Review: Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! (Import DS)

AngellicLulu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I've decided to do my first review for CAG on Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!, Ouendan for short, for the Nintendo DS. This currently can only be imported from Japan.

Background/Story:
Ouendan is a quirky music rhythm game from those who brought us Gitaroo-man. The plot of this game is you are a member of the "support squadron", whose job is to go around cheering on those who request aid. Some of the people you help include a horse trying to catch a crook, a police team trying to stop an invasion of robots, and yes, even a businessman turn giant trying to stop a giant rodent from terrorizing a young girl.

The story is told through a beginning and intermission sequences during each stage. It is not hard to understand what is going on in the comicbook style story, even if you cannot read Japanese.

Story: 9; funny and original

Gameplay: The game is played completely with the stylus and makes a great use of the DS's touch screen capabilities. The gameplay is easy to pick up because there is a tutorial that demonstrates it and it really is not complicated.

Ouendan makes use of a system of 'hit markers' that you hit with the stylus when the circle around them matches the circle of the 'hit marker'. There are also long bars which you follow with your stylus on the screen. It's easy to understand but difficult to master, much like DDR. You must learn timing on the game for you have a timer bar that decreases with time but will replenish if you are doing well. When the song is finished you recieve a score and a letter grade, I have yet to get an A :cry:

Ouendan has two modes in single player. The top mode is the hard difficulty and the bottom is the easy difficulty. To play two player you need another cart, but another DS without the cart can download the tutorial. I was unable to try out the two player mode so I cannot comment on that.

Gameplay: 9; A great rhtyhm game that really makes use of the DS's stylus/touch screen.

Sound/Songs: Ouendan is a rhythm game and consists of a song selection of 15 songs that vary from J-Pop, J-Rock and J-HipHop. The song selection is small but very good. If you enjoy anime opening/ending songs, you'll recognize some of the bands like L' Arcen' Ciel, B'z, and ORANGE RANGE. After playing the game for a day, I began to seek out the soundtrack, unfortunately they did not make one but some people have compiled a torrent of the mp3s. It's a very good lineup of music starting with a Loop & Loop from Asian Kung-Fu Generation and ending with Ready Steady Go! from L' Arcen' Ciel.

Sound: 10; Great sountrack and good sound effects. It really makes the game.

Graphics: Ouendan has bright graphics that really convey the feelings of the characters. It gives the game a comic-book feel and really adds to the gameplay of the game. The graphics are nothing spectacular or innovative but they are fun and functional. The graphics reminded me of Viewtiful Joe.

Graphics:
8; Nothing spectacular, but gives life to the game.

Overall: Ouendan is a must-have game for fans of the DS, music games or japanese music. It's style is unique and the story idea is unique and fun.

Overall:
9; Well worth the import!

I hope you enjoyed my first review.

A friend of mine imported this game and brought it to a little dorm-wide gaming shindig we held last weekend.

I found it to be an absolute blast.

Do you know of any deals? I'm really wanting to pick this up, but $50 is a bit rich.

[quote name='theq87']A friend of mine imported this game and brought it to a little dorm-wide gaming shindig we held last weekend.

I found it to be an absolute blast.

Do you know of any deals? I'm really wanting to pick this up, but $50 is a bit rich.[/QUOTE]
Best bet is trying ebay. The cheapest Ouendan from a store I trust is yesasia.com and it's still 40+.

Orange Range is in it? Christ, one of my friends would flip if he found out...I'm real interested in this game, and since it was made by the Gitaroo guys, that seals the deal. It'll be my first import if I buy it. :D

For those interested here is the song list (number of stage - artist - song):
1 - Asian Kung-fu Generation - Loop & Loop
2 - 175R - Melody
3 - Morning Musume - Koi no Dance Site
4 - Ulfuls - Guts Da Ze!!
5 - nobodyknows+ - Kokoro Odoru
6 - Tomoyasu Hotei - Thrill
7 - The Blue Hearts - Linda Linda
8 - B'z - Atsuki Kodou no Hate
9 - Kishi-dan - One Night Carnival
10 - Road Of Major - Taisetsuna Mono
11 - Linda Yamamoto - Horiuchi
12 - Yaida Hitomi - Over The Distance
13 - ORANGE RANGE - Shanghai Honey
14 - The Yellow Monkey - Taiyo Ga Moteiru
15 - L'Arc~En~Ciel - Ready Steady Go

[quote name='AngellicLulu']
Ouendan has two modes in single player. The top mode is the hard difficulty and the bottom is the easy difficulty.[/QUOTE]

There is actually 3 levels of difficulty. The hardest mode is unlocked when you finish the game at the normal difficulty level.

[quote name='theq87']Do you know of any deals? I'm really wanting to pick this up, but $50 is a bit rich.[/QUOTE]

I got mine for around $40 at yesasia.com. It's very much worth it if you like rhythm games. It's my favorite DS game thus far.

[quote name='Jack']There is actually 3 levels of difficulty. The hardest mode is unlocked when you finish the game at the normal difficulty level.[/QUOTE]
Aren't there 4 modes of difficulty? (Or maybe there's more? I haven't beat the 4th one yet :p)

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']Aren't there 4 modes of difficulty? (Or maybe there's more? I haven't beat the 4th one yet :p)[/QUOTE]

Are there? Is it unlocked when you get through the third mode? I can't get past the third mode and I assumed it couldn't get any harder.

[quote name='Jack']Are there? Is it unlocked when you get through the third mode? I can't get past the third mode and I assumed it couldn't get any harder.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it unlocked after the third level. I haven't played it in a while, but if I ever get through the 4th one and if there's another level after that, I'm probably going to shoot myself :lol:

Wholly crap! They have licensed musice?! I'm a huge fan of Asian Kung-fu Generation and L'Arc~En~Ciel.

Great review though, OP. Makes me wish I had a DS. :whistle2:(

[quote name='Jack']There is actually 3 levels of difficulty. The hardest mode is unlocked when you finish the game at the normal difficulty level.

I got mine for around $40 at yesasia.com. It's very much worth it if you like rhythm games. It's my favorite DS game thus far.[/QUOTE]
Well I meant to say intially unlocked. I recently discovered that you can unlock higher levels.

I was going to pick it up when I was in Hong Kong couple months ago, but I forgot to get it.

O well, at least I got Jump Superstar.

Well, Ready Steady Go on difficulty 3 is about impossible, so I don't see how a FOURTH level of difficulty is possible. :O

I agree with everything you said, LuLu. Great game.

Even if you said it was crap, I would still pick it up when I go to Tokyo in the Spring. The videos make it look awesome.

[quote name='trunks982']http://myweb.hinet.net/home5/yujinfa2003/ouen_last.wmv

heres a video of the last level in super hard mode. im up to that level and couldn't pass the second part.[/QUOTE]

Nice video, thanks for sharing. I would have liked to see the player playing on the DS rather than a blown up video of what the player was seeing.

I still can't get through the final stage in hard mode.

bread's done
Back