RIAA targets YouTube

Trancendental

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I always wondered which corporate content overlord would be the first to start attacking YouTube with their army of lawyers and now we have the answer, everyone's favorite villan, the RIAA.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/7618.cfm

Really, is anyone not buying the Chemical Brothers boxset of music videos because they can watch a few grainy reproductions on YouTube?

The RIAA should be glad they have a vehicle by which people can watch music videos (AKA advertisements for music) now that MTV has whored itself out to low-cost instant-gratification reality shows. Talk about biting the hand...

[quote name='camoor']I always wondered which corporate content overlord would be the first to start attacking YouTube with their army of lawyers and now we have the answer, everyone's favorite villan, the RIAA.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/7618.cfm

Really, is anyone not buying the Chemical Brothers boxset of music videos because they can watch a few grainy reproductions on YouTube?

The RIAA should be glad they have a vehicle by which people can watch music videos (AKA advertisements for music) now that MTV has whored itself out to low-cost instant-gratification reality shows. Talk about biting the hand...[/quote]

Actually, I've seen hi quality dvd rips on youtube. The most recent in memory was the Ministry of Sound 2005 and 2006 dvds. Plus, with some sites that allow you to tunnel download google, youtube, ifilm, etc. it's actually quite convenient to get high quality content. But I agree that the RIAA should be happy that music videos are conveniently available.

If a music video even gets played on tv, once it goes off the air after a month or so, where else is anyone supposed to see it? I know some bands release dvds with videos, but, only a few. So, after it's off the air, it's basically just gone?

[quote name='thespillcanvas']If a music video even gets played on tv, once it goes off the air after a month or so, where else is anyone supposed to see it? I know some bands release dvds with videos, but, only a few. So, after it's off the air, it's basically just gone?[/QUOTE]
They're supposed to go to iTunes and pay $2 to download it.

The RIAA needs to just stop. They are fighting a losing battle and if they don't adapt to the world changing around them they are going to die.... so um, yeah.... just let them die I guess...

The cat is out of the bag - sharing music and movies is just reality now. It is simple to email CDs to friends or use yousendit or whatever - is the RIAA going to sue yahoo or google or microsoft next for providing email access? Just stop.

Yes there are some things on youtube that shouldn't Be. Like seasons 1-4 of stargate. But after watching a ton of diff shows I ended up buying the season(s) of the ones I liked because youtube got me hooked on them.

The RIAA should just ride shotgun for 2 years and let everything take it's course and try to encourage these types of media distribution (or setup their own form).

ABC has the right idea by putting their shows in their website and placing a few adds in it. If the RIAA took a page from them maybe they would stop fucking themselves over AND gain some public praise. But this would assume that the RIAA wasn't the Jack Thompson of the west coast.

[quote name='Magehart']Yes there are some things on youtube that shouldn't Be. Like seasons 1-4 of stargate. But after watching a ton of diff shows I ended up buying the season(s) of the ones I liked because youtube got me hooked on them.

The RIAA should just ride shotgun for 2 years and let everything take it's course and try to encourage these types of media distribution (or setup their own form).

ABC has the right idea by putting their shows in their website and placing a few adds in it. If the RIAA took a page from them maybe they would stop fucking themselves over AND gain some public praise. But this would assume that the RIAA wasn't the Jack Thompson of the west coast.[/quote]

That's a great idea. I love music videos and would gladly sit through a 20 second commercial to see them if the website was well-run and the videos were high quality. Plus, music vids are basically an advert for music. If it's a hip-hop video, it's also an advert for sneakers, liquor, clothes...

all YouTube has to do is sign a video agreement with each major music company so that the artist and label get their $.XX per click through

then YouTube can put up anything they want

RIAA/Music Industry's biggest mistake was waiting too long to do this and not anticipating better

now everyone is used to putting up video content as they wish, then collecting revenue off that content that they got for free

those days are over

[quote name='PKRipp3r']all YouTube has to do is sign a video agreement with each major music company so that the artist and label get their $.XX per click through

then YouTube can put up anything they want[/QUOTE]
These days, RIAA threats spill over into television and film, naturally -- a bulk of what's on YouTube has been recorded off television. Other "agencies" will start chiming in, and they have already.

[quote name='Brak']These days, RIAA threats spill over into television and film, naturally -- a bulk of what's on YouTube has been recorded off television. Other "agencies" will start chiming in, and they have already.[/QUOTE]

i agree with that

i mostly have experience with short form video and some live footage...

but, yeah the Motion Picture and Television crews have been revving up the legal teams in the bullpen

should be interesting

bread's done
Back