting that so far only people who have ordered the grey unit from Amazon are receiving order updates (which coincides with Hyperkin reporting on their facebook page that they had shipped Amazon's grey preorder units, but Amazon had yet to place an order for the black units). All consoles that have been shown off online by reviewers, people who have been able to buy them before the street date, or Hyperkin themselves have all been grey consoles to this point. No word on black consoles. Another note: Chris Gallizzi of Hyperkin responded to an inquiry about Newegg orders by saying that he is not aware of any issues with Newegg's preorders, and they should be good to go for the launch.

UPDATE 5/22/14: Just one day after IGN and Polygon reported that Hyperkin would begin shipping units to retailers on May 22 (today as of this writing), Hyperkin essentially confirmed that. They have announced that the launch date for the long overdue RetroN 5 is June 6th, 2014. In a much quieter fashion (just by responding to a random person's comment) they confirmed this would be for North America only and that the console would launch in the UK in September. There is also one more small hitch. The rumor that the first batch of units would be only for mom/pop B&M retailers and that NO units from this batch would go to Amazon or Newegg has been gaining some serious steam. While Hyperkin has been responding to a decent amount of comments on their facebook page from excited fans, they continue to ignore questions about when Amazon orders will ship. So it seems those of us who preordered on Amazon still don't have a solid release date. Fulfillment could happen any time between June 6th through September or beyond.

UPDATE 5/21/14: IGN today reported that the RetroN 5 would begin shipping out on May 22 (tomorrow, as of this writing)! This coincides with Chris Gazzilli, Hyperkin's project manager, posting a picture on his facebook page of a massive shipping container full of RetroN 5 units. Ladies and Gentlemen, it seems hell may have just frozen over.

UPDATE 5/13/14: Hyperkin has listed the RetroN 5, and it's controllers, on their company wholesale store for authorized retailers to buy. The console (both colors) and controllers (both colors) are listed as sold out. I'm not sure if they were in stock and sold out quickly, or if they haven't been made available yet. Regardless, it's good news that the system is listed for the first time ever. Additionally, reviewers such as GameSpot and several youtube reviewers have received their review units, which appear to be retail units. The RetroN 5 seems to finally be around the corner. We'll see, but things look promising right now. One thing to note: the listing for the console on Hyperkin's wholesale page indicates that each wholesale box contains six units. If this is the case, it would seem to debunk the previous report of the console being shipped in quantities of four per retailer.

UPDATE 4/25/14: While this hasn't technically been confirmed by Hyperkin, I take it as fact. It's worth remembering that NOTHING has been officially confirmed by Hyperkin. Hyperkin has remained silent until unofficially confirming almost all known info in random interviews with various youtubers and forum members. Therefor, again, I take this as fact:

I spoke to Hyperkin today.

Here are the "unofficial" details.

The "end of May" release is a "soft" release. Meaning they really are waiting for the next batch due in the summer for the official real release. Amazon is NOT getting any of the units released at the end of May. Each retailer is only getting 4 units. Retail on the unit is $139.99 and $39.99 for the additional controller. The reasons for the price increase are both cosmetic and technical but if it works as it should then it should be a great retro system.

Our 4 are already taken with pre-orders. If you know any stores locally that are getting units, and you want one for end of May, then i suggest you contact them and put money down. Keep in mind that each store is getting 4 units only for the soft launch.
UPDATE 4/17/14: Hyperkin has increased the price of the RetroN 5, saying "north of $100, between $129.99 and $149.99". Alll pre-orders from Amazon should be honored via their pre-order price guarantee. I believe Newegg has the same guarantee, I am not sure about Stone Age Gamer or 8 Bit Classics. Think Geek still hasn't opened pre-orders on the unit, instead offering a link to be signed up for email notifications as to when it will be available. Also on the Amazon front, they have sold out or pre-orders. Furthermore, it is more likely you'll learn the ETA from Amazon, Newegg, or whoever you ordered it from. Hyperkin has gone on record of saying they will never again announce a hard release date for anything.

UPDATE 4/12/14: After Hyperkin denied the console was delayed again and vigoruosuly shoved the month of April up everyone's ass for half a year, today they delayed the vaporware console yet again. At the Midwest Gaming Classic, they did their annual presentation. They ignored the planned April 2014 release, but finally somebody in the crowd asked about it. The Hyperkin rep said it was releasing in "30 days, guaranteed". This is not the first time they used the word "guaranteed", last time was about April so this doesn't mean jack shit. So maybe it'll randomly show up at people's houses at the end of may, maybe it wont, and maybe my ass will fly out of my ass.

Retron 5 Delay History:
-Summer 2013 (which they continued to say after summer was over, claiming they meant "Indian Summer" or "California Summer"....i'm not making this up)
-December 10 2013
-Quarter 1 2014
-Quarter 2 2014
-First two weeks of April
-April 2014, guaranteed
-Gauranteed within 30-40 days of April 12, 2014
-June 6 2014

DELAYED. ANY UPDATES FROM HYPERKIN WILL COME ON THEIR FACEBOOK PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/HyperkinGames

UPDATE: In a recent interview, Hyperkin confirmed that the initial batch of units WILL NOT BE ENOUGH to meet day ome demand. Also confirmed was the ability for the system to act as a multitap. Example: in a four player SNES game, two players could use snes controlles, one player could use the retron controller, and one player could use a genesis controller. Interview can be found here.

Pre-order at Amazon (SOLD OUT)
Pre-order at Newegg: Black (SOLD OUT) or Grey (SOLD OUT)
Pre-order at Stone Age Gamer (DUE TO HIGH DEMAND, RELEASE DAY DELIVERY NOT PROMISED)
Pre-order at 8 Bit Classics (DUE TO HIGH DEMAND, RELEASE DAY DELIVERY NOT PROMISED)

UPDATE: Hyperkin claims that they opened up some packaged retail units and discovered some units had faulty pins. because of this, the Retron 5 has been delayed. No new release date has been announced, although Hyperkin has stated the unit will release in 2014 and that they are aiming for Q1. This is the Retron 5's third delay.

EDIT: Preorders are sold out at Amazon and Newegg.

Retron5 pre-orders have finally (about damn time) opened.

For those of you who have been following this console, you know it's quite highly anticipated and looks to be far better than any clone system released before.

For those unfamiliar, here's a little info:

• It's one system that plays games for the following systems: NES, SNES, Genesis, Mega Drive, Famicom, Super Famicom, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance.
  • Two controller ports for each console will be built in with the system. It will also come with one wireless universal controller.
  • Outputs in HDMI and upscales for HDTVs. Early impressions and videos of this have been extremley postive. From the website: "The RetroN 5 will up convert the video signal to show clearer and cleaner images, with vibrant colors on an HDTV with a resolution output of up to 720p through the use of shaders. You will also be able to select the aspect ratio in our GUI, from the standard 4:3 to the HD ratio of 16:9."
  • Features a user interface (dashboard. Somewhat similar of the PS3 interface in appearance, in my opinion).
  • Features save states. From the website: "Most games did not allow for you to freely save your games. The RetroN 5 will allow you to save their games at any point during gameplay, and will feature an autosave feature upon shutdown. You will be able to load your saves at anytime during gameplay."
  • Button reassignment supported. From the website: "Users will be able to program the controller to assign buttons to their preference. In turn, the RetroN 5 will save these custom layouts, so that users will not have to constantly reconfigure the button configuration. This feature will also be available to people wanting to remap their buttons on their original controllers."
  • 100% game cartridge compatibility, without lag.
  • Sega Power Base Converter compatible, allowing Sega Master System games to be played.
More information is here. It may be a bit dated since this was from back when they first announced the console, but I figured it was the best site to link since it also featured some screenshots as well. http://hyperkin.com/blog/2013/03/retron-5-details-revealed-from-the-midwest-gaming-classic/ There is also plenty of info on Hyperkin's facebook page.

I've been looking forward to this for a long time, and i'm extremley excited that pre-orders are finally open. For one console that not only plays all of these console's games, but upscales them and features save states (either to the cartridge (if supported) or the console itself)...this seems like a great deal. And if you've been following the hype for the console, there is a good chance it could end up selling out. Hyperkin isn't a huge company and this thing has a TON of pre-release demand (just check out the comments on the facebook page). I like the look of the black one a bit better, because it seems to be the traditional console color nowadays. But I opted for the grey model because the black console and controller seem like they'd be fingerprint magnets.

Preorder either color here at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-RetroN-Gaming-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B00DZIX3CQ/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1378958043&sr=8-13&keywords=retron+5 or here at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=retron%205&N=-1&isNodeId=1&RandomID=65244712392254220130925161655

Here are pictures of the two consoles, since the pictures on Amazon aren't that great:

Grey:
Retron-5.jpg

Black:
e3_retron5_03550.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks OP for the info about this, never knew about it until today.  I'm also debating on which color to choose....every console I currently play is black, so it might be a nice change of pace to get the grey one.

My actual SNES plastic turned yellow. I wonder if the grey version will eventually have this problem after many years.
I decided to get the grey one, a nice nostalgic trip back to my childhood with a SNES and N64 :) I doubt the grey plastic will yellow like the SNES did....actually later models of the system used a different plastic material that doesn't yellow quite as much, if at all.

I don't like the look but I'm interested in it.

As for the naysayers, why complain and fight it? If you don't like it, don't get it. You shouldn't even post, it's not like you're going to convince the ones that do want it, not to get it. It's just you spreading negativity.

It's a great solution for people that don't pirate games via a thousand roms. Maybe we have old carts that we wanna play, without dragging out every system every time. With this, I can keep my legacy stuff on display, and still play all my games.
I'm interested in this for the same reason. If it does as advertised, it becomes really convenient and saves space. Plus I don't do the whole Rom thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll wait. Already have a PS4 preordered and with my other hobbies I can't spare another $100. Besides, I want to wait and see the reviews. What happens if it turns out to be a turf that breaks down in a couple of months? You're boned.

I was hoping for a much earlier release date, not just a mere two weeks before the PS4 launch. All well, I ordered one in gray.

Hmmm, want this so I only have to have one system hooked up for a lot of my old games, they both look nice but I'm leaning towards grey.....will have to think for a while but this definitely interests me

The save states will be pretty handy for any games with drained batteries (no more working saves).
I hadn't thought about this. I would be able to finish some of those old Gameboy games, hmmm......

I had a Retron 3. I plugged in the wrong AC adapter that had reserve polarity. My stupid fault, and I am still kicking myself about it, but the board didn't have any reserve polarity protection that I could see, it was on the cheaper side of construction. This on the other had looks a little better made.

I don't think it has anything to do with licensing, this is not a System on a Chip like the old NES clones, it's full emulation. This is no different than buying a cheap android tablet, loading it with emulators, and hooking it to a TV. If the licensing was an issue this wouldn't be able to play Game Boy Advance games.

I guess i just don't see who this is for. People who don't know better, maybe? Why spend $100 on this when buying a SNES, NES, and Genesis would probably be cheaper in the end, or the same price.

Also, on PC - emulators have come a long way.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R199cOUx3w8[/MEDIA]

Get the retrode http://www.retrode.org/ and you can archive and save those games and save files as well as play games legally.
its for people with money to waste, and do not want to clutter their tv with 15 different consoles

how exactly is this allowed to be made? It seems like it would slaughter nintendo and sega whoring out their history in "virtual console" and "collections" every year.
Unless it can play roms I doubt it's illgegal in any way. Even roms are, at worst, a grey area.

I have a hard time imagining something like this selling though. How many people really have tons of old games laying around? And even then, the batteries on a lot of NES/SNES/GB/ect games are dead now, making saving impossible (unless it somehow saves directly to the console? It does mention save states...).

Either way I'd be considering this if it played N64 games, but it doesn't so I'm passing.

Once companies stop offering support for their past products it becomes up for grabs. Since this only uses cartridges and not DLC. I think this is awesome for those of us who would like to reduce the space all the consoles take up. I know i sure talked alot about having such a thing =).

Still have my OG Genesis/32X/CD plugged in and working like a dream. 

That said, I couldn't be more excited about getting the Retron 5. I never had any of the Nintendo Consoles and am looking forward to hitting up the retro game shops to pick up some classic titles to play on the Retron.

The HDMI out is a HUGE plus. Even though my Genesis is outputting RGB to a converter box to give me Component, I don't see myself going through the trouble of doing so for the number of systems supported by the Retron. 

And let's not forget Gameboy/Color/Advance support. I can't wait to play Metal Gear Ghost Babel on my HDTV. 

Anyway, thanks for the heads up TC. I pre-ordered the Grey one. As a Sega kid, it feels a bit traitorous, but the black model looks like a glossy dust magnet. 

Thanks for the heads up. I had my eye on this system after trying to find a good RGB to HDMI box converter. Now I can pack away my SNES and Genny into their Original Box and Display and keep this system out for Gaming.

In 5 years if another version comes out with the N64 emu i will pack that away as well. :)

Damn you, CAG! I joined to save money, not spend more!

... But yeah, I pre-ordered one. I have a bunch of cartridges I don't use for not having my NES hooked up, so this should work great for me.

I absolutely will get one of these things. However, regardless on what others are saying this system is one of the ugliest systems I have seen in my life.

They could have done a better job on the externals, certainly. To be fair, the thing looks miles better than the Retron 3, so it's possible that people are giving it a free pass based on comparison. For a familclone, it's appearance isn't bad. That's not saying much, as famiclones pretty much always look like ass next to the system's they are based off of.

I'm actually rather pleased by the appearance of the controller. I'm hoping the ergonomics are good. While I wouldn't mind falling back on the original controllers, it would be great to have a capable bluetooth wireless controller for this thing.

I have tons of carts, Just wished roms could be uploaded through the sd card slot. The option would be nice, maybe because of legal issues. 

I absolutely will get one of these things. However, regardless on what others are saying this system is one of the ugliest systems I have seen in my life.
I have to agree that the aesthetics below the cartridge slots are... interesting. The edges and tapering remind me of the kind of styrofoam trays used to package certain kinds of ramen. :D

In this regard, the black one is nicer because it will blend in with my darker entertainment center. I did pick the grey and purple one because it was a nice Super NES (North American) callout.

The controller is interesting, and I'm curious to find out how well it responds and feels. The shoulder buttons don't look promising, but if the d-pad is anything like the Neo Geo Pocket system (of which I own several - love that little system) then we're in great shape.

It looks like unlike the older products, it's going to follow the trend of Android based set top boxes except that it plays real carts, especially considering it does have a menu. They also built in an SD Card slot, but it's for saving games when the battery just won't do.

I'm going to be interested to see how far this thing will go.
I am actually excited about it used to boot homebrew games... Zelda Parallel Worlds!

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on:

"Hyperkin RetroN 5 Retro Gaming System - Black"
    Estimated arrival date: November 04, 2013

I don't even know where to find a HuCard in my area. I've never seen a TurboGrafx or PC Engine in the plastic.
I'm very fortunate. There's a privately owned and operated chain of used game stores in my area that specializes in carrying the really old stuff. (Fallout Games) I was able to acquire an original TurboGrafx and several games there. But yes, HuCards are few and far between. They're much harder to find than most other older titles. TurboGrafx CD games are also hard to come by, but much easier to play. The original TurboGrafx CD had no copy protection built-in, so burned discs run on it just fine.

On the rights, Nintendo and Sega have been selling/sold the rights to the older systems for a long time now for other people to make thier older systems.

The official Genesis 3 with genuine hardware was a Majesco build (Mexico based.) I also remember around 2005-2006 when I was working in the industry there were chinese made officially licensed SNES items/controllers coming out. They were pretty good quality too.

There's always a market for old stuff like this but it's not neccesarily worth the big companies time and energy to focus on, and they don't have a pipeline, so they license it. (particulary to poor countries, like Brasil)

On the rights, Nintendo and Sega have been selling/sold the rights to the older systems for a long time now for other people to make thier older systems.
Nintendo and Sega never sold their rights. There's some legal workaround wherein if a company doesn't produce the console for X number of years and if the duplicate is at least 20% different (I have no idea how they quantify that), it's harder to enforce those rights unless the clones where 100% exact replications of the originals.

None of the clone systems are technically legal but at the same time, it's unlikely either Nintendo or Sega would spend resources trying to sue clone makers.

how exactly is this allowed to be made? It seems like it would slaughter nintendo and sega whoring out their history in "virtual console" and "collections" every year.
Easy. Nintendo and Sega didn't renew the copyrights for the old hardware.

Now here's hoping that the disc era gets a dedicated emulator too. PS1, Dreamcast, Sega CD, Sega Saturn, 3DO....

Easy. Nintendo and Sega didn't renew the copyrights for the old hardware.
On an international scene, there is a bit more variety in the way these laws work.

In the U.S., its actually fairly straightforward. Technology patents don't last forever. And once they expire, it's fair game as far as production is concerned. The patents for the US versions of the NES, SNES, and Genesis have all expired. I'm not quite as certain about the GBA, but it wouldn't surprise me if that had expired by now as well. The Famicom and Super Famicom support is quite a bit more murky, as those products were never patented or distributed in the U.S.

Hardware cannot be copyrighted in the U.S., only patented. As long as the patent has expired, it is legal for another company to produce their own version of that hardware. These laws were put into place to encourage research and development, while still allowing competition to occur further down the line. Patents can also NOT be renewed. (while copyrights can) There is a hard time limit on hardware patents. This is part of the reason why the home console market has been so cyclical, and why console manufacturers re-design their systems every three-to-four years, even if they are still riding the same basic hardware platform. A new version of the XBox 360 that has been altered enough can qualify for a new patent. This is also why it's so important for console makers to "own the silicon" in their machines.

I also would love to see a 32-bit era optical clone. The biggest challenge would be the Saturn support. That thing was an architectural nightmare, and even modern emulation for it is extremely spotty. A device that could play PS1, Dreamcast, Sega CD, 3DO, NeoGeo CD, and possibly TurboGrafx CD would be awesome.

its for people with money to waste, and do not want to clutter their tv with 15 different consoles
i dont know if i have money to waste....but i am that person with the 15 different console problem. A system like this would allow me to unhook my systems and clean up the wires and just have them out for display..having them all in one is a god send. I am a retro game collector so this system is perfect for me. I may wait though with the ps4 launch looming i would would to have all my pennies saved for that..

I have the old systems but they all look horrible on the new flat screen TVs. I think I will be getting a grey one to play the gba games on a big screen.
Has anyone played these yet? Is it a good feel or have a slight lag like the nex seemed to have.

I want this just because i can play my portable games on the big screen.  But i'm going to holdoff until i see some reviews on it first before i put down my money.

bread's done
Back