Drclaw411

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
CURRENT DEALS:

$129.99 with free shipping at ThinkGeek

Important Information
​Warranty registration - http://www.retron5.com/warrantyregistration_/
Patch Notes / How to Update (Last update 6/10/2014) - http://retron5.in/?src=98f13708210194c475687be6106a3b84

I've included the text from the pre-order era of this OP in spoilers for reference.
UPDATE 5/27/14: It's real this time. Hyperkin's June 6 release date is happening. Many mom and pop stores that have received their units have started selling them already, and many people who have ordered from Amazon (myself included) are reporting getting emails from Amazon notifying them that their orders qualify for release day delivery and are updating estimated delivery status to June 6th, no longer showing the "we need more time" placeholder. It's worth noting that so far only people who have ordered the grey unit from Amazon are receiving order updates (which coincides with Hyperkin reporting on their facebook page that they had shipped Amazon's grey preorder units, but Amazon had yet to place an order for the black units). All consoles that have been shown off online by reviewers, people who have been able to buy them before the street date, or Hyperkin themselves have all been grey consoles to this point. No word on black consoles. Another note: Chris Gallizzi of Hyperkin responded to an inquiry about Newegg orders by saying that he is not aware of any issues with Newegg's preorders, and they should be good to go for the launch.

UPDATE 5/22/14: Just one day after IGN and Polygon reported that Hyperkin would begin shipping units to retailers on May 22 (today as of this writing), Hyperkin essentially confirmed that. They have announced that the launch date for the long overdue RetroN 5 is June 6th, 2014. In a much quieter fashion (just by responding to a random person's comment) they confirmed this would be for North America only and that the console would launch in the UK in September. There is also one more small hitch. The rumor that the first batch of units would be only for mom/pop B&M retailers and that NO units from this batch would go to Amazon or Newegg has been gaining some serious steam. While Hyperkin has been responding to a decent amount of comments on their facebook page from excited fans, they continue to ignore questions about when Amazon orders will ship. So it seems those of us who preordered on Amazon still don't have a solid release date. Fulfillment could happen any time between June 6th through September or beyond.

UPDATE 5/21/14: IGN today reported that the RetroN 5 would begin shipping out on May 22 (tomorrow, as of this writing)! This coincides with Chris Gazzilli, Hyperkin's project manager, posting a picture on his facebook page of a massive shipping container full of RetroN 5 units. Ladies and Gentlemen, it seems hell may have just frozen over.

UPDATE 5/13/14: Hyperkin has listed the RetroN 5, and it's controllers, on their company wholesale store for authorized retailers to buy. The console (both colors) and controllers (both colors) are listed as sold out. I'm not sure if they were in stock and sold out quickly, or if they haven't been made available yet. Regardless, it's good news that the system is listed for the first time ever. Additionally, reviewers such as GameSpot and several youtube reviewers have received their review units, which appear to be retail units. The RetroN 5 seems to finally be around the corner. We'll see, but things look promising right now. One thing to note: the listing for the console on Hyperkin's wholesale page indicates that each wholesale box contains six units. If this is the case, it would seem to debunk the previous report of the console being shipped in quantities of four per retailer.

UPDATE 4/25/14: While this hasn't technically been confirmed by Hyperkin, I take it as fact. It's worth remembering that NOTHING has been officially confirmed by Hyperkin. Hyperkin has remained silent until unofficially confirming almost all known info in random interviews with various youtubers and forum members. Therefor, again, I take this as fact:

I spoke to Hyperkin today.

Here are the "unofficial" details.

The "end of May" release is a "soft" release. Meaning they really are waiting for the next batch due in the summer for the official real release. Amazon is NOT getting any of the units released at the end of May. Each retailer is only getting 4 units. Retail on the unit is $139.99 and $39.99 for the additional controller. The reasons for the price increase are both cosmetic and technical but if it works as it should then it should be a great retro system.

Our 4 are already taken with pre-orders. If you know any stores locally that are getting units, and you want one for end of May, then i suggest you contact them and put money down. Keep in mind that each store is getting 4 units only for the soft launch.
UPDATE 4/17/14: Hyperkin has increased the price of the RetroN 5, saying "north of $100, between $129.99 and $149.99". Alll pre-orders from Amazon should be honored via their pre-order price guarantee. I believe Newegg has the same guarantee, I am not sure about Stone Age Gamer or 8 Bit Classics. Think Geek still hasn't opened pre-orders on the unit, instead offering a link to be signed up for email notifications as to when it will be available. Also on the Amazon front, they have sold out or pre-orders. Furthermore, it is more likely you'll learn the ETA from Amazon, Newegg, or whoever you ordered it from. Hyperkin has gone on record of saying they will never again announce a hard release date for anything.

UPDATE 4/12/14: After Hyperkin denied the console was delayed again and vigoruosuly shoved the month of April up everyone's ass for half a year, today they delayed the vaporware console yet again. At the Midwest Gaming Classic, they did their annual presentation. They ignored the planned April 2014 release, but finally somebody in the crowd asked about it. The Hyperkin rep said it was releasing in "30 days, guaranteed". This is not the first time they used the word "guaranteed", last time was about April so this doesn't mean jack shit. So maybe it'll randomly show up at people's houses at the end of may, maybe it wont, and maybe my ass will fly out of my ass.

Retron 5 Delay History:
-Summer 2013 (which they continued to say after summer was over, claiming they meant "Indian Summer" or "California Summer"....i'm not making this up)
-December 10 2013
-Quarter 1 2014
-Quarter 2 2014
-First two weeks of April
-April 2014, guaranteed
-Gauranteed within 30-40 days of April 12, 2014
-June 6 2014

DELAYED. ANY UPDATES FROM HYPERKIN WILL COME ON THEIR FACEBOOK PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/HyperkinGames

UPDATE: In a recent interview, Hyperkin confirmed that the initial batch of units WILL NOT BE ENOUGH to meet day ome demand. Also confirmed was the ability for the system to act as a multitap. Example: in a four player SNES game, two players could use snes controlles, one player could use the retron controller, and one player could use a genesis controller. Interview can be found here.

Pre-order at Amazon (SOLD OUT)
Pre-order at Newegg: Black (SOLD OUT) or Grey (SOLD OUT)
Pre-order at Stone Age Gamer (DUE TO HIGH DEMAND, RELEASE DAY DELIVERY NOT PROMISED)
Pre-order at 8 Bit Classics (DUE TO HIGH DEMAND, RELEASE DAY DELIVERY NOT PROMISED)

UPDATE: Hyperkin claims that they opened up some packaged retail units and discovered some units had faulty pins. because of this, the Retron 5 has been delayed. No new release date has been announced, although Hyperkin has stated the unit will release in 2014 and that they are aiming for Q1. This is the Retron 5's third delay.

EDIT: Preorders are sold out at Amazon and Newegg.

Retron5 pre-orders have finally (about damn time) opened.

For those of you who have been following this console, you know it's quite highly anticipated and looks to be far better than any clone system released before.

For those unfamiliar, here's a little info:

• It's one system that plays games for the following systems: NES, SNES, Genesis, Mega Drive, Famicom, Super Famicom, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance.
  • Two controller ports for each console will be built in with the system. It will also come with one wireless universal controller.
  • Outputs in HDMI and upscales for HDTVs. Early impressions and videos of this have been extremley postive. From the website: "The RetroN 5 will up convert the video signal to show clearer and cleaner images, with vibrant colors on an HDTV with a resolution output of up to 720p through the use of shaders. You will also be able to select the aspect ratio in our GUI, from the standard 4:3 to the HD ratio of 16:9."
  • Features a user interface (dashboard. Somewhat similar of the PS3 interface in appearance, in my opinion).
  • Features save states. From the website: "Most games did not allow for you to freely save your games. The RetroN 5 will allow you to save their games at any point during gameplay, and will feature an autosave feature upon shutdown. You will be able to load your saves at anytime during gameplay."
  • Button reassignment supported. From the website: "Users will be able to program the controller to assign buttons to their preference. In turn, the RetroN 5 will save these custom layouts, so that users will not have to constantly reconfigure the button configuration. This feature will also be available to people wanting to remap their buttons on their original controllers."
  • 100% game cartridge compatibility, without lag.
  • Sega Power Base Converter compatible, allowing Sega Master System games to be played.
More information is here. It may be a bit dated since this was from back when they first announced the console, but I figured it was the best site to link since it also featured some screenshots as well. http://hyperkin.com/blog/2013/03/retron-5-details-revealed-from-the-midwest-gaming-classic/ There is also plenty of info on Hyperkin's facebook page.

I've been looking forward to this for a long time, and i'm extremley excited that pre-orders are finally open. For one console that not only plays all of these console's games, but upscales them and features save states (either to the cartridge (if supported) or the console itself)...this seems like a great deal. And if you've been following the hype for the console, there is a good chance it could end up selling out. Hyperkin isn't a huge company and this thing has a TON of pre-release demand (just check out the comments on the facebook page). I like the look of the black one a bit better, because it seems to be the traditional console color nowadays. But I opted for the grey model because the black console and controller seem like they'd be fingerprint magnets.

Preorder either color here at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-RetroN-Gaming-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B00DZIX3CQ/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1378958043&sr=8-13&keywords=retron+5 or here at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=retron%205&N=-1&isNodeId=1&RandomID=65244712392254220130925161655

Here are pictures of the two consoles, since the pictures on Amazon aren't that great:

Grey:
Retron-5.jpg

Black:
e3_retron5_03550.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone having NES controller problems after the 6/26 update? Now all my NES games won't register Left D-Pad input in game menus, then when I get in a game it pushes Left D-Pad all by itself. SNES working just fine, but NES is all messed up no matter what controller I use.

Anyone having NES controller problems after the 6/26 update? Now all my NES games won't register Left D-Pad input in game menus, then when I get in a game it pushes Left D-Pad all by itself. SNES working just fine, but NES is all messed up no matter what controller I use.
I would make sure you didn't mess up with NES keybinding

I'm just wondering on why someone would want a second Retron controller. I guess if the current one craps out or... you actually like it? =|

I think it's a great controller.
I can see it being great for RPGs but do you think it's good for anything else? I'm not too much into retro fighting games but that's the only way I can think that it may be good for something. Other than that, retro game controllers never had an analog stick which makes every game I've played with it feel weird.

From Amazon.com Customer Service [email protected]:

Greetings from Amazon.com.

You saved $23.80 with Amazon.com's Pre-order Price Guarantee!

The price of the item(s) decreased after you ordered them, and we gave you the
lowest price.

The following title(s) decreased in price:

Hyperkin RetroN 5 Retro Gaming System - Black
Price on order date: $99.99
Price charged at shipping: $76.19
Lowest price before release date: $76.19
Quantity: 1
Total Savings: $23.80

$23.80 is your total savings under our Pre-order Price Guarantee.
Hmmm.. that's weird. Now that I think about it, I do remember preordering for $99. So how/when did the price drop to $76?? Did anyone else get this email? I've never received an email from Amazon like this before, it's very unusual. Eh, I don't really care, I've paid and it's on its way finally.

Also, my Retron5 and RetroTio are in a race now to see who gets delivered first. The delivery estimate for the Retron5 is 7/8/14; for the RetroTrio, it's 7/9/14.

It's not unusual to be loved by anyone.  Neither is that email.  And everyone who got in on the initial preorders got that price.  I don't know how you missed it.

I'm just wondering on why someone would want a second Retron controller. I guess if the current one craps out or... you actually like it? =|
The types of cords the original controllers use are the kinds one of my cats likes to chew. I'd rather not have those damaged. The Retron controllers aren't the best, but they work.

The types of cords the original controllers use are the kinds one of my cats likes to chew. I'd rather not have those damaged. The Retron controllers aren't the best, but they work.
God, my cat Mo used to chew on ANY cord in the house and I never could figure out why.

I went through so many charge cables, and an HDMI cable due to him,

You have to train the cat early on to stop chewing cords. When I'm recording gameplay, I have a rat's nest of A/V cords around my desk and he loves to come chew on them. I'd keep him off them with a water gun. Poor thing used to have so many streaks of water in his fur before he realized he needs to stop chewing on cables if he wants to stay dry.

Maybe you can keep a water gun next to you while you play with original controllers. I think it'll enhance your Retron 5 experience seeing as how it doesn't support a light gun  :rofl:

Speaking of cords, I bought two wireless SNES controllers. I've been bogged down lately with the holiday and work but once I get them out and test them, I'll let you know on if they are worth it. I'm mainly buying them for when I go to work with the Retron as our HDTV is mounted too high.

Maybe you can keep a water gun next to you while you play with original controllers. I think it'll enhance your Retron 5 experience seeing as how it doesn't support a light gun :rofl:
My dad uses a spray bottle that he got from the dollar store. :D

Giant Bomb did 2 videos on July 3 featuring the RetroN5:

Contra NES playthrough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yF0canA_wg

Freedom stream with various NES, Genesis, SNES, Famicom, & Super Famicom games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eySoTLFHpsc

Has anyone tried out Jurassic Park (SNES)? I'm having an issue where the HUD is messed up and it doesn't fill the screen, wanted to see if anyone else had this.[attachment=6404:Jurassic Park (USA)-0.jpg]

You have to train the cat early on to stop chewing cords. When I'm recording gameplay, I have a rat's nest of A/V cords around my desk and he loves to come chew on them. I'd keep him off them with a water gun. Poor thing used to have so many streaks of water in his fur before he realized he needs to stop chewing on cables if he wants to stay dry.

Maybe you can keep a water gun next to you while you play with original controllers. I think it'll enhance your Retron 5 experience seeing as how it doesn't support a light gun :rofl:
Oh god he was just a kitten, 6weeks old when we got him... and we did EVERYTHING to try and stop or slow down his chewing.
Nothing worked.

He didn't flinch or run when sprayed with a water bottle.

Lemon juice didn't bug him

Sour/Bitter sprays didn't bug him.

The only thing we learned was to stand up, or bap him on the nose and he'd run away. The worst was there were multiple times I woke up to him chewing on my lamp, alarm clock and blinds cord in my bedroom cause he was so loud when doing it.

Giant Bomb did 2 videos on July 3 featuring the RetroN5:

Contra NES playthrough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yF0canA_wg

Freedom stream with various NES, Genesis, SNES, Famicom, & Super Famicom games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eySoTLFHpsc
I've been trying to figure out how they do recording like that.

I want to record my gameplay.. but I also want to stream.

I don't want my recordings to pick up what I am saying in the stream however since I like to go back and edit footage together for future use.

So what are the biggest hardware problems people are having?

I have a black console that works fine and I sold my gray console to someone in France. He is claiming it is DOA and sent me a video showing me that it won't power on:

https://mega.co.nz/#!R9xzVBKA!d2XSRLzXRHt2nwj-3kGuZktIr_WbBUieLXhbgqZnvzY

^ Requires you download the file (audio in french / broken English)

My first thought (and response) was "duh... you're not holding the power button down long enough" but he said he has tried that and it still won't power up. He is saying that it is getting power (you can see the power light come one when the AC adapter is plugged in) but there is an issue because when he taps the controller inputs the power source light flickers. 

I'm at my camp and won't be near my Retron until I come home later next week so I have no way of telling if that is normal or a sign that his unit is defective. I know there have been all kinds of complaints in this thread but I honestly skimmed most of them since my black unit worked fine right of the box.

Is this a common issue? I typically hate troubleshooting hardware problems with people over the internet because most are either scammers or people too dumb to figure it out / have already convinced themselves the product is defective but I want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything (already suggested he switch out the AC adapter)

I typically hate troubleshooting hardware problems with people over the internet because most are either scammers or people too dumb to figure it out / have already convinced themselves the product is defective but I want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything (already suggested he switch out the AC adapter)
Might I suggest homeopathy? Prayer mixed with occasional flailing? A seance? Buying a ticket for a Hyperkin customer service rep to fly out to France and troubleshoot it?

All might be better options than belittling the people you're asking to help you.

I've been trying to figure out how they do recording like that.
I want to record my gameplay.. but I also want to stream.
I don't want my recordings to pick up what I am saying in the stream however since I like to go back and edit footage together for future use.
They use a game capture device and a webcam and some kinda of software. I use an Elgato Gamecapture Device and Open Broadcast Software. It's free and it's pretty easy to set up broadcasts like that as long as you got room and decent computer and equipment. There are some pretty good videos on YouTube on how to set up OBS.

Might I suggest homeopathy? Prayer mixed with occasional flailing? A seance? Buying a ticket for a Hyperkin customer service rep to fly out to France and troubleshoot it?

All might be better options than belittling the people you're asking to help you.
GBAstar was talking about the buyer in France, not the CAG users he's hoping will help him. As in, "trying to fix the French guy's problem over the internet is a huge pain in the ass, as is most long-distance troubleshooting, because (reasons stated in prior post)."

Has anyone tried using a SG ProPad 6 (or the 2 which I believe is the same but a rebranding) or Super Pad by Performance for the Genesis and know if they work with the RetroN 5? Planning on having these shipped from a friend that is getting rid of his old accessories and wanted to make sure at least one of them is going to work before I pay him for what he is expecting them to sell for on ebay (with friend discount :D)  plus shipping.

My guess on the French guy's problem is one, he's not holding the button in that I can tell in the video but appears to be rapidly clicking it on and off.  Two, maybe there's an issue with the power conversion from Europe to US.  

It is definitely great for RPGs. And much easier to play with fast-forward compared to using a regular controller.

If your close to or near Woodstock Georgia , Max Video Games currently has a surplus of Retron 5s in stock. Picked one up the other day and I'm loving it. Gentleman at the store said they had around 15 left , I went to the store on 7/3

I'm loving mine so far, the only real complaint that I have with it is that the Genesis and Famicom slots are wayyy too tight on their grips on the cartridges. I feel like I'm break a game or strip the slot one of these days.

I'm loving mine so far, the only real complaint that I have with it is that the Genesis and Famicom slots are wayyy too tight on their grips on the cartridges. I feel like I'm break a game or strip the slot one of these days.
After a few weeks of pulling them in and out they will loosen up. Anymore with mine I only have a cart or to that seems to be tight, not sure why.

10408987_10152292862096888_2907740589705957846_n.jpg

Saw this posted on Hyperkin's FB page a week back and forgot to post about it but apparently a few people are having issues with the pins bending outwards on their console in different slots. Feel bad for those who though they had a perfect unit with everything working fine just to have this happen. Really hope this isn't something that is going to appear in more units with further usage >

Over the past week I've learned that pretty much no local store around me has ever carried any sort of Famicom or Super Famicom game. A local game store told me that had a few then retracted their previous statement and said they never had any when I came in (ugh). 2nd and Charles claimed they never had any in and if they did the employee smugly replied "we would probably buy them ourselves before we ever sold them to customers". eStarland is where I got my first few thanks to their GamerXchange event. But as for the store itself, all they have are mostly crappy sports games, pachinko games, or really old and obscure licensed anime games. eStarland also overcharges for even the crappiest of crappy import Super Famicom games.

Despite them being nearly nonexistent in stores around me that would actually carry them, eBay seems to have several games for fairly cheap. I'm tempted to grab one of the Fire Emblem's since I love the series but I may opt for the repro instead with the translation. I guess we'll see. :D

10408987_10152292862096888_2907740589705957846_n.jpg

Saw this posted on Hyperkin's FB page a week back and forgot to post about it but apparently a few people are having issues with the pins bending outwards on their console in different slots. Feel bad for those who though they had a perfect unit with everything working fine just to have this happen. Really hope this isn't something that is going to appear in more units with further usage ><.
I had this exact thing happen to my NES slot a few days back. Doesn't seem to be affecting cartridge readability though (yet).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DZIX3CQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1BYVHSE5N2P4MK12ZPW9&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846 14 left in stock at Go Hastings.

$14 over MSRP when you count shipping included. Better then the eBay prices anyways of $180-$190 for recent completed auctions.
And better than what they have them priced at on their website. $180 for the black, $233 for the grey. BOOOOOOOOOOOO!

My local 2nd and Charles has a few of these things in stock. I've been bouncing the idea of picking one up. I've got all the older systems though haha.

I just picked one up at the FYE in the Berkshire Mall in Reading, PA yesterday.  Only one on the floor but could have more in the back.  I never had a snes.  If there is one game I should get for the snes, what would you say it should be.

I just picked one up at the FYE in the Berkshire Mall in Reading, PA yesterday. Only one on the floor but could have more in the back. I never had a snes. If there is one game I should get for the snes, what would you say it should be.
Super Mario World is a great game to start out with and it shouldn't be too terribly expensive.

WARNING

Do not use Fire Emblem in these things!

At least not the GBA ones. I tried putting it in for my first GBA test and it seems to have wiped out one of my saves. I dont think it did my main save but the one i had a map or two back (the one i loaded up) After i quit the game and tried putting it back in the GBA to test, the middle save slot was gone. I didn't try the sacred stones yet, not sure if it does the same thing. 

Anyone else had this problem? I know that game is a bit unique in that it saves your spot when your playing normally. Maybe the Retron cant handle that? Kinda sucks since GBA games were the main reason i actually got this thing really. Now though im super worried about putting my rpgs like Breath of fire, or Chrono trigger, FF, ect in here. Does this thing have an issue with wiping out saves? Im very leery now about using this!

Blea, major disapointment there. Well, anyway obviously i tested this out the other day. Seems to load everything up fine. Fire emblem for the GBA took WAY longer than the other games i put in. Like a good 40 seconds or so to load up. I need to test the controller ports but the initial tests seemed fine, untill i did Fire emblem and lost my saves. I have

App V1.0(Build1223)

System Software V 0.20

Hardware revision v1.0

listed in system menu. Should i try a system update? Is save wiping a problem with the older software? This is a big issue. Obviously no one wants to use a system that may randomly wipe your saves o_O

Oh yes, and theres one other issue.. powering on is odd. The power button has to be held for like 6 or 7 seconds to turn on! That doesn't seem right. I thought it was broken at first. Is that just the way it works?

WARNING

Do not use Fire Emblem in these things!

At least not the GBA ones. I tried putting it in for my first GBA test and it seems to have wiped out one of my saves. I dont think it did my main save but the one i had a map or two back (the one i loaded up) After i quit the game and tried putting it back in the GBA to test, the middle save slot was gone. I didn't try the sacred stones yet, not sure if it does the same thing.

Anyone else had this problem? I know that game is a bit unique in that it saves your spot when your playing normally. Maybe the Retron cant handle that? Kinda sucks since GBA games were the main reason i actually got this thing really. Now though im super worried about putting my rpgs like Breath of fire, or Chrono trigger, FF, ect in here. Does this thing have an issue with wiping out saves? Im very leery now about using this!

Blea, major disapointment there. Well, anyway obviously i tested this out the other day. Seems to load everything up fine. Fire emblem for the GBA took WAY longer than the other games i put in. Like a good 40 seconds or so to load up. I need to test the controller ports but the initial tests seemed fine, untill i did Fire emblem and lost my saves. I have

App V1.0(Build1223)

System Software V 0.20

Hardware revision v1.0

listed in system menu. Should i try a system update? Is save wiping a problem with the older software? This is a big issue. Obviously no one wants to use a system that may randomly wipe your saves o_O

Oh yes, and theres one other issue.. powering on is odd. The power button has to be held for like 6 or 7 seconds to turn on! That doesn't seem right. I thought it was broken at first. Is that just the way it works?
You need to update http://retron5.in/node/2

1. That is how the console turns on

2. Turn off auto import saves

3. No idea if clearing saves is gone or not but it has not happened to me with manually importing my saves but I have not tried to push them back to the cart yet.

Im enjoying my system but cant get the firmware to update.. will say installing for 10+ mins then I get error 1001

I never had a snes. If there is one game I should get for the snes, what would you say it should be.
Super Metroid would be my one and only, especially if you're even remotely a metroidvania fan.

And if not Super Mario World as someone else mentioned, then I'd throw my vote behind Super Mario All-Stars (enhanced versions of the original... three? plus the "lost levels" released as Super Mario Bros 2 in Japan) if it hasn't been re-released on the Wii/U and you haven't snagged it.

Super Metroid would be my one and only, especially if you're even remotely a metroidvania fan.

And if not Super Mario World as someone else mentioned, then I'd throw my vote behind Super Mario All-Stars (enhanced versions of the original... three? plus the "lost levels" released as Super Mario Bros 2 in Japan) if it hasn't been re-released on the Wii/U and you haven't snagged it.
Or, if you've got 25-40 bucks to spare, snag Super Mario World+Mario All Stars cart. 5 games for a reasonable price! I'll also throw my vote behind the Donkey Kong Country games. Still so much fun after all of these years and not quite blowing up through the ceiling, price-wise like other games of its time.

Over the past week I've learned that pretty much no local store around me has ever carried any sort of Famicom or Super Famicom game. A local game store told me that had a few then retracted their previous statement and said they never had any when I came in (ugh). 2nd and Charles claimed they never had any in and if they did the employee smugly replied "we would probably buy them ourselves before we ever sold them to customers". eStarland is where I got my first few thanks to their GamerXchange event. But as for the store itself, all they have are mostly crappy sports games, pachinko games, or really old and obscure licensed anime games. eStarland also overcharges for even the crappiest of crappy import Super Famicom games.

Despite them being nearly nonexistent in stores around me that would actually carry them, eBay seems to have several games for fairly cheap. I'm tempted to grab one of the Fire Emblem's since I love the series but I may opt for the repro instead with the translation. I guess we'll see. :D
If you were going to go with Fire Emblem (SFC), I think you would have a very difficult time if you didn't know any Japanese. At least for Mystery of the Emblem, the attack/defense stats are not as straight forward as the new titles. You could probably get by following a strict guide online, but a repro would probably be a better bet; however, my Mysery of the Emblem repro does not yet work on the Retron 5.

I just picked one up at the FYE in the Berkshire Mall in Reading, PA yesterday. Only one on the floor but could have more in the back. I never had a snes. If there is one game I should get for the snes, what would you say it should be.
I dont know if this is something you might be interested in or not but I have tried out this new retro game rental service that is like Gamefly called RetroScribe, www.retroscribe.com. They have a one month free trial. You can try out some games and if you like them you can buy them from ebay, craigslist or a mom and pop store. Might be cheaper to try out some games, for a month anyway.

They will be add more games soon. They are out of Pittsburgh and it take me about 3 days to receive a new game, im in NC. Worth trying out anyway.

bread's done
Back