Drclaw411

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
CURRENT DEALS:

$129.99 with free shipping at ThinkGeek

Important Information
​Warranty registration - http://www.retron5.com/warrantyregistration_/
Patch Notes / How to Update (Last update 6/10/2014) - http://retron5.in/?src=98f13708210194c475687be6106a3b84

I've included the text from the pre-order era of this OP in spoilers for reference.
UPDATE 5/27/14: It's real this time. Hyperkin's June 6 release date is happening. Many mom and pop stores that have received their units have started selling them already, and many people who have ordered from Amazon (myself included) are reporting getting emails from Amazon notifying them that their orders qualify for release day delivery and are updating estimated delivery status to June 6th, no longer showing the "we need more time" placeholder. It's worth noting that so far only people who have ordered the grey unit from Amazon are receiving order updates (which coincides with Hyperkin reporting on their facebook page that they had shipped Amazon's grey preorder units, but Amazon had yet to place an order for the black units). All consoles that have been shown off online by reviewers, people who have been able to buy them before the street date, or Hyperkin themselves have all been grey consoles to this point. No word on black consoles. Another note: Chris Gallizzi of Hyperkin responded to an inquiry about Newegg orders by saying that he is not aware of any issues with Newegg's preorders, and they should be good to go for the launch.

UPDATE 5/22/14: Just one day after IGN and Polygon reported that Hyperkin would begin shipping units to retailers on May 22 (today as of this writing), Hyperkin essentially confirmed that. They have announced that the launch date for the long overdue RetroN 5 is June 6th, 2014. In a much quieter fashion (just by responding to a random person's comment) they confirmed this would be for North America only and that the console would launch in the UK in September. There is also one more small hitch. The rumor that the first batch of units would be only for mom/pop B&M retailers and that NO units from this batch would go to Amazon or Newegg has been gaining some serious steam. While Hyperkin has been responding to a decent amount of comments on their facebook page from excited fans, they continue to ignore questions about when Amazon orders will ship. So it seems those of us who preordered on Amazon still don't have a solid release date. Fulfillment could happen any time between June 6th through September or beyond.

UPDATE 5/21/14: IGN today reported that the RetroN 5 would begin shipping out on May 22 (tomorrow, as of this writing)! This coincides with Chris Gazzilli, Hyperkin's project manager, posting a picture on his facebook page of a massive shipping container full of RetroN 5 units. Ladies and Gentlemen, it seems hell may have just frozen over.

UPDATE 5/13/14: Hyperkin has listed the RetroN 5, and it's controllers, on their company wholesale store for authorized retailers to buy. The console (both colors) and controllers (both colors) are listed as sold out. I'm not sure if they were in stock and sold out quickly, or if they haven't been made available yet. Regardless, it's good news that the system is listed for the first time ever. Additionally, reviewers such as GameSpot and several youtube reviewers have received their review units, which appear to be retail units. The RetroN 5 seems to finally be around the corner. We'll see, but things look promising right now. One thing to note: the listing for the console on Hyperkin's wholesale page indicates that each wholesale box contains six units. If this is the case, it would seem to debunk the previous report of the console being shipped in quantities of four per retailer.

UPDATE 4/25/14: While this hasn't technically been confirmed by Hyperkin, I take it as fact. It's worth remembering that NOTHING has been officially confirmed by Hyperkin. Hyperkin has remained silent until unofficially confirming almost all known info in random interviews with various youtubers and forum members. Therefor, again, I take this as fact:

I spoke to Hyperkin today.

Here are the "unofficial" details.

The "end of May" release is a "soft" release. Meaning they really are waiting for the next batch due in the summer for the official real release. Amazon is NOT getting any of the units released at the end of May. Each retailer is only getting 4 units. Retail on the unit is $139.99 and $39.99 for the additional controller. The reasons for the price increase are both cosmetic and technical but if it works as it should then it should be a great retro system.

Our 4 are already taken with pre-orders. If you know any stores locally that are getting units, and you want one for end of May, then i suggest you contact them and put money down. Keep in mind that each store is getting 4 units only for the soft launch.
UPDATE 4/17/14: Hyperkin has increased the price of the RetroN 5, saying "north of $100, between $129.99 and $149.99". Alll pre-orders from Amazon should be honored via their pre-order price guarantee. I believe Newegg has the same guarantee, I am not sure about Stone Age Gamer or 8 Bit Classics. Think Geek still hasn't opened pre-orders on the unit, instead offering a link to be signed up for email notifications as to when it will be available. Also on the Amazon front, they have sold out or pre-orders. Furthermore, it is more likely you'll learn the ETA from Amazon, Newegg, or whoever you ordered it from. Hyperkin has gone on record of saying they will never again announce a hard release date for anything.

UPDATE 4/12/14: After Hyperkin denied the console was delayed again and vigoruosuly shoved the month of April up everyone's ass for half a year, today they delayed the vaporware console yet again. At the Midwest Gaming Classic, they did their annual presentation. They ignored the planned April 2014 release, but finally somebody in the crowd asked about it. The Hyperkin rep said it was releasing in "30 days, guaranteed". This is not the first time they used the word "guaranteed", last time was about April so this doesn't mean jack shit. So maybe it'll randomly show up at people's houses at the end of may, maybe it wont, and maybe my ass will fly out of my ass.

Retron 5 Delay History:
-Summer 2013 (which they continued to say after summer was over, claiming they meant "Indian Summer" or "California Summer"....i'm not making this up)
-December 10 2013
-Quarter 1 2014
-Quarter 2 2014
-First two weeks of April
-April 2014, guaranteed
-Gauranteed within 30-40 days of April 12, 2014
-June 6 2014

DELAYED. ANY UPDATES FROM HYPERKIN WILL COME ON THEIR FACEBOOK PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/HyperkinGames

UPDATE: In a recent interview, Hyperkin confirmed that the initial batch of units WILL NOT BE ENOUGH to meet day ome demand. Also confirmed was the ability for the system to act as a multitap. Example: in a four player SNES game, two players could use snes controlles, one player could use the retron controller, and one player could use a genesis controller. Interview can be found here.

Pre-order at Amazon (SOLD OUT)
Pre-order at Newegg: Black (SOLD OUT) or Grey (SOLD OUT)
Pre-order at Stone Age Gamer (DUE TO HIGH DEMAND, RELEASE DAY DELIVERY NOT PROMISED)
Pre-order at 8 Bit Classics (DUE TO HIGH DEMAND, RELEASE DAY DELIVERY NOT PROMISED)

UPDATE: Hyperkin claims that they opened up some packaged retail units and discovered some units had faulty pins. because of this, the Retron 5 has been delayed. No new release date has been announced, although Hyperkin has stated the unit will release in 2014 and that they are aiming for Q1. This is the Retron 5's third delay.

EDIT: Preorders are sold out at Amazon and Newegg.

Retron5 pre-orders have finally (about damn time) opened.

For those of you who have been following this console, you know it's quite highly anticipated and looks to be far better than any clone system released before.

For those unfamiliar, here's a little info:

• It's one system that plays games for the following systems: NES, SNES, Genesis, Mega Drive, Famicom, Super Famicom, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance.
  • Two controller ports for each console will be built in with the system. It will also come with one wireless universal controller.
  • Outputs in HDMI and upscales for HDTVs. Early impressions and videos of this have been extremley postive. From the website: "The RetroN 5 will up convert the video signal to show clearer and cleaner images, with vibrant colors on an HDTV with a resolution output of up to 720p through the use of shaders. You will also be able to select the aspect ratio in our GUI, from the standard 4:3 to the HD ratio of 16:9."
  • Features a user interface (dashboard. Somewhat similar of the PS3 interface in appearance, in my opinion).
  • Features save states. From the website: "Most games did not allow for you to freely save your games. The RetroN 5 will allow you to save their games at any point during gameplay, and will feature an autosave feature upon shutdown. You will be able to load your saves at anytime during gameplay."
  • Button reassignment supported. From the website: "Users will be able to program the controller to assign buttons to their preference. In turn, the RetroN 5 will save these custom layouts, so that users will not have to constantly reconfigure the button configuration. This feature will also be available to people wanting to remap their buttons on their original controllers."
  • 100% game cartridge compatibility, without lag.
  • Sega Power Base Converter compatible, allowing Sega Master System games to be played.
More information is here. It may be a bit dated since this was from back when they first announced the console, but I figured it was the best site to link since it also featured some screenshots as well. http://hyperkin.com/blog/2013/03/retron-5-details-revealed-from-the-midwest-gaming-classic/ There is also plenty of info on Hyperkin's facebook page.

I've been looking forward to this for a long time, and i'm extremley excited that pre-orders are finally open. For one console that not only plays all of these console's games, but upscales them and features save states (either to the cartridge (if supported) or the console itself)...this seems like a great deal. And if you've been following the hype for the console, there is a good chance it could end up selling out. Hyperkin isn't a huge company and this thing has a TON of pre-release demand (just check out the comments on the facebook page). I like the look of the black one a bit better, because it seems to be the traditional console color nowadays. But I opted for the grey model because the black console and controller seem like they'd be fingerprint magnets.

Preorder either color here at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-RetroN-Gaming-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B00DZIX3CQ/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1378958043&sr=8-13&keywords=retron+5 or here at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=retron%205&N=-1&isNodeId=1&RandomID=65244712392254220130925161655

Here are pictures of the two consoles, since the pictures on Amazon aren't that great:

Grey:
Retron-5.jpg

Black:
e3_retron5_03550.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tried it and it didn't work. I don't understand this at all. Will a light come on if it's on?
Strange, you do have to hold the power button at least 5 to 10 sec and it will light up. Could be the power adapter. I would make sure that the head socket on the power plug is connected firmly. Maybe?

I would also second the power adapter. The store I work for sold Retron 3 units and TONS of those had bad power adapters that once swapped with some generic one the units would power up. I'd check to see if you have anything that might fit the unit and check that. 

Such a great idea foiled by cheap Chinese manufacturing.

When it works it's nearly spectacular. A childhood dream realized.

But you have to wade through a few consoles to get one that actually works and I doubt they will last longer than a year or 2. I hope I'm wrong cause I love this machine.

I just got now around to testing out my Retron 5. Genesis, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA games all work well. The SNES and Genesis controller ports work great. I don't have an NES controller to test.

Can you guys recommend a decent NES game I could buy online that's reasonably priced? I just want to test out the port to make sure it's functioning. I have a handful NES carts around somewhere that I bought at Goodwill, but I have no idea where they are.

My one complaint is the damn deathgrip on the Genesis cartridges. The SNES cartridges didn't seem too bad, but I didn't test many. The Genesis games made me feel like I was going to rip the motherboard out. Have you guys figured out any tips or tricks to safely removing the deathgrip carts?

I like the way the console gently grips the gameboy carts though. I bought about 150 gameboy games when Gamestop marked them way down years ago. I haven't gotten around to playing any of them... yet. I wish the Super Gameboy worked on the retron 5 so I could play more of them in color. I guess it's personal preference, but I like the way the retron 5 makes the gameboy games look in black and white (HDMI) more than I like the way the super gameboy looks in color with regular SNES composite cables. Hopefully that makes sense.

I also did the system update and the application update. It only took a couple minutes. I grew up with computers and I'm working on my MS in information technology and management. It was simple for me, but I can't imagine a person with only general computer knowledge doing that update process without getting stressed out.

I just have to reiterate what all of you guys have been saying. The games look and sound beautiful. The save state functions are a godsend. I forgot how hard some of these games are. Maybe now I will be able to actually finish some of the hardest ones. Playing Sonic games with the SNES controller hurt my brain (in an awesome way). I was getting pain in my left thumb gripping the SNES directional pad until I realized that I didn't have to hold it as hard as the genesis directional pad when playing Sonic.

I hope this console lasts a while. The deathgrip bullshit makes me feel like the console might break quickly like many of you guys have been saying. If it does last, I'm sure I will buy more and more Hyperkin products in the future. If it poops out fast I probably wont. All of my old consoles and games still work perfectly. Even when I started gaming at 6 years old, I was a meticulous and borderline OCD about my games. Tonight I was marveling on how I could tell which childhood games my mom bought for me brand new and which ones she bought preowned (aside as from the obvious Blockbuster Video stickers).

It's going to be sad (and maybe sort of funny) if my Wii U and Xbox One collect dust because I'm instead playing games that are two decades old.

Sorry for the long rambling post. I feel like the next hardware purchase I should think about it a cheap capture card, so I can record gameplay and put it on Youtube channel to talk about all of this kind of shit.

If you're only going to buy one NES game you should pick a classic.

Zelda
SMB3
Metroid

But my all time favorite is and will always be: Mike Tysons Punch Out.

If you're only going to buy one NES game you should pick a classic.

Zelda
SMB3
Metroid

But my all time favorite is and will always be: Mike Tysons Punch Out.
I plan on buying more, but the cheapass that I am wants to hunt them down at yard sales and consignment stores before I pay eBay prices. :D

You're right those are definitely all classics that I want. At least I purchased Zelda, Super Metroid, Super Punchout and SMB3 on the nintendo eshop. I need to own the original Metroid and Punch out for sure.

My one complaint is the damn deathgrip on the Genesis cartridges. The SNES cartridges didn't seem too bad, but I didn't test many. The Genesis games made me feel like I was going to rip the motherboard out. Have you guys figured out any tips or tricks to safely removing the deathgrip carts?

[/spoiler]
I've found that grabbing the corner of the cart and using it like a level is an easier way to get the carts out. They slide out with a moderate amount of force for me.

In a prior post they talked about SNES lag. Anyone else experience this? Playing Super Mario Kart I definitely can notice some lag. I've tried a couple of different source tvs, I'll keep trying. Some games it doesn't matter in.

I've not noticed any lag. But I play on a HDTV with a low refresh rate and Game Mode enabled.

But I'm sure it's not 100% the same as a genuine console w analog input.

I've found that grabbing the corner of the cart and using it like a level is an easier way to get the carts out. They slide out with a moderate amount of force for me.

In a prior post they talked about SNES lag. Anyone else experience this? Playing Super Mario Kart I definitely can notice some lag. I've tried a couple of different source tvs, I'll keep trying. Some games it doesn't matter in.
Thank you. I think that does help.

I'll try to see if I notice any SNES lag. I haven't experienced anything noticeable so far. I'll have to play some Mario Kart or Super Mario World. Those will be dead giveaways.

I'm using a 47" Samsung 3D LED and a 5 port HDMI switch, so my setup already has a small amount of lag built into it. I'll try to keep that in mind.

No Controllers work now. The Hyperkin, SNES controller not one of them. Any ideas? Is there a way to reset the system?

So much for Amazon doing me a solid and upgrading me to next day delivery on my black console, as promised (or even my Prime 2-day delivery). Status changed to "Preparing for Shipping" on Thursday. It stayed in that status all the way through to Saturday morning, when it changed to "Shipping Soon". It stayed like that until 8pm, when it "shipped" - which of course means they just have a UPS label on it and are awaiting UPS to pick it up, which won't happen until Monday. My estimated delivery is Wednesday, 6 days after the process started.

So much for Amazon doing me a solid and upgrading me to next day delivery on my black console, as promised (or even my Prime 2-day delivery). Status changed to "Preparing for Shipping" on Thursday. It stayed in that status all the way through to Saturday morning, when it changed to "Shipping Soon". It stayed like that until 8pm, when it "shipped" - which of course means they just have a UPS label on it and are awaiting UPS to pick it up, which won't happen until Monday. My estimated delivery is Wednesday, 6 days after the process started.
At least yours is shipping. Mine from the 11th is STILL in the "Not yet shipped" phase...

So much for Amazon doing me a solid and upgrading me to next day delivery on my black console, as promised (or even my Prime 2-day delivery). Status changed to "Preparing for Shipping" on Thursday. It stayed in that status all the way through to Saturday morning, when it changed to "Shipping Soon". It stayed like that until 8pm, when it "shipped" - which of course means they just have a UPS label on it and are awaiting UPS to pick it up, which won't happen until Monday. My estimated delivery is Wednesday, 6 days after the process started.
Mine was supposed to he overnight shipping as well, was finally shipped on Saturday and was sent FedEx 2 Day for a Tuesday delivery. It went into preparimg for shipment on Friday. Apparently no part of the process of getting this console can go smoothly.

Mine was supposed to he overnight shipping as well, was finally shipped on Saturday and was sent FedEx 2 Day for a Tuesday delivery. It went into preparimg for shipment on Friday. Apparently no part of the process of getting this console can go smoothly.
Right! At this point, I fully expect that I'll hear the UPS truck and open the door to receive my package - only to watch the UPS guy trip and fall and drop my console on the sidewalk, breaking it at my feet.

Well keep in mind the overnight shipping time starts from when they actually ship it. They could be preparing it for a month but still get it shipped overnight once it's out the door. If it leaves their warehouse on Monday it would have to arrive after Tuesday to not be considered an overnight delivery. If it goes out Monday and arrives on Wednesday as you say it's scheduled that would definitely not meet the overnight status, but I wouldn't blow it out of proportion and say it took 6 days. I know you're frustrated but you should be realistic with your expectations.

No Controllers work now. The Hyperkin, SNES controller not one of them. Any ideas? Is there a way to reset the system?
That happened to me in the middle of playing donkey kong country. When I shut down the console and booted it up again the controllers started working. Really weird.

Debating if I should keep my black one and sell the grey version or keep both. I had a friend come over to try and he was amazed on how pretty the games look. He didn't even want to try xbox one.

Just grabbed some Famicom and Super Famicom games from eStarland during my lunch break at work. Can't wait to give them a shot when I get back. Has anyone messed with some imports yet?

Debating if I should keep my black one and sell the grey version or keep both. I had a friend come over to try and he was amazed on how pretty the games look. He didn't even want to try xbox one.
I decided to keep my gray one despite my black one from Amazon still being on pre-order (it has a unspecified delivery date), my friend says that he might buy it since it was at $99. I'll cancel it if he doesn't. No point in reselling the Retron since it's becoming more common now.

Just grabbed some Famicom and Super Famicom games from eStarland during my lunch break at work. Can't wait to give them a shot when I get back. Has anyone messed with some imports yet?
Yes. Famicom and Super Famicom were the main reason I wanted this unit since I do not own those import consoles.

I bought a handful of each from local retro game stores and they all play fine.

Import mega drive games work as well as master system games via the power base converter.

I think I am going to keep one of each color R5's too simply because I fear the console will break in the future and the collector in me wants both.

While I'm still waiting for my Retron to ship I've started gathering items to clean my carts.

The last thing I'm missing are the security bits. It seems I need the two following items. 

1/4" TORX Bit
4.5mm Security Game Bit 

Does anyone know of a good place to buy these for cheap? I see them on Amazon but for 8$ per one it seems a little high. Maybe someone knows of a set that has all console bits?

While I'm still waiting for my Retron to ship I've started gathering items to clean my carts.

The last thing I'm missing are the security bits. It seems I need the two following items.

1/4" TORX Bit
4.5mm Security Game Bit

Does anyone know of a good place to buy these for cheap? I see them on Amazon but for 8$ per one it seems a little high. Maybe someone knows of a set that has all console bits?
The ones on Amazon from VGM are good quality. A lot of the cheaper ones will strip the screws. If your going to be using them a lot then just spend the $8. I got my set from VGM and they're well worth it. I picked up the set of 2 female gold bits.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GT15JPU/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1403473165&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

These bits should open up anything you have thats retro. Read the reviews about people using other bits.

Dumb question but, did you hold the power button for 5-10 seconds?

It won't work if you press it and release like a normal on/off button.

So has there been updates to the console recently?
Yes. I think 2 firmware updates have been released this far.

Here's another good review although the reviewers are purists, and don't care for the console. I agree that I'd rather own the original hardware.... But I already do ;)

Game Sack - The Hyperkin Retron 5

http://youtu.be/Y13r4LCbARw

Also, really want that guys TG16 shirt.

How do I get the cheats working?
I tried playing one of the Harder Contra's (Hard Corps) with the 99/Infinite GG code, just so I can see the ending without you tubing it...

Never seemed to activate.

I asked a friend if he had any NES games he wanted to sell me. Right away he said he'd give me Mario/Duck hunt for free because he has so many copies.

Has anyone had any luck getting this cart to work? I know duck hunt is not an option without the gun peripheral working on hdtvs. I'm just wondering if Mario would work. I remember people saying they were having problems with multigame carts working. I think someone mentioned something about that Sega 6-pack not working correctly because it couldn't to the main menu to pick a game.

Finally!  My black Retron 5 preordered on September 12 at 7 PM from Amazon is "preparing for shipment".  I have a suspicion that it will be shipping with a PS3 game I also preordered coming out tomorrow.  Both were with free super saver shipping.

I asked a friend if he had any NES games he wanted to sell me. Right away he said he'd give me Mario/Duck hunt for free because he has so many copies.

Has anyone had any luck getting this cart to work? I know duck hunt is not an option without the gun peripheral working on hdtvs. I'm just wondering if Mario would work. I remember people saying they were having problems with multigame carts working. I think someone mentioned something about that Sega 6-pack not working correctly because it couldn't to the main menu to pick a game.
Mine worked fine.

I tried playing one of the Harder Contra's (Hard Corps) with the 99/Infinite GG code, just so I can see the ending without you tubing it...

I read on this forum that the cheats only work for the snes for now. Waiting for an update to the cheats because playing Contra Hard Corps with the Retron 5 controller is hell.

I read on this forum that the cheats only work for the snes for now. Waiting for an update to the cheats because playing Contra Hard Corps with the Retron 5 controller is hell.
I have tried cheats on the NES, SNES and Genesis and they have worked on the few games I have tried. I dont have CHC so Im not sure about that one.

Have you tried other games? Or is it just Contra that doesn't work? I've been able to use cheats for Contra Hard Corps without issue.

I haven't received my shipping notice yet but I checked the status of my order and it's shipping now. Guess I'll have my extra black unit by Wednesday. Now to figure out what the heck to do with it...

Have you tried other games? Or is it just Contra that doesn't work? I've been able to use cheats for Contra Hard Corps without issue.

I haven't received my shipping notice yet but I checked the status of my order and it's shipping now. Guess I'll have my extra black unit by Wednesday. Now to figure out what the heck to do with it...
I'm planning to test it out, make sure everything works well, and then put it back in the box, place it in the back of a closet, and save it in case the other console breaks.

None of the cheats I've tried for Contra Hard Corps work for me. I either get a red screen of death or the game will load up but the cheat will not activate.
I've had that red screen screw up my Castlevania Bloodlines. I honestly don't know what made it finally work. I just rotated a few carts in and out and it began working like the rest. Have you tried booting it up and activating the cheats after the game starts? I've had that work sometimes but it has caused the game to stop functioning as well. We managed to beat Contra Hard Corps at game night Saturday with these haxorz.

Welp, I tried my random ass copy of Super Wrestlemania for the Super Famicom and it's the one game that won't actually work. It dumps the rom but when I get into it all I see is some lines, some colors flashing, and then it freezes. No sound. (guessing it's the old scroll Acclaim logo). 

I cleaned it up and tried it again and it still does the same thing. I know it's not borked because American SNES games still work and my other random Super Famicom game (Super Uno lol) works just fine.

This is like the worst customer service ever. My slots stopped working after a day of use except for the NES slot. After emailing them and not hearing back after a week I called and did an RMA. I hear back from them today they're saying all the slots are working fine and they wouldn't be able to resale mine as new so they are refusing to give me a new system.

bread's done
Back