Revolution stand to double as power supply... Plus more

levi333

CAGiversary!
Feedback
99 (99%)
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/revolution/revolution-stand-actually-its-power-supply-155405.php

Cool if you ask me.

ninpowersupply.jpg

EDIT- More juicy info...
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/revolution/revolution-leaks-galore-155407.php

i love the comment on the website you linked to.....

"It looks like Nintendo’s Revolution stand is going to double as a power supply. That’s cool, it’s kinda like how the Xbox 360’s power supply doubles as a noisy coffee table."

[quote name='tholly']i love the comment on the website you linked to.....

"It looks like Nintendo’s Revolution stand is going to double as a power supply. That’s cool, it’s kinda like how the Xbox 360’s power supply doubles as a noisy coffee table."[/QUOTE]
I think that amuses me more than it should.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I still have a feeling for a game console that slot-loading drive is going to be trouble.[/QUOTE]

Isn't PS3 doing the same thing too?

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I still have a feeling for a game console that slot-loading drive is going to be trouble.[/QUOTE]
It seems to work well enough in a car, and at least the console won't be bouncing along the road.

So what if you don't want to use the stand or set it horizontally? Methinks, if anything, this will function like an MP3 player dock, more like a pass-through cable and not actually a functional piece of electronic hardware.

...So no one is thinking that this is the ultimate "Plug and Play" game system with a portable battery? Take an A/V cord and a controller, along with system and base, and you've got a system that just screams "Lan Party"

One of my DVD players is, and I haven't had any trouble. I actually love the fact that it is a slot loader.

[quote name='rodeojones903']One of my DVD players is, and I haven't had any trouble. I actually love the fact that it is a slot loader.[/QUOTE]
I dunno man, maybe I'm awfulizing, I'm just envisioning all the "ZOMG my ps3volution scuffed my disc" or "OH NOES it j4mm3d!" threads that might be on our horizion.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I dunno man, maybe I'm awfulizing, I'm just envisioning all the "ZOMG my ps3volution scuffed my disc" or "OH NOES it j4mm3d!" threads that might be on our horizion.[/QUOTE]
weve had an apple cube since release
YEARS ago and not a problem in any way..
and yes the obvious comparison is the car cd players.

[quote name='Skelah']I think its an example of how nintendo trys to hard to focus on the gimmic instead of the consumer .[/QUOTE]

gimmick? i think it's great to have a brand new fresh idea for a game console right around the corner.

put it this way... you're basically going to be getting the same shit between the ps3 and the xbox 360. the only thing that might make you buy both is if microsoft pops out with some awesome exclusive xbox 360 games (we all know ps3 is going to have them... metal gear, devil may cry, etc.). but with nintendos new console you're at least getting something different (for hella cheap too)... just walk into a game store and take a look around. look at the piles of crap that come out every week. sure you get your occasional god of wars, guitar heros, and resident evil 4s... but in general there's just more madden, another james bond game, another gta rip off, a ww2 fps, and a rpg about a boy who's village burned down and now he has to save the world from evil! with nintendo pushing innovative games (like they always do) you're not going to get as many piles of crap (even though there will be quite a few im sure).

it's good to know that nintendo is at least trying something new even if it fails horribly (i highly doubt... but it is a possibility). where would we be without innovation? think about it... the ds sales numbers for both systems and games prove innovation is a good thing. sure the psp did something new and innovative with umd movies and that's the only thing really selling the psp at this point. but it's a game console first and a portable dvd player second.

also i just want to point out im not a fanboy of nintendo (i own every current gaming system and will own a ps3 and revolution as well). i just respect their ideas.

at this point most people do see the revolution as a gimmick. just like most people saw the ds as a gimmick. well, i just have to say i like my ds 100X more than my psp and im not alone.

edit: i just want to give MS props on xbox live arcade and gamer cards. best idea to hit a game console since the analog stick.

[quote name='Skelah']I think its an example of how nintendo trys to hard to focus on the gimmic instead of the consumer .[/QUOTE]

Smart design is not a gimmick.

It's spelled with a k, you know.

Wow....that statement is completely wrong. Congrats.

[quote name='David85']I don't like the idea simply because I don't want mine standing up like that.[/QUOTE]

When its in the entertainment center, it can lay flat. Its when you have it elsewhere with the battery it stands up.

I'm less worried about scratches then how it will actually handle the little Gamecube disks. Anyone who has owned a Powerbook knows that it ain't friendly when with those mini-dvd/cd disks. At least on my Titanium and 1st Generation Aluminum book it wasn't. In fact, it was scary. I tested it on one at work, so I wouldn't destroy mine first, and it ate the little disk.

I'm assuming that the Revolution will be using a full sized slot since I thought it was supposed to be able to play DVDs with an addon.

[quote name='b3b0p']
I'm assuming that the Revolution will be using a full sized slot since I thought it was supposed to be able to play DVDs with an addon.[/QUOTE]

Legitimate worries about the slot aside (which I too worry about), I could have sworn I saw in an interview that Iwata stated that it will play DVDs out of the box, without the need for a dongle. I know at E3 they said an add-on was needed, but a few months later they changed their minds.

Can anyone else confirm? I'm on dial-up here at work, so I really can't go around searching sites.

[quote name='b3b0p']I'm less worried about scratches then how it will actually handle the little Gamecube disks. Anyone who has owned a Powerbook knows that it ain't friendly when with those mini-dvd/cd disks. At least on my Titanium and 1st Generation Aluminum book it wasn't. In fact, it was scary. I tested it on one at work, so I wouldn't destroy mine first, and it ate the little disk.

I'm assuming that the Revolution will be using a full sized slot since I thought it was supposed to be able to play DVDs with an addon.[/QUOTE]
I've heard from some people that use slot based CD drives outside of Apple computers that the drive is able to move the disc around until it finds the hole for the motor to slide in.

Every piece of Revolution news I hear (except for the bizarre high prices that were rumored for classic games on the virtual console) makes me more and more excited for this thing.

I've always thought it would be cool if a console could find a way to be completely wireless. (No power cord, no cords to the TV, and no controller cords.) We have wireless controllers. Is there any way possible to have no power cords and no cables from the console to the TV? (Now that would be a revolutionary technology!)

EDIT: I don't know what I was thinking the first time I read the article. I realized they were talking about the power supply. Heh. :)

EDIT 2: Wait a sec. Look at that second link and check out the pic of the Gamecube controller ports...that's a flat surface right? If so, the Wavebird receivers wouldn't be able to fit in there, because the receiver is rounded by the plug. (Look at your GC and receiver) If so, I bet they are going to be able to detect the Wavebirds internally! That would also be great!

[quote name='Rig']I've always thought it would be cool if a console could find a way to be completely wireless. (No power cord, no cords to the TV, and no controller cords.) We have wireless controllers. Is there any way possible to have no power cords and no cables from the console to the TV? (Now that would be a revolutionary technology!)[/QUOTE]

Nope... in the future, power supplies will not only be essential and unavoidable, they will also continue to grow in size. This trend has begun in earnest with the Xbox 360.

archive.php

(I never tire of Xbox 360 power supply humor!)

I'm glad the stand is going to be the power suppy. I was worried that we were going to get a big external unit, since the Revolution is so small.

Funny! Same thing that was said about that crazy DS, and look, its outselling the 16x9 Widescreen PSP.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I can't absolutely fucking wait for Revolution. This is the most excited I've been since Dreamcast.[/QUOTE]

Thats kind of a back-handed compliment.
I agree, i'm starting to get a bit excited. Especiallly considering all the PS3 news lately.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Inductive Charging

No contacts/cables needed on the base[/QUOTE]
That doesn't explain induction very well (not that anything does really)...

I think this another pretty solid idea, although having to have them together won't be the most ideal thing.

[quote name='xrickyb86x']sure you get your occasional god of wars, guitar heros, and resident evil 4s... but in general there's just more madden, another james bond game, another gta rip off, a ww2 fps, and a rpg about a boy who's village burned down and now he has to save the world from evil! [/QUOTE]
So... did you just forget about all 47 Mario games Nintendo's churned out for Gamecube while talking about the overused franchises, or did you just leave it out to better suite your argument?

I'm willing to concede the Mario Parties if you're willing to concede that the other Mario games all have a different type of gameplay to them -- unlike the cookie-cutter graphics-enhanced FPS, Madden '0year, GTA-engine license #275. And I believe that was the point that ricky was trying to make, although he can certainly correct me if I'm wrong.

[quote name='Genocidal']Because we all know the Dreamcast did so well. It's like a kiss of death.[/QUOTE]

They're still making Dreamcast systems and games in Japan.

bread's done
Back