Reuters: Warner Music says music video games must pay more

Gothic Walrus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080807/media_nm/warnermusic_videogames_dc

[quote name='Reuters']Warner Music says music video games must pay more

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Warner Music Group Corp, the world's third-largest music company, said on Thursday that video game makers will need to pay more to license songs for music-based video games like "Guitar Hero" and "Rock Band."
ADVERTISEMENT

Warner Music Chief Executive Edgar Bronfman drew comparisons between MTV's launch 25 years ago or Apple Inc's iPod launch five years ago, and today's video game companies like Activision Blizzard Inc and Harmonix, a unit of Viacom Inc.

"The amount being paid to the music industry, even though their games are entirely dependent on the content we own and control, is far too small"

(Reporting by Yinka Adegoke)[/QUOTE]

Warner Music is the only company that's complained so far, and only after five Guitar Hero titles, Rock Band, and a ton of DLC have been released? Someone's getting greedy...

So how about they make the fees for other music licensing smaller in that case?
and seeing as how it's become another platform to launch new music from, it's helping them at the current state it's in anyway.

I long for the day I can pirate DLC for Rock Band and Guitar Hero. It'd be a nice "fuck you" to the record companies for complaining about a good thing.

Haha. Another bead in Bronfman Jr.'s string of follies. What a fucking loser. If he wasn't born into money to burn he'd be goddamn nobody.

Just to be clear, this is the same douchebag who liquidated a 25% stake in DUPONT to buy out Universal pictures which he ran into the ground and had to sell out. He also proposed that movie ticket prices be scaled to the cost of production on a given film.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jkanownik'](X% + Y%) x 0 = 0

Not surprised. 95% of my graduating marketing class didn't understand the equation above.[/quote]

That's OK. I was in a Precalc course at university to fulfill part of my education degree requirement, amongst others. It's frightening when you hear that this was the last course they needed to become a middle school or high school math teacher and yet they had the same problem as the rest of your class.

The blind teaching the blind, indeed.

It's tough being a rock legend these days.

As the latest "American Idol" winners clog airwaves and classic rock FM stations fade in favor of pre-programmed stations that play "anything we want" -- usually overproduced glop -- superstars of old are getting less and less radio play.

Sure, their fortunes are generally secured, but getting in front of new and younger audiences has become increasingly difficult. ITunes helps, but the hit songs of the hour typically dominate its Top 10. Cell phone ringtones? More of the same.

Surprisingly, the savior of classic rock may turn out to be the video game industry. With titles like Electronic Arts' "Rock Band" and Activision's "Guitar Hero," players -- particularly younger ones -- are getting a taste of what their parents used to rock out to.
http://tech.msn.com/products/article.aspx?cp-documentid=8640365&GT1=40000

Brilliant move Warner BRILLIANT

Surely these record companies are getting a good chunk of change from these dlc, or I hope so since they cost more than downloading from itunes and can't be used anywhere but on that game and console.

Well, do we have any idea how much they are getting now? The way bands seem to be lining up for their own special editions of the game, I would think they are getting a good price, but I'd like to know that for sure.

But, from the outside, this does look like a money grab. The music industry only has this platform because of games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band. These games helped create the genre that sells the extra music, and if the genre slows down, there will be less need for the music.

It would be really nice if the rest of the industry stepped up, and sold their music at a fair price, and Warner ends up missing this nice gravy train, before crawling back in the future to accept the current contract.

even though their games are entirely dependent on the content we own and control is far too small

As has already been said, thats easily fixed, if you ask for too much Activision and EA will just stop making them, and then you'll get nothing.

I like the way these morons think that we can't survive without buying music. News-flash buddy, I could stop buying music tomorrow (and not get any illegally either) and life will continue on it's merry way.

It's not oxygen you own the rights to you know !!

Something FINALLY came along that can't be (easily) pirated and allows record companies to license their music and they bitch about it. Unbelievable.

I'm still waiting for Sony to finally put up their iTunes competitor on PS3 where you can download an MP3 plus the rockband/guitar hero version of a song for 2.50, and they can watch the money roll in (you would get a download for a computer too I assume).

I say Sony because they are one of the largest labels, so they have the most to gain, turning the iTunes fee into more of their own profit (they should also have an easy time getting other companies to join them against iTunes).

bread's done
Back