Rhythm Heaven General Discussion

leveskikesko

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Rhythm Heaven aka Rythm Tengoku 2, the sequel to one of the most original rhythm games on the gba, Rhythm Tengoku, is coming to the States.

So what's the game like? It's basically Warioware, except the games mostly consist of addictive rhythm challenges you might find in a music game.

http://touch-ds.jp/mediagallery/st95_f.html -Video of the simple and fun gameplay

(it's more fun to play than it looks....at least its predecessor was)
rhythm-heaven-12.jpg
rhythm-heaven-14.jpg

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/15/rhythm-heaven-aka-rhythm-tengoku-gold-announced-for-north-amer/

So basically, hype it up so Nintendo continues to give us more weird games like these!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Nibi']I would rate this a:

Full price / MSRP

on the CAG scale[/quote]

...if it's longer and more difficult than the original, which was the only thing lacking. So glad this is being localized.

I watched the youtube video of the mannequin game from the original RT, I couldn't help but laugh every time I watched them slap the mannequin's head...

The GBA version was ridiculously easy, yet still fun. Still, I'm hoping this new one will provide more of a challenge.

Had to watch a movie to get what this was about, screenshots don't tell me anything.

WarioWare = yes
Rhythm games = plz
Rhythm Heaven = yay!

Oh man, this game is fantastic.

I'm not sure what that two circular buttons at the bottom of the game selection screen lead to (the coffee mug and the coin), and, from the first game, I'm still not sure what that damn number that goes up and down after you play really signifies.

Really fun game, though. Got a perfect on the robot game. :cool:

No clue what that number thing is either. I just know that after a game that sad noise and rain means you failed and happy noise and blue cloud with writing is a pass. :lol:

I assumed the coffee button meant taking a break. Inside that set of menus theres a sound test thing, the tutorial from when you first start up and flick the disc at the frog, then a couple other text things. The coin menus appear to be high score records.

[quote name='Rocko']Oh man, this game is fantastic.

I'm not sure what that two circular buttons at the bottom of the game selection screen lead to (the coffee mug and the coin), and, from the first game, I'm still not sure what that damn number that goes up and down after you play really signifies.[/quote]

I thought that was your overall score or ranking, averaging in your performance on all the stages.

Haven't decided whether to import or buy local. It will probably have a high initial printing, so there's a chance of getting the import version at a reasonable price, like Ouendan 2. I would also rather have the Japanese content intact, rather than having Bon Odori dancers changed into cheerleaders or something similar.

[quote name='CouRageouS']No clue what that number thing is either. I just know that after a game that sad noise and rain means you failed and happy noise and blue cloud with writing is a pass. :lol:

I assumed the coffee button meant taking a break. Inside that set of menus theres a sound test thing, the tutorial from when you first start up and flick the disc at the frog, then a couple other text things. The coin menus appear to be high score records.[/quote]
Well, there's three different paths when a minigame is complete. One means you failed, and you can tell, obviously, because you don't get the next minigame. One, which is I believe two Japanese characters, means you passed, and you get the silver frame. The third is a long string of characters that are colorful for a perfect job, and you get the gold frame.

Those two both make sense. I didn't explore too much.

[quote name='blandstalker']I thought that was your overall score or ranking, averaging in your performance on all the stages.

Haven't decided whether to import or buy local. It will probably have a high initial printing, so there's a chance of getting the import version at a reasonable price, like Ouendan 2. I would also rather have the Japanese content intact, rather than having Bon Odori dancers changed into cheerleaders or something similar.[/quote]
Ah, that could be possible.

I really don't think this will change as much as Ouendan did. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just translated.

The number is your overall ability at keeping in time with the music. It can go up or down.

The coffee goes to various things like tutorials, music player, talking to the "master" who gives you advice, etc (he told me I almost did the robot level perfectly, so I should try it again).

When you play a level, you either fail, get an "average" ranking (which still passes you), or you get a gold medal. The more gold medals you get, the more "instruments" you can play. When you touch the coin menu, you can see all of the instruments and play the ones that you have enough coins for. There's also options for "guitar practice" and stuff, but I haven't unlocked it yet, but I'm guessing you play the guitar like you did with drums in the first game.

An absolute blast to play, just like the first one. I can't stop playing it. Just unclocked the shooting mini-game, and I'm having tons of fun with that trying to get a high score. Haha...

[quote name='Gabers']How's the difficulty? Are the beats still pretty simple?[/quote]

It depends. If you've played the first RT it's harder than that because the touchscreen controls are more involving, you now have to worry about flicking the screen and other neat stuff. It's by no means easy. I'd argue that it's a little hard, but in an enjoyable and reasonable way.

Anyone know what to do on the lizard mating game? I'm seriously confused...

So far I think I'm liking this game more than the gba one, maybe it's that I feel the touchscreen controls feel more natural than the button pressing of the original. Also it's importable, but it takes a little trial and error and sometimes internet help as you can see by my post.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I pretty much beat this game. I've come to the conclusion that it's pretty much importable.

Most minigames are easy to figure out via trial and error in the minigame demos, even if it is literally all Japanese besides your occasional OK that let's you know you did well.

There will be a few that you just won't get, but hey if you're posting here odds are you're able to use the internet freely, so you simply need to head to the first rhythm tengoku gold discussion on some random board to find out what you were doing wrong.

There's really no need to wait for the American version. I guess there could be some little jokes in the text I missed, but I doubt I missed anything too huge or that would amount to the pure joy of the gameplay.

AKA Get it now. The DS is region free, take advantage of that!

I love the first one on the GBA. Do you think i will love this one even more? i want to get this game but do you know the cheapest price to get?

I loved the first one.

And I'm not sure exactly why, but I think I like the sequel more. Maybe it's something about the touch controls, it just feels like it's more involving than the the button pressing because touching the touchscreen just feels that more natural and in some ways more precise. It has new cool stuff like flicking, which I don't think would be possible or at least as enjoyable with buttons. Basically a lot of stuff in this game could be done with buttons, but I personally think it feels better with the touch controls.

As far as music goes, I wouldn't say it's better, but it's definitely on the same level of the first game so that's a good thing. The minigames are just as fun at their core, but made more fun with the touch controls.

Bottom line: If you liked the last game, you're guaranteed to love this one. It's pretty much the same type of game with touch controls. Although don't get me wrong, it'll take some time to get used to certain mechanics such as touch screen flicking. They're not bad, just different. And if you love rhythm games like Parappa, you should get this too.

Hell, everyone should try this, I can't imagine one person not enjoying this type of game. It's a simple concept, and it may look basic, cutesy, weird, or w/e on its exterior, but like Warioware you can't deny how devilishly fun it is!

bread's done
Back