Drclaw411

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
CURRENT DEALS:

$129.99 with free shipping at ThinkGeek

Important Information
​Warranty registration - http://www.retron5.com/warrantyregistration_/
Patch Notes / How to Update (Last update 6/10/2014) - http://retron5.in/?src=98f13708210194c475687be6106a3b84

I've included the text from the pre-order era of this OP in spoilers for reference.
UPDATE 5/27/14: It's real this time. Hyperkin's June 6 release date is happening. Many mom and pop stores that have received their units have started selling them already, and many people who have ordered from Amazon (myself included) are reporting getting emails from Amazon notifying them that their orders qualify for release day delivery and are updating estimated delivery status to June 6th, no longer showing the "we need more time" placeholder. It's worth noting that so far only people who have ordered the grey unit from Amazon are receiving order updates (which coincides with Hyperkin reporting on their facebook page that they had shipped Amazon's grey preorder units, but Amazon had yet to place an order for the black units). All consoles that have been shown off online by reviewers, people who have been able to buy them before the street date, or Hyperkin themselves have all been grey consoles to this point. No word on black consoles. Another note: Chris Gallizzi of Hyperkin responded to an inquiry about Newegg orders by saying that he is not aware of any issues with Newegg's preorders, and they should be good to go for the launch.

UPDATE 5/22/14: Just one day after IGN and Polygon reported that Hyperkin would begin shipping units to retailers on May 22 (today as of this writing), Hyperkin essentially confirmed that. They have announced that the launch date for the long overdue RetroN 5 is June 6th, 2014. In a much quieter fashion (just by responding to a random person's comment) they confirmed this would be for North America only and that the console would launch in the UK in September. There is also one more small hitch. The rumor that the first batch of units would be only for mom/pop B&M retailers and that NO units from this batch would go to Amazon or Newegg has been gaining some serious steam. While Hyperkin has been responding to a decent amount of comments on their facebook page from excited fans, they continue to ignore questions about when Amazon orders will ship. So it seems those of us who preordered on Amazon still don't have a solid release date. Fulfillment could happen any time between June 6th through September or beyond.

UPDATE 5/21/14: IGN today reported that the RetroN 5 would begin shipping out on May 22 (tomorrow, as of this writing)! This coincides with Chris Gazzilli, Hyperkin's project manager, posting a picture on his facebook page of a massive shipping container full of RetroN 5 units. Ladies and Gentlemen, it seems hell may have just frozen over.

UPDATE 5/13/14: Hyperkin has listed the RetroN 5, and it's controllers, on their company wholesale store for authorized retailers to buy. The console (both colors) and controllers (both colors) are listed as sold out. I'm not sure if they were in stock and sold out quickly, or if they haven't been made available yet. Regardless, it's good news that the system is listed for the first time ever. Additionally, reviewers such as GameSpot and several youtube reviewers have received their review units, which appear to be retail units. The RetroN 5 seems to finally be around the corner. We'll see, but things look promising right now. One thing to note: the listing for the console on Hyperkin's wholesale page indicates that each wholesale box contains six units. If this is the case, it would seem to debunk the previous report of the console being shipped in quantities of four per retailer.

UPDATE 4/25/14: While this hasn't technically been confirmed by Hyperkin, I take it as fact. It's worth remembering that NOTHING has been officially confirmed by Hyperkin. Hyperkin has remained silent until unofficially confirming almost all known info in random interviews with various youtubers and forum members. Therefor, again, I take this as fact:

I spoke to Hyperkin today.

Here are the "unofficial" details.

The "end of May" release is a "soft" release. Meaning they really are waiting for the next batch due in the summer for the official real release. Amazon is NOT getting any of the units released at the end of May. Each retailer is only getting 4 units. Retail on the unit is $139.99 and $39.99 for the additional controller. The reasons for the price increase are both cosmetic and technical but if it works as it should then it should be a great retro system.

Our 4 are already taken with pre-orders. If you know any stores locally that are getting units, and you want one for end of May, then i suggest you contact them and put money down. Keep in mind that each store is getting 4 units only for the soft launch.
UPDATE 4/17/14: Hyperkin has increased the price of the RetroN 5, saying "north of $100, between $129.99 and $149.99". Alll pre-orders from Amazon should be honored via their pre-order price guarantee. I believe Newegg has the same guarantee, I am not sure about Stone Age Gamer or 8 Bit Classics. Think Geek still hasn't opened pre-orders on the unit, instead offering a link to be signed up for email notifications as to when it will be available. Also on the Amazon front, they have sold out or pre-orders. Furthermore, it is more likely you'll learn the ETA from Amazon, Newegg, or whoever you ordered it from. Hyperkin has gone on record of saying they will never again announce a hard release date for anything.

UPDATE 4/12/14: After Hyperkin denied the console was delayed again and vigoruosuly shoved the month of April up everyone's ass for half a year, today they delayed the vaporware console yet again. At the Midwest Gaming Classic, they did their annual presentation. They ignored the planned April 2014 release, but finally somebody in the crowd asked about it. The Hyperkin rep said it was releasing in "30 days, guaranteed". This is not the first time they used the word "guaranteed", last time was about April so this doesn't mean jack shit. So maybe it'll randomly show up at people's houses at the end of may, maybe it wont, and maybe my ass will fly out of my ass.

Retron 5 Delay History:
-Summer 2013 (which they continued to say after summer was over, claiming they meant "Indian Summer" or "California Summer"....i'm not making this up)
-December 10 2013
-Quarter 1 2014
-Quarter 2 2014
-First two weeks of April
-April 2014, guaranteed
-Gauranteed within 30-40 days of April 12, 2014
-June 6 2014

DELAYED. ANY UPDATES FROM HYPERKIN WILL COME ON THEIR FACEBOOK PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/HyperkinGames

UPDATE: In a recent interview, Hyperkin confirmed that the initial batch of units WILL NOT BE ENOUGH to meet day ome demand. Also confirmed was the ability for the system to act as a multitap. Example: in a four player SNES game, two players could use snes controlles, one player could use the retron controller, and one player could use a genesis controller. Interview can be found here.

Pre-order at Amazon (SOLD OUT)
Pre-order at Newegg: Black (SOLD OUT) or Grey (SOLD OUT)
Pre-order at Stone Age Gamer (DUE TO HIGH DEMAND, RELEASE DAY DELIVERY NOT PROMISED)
Pre-order at 8 Bit Classics (DUE TO HIGH DEMAND, RELEASE DAY DELIVERY NOT PROMISED)

UPDATE: Hyperkin claims that they opened up some packaged retail units and discovered some units had faulty pins. because of this, the Retron 5 has been delayed. No new release date has been announced, although Hyperkin has stated the unit will release in 2014 and that they are aiming for Q1. This is the Retron 5's third delay.

EDIT: Preorders are sold out at Amazon and Newegg.

Retron5 pre-orders have finally (about damn time) opened.

For those of you who have been following this console, you know it's quite highly anticipated and looks to be far better than any clone system released before.

For those unfamiliar, here's a little info:

• It's one system that plays games for the following systems: NES, SNES, Genesis, Mega Drive, Famicom, Super Famicom, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance.
  • Two controller ports for each console will be built in with the system. It will also come with one wireless universal controller.
  • Outputs in HDMI and upscales for HDTVs. Early impressions and videos of this have been extremley postive. From the website: "The RetroN 5 will up convert the video signal to show clearer and cleaner images, with vibrant colors on an HDTV with a resolution output of up to 720p through the use of shaders. You will also be able to select the aspect ratio in our GUI, from the standard 4:3 to the HD ratio of 16:9."
  • Features a user interface (dashboard. Somewhat similar of the PS3 interface in appearance, in my opinion).
  • Features save states. From the website: "Most games did not allow for you to freely save your games. The RetroN 5 will allow you to save their games at any point during gameplay, and will feature an autosave feature upon shutdown. You will be able to load your saves at anytime during gameplay."
  • Button reassignment supported. From the website: "Users will be able to program the controller to assign buttons to their preference. In turn, the RetroN 5 will save these custom layouts, so that users will not have to constantly reconfigure the button configuration. This feature will also be available to people wanting to remap their buttons on their original controllers."
  • 100% game cartridge compatibility, without lag.
  • Sega Power Base Converter compatible, allowing Sega Master System games to be played.
More information is here. It may be a bit dated since this was from back when they first announced the console, but I figured it was the best site to link since it also featured some screenshots as well. http://hyperkin.com/blog/2013/03/retron-5-details-revealed-from-the-midwest-gaming-classic/ There is also plenty of info on Hyperkin's facebook page.

I've been looking forward to this for a long time, and i'm extremley excited that pre-orders are finally open. For one console that not only plays all of these console's games, but upscales them and features save states (either to the cartridge (if supported) or the console itself)...this seems like a great deal. And if you've been following the hype for the console, there is a good chance it could end up selling out. Hyperkin isn't a huge company and this thing has a TON of pre-release demand (just check out the comments on the facebook page). I like the look of the black one a bit better, because it seems to be the traditional console color nowadays. But I opted for the grey model because the black console and controller seem like they'd be fingerprint magnets.

Preorder either color here at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-RetroN-Gaming-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B00DZIX3CQ/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1378958043&sr=8-13&keywords=retron+5 or here at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=retron%205&N=-1&isNodeId=1&RandomID=65244712392254220130925161655

Here are pictures of the two consoles, since the pictures on Amazon aren't that great:

Grey:
Retron-5.jpg

Black:
e3_retron5_03550.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I give two dumps about Master System support. But then, I do acknowledge that I am a bit off the beaten path. I already own an original Master System, and I actually have a Power Base converter as well. It isn't all that important to me, especially given all the other systems available on the Retron 5. But I am still glad they are peripherally providing support for it. Like most systems from that time period, the original Master System does not look good on HD screens.

While I have a few Master System games already, I mainly want to get a copy of Phantasy Star 1. I'm collecting all of the original Phantasy Star games, and the first in the series is one of the only ones I don't have.
Well I'm glad there are a small handful of people who are interested. (all 3 of you ;) :razz: ) But most retro collectors ignore the system unless they grew up with it or are completionsts. My comment was mostly to guage how many of those people were out there and why there was so much fuss over a system most people had ever played, let alone owned back in the day.

Similar to people having fits about TG16 or Neo Geo support (yeah that's gonna happen, the Neo collector communuity would be up in arms since that'd make more competition for limited carts out there and make the prices even more crazy then they already are) The retron 5 plays 9 systems, I'm sure they could do more, but there has to be somewhere to draw that line (meaning 2600, Intellivision, etc) and leave those games where they belong, in the closet collecting dust.

And since I own the PS2 remake and have Phantasy Star 1 on the PS3 collection, that takes most if any (and all) interest I'd have in the power base converter. Even when I bought my genesis originally at launch, I considered getting one, but never did, since I couldn't see a reason (outside of Shinobi) that I'd want it. So again, while I might have worded it harshly, I'd still like to know overall how many people would actually bother playing SMS games on this thing, considering how vocal people have been with getting Hyperkin to support the blasted thing.

SMS was the second system I own as a kid after my famicom died. It came with Alex Kid, which are kind fun, and I brought a few games for it. Only remember Time Soldiers being kinda pretty decent. Then I got sick of it and sold it to someone for $20 and brought myself a first generation Mega Drive (genesis). With likes of Phantasy Star II and Rings of Power, I never looked back at the SMS. 

You can still get to the gray one on Newegg from the link in the OP, it still works. I'm sure you'll be able to get it after release at some point if you need to, I'm sure Hyperkin would love the money.

weird. If you search for retron 5 on newegg only the black shows up but it does seem the op post takes you to the grey one.

I guess ill try to put a preorder in at newegg just in case but i really hope amazon puts it back up. I think Newegg charges shipping

But most retro collectors ignore the system unless they grew up with it or are completionsts. My comment was mostly to guage how many of those people were out there and why there was so much fuss over a system most people had ever played, let alone owned back in the day.
That's all very true. But I do actually have an answer for that. The international market for the Sega Master System is huge. South America in particular saw enormous support for the Master System for a very long time. And Hyperkin has gone out of their way to position the Retron 5 as an international-friendly product. (shipping it with all the necessary plug standards was a very smart move) They are expecting this thing to sell across the globe. The concession for the Power Base Converter was likely to make the device more appealing to classic gamers in South America.

blargh i still cant decide. My fears are it wont play ALL games, or won't STAY working for long. This would help me with a lot of space since I can remove 3 or 4 systems from my TV and, as others said, they dont look very good on a 40 inch LCD HD tv but $100?  I dunno. With all the stuff coming out between now and 2014, I just dont know.

My retron3 still works great for the games it did work with, but the controller was ass.  I used the regular system controllers though and it did fine.

Just per-ordered the gray from Newegg.  I actually read their terms and conditions before hitting submit. For those wondering, their preorder policy mirrors Amazon's.  No charges to the credit card until item ships.  Plus no tax and free shipping options, I live in OH.

Anyway, if this thing works as advertised, I'm just as excited about this as I am the Xbox1 or PS4.  I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's true.  Being able to fire up my old Flashback or Mutant League Football carts on an HD setup should really be interesting, and hopefully alot of fun.

I can't believe I had the black system pre-ordered with Amazon credit and cancelled it.  I've got a stack of NES and Genesis games sitting collecting dust.  I've got enough of a backlog though, I know I'd go crazy with the retro games.  :whee:

Just per-ordered the gray from Newegg. I actually read their terms and conditions before hitting submit. For those wondering, their preorder policy mirrors Amazon's. No charges to the credit card until item ships. Plus no tax and free shipping options, I live in OH.

Anyway, if this thing works as advertised, I'm just as excited about this as I am the Xbox1 or PS4. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's true. Being able to fire up my old Flashback or Mutant League Football carts on an HD setup should really be interesting, and hopefully alot of fun.
Oh really? Newegg doesn't charge credit/debit cards till an item ships? Gah I wish I would have known that sooner haha. I've been put off by any other site but amazon for pre ordering because they charge up front. Do they put a temporary hold on the funds and remove it? Or is it exactly like amazon? Just a little hesitant to try myself since I'm not ready to remove 100 from my account just yet, but I'd love to pre order.

Been interested one of these for awhile. Nice to see that they added GB support. Maybe BestBuy will carry retron5 too. 

Don't count on Disc Replay selling these. The guy at the Crest Hill store told me that they contacted Hyperkin about it and they were told that Hyperkin has completely allocated their entire first two production runs already. That makes me wonder if Newegg and Amazon are the lone distributors.

Gah. I really want to get one of these... but I don't actually have any cartridges that will work with it aside from GB/GBC/GBA. Though those would cool on TV. Super Mario Land 2 for the win! And I have this idea that I'm going to be searching yard sales for cheap carts. :) Maybe I'll put in a pre-order at newegg. Hmm.

I wish it supported N64 too.

shit no more black at newegg either anymore Amazons out and blacks out at newegg. I guess i'll just put an order in for the grey one at newegg for now and see if amazon restocks. 

by the way this only comes with 1 controller right? How do you get a 2nd?

Don't count on Disc Replay selling these. The guy at the Crest Hill store told me that they contacted Hyperkin about it and they were told that Hyperkin has completely allocated their entire first two production runs already. That makes me wonder if Newegg and Amazon are the lone distributors.
Stoneage Gamer has them as well.

Oh really? Newegg doesn't charge credit/debit cards till an item ships? Gah I wish I would have known that sooner haha. I've been put off by any other site but amazon for pre ordering because they charge up front. Do they put a temporary hold on the funds and remove it? Or is it exactly like amazon? Just a little hesitant to try myself since I'm not ready to remove 100 from my account just yet, but I'd love to pre order.
It's exactly like Amazon. No hold/charge until it ships and you can cancel at anytime.

by the way this only comes with 1 controller right? How do you get a 2nd?
Only one. I'd imagine you would be able buy a second one from Hyperkin directly, but I'd highly suggest that you just grab the actual controllers for each console. Amazon Marketplace/eBay have several available that you can buy.

It suck about the pre-order. Might be a useful all in one system for old games. I'm starting to buy Famicom and NES games lately. Looking for something that can take most old games. Still have some old games when I was little.

It suck about the pre-order. Might be a useful all in one system for old games. I'm starting to buy Famicom and NES games lately. Looking for something that can take most old games. Still have some old games when I was little.
May as well just wait for reviews. If it's as good as they say they'll be making these like crazy after release.

Personally, I hope something like this takes off. Really I don't even see the need for the portable systems, due to the very small resolutions it's being enlarged to on the TV. But an NES/SNES/Genesis good clone system? It's a must these days.

It's crazy to think at the age of the original systems now. And makes me feel old as well lol (I'll turn 30 next month.) I remember starting with an NES as a kid, and these things out there are as old as me! Granted that's probably a lot of closets sitting in, well preserved, but 30 year old electronics aren't going to last forever. Cords fray, buttons wear, things decay. Cartridges will likely last for a few centuries, as long as you change the battery save inside it every decade or so. :p

Someone needs to get on the ball trying to preserve the past as well as possible. I know emulation has been around forever, and that's fine, but hardware wise, someone needs to get on the ball and get some accurate clones out! Even if that means Nintendo and Sega selling some architecture licensing to clone companies for a small cost so they can put together some accurate architecture.

Everyone's does. Either Amazon oversold, or Hyperkin is fulfilling Newegg's orders first.
I been debating for a while on which pre order to cancel. I got a gray pre ordered on Amazon and a black pre ordered on Newegg. Hyperkin claims it will be released on December 10th, but Newegg & Amazon say "2014" (Before Newegg sold out, I believe they still said the release date was 2014). I want the black one the most, but then we have no idea which store Hyperkin will fulfill first. Both? Newegg? Amazon? I'm tempted to tweet them but then I got a feeling that I'm not the only one asking these questions.

If anyone wants these on day one, I recommend checking your FYE.  I have heard each store is getting 10.  I'm fairly certain Amazon will get priority over Newegg.  

I also recommend checking your local independent game stores that do regular business with Hyperkin, as they should be able to get some from one of the first two batches if they have already contact Hyperkin about getting them.

The second batch is set to go out three weeks after the first.

Smaller websites Stone Age Gamer and 8 Bit Classics are still taking pre-orders. OP updated. Hyperkin has never had a product with so much demand before. I hope they can meet it.

Slightly OT, but I just found out that RETRO Magazine kickstarter met it's goal and has a little over a day left and is starting to hit it's stretch goals. Seems like a good time to get into some old school games.

I'd rather just build an arcade cabinet and take apart some of my old consoles and build the boards, cartridge slots etc. into the cabinet. It's cheaper, turns it into one unit, plus I get a miniature arcade stand. Well, I mean, if I cared enough I would. I don't think I've played one of my older games in a few years... Anyway, that is one ugly console.

I'd rather just build an arcade cabinet and take apart some of my old consoles and build the boards, cartridge slots etc. into the cabinet. It's cheaper, turns it into one unit, plus I get a miniature arcade stand. Well, I mean, if I cared enough I would. I don't think I've played one of my older games in a few years... Anyway, that is one ugly console.
Cheaper? I take it you aren't factoring time spent working into that equation.

Haha, time is free, that's rich.  Plus factoring in material cost to make the cabinet, and not make it look like ass, including paint decals etc, tools and consumables to make it, there is no way it would be cheaper than 100 bucks.  But then again, this is Peter were talking about here.  He would only buy one if they made 10 and he could resell it for 1,000.

I've always wanted to make a MAME machine it would be pretty cool. I don't see how a homemade multi-console machine could be made though without it being goofy or cumbersome that would be any better than a clone machine if you wanted to use cartridges. Who's going to stand up to play Link to the Past on a cabinet all the time anyway?

I have quite a few retro shops by me.  About 8 within good distance.  Farthest is a 30 minute drive.  I went to one yesterday and some of their prices are good when compared to what they sell for on ebay.  I bought 5 games for $9 (fun games to me when I was a kid).  Some for NES, and a few for Sega..  Then we were about to check out and my wife said "Why is that game all black when the others are all gray."  This was in reference to the SNES games.  I had her show me, it was Killer Instinct for $12.  Ebay it for for slightly more and Estarland.com is roughly $20 so I snagged it.  Couldnt pass that up.

Also, how are some of these 3rd part/generic NES/SNES controllers?

Lastly, are the GB, GBC, and GBA games controllable with the Sega, NES, SNES controllers or do they have to be controlled with the retron 5 controller?   If so Ill need a second controller.

I have quite a few retro shops by me. About 8 within good distance. Farthest is a 30 minute drive. I went to one yesterday and some of their prices are good when compared to what they sell for on ebay. I bought 5 games for $9 (fun games to me when I was a kid). Some for NES, and a few for Sega.. Then we were about to check out and my wife said "Why is that game all black when the others are all gray." This was in reference to the SNES games. I had her show me, it was Killer Instinct for $12. Ebay it for for slightly more and Estarland.com is roughly $20 so I snagged it. Couldnt pass that up.

Also, how are some of these 3rd part/generic NES/SNES controllers?

Lastly, are the GB, GBC, and GBA games controllable with the Sega, NES, SNES controllers or do they have to be controlled with the retron 5 controller? If so Ill need a second controller.
Hyperkin said that any system can be controlled with any controller.

Who's going to stand up to play Link to the Past on a cabinet all the time anyway?
A good compromise would be putting together a smaller unit that could fit comfortably on a tabletop.

I love designing and building arcades. But I do agree that assembling even a small custom console would be quite expensive, certainly more than $100. The raw materials alone would probably cost no less than $200. I couldn't get the joysticks and buttons for less than about $60, and then there is the particle board, paint, and molding to consider. The time cost would also be very high. A properly done effort would take no less than 20 hours from design to full construction. With my approach that could easily stretch out to 40 hours.

While I wouldn't want to dissuade anyone from making their own custom arcade, it definitely would not be cheaper than a pre-built $100 console. And it wouldn't properly solve the video output issue without software emulation. (which would negate the use of original cartridges)

I just don't get people saying $100 is too expensive for this. I just can't imagine finding all 9 playable consoles at just over $10 each. Not to mention that those don't upscale, so you're also looking to buy a crtv. And save states CANNOT be overlooked. With the retron5, I'll never again have to wonder if a game I'm buying has a dead battery as that no longer matters. I can save my games with the 5's save states.

So yeah...finding 9 consoles + crtv + games with 100% working save batteries would absolutely cost significantly more than $100.

Haha, time is free, that's rich. Plus factoring in material cost to make the cabinet, and not make it look like ass, including paint decals etc, tools and consumables to make it, there is no way it would be cheaper than 100 bucks. But then again, this is Peter were talking about here. He would only buy one if they made 10 and he could resell it for 1,000.
Everyone here needs to stop picking on Peter. His arcade cabinet looks great, he even sent me an image of it completely finished.

2135680117527942f98ec96.jpg

Hyperkin said that any system can be controlled with any controller.
That's news to me. Guess I'll probably stick to something like my 6 button Genesis controller. When I finally get mine, I'll probably buy a second hand SNES controller since I got generic ones a few years ago.

That's news to me. Guess I'll probably stick to something like my 6 button Genesis controller. When I finally get mine, I'll probably buy a second hand SNES controller since I got generic ones a few years ago.
Yes. Because of the emulation direction that Hyperkin opted to go in with the firmware, it is going to be possible to re-map the controls for every game. You will be able to use whatever controller you want, with whatever game you want, with whatever mapping you want. A SNES controller with a Genesis game and custom mapping? No problem.

It's a little unfortunate that the Retron 5 is not going to support the Saturn. The 2nd-gen controller for the Saturn is still considered the gold standard for fighting game controllers. It is nice that it will have full Genesis support though. The cable standard for the Genesis was extremely open and easy to wire for. Cooking up a custom arcade stick for the Retron 5 will be quite easy with that wiring scheme.

You must remember though, that Saturn emulation is ridiculously complex. And it is still a problem on the highest end computers

You must remember though, that Saturn emulation is ridiculously complex. And it is still a problem on the highest end computers
I am familiar. We may never see a proper Saturn clone. I only mentioned it because of the known status of the Saturn controller, and the fact that the Saturn was the first Sega console to have a different controller connector. The Master System and Genesis both used the same joystick ports that were common on most computers of the time. It made them very flexible. The ergonomics of the 2nd generation Saturn controller were exceptional. But the Saturn-specific controller connection has kept its controllers restricted to its bizarre hardware configuration. Such a pity.

bread's done
Back