Revolution will be a nightmare for retail displays.

ngamer007

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
How are you going to properly secure the Revolution controller? You can't just leave it unsecured, it will get stolen in less than an hour and then there won't be a controller there for another 6 months at which point it will get instantly stolen again.

I ****ing hate thieves, but it's the world we live in. I mean... you *could* secure the controller, but then you wouldn't even be able to use the gyro function.

o_O

There was a rumor from Planetgamecube that a rep said "there will be no store demoes."

Not sure what to think about that.

Doesn't matter to me, I'm getting it launch day. Show me where to pre order.

I am a consumer whore.

[quote name='iheartmetal']if they can keep remotes in hotel rooms they can keep this in a demo[/QUOTE]
I don't know if you've ever worked in electronics retail, but it's a little bit different than a press brief in a hotel room.

People come in and just don't care. They'll fill a bag with 2GB CompactFlash cards in big bulky security cases, and just walk out the door. When it beeps, they don't care, they just keep walking. Running if they have to. But security is 100% useless, and it would take 15 minutes for cops to show up -- way too late.

Also, video camera footage are not considered to be "enough evidence".

[quote name='Graystone']Simple you know when you go to the bank and the pen that is on the chain same concept.[/QUOTE]
Yeah...those pens are ALWAYS missing. I always have to ask the Teller for a pen at every single bank I go to.

[quote name='Graystone']Simple you know when you go to the bank and the pen that is on the chain same concept.[/QUOTE]

Yep, it usually is missing the pen. :)

Probably the same way digital cameras are put on display on retail stores. It'll have the cable attached to the controller, and if someone pulls it off, a alarm will sound.

[quote name='iheartmetal']if they can keep remotes in hotel rooms they can keep this in a demo[/QUOTE]

But in a motel room, if something is destroyed or missing they can charge your credit card.

Who is going to want to play the thing anyway. They are not going to alienate , just developers. They are going to alienate gamers too.

[quote name='howlinmad']Yep, it usually is missing the pen. :)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ngamer007']
Yeah...those pens are ALWAYS missing. I always have to ask the Teller for a pen at every single bank I go to.[/QUOTE]

Really what type of banks are you guys going to :D

Since that idea didn't work how about the the little thing the cell phones are on in every store. For those who don't know its a black cord and then when you pick it up and let it go it retracts.

[quote name='Graystone']Since that idea didn't work how about the the little thing the cell phones are on in every store. For those who don't know its a black cord and then when you pick it up and let it go it retracts.[/QUOTE]That's exactly what I was going to suggest. It wouldn't surprise me to see something like that.

And I don't believe the Rep that claimed there simply wouldn't be any in-store displays for the Revolution. That would be damn-near suicidal on Nintendo's part. People are going to be skeptical. If there's any console that's gonna need to sell people on the EXPERIENCE, it's this one.

Besides, you could argue a similar problem for the DS stylus, but those are on display all over the place. True it's a much less expensive problem if a stylus gets stolen, but the principle is the same.

But then comes the issue, how much banging does it take for the calibration on the remotes to get off? After all, 80% of the store displays I come across with NORMAL controllers have some kind of wear, damage, etc. which causes the display to not be fully playable.

[quote name='Graystone']Really what type of banks are you guys going to :D

Since that idea didn't work how about the the little thing the cell phones are on in every store. For those who don't know its a black cord and then when you pick it up and let it go it retracts.[/QUOTE]

Wirecutters take care of those and the pen displays; if someone wanted a Rev controller bad enough, they'd just bring bolt cutters and run. :lol:

[quote name='ECW_fan']Who is going to want to play the thing anyway. They are not going to alienate , just developers. They are going to alienate gamers too.[/QUOTE]

You have to realize that not only is the revolution controller AWESOME OMFG, but you can plug in your good old GCN controller.

[quote name='Nifferson']You have to realize that not only is the revolution controller AWESOME OMFG, but you can plug in your good old GCN controller.[/QUOTE]
For backwards compatability only if I read an article posted on the long ass thread properly. THe article stated the revolutions games would only use the revolution controller.

How about like how they do it at billiards places: they take your ID and they hand you the controller. You give back the controller, and get your ID back. That'd work I suppose....

Build a Glass case like you are taking care of a premature infant. The kind with a hole where you stick the inverted glove in and touch stuff, but stuff cant get in or out.

Also, you get to hit someone, thats part of the solution too.

[quote name='guardian_owl']For backwards compatability only if I read an article posted on the long ass thread properly. THe article stated the revolutions games would only use the revolution controller.[/QUOTE]

They also said a shell would be released the looks like a regular controller that the revolution controller slides in to. This is their answer for cross platform games.

[quote name='Tiphireth']Wirecutters take care of those and the pen displays; if someone wanted a Rev controller bad enough, they'd just bring bolt cutters and run. :lol:[/QUOTE]

They wouldn't have the receiver though.

[quote name='valor19']They also said a shell would be released the looks like a regular controller that the revolution controller slides in to. This is their answer for cross platform games.[/QUOTE]
Not entirely sure how well that's going to work as you have to have room for the analog attachment, the remote, possibly another stick, and 5 to 6 more buttons, and still make it comfortable. Guess we'll just to wait till final designs.

Another issue for retail displays is how do you keep the attachment on the bottom of the controller from being stolen? Will they have some kind of metal frame which locks on the bottom portion of the controller, holding the attachment plug in place?

[quote name='chargeup45']This will also be a problem for PS3 and XBox 360 if they decide to showcase wireless controllers. They'll have something planned.[/QUOTE]
I doubt in normal retail store's they'll showcase wireless controllers, otherwise they would be contantly charging then. If they do use wireless controllers, they would still be tether with a power supply rigged to it which kind of negates the purpose of putting out wireless controllers on display :).

Ok here's the thing: If someone wants something bad enough, they're going to get it. Whether it's something as simple as bolt cutters or something more sophisticated like a full-scale burglary, theives can steal almost whatever they want. I'm sure Nintendo wants people to play their systems, and they definitely should have demos for us sceptics to mess around with. So most likely, there will be something that store browsers can play with.

Think of how PDAs or iPods are secured in places like BB, CC, or elsewhere, then add a cord to allow movement, voila! Instant reasonable security on a portable device.

Simple: They put RFID tag connectors in the inside of each controller so they can trace it and where it goes :D

[quote name='Gregory Kimball']There is no receiver.[/QUOTE]
There's a "receiver bar" which contains the 2 sensors, that you put on top of your TV. There haven't been any pics yet because the design isn't as close to final as the controller.

bread's done
Back