Returning item at Target

MissRiot0721

CAGiversary!
I usually don't go to Target but seeing how the PS3 controller was suppose to be on sale. I told my sister to go pick one up for me on her way home but the price was $54.99 plus tax so around $60.

I was wondering if I can still return it even though I open it or would they check (open up the item and check) cause I was thinking of resealing it to make it look like it haven't been open.

Plan B make an excuse like the controller doesn't and ask for refund or exchange for a game.

I know it seems like a big deal but I wasn't expecting the controller to cost that much I could have bought a couple of games with that money.

dont think so, target does not accept return on open video game hardware according to there return policy. If you claim it is defective they will likely just give u a replacement but i think that is also considered fraud. ur best bet is to try to price match it to another sale or buy another new one for cheaper and return that item.

[quote name='GBAstar']the million dollar question is why did you open it?[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming he opened it before he found she paid full retail price for it.

[quote name='GBAstar']the million dollar question is why did you open it?[/QUOTE]

I wasn't aware of the price till she ask for the money since I told her I'll paid her when she got home. The box still looks new I would at least hope that they would let me exchange it at least.

[quote name='Tsel']I'm assuming he opened it before he found she paid full retail price for it.[/QUOTE]
But that still doesn't make sense. Why not ask BEFORE opening something? I'm not trying to say that this is what the OP may be trying to pull, but I myself was accused of pulling the 'old switcheroo' on a new controller by a district manager from the local GS stores when the Dual Shock 3 first came out on PS3.

They said that I had put a SixAxis into the package of a Dual Shock 3 and tried returning it, when in fact it was opened when I got it.:cry:

I used to see this all the time when I worked for Hills/Ames back in the day. People would come in with a fat model PS1 crammed into the box for a slim PSone and most of the idiots working the return desk would take the return without checking the contents.

I don't know if there's a way to check on the outside of the package for the Dual Shock 3's, but they all have serial #'s on them anymore just like the consoles. So if there is some way to match up the one in the package to see if it's the one that came out of it this method of fraud may go away to some extent thankfully.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But that still doesn't make sense. Why not ask BEFORE opening something? I'm not trying to say that this is what the OP may be trying to pull, but I myself was accused of pulling the 'old switcheroo' on a new controller by a district manager from the local GS stores when the Dual Shock 3 first came out on PS3.

They said that I had put a SixAxis into the package of a Dual Shock 3 and tried returning it, when in fact it was opened when I got it.:cry:

I used to see this all the time when I worked for Hills/Ames back in the day. People would come in with a fat model PS1 crammed into the box for a slim PSone and most of the idiots working the return desk would take the return without checking the contents.

I don't know if there's a way to check on the outside of the package for the Dual Shock 3's, but they all have serial #'s on them anymore just like the consoles. So if there is some way to match up the one in the package to see if it's the one that came out of it this method of fraud may go away to some extent thankfully.[/QUOTE]
Well he said it was supposed to be on sale, so he probably just thought it was.

Still though, if I ever had someone I know get me something, I'd make sure it was the price I wanted them to pick it up at before opening it. Then again, I have like 4-5 spare Dual Shock 3's, so I'm set till the middle of the next next gen.;)

[quote name='MissRiot0721']I wasn't aware of the price till she ask for the money since I told her I'll paid her when she got home. The box still looks new I would at least hope that they would let me exchange it at least.[/QUOTE]

I just assumed when the person gave it to you (afterall they bought it so therefore they would have to give it to you) you would have asked them how much it cost

[quote name='exaznkid']dont think so, target does not accept return on open video game hardware according to there return policy. If you claim it is defective they will likely just give u a replacement but i think that is also considered fraud. ur best bet is to try to price match it to another sale or buy another new one for cheaper and return that item.[/QUOTE]

Uhm what? I've been returning opened video game hardware to target for years.. unless their policy changed recently, the OP should be able to return it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But that still doesn't make sense. Why not ask BEFORE opening something? I'm not trying to say that this is what the OP may be trying to pull, but I myself was accused of pulling the 'old switcheroo' on a new controller by a district manager from the local GS stores when the Dual Shock 3 first came out on PS3.

I don't know if there's a way to check on the outside of the package for the Dual Shock 3's, but they all have serial #'s on them anymore just like the consoles. So if there is some way to match up the one in the package to see if it's the one that came out of it this method of fraud may go away to some extent thankfully.[/QUOTE]

I wanted to know if they would check cause the controller is white and my niece got her hands on it so it looks like it's been used I cleaned it the best I could. I wasn't gonna switch out anything I don't even have any other controller to switch it out with. I assume the price was around $45 bucks so I didn't bother to ask ( sorry for trusting my sister)

God some people on here are so quick to yell fraud. Some of you must live very scared, sheltered little lives. If you're worried about it being the big ol' "F" word, take the screws out, poor OJ on the inside of it, and then reseal it. When you return it saying it doesn't work you will not be lying! lol

[quote name='Zaku77']God some people on here are so quick to yell fraud. Some of you must live very scared, sheltered little lives. If you're worried about it being the big ol' "F" word, take the screws out, poor OJ on the inside of it, and then reseal it. When you return it saying it doesn't work you will not be lying! lol[/QUOTE]

Yea.....I was just gonna left the battery dead I don't want to completely destroy it and if that accept I could use it still

I'll just call and ask tomorrow.

[quote name='MissRiot0721']Yea.....I was just gonna left the battery dead I don't want to completely destroy it and if that accept I could use it still

I'll just call and ask tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I do hope you can tell that I was kidding about that... lol

[quote name='sasukekun']Buy another at sales price. Use the original ($54.99) receipt to return the unopened one.

Problem solved.[/QUOTE]

This. You should take their advice. Or have them do a return rebuy for the price difference

I'm not sure if this is truly a standard return experience, but I recently had to return a relatively new release game to Target because it turned out to be defective and they really gave me a hard time about it and left me thinking that Target returns or their CS department has really gone downhill.

Firstly, they made me go to the electronics section to pick up the same game, which is no big deal, I'm assuming it's pretty standard procedure.

Problem is, I didn't find any copies of the game in the electronics section, so after looking around for awhile, I went back to the CS counter and the CS person scanned the item and verified their stock and said that their store didn't have it, but not only that, but that none of the other Target stores anywhere nearby had the game either.

She left me with the single option of taking it back and waiting for it to come in stock again. When I asked her when it would be back in stock, she said she didn't have that information. Thinking it was weird that none of their nearby stores had stock, I asked if I could instead get a gift card or exchange it for something else instead. She said I couldn't and that was Target's policy.

Leaving a customer hanging with a defective item to wait on a new shipment of a product, but without providing an ETA is just plain dumb, so after getting no where with the CS rep for awhile, she eventually asked that I speak to a manager. I explained the situation to the manager and she confirmed the CS rep's position!! That I could take the defect home and wait, but they couldn't tell me if/when the game would come back in stock.

After attempting my best to explain how ridiculous the situation seems, she eventually allowed me to exchange the item for something else in the game section and having already casually looked through the section earlier, I asked her what could be done IF I couldn't find anything I'd like and if they would be willing to at the very least drop it on a gift card for me to use at another time at Target, but she said she wouldn't and the alternative would be that I could take the defective game home and wait.

Luckily, I managed to settle on a game, which under normal circumstances, I'd be unwilling to pay for at the price I paid, but they left me feeling like I didn't have a choice. I know I made the right decision though and that incident is well over a month back I think, but to this day, whenever I drop by any Target stores in my area, I still have yet to see any restock of that game.

[quote name='sykotek']I'm not sure if this is truly a standard return experience, but I recently had to return a relatively new release game to Target because it turned out to be defective ....[/QUOTE]

I thought that was why retailers tried to upsell you into disc protection at the time of sale.

Never had a game disc become "defective". How long after you purchase did this happen?

It wasn't clearance, it was brand new, and it cost $40. It wasn't a disc, it was a 3DS game. Admittedly, I didn't open the game immediately upon purchasing it because I have a large backlog of games, so maybe a week or two after initially purchasing it, still well within Target's return policy though.

Having worked at Target and knowing how dumb some of the Guest Service people are, you can definitely return the item. Clean it up the very best you can and bring the packaging with you with the receipt. Tell them that it didn't work and you are very frustrated and just would like a refund. Easiest route to get the money back.

I don't see anywhere where video game hardware can't be returned within 90 days. Software on the other hand is another story.

I agree with Stryder. I shop at Target way more than I should and guest services really are clueless. Just bring in item and packaging with receipt, say it doesn't work and you'll be fine. And if you don't have your receipt, you can always just bring in the debit/credit card it was purchased under and they can look it up.

[quote name='StryderOmega']Having worked at Target and knowing how dumb some of the Guest Service people are, you can definitely return the item. Clean it up the very best you can and bring the packaging with you with the receipt. Tell them that it didn't work and you are very frustrated and just would like a refund. Easiest route to get the money back.

I don't see anywhere where video game hardware can't be returned within 90 days. Software on the other hand is another story.[/QUOTE]

The advice Stryder gave is the best advice you can take. Please don't attempt resealing it to make it look like it was never opened. Chances are, they'll put it back on the shelf, and someone else will end up buying the one you opened.. happens all the time, especially with people that steal items out of the package and reseal them to make it look like they're new/unopened.

There's nothing in the policy where it states video game hardware can't be returned, in fact MANY stores will let you return opened video game hardware. Hell, I think even gamestop let you return open accessories (which I think included controllers) at one point, not sure if they still do. If I've been able to return opened video game consoles and handhelds to Target for many years, you should be able to return a controller..

@Sykotek-normal procedures are that if no other stores have it in the area you're supposed to get store credit.

@The OP-Not trying to thread crap but let's be honest, first you as the eventual owner shoud've asked your sister how much it was. Secondly, why'd you let your niece at it? I mean I work at a retail store in the electronics area and I am a gamer so I see both points of view but your negligence is kind of own you and not the stores. If I ever have someone pick something up for me I tell them how much it is supposed to be.

[quote name='sunghost']The advice Stryder gave is the best advice you can take. Please don't attempt resealing it to make it look like it was never opened. Chances are, they'll put it back on the shelf, and someone else will end up buying the one you opened.. happens all the time, especially with people that steal items out of the package and reseal them to make it look like they're new/unopened.

There's nothing in the policy where it states video game hardware can't be returned, in fact MANY stores will let you return opened video game hardware. Hell, I think even gamestop let you return open accessories (which I think included controllers) at one point, not sure if they still do. If I've been able to return opened video game consoles and handhelds to Target for many years, you should be able to return a controller..[/QUOTE]

Gamestop let you return used accessories not sure about new but I know for a fact that they check to make sure it wasn't temper with, same goes with best buy but I find it dumb that you can't return games because from what the guy told us was apparently people make copy of the game then return them which make no sense in my situation. We where there to return a Vtech Reader and a Princess Cartridge that wasn't even open, the guy told we couldn't return the cartridge only the reader. Anyways I guess it depend on the employee and store policy.

I was lucky enough to get my money back at target the lady took one look at it ask if there was anything wrong with it told her that it didn't work and she refunded my money she didn't if even check it or anything. Problem Solved.

[quote name='Nightfox31']@Sykotek-normal procedures are that if no other stores have it in the area you're supposed to get store credit.

@The OP-Not trying to thread crap but let's be honest, first you as the eventual owner shoud've asked your sister how much it was. Secondly, why'd you let your niece at it? I mean I work at a retail store in the electronics area and I am a gamer so I see both points of view but your negligence is kind of own you and not the stores. If I ever have someone pick something up for me I tell them how much it is supposed to be.[/QUOTE]

Never say it was anyone's fault in fact it was my fault to begin with, I was just worry they wouldn't give me get a refund or at least let me exchange for some game. You probably never live with kids especially when there only 2 years old but they always find a way to get stuff.

[quote name='MissRiot0721']

Never say it was anyone's fault in fact it was my fault to begin with, I was just worry they wouldn't give me get a refund or at least let me exchange for some game. You probably never live with kids especially when there only 2 years old but they always find a way to get stuff.[/QUOTE]

That's true but it is also art part of life. Doesn't mean you should get a refund everytime a toddler, friend, relative, stranger causes damage to one of your items. You shouldn't lean back on the retailer as ultimately the costs get passed back onto the customers and/or policies become more strict

If I paid 60 dollars for a controller I would definitely keep it out of reach of a toddler, especially one with sharpie ink hands that perma stain a controller.

I also don't ask people to buy things for me at any price assuming there's a magical sale on it all the time.

I think everyone has given you the best advice there is to give. Definitely learn your lesson for the future and buy your own things, ask how much they cost, and keep them in a safe place once you do get them.

For the guy who had a hard time returning something at Target, their policy is only exchanges on opened software. It sucks, but that's the way it is. They did the best they could in that situation. They could have just told you to take it up with the manufacturer and their warranty.

I had a 360 game (DC vs. Marvel) that I had to exchange 3 times before getting a non-defective copy from Best Buy. Had to drive around to several stores since I kept getting the last copy at each store, but I finally found one that wouldn't freeze my 360 during the first match load.

I actually have a 2 and 1/2 year old and anything I don't want her getting her hands on, she doesn't. All my vintage and rare games are somewhere high and up so she can't get at them. The whole "you don't understand what its like with a 2 yr old" argument really doesn't fly with people with 2 yr olds. Just admit you made a mistake and instead of trying to pass it off on the retailer admit it and get on with it. Remember, the employees and shoppers are hurt by customers that take advantage of the return policies. If it's your fault you should eat the hit.

bread's done
Back