Returning a brand new (unopened) game console - questions...

karkyco

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
Are there any stores that allow returns of brand new, unopened consoles paid for with cash and still with the receipt for cash? Or do most stores issue a check nowadays, due to the higher amount? I bought an extra DS Lite for the wife, paid cash, but she doesn't want it.

And if they won't give me back my cash but rather issue a check, what about if I had paid with credit card? Are there even any stores that would give you back your cash if you return an unopened DS Lite with the original receipt?

Because from what I've heard, Best Buy, Target, WalMart, etc. limit the amount for cash returns and instead issue checks. Hmmm, I wonder if I should have bought it at Costco...

If you paid by cash, and it's over $100 (or some other amount, depends on the store), it'll come back to you as a check from their corporate office. The "average" amount that goes to the "mail a check" level is normally $100, though again, depends on the store.

If you paid via credit card, it'll go back to your credit card as a credit. Only time I get cash back on a credit card-based transaction or a debit-card based transaction would be if it's some small dollar amount, like under $10.

Costco is a little different when it comes to returns. If you paid via credit card, you're going to get back a credit. If you paid for it via cash or check, and it's for unopened product, you should get back cash, or have the option for cash or a cash card (their gift-card like card). If it's an item you're returning to them opened/used because it's dead/defective or on their satisfaction guarantee, you're normally supposed to get the money back on a cash card and not cash. I had them give me back cash on a 360 system that died, and they would have given me a cash card for the amount, though their system was on the fritz, so they gave me cash.

[quote name='62t']costco also doesnt take most credit card, only American Express[/quote]

Yeah I have AMEX. Hmmm. That is so annoying. I don't want to have to deal with the hassle of waiting for the check to be issued.

But thanks shrike and 62t.

I once returned a gps at target, paid for by my check card and received cash. I thought it was a little odd but the clerk insisted on paying me cash back. As for credit cards I have always received credit back to my card.

[quote name='sandman007']They might also put it on a giftcard.[/quote]

That'd probably be the easiest and most guaranteed way out of it.

At TRU, you get the entire purchase refunded if you pay with cash. As long as you have the receipt of course.

I don't know what the limit is, but I've returned a cash purchase of a 360 elite once.

Call the particular BB, Target, etc. that you would use and ask them what their specifics are for the situation. Assuming they'll do a full cash refund it would be best to do the return in the evening when they have more cash on hand. Don't do it when they first open. I had so many people do that when I was in customer service and would get pissed when I didn't have $300-400 just waiting for them at 10:03.

Wait, maybe I'm just slow and not reading it right, but... you already purchased the DS Lite and have a receipt? Where did you buy it from and why not return it there? This does not compute.

If you take in a new system with a receipt to return it, you need not worry about the other stores as it should only be returned to the store you bought it from. It doesn't matter if you take a DS you bought at Target and a receipt into Best Buy or Wal-Mart or something they are not going to return it to you if you show them the receipt proving your legit. Just take it back to where you bought it and find out. If you don't like the offer, sell it online.

Yeah, it would have made more sense to open your thread with the specific store you bought the DS from.
For example, "Hey, do you guys know if with returns, does **The Store's name** give you back cash for a $120 DS if you paid with it in cash and have a receipt?".

I guess the OP was wondering about other stores as well out of pure curiosity, but he should of at least included the store he bought from as well.

bread's done
Back