Richmond VA CAGers

I also posted this in the main forums, but Circuit City has slashed their used game prices significantly. It's worth checking out, since the Richmond stores have so many. And a lot of the used games are actually brand new and factory sealed, so there are some deals to be had.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']I also posted this in the main forums, but Circuit City has slashed their used game prices significantly. It's worth checking out, since the Richmond stores have so many. And a lot of the used games are actually brand new and factory sealed, so there are some deals to be had.[/QUOTE]

Be careful of the "new used" games. I've noticed that CC has been able to duplicate the cellophane "folded corners" that most new games are sealed with. I've seen some with the folded corners seal but the case itself had their red "Pre-Owned" stickers on it. Just a heads up.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of price reduction? Its been a while since I checked their games since they were selling most used games for just a couple dollars cheaper than the same new game.

[quote name='bradr']Be careful of the "new used" games. I've noticed that CC has been able to duplicate the cellophane "folded corners" that most new games are sealed with. I've seen some with the folded corners seal but the case itself had their red "Pre-Owned" stickers on it. Just a heads up.[/quote]

That may be true, but they're also putting the red preowned stickers over new games. Like the Tomb Raider Legend I bought, it's absolutely positively a factory seal with the Xbox security strip intact. Who knows why they're doing this. :roll:

I scanned Eternal Sonata for 360, which is 12.99, Ape Escape 3 on PS2 is $4.99, Bioshock 360 was still $29.99.

I don't disagree with you that a few factory sealed games are for sale as pre-owned (probably from people trading them in as flips/thefts so they were never opened). I was just pointing out that CC does have the capability to re-wrap with the cellophane folded corners. The cello wrap was always one barometer I used to tell if it was truly new or not so I was disappointed to find out that there is now the capability for stores to re-wrap with it.

Not exactly a game, but for any of you who happen to be heading out to the east end, check out the N&W Salvage by the airport on Williamsburg Road/Rt 60. They have 8-packs of Duracell 2650 milliamp AAs for $10. Less than 1/2 retail, basically. Nice for cameras, wireless controlers, mice, etc.

(sorry guys, it's a really long one but it's the best score I've ever had)

I know I mentioned this to a couple of posters in the thread who had helped me out before but it's definitely time to get the word out in the open about this since I got my trade-ins done today and found out some values and am done with everything.

Basically, for those who haven't seen it, there's a thread about Hollywood Video/Movie Gallery and something else having all last gen games down to 3.99. There are 3 in town that aren't attached to Gamecrazy's (the ones attached to GC's are apparently not running the sale): Staples Mill north of Hungary in my neck of the woods, Mechanicsville, and one on a street called John Rolfe Parkway just south of Short Pump.

I ran into some initial resistance: the first place I went to (Staples Mill) said it was only for games 12.99 and under, one had to manually enter the 3.99 price (John Rolfe) but it was all worth it as I think all 3 stores were untouched when I first found them. Here's a post I made in the HV/MG thread about some of the issues I ran into during the initial stages of this sale: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5074509&postcount=166

Ok, so here's the final tally from my trips to all 3 Hollywood Videos in the area. Oh, and a trip to the Movie Gallery around 4000 Broad that was mostly fruitless (picked up Sly Cooper as a hole filler since I never got the first one but they had maybe 2 shelves of stuff to 8+ for the HV's).

Also, the disclaimer: if you think this is hoarding, I apologize. I took no more than 1 of any game with a couple of exceptions (I took a pair of a couple of good flippers) and when I did, there was always at least 1 of that game left on the shelf. So there still should be some out there for people.

243.35 Spent

Kept the following for the personal collection:

Playstation 2 :ps2:
Marvel vs Capcom 2 - disc only
.hack (pt 3) Outbreak - complete!
.hack (pt 4) Quarantine - disc only
Suikoden III - missing instructions
Sly Cooper - missing instructions
Final Fantasy XI: Treasures of Aht Urghan - complete!
Yakuza - missing cover art
Magic Pengel - missing cover art
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirit - disc only
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 - disc only
Tales of Legendia - disc only
Dark Cloud 2 - disc only
Wild Arms Alter Code: F - missing instructions
Unlimited Saga - disc only
Crimson Tears - complete!
GrimGrimoire - missing instructions
Metal Slug 4/5 - missing cover art

Gamecube :gc:
Super Mario Strikers - disc only
Lego Star Wars: Original Trilogy - missing cover art
Mario Party 4 - disc only
Simpson Hit and Run - disc only

XBox :xbox:
Ninja Gaiden Black - complete!
Conker: Live and Reloaded - missing instructions; need XBox case
Mortal Kombat Deception - I think it's missing a bonus disc; need XBox case

The rest of these I might end up trading them or flipping them to GS/EB; on the fence about whether to keep them or not, so if anyone has opinions one way or another- to those who have played, any thoughts on which of these are worth keeping and playing?

All Playstation 2 :ps2:
Wild Arms 3 - scratch on disc only game, which I already had. D'oh
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirit - D'oh, got a second copy
Metal Slug 4/5 - Also, d'oh, got a second copy
Phantasy Star Universe - disc only
Dynasty Warriors 3 - disc only
Dynasty Warriors 4 - disc only, scratch on top side of disc
Raiden III - missing cover art
Bloody Roar 4 - missing cover art

For bonuses, you could put this together with the "Trade 5+ games, get an extra 30% credit" at EB/GS. Here's the post I made about trade-in values after my trip to 3 store today:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5089722&postcount=284
Traded in the rest to a couple of GS/EB for 375.54.

I went back to the one on Staples Mill today to see if I could bring a couple back (I stupidly spent $13 on Dark Cloud 2, thinking it was complete when it wasn't and a couple had pretty bad scratches on them). The guy there mentioned that someone came in and got over $300 worth of stuff so hopefully some of you guys in the area got some good deals before the ebayers and hoarders. There still should be some left out there, particularly at the Mechanicsville store unless someone went through and cleaned them out. Also, there's a chance they will pull some stuff from the rental pile and put it into the sale in the next few days, too- there are reports of that going on in the thread.

Looks like I have a day or two of printing out some suitable box art, scrounging up some better DVD cases, and maybe tracking down some instructions on ebay but this was easily my best sale of the year. Anyone know where to score some spare official cases, especially for Gamecube but also the green XBox and the PS2 cases with the memory card holders?

I'll be updating my trading thread shortly as well, either today or tomorrow. Anyone else who got in on this deal or has reports about the area stores, post 'em if you've got 'em. I'm definitely done- don't want to look good karma in the mouth here and I definitely want to be kind to fellow CAG'ers and let them in on the deal. :)

SI

Thanks for the heads up on this deal in the area. I was able to get around to them on Sunday though I was not the one who bought $300 worth. I got some nice games at an awesome price so thanks again sterlingice.

That was the one where I was told that only stuff 12.99 and under was included in the sale (the original time) so I'm glad someone who can appreciate it got the good stuff :D

SI

Ventured out of the city this weekend to visit family in Midlothian. Went by the Waterford shopping center Movie Gallery (near Brandermill) and they have the sale, but it's utter crap. The one on Luck's Lane was advertising the sale but they had NO used games out, at all. A few crappy new games, a lot of 3rd party accessories, and somehow no used games. I even asked the girl working, but she didn't know a thing about it. For all I know they have huge boxes in the back that haven't been put out yet... bummer.

Sorry, Vader. I'm still looking for :ps3:Pure for less than $30. I already bought it at that price b/c I'm afraid they'll get swiped up when they hit low enough and I really loved the demo, but returns are 90 days even on clearance items. I figure 3 months is long enough for it to get lower, so if anyone sees it for less, please let me know!

I hit up about 2 Targets a week, so if there are any games anyone else is looking for, I can keep my eyes peeled, as well.

[quote name='johnnypark']Sorry, Vader. I'm still looking for :ps3:Pure for less than $30. I already bought it at that price b/c I'm afraid they'll get swiped up when they hit low enough and I really loved the demo, but returns are 90 days even on clearance items. I figure 3 months is long enough for it to get lower, so if anyone sees it for less, please let me know!

I hit up about 2 Targets a week, so if there are any games anyone else is looking for, I can keep my eyes peeled, as well.[/quote]Thanks for the info. Just let me know if you run into one, if you don't mind. I'll keep my eyes open for the < $15 price point on Pure :ps3:.:)

[quote name='Vader582']Any Richmond CAGers seen the :360: wireless wheel on clearance at their local Targets?[/quote]

I heven't seen any peripherals other than PS2 controllers on clearance.

The Target on Forest Hill has some nice games on clearance right now-Lego Indiana Jones for 360 @$25, Wario DS @$15, lots of others.

Also the Five Below in that same strip is closing, everything is 30% off right now. A few decent PC games and DVDs, but mostly junk.

Hit up a few stores this morning. Didnt buy much of anything, but here's where I went/what I saw:

Target - Forest Hill (Thanks for the shout Richard) - Definitely a decent selection for a change. I only get 360 or PS3 stuff as I dont have a PS2 or a handheld.

Indy Lego (24.98)
Ninja Gaiden 2 (29.98)
Pure (29.98)

A bunch of various peripherals like batteries for controllers, stupid intercoolers, and other things of that nature.

As for PS3:

The Show 2008 (14.98)
NBA 09 The Life (41.98)
1 copy of Golden Axe (I think 41.98)

There's definitely a few things I'm not including, but I was looking for Mercs 2 on 360 yet it was not clearanced. They had two copies total in the case and they were still full price,

I also checked out the TRU on Quiocassin and they had absolutely jack shit nothing aside from a PS2 Golden Compass lol. There were some non-clearance drops in the regular sections (when the games are in the hard plastic shell things), but nothing truly noteworthy yet. Not worth a trip if you live a distance away. I live within walking distance to it.

Sears at Regency Square - Another absolutely nothing location. Old crappy PS2 titles, but thoroughly picked over and a crapload of DS crap.

Small trip needless to say, but outside of Forest Hill Target, its been pretty dry at most places I usually haunt (Targets on Forest Hill, both Broad stores and Staples Mill, anything near Regency Square as I can walk there I live so close).

BTW Im not a hoarder or flipper. I look mainly to get more stuff to play/collect.

Alright, alright! Everyone needs to stay the hell away from my Target on Forest Hill! :lol:
I dare say we need to keep specific deal talk down to a minimum, as not to feed the lurkers.
If we could get/keep a PM circle going, it might be best.

No. PM circles are stupid and useless. Id rather go into a thread and see a deal listed and not have to circle jerk each other to find something out. I dont play that "Im better than you" BS.

Besides I never post deals until after I've had a look and gotten my fill first lol.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']No. PM circles are stupid and useless. Id rather go into a thread and see a deal listed and not have to circle jerk each other to find something out. I dont play that "Im better than you" BS.

Besides I never post deals until after I've had a look and gotten my fill first lol.[/quote]
Well aren't you a helpful CAGer? :roll:

Who's talking about circle-jerks? I'm talking about keeping the info for people who actually make contributions to CAG.

[quote name='Vader582']Well aren't you a helpful CAGer? :roll:

Who's talking about circle-jerks? I'm talking about keeping the info for people who actually make contributions to CAG.[/quote]

Whats the point? If its to keep it from hoarders its useless as they are rampant in this town and scour the stores all the time, whether they lurk here or not. I dont care about lurkers either. We all lurk in some fashion somewhere. I'd much prefer to come into this thread and see stuff listed rather than "PM me for such and such" crap, especially considering how localized this thread is.

I dont need to be "repaid" to share information. I'm going to post deals when I see them and that IS helpful rather than withholding the information so you can get yours.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']Whats the point? If its to keep it from hoarders its useless as they are rampant in this town and scour the stores all the time, whether they lurk here or not. I dont care about lurkers either. We all lurk in some fashion somewhere. I'd much prefer to come into this thread and see stuff listed rather than "PM me for such and such" crap, especially considering how localized this thread is.

I dont need to be "repaid" to share information. I'm going to post deals when I see them and that IS helpful rather than withholding the information so you can get yours.[/quote]
You're thinking of it as some sort of payment. I'm not. You see a deal, you shoot off a PM. It's simple. The "payment" is that you might have a chance to grab a cheap game before some lurking soccer mom or hoarder.

I think what Vader's getting at is it would be nice to keep the deals to people who want the games as gaming enthusiasts. As you said, archbishop, you like to check it 1st to get what you want before posting. There's probably more than a few people who are just looking to turn a profit on clearance items. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but more than a few people would agree with me that it goes against the spirit of the site if people are primarily flipping or hoarding games.

I think if someone makes a specific request, it's courtesy to PM them before posting it in the thread since they had expressed interest in it. I'm kind of indifferent otherwise, and definitely appreciate you posting what you find, regardless of how you do so.

[quote name='johnnypark']I think what Vader's getting at is it would be nice to keep the deals to people who want the games as gaming enthusiasts. As you said, archbishop, you like to check it 1st to get what you want before posting. There's probably more than a few people who are just looking to turn a profit on clearance items. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but more than a few people would agree with me that it goes against the spirit of the site if people are primarily flipping or hoarding games.

I think if someone makes a specific request, it's courtesy to PM them before posting it in the thread since they had expressed interest in it. I'm kind of indifferent otherwise, and definitely appreciate you posting what you find, regardless of how you do so.[/quote]

I understand what you're getting at and understandably so and agreed. If I see a specific request thats one thing, but I don't feel it necessary to withhold any clearinghouse deal that I find and feel like sharing it, to whomever may read this thread. I'd much rather see something like "lots of good stuff over at ____" than "PM me for such and such info" and have to wait for a response when I can just as easily get off my ass and go as soon as I see something mentioned. I did not see a specific request pertaining to what I found from anyone prior to me posting from my trip this morning, at least not in the last 2 pages. Richard posted they had good stuff at the Forest Hill Target and I posted what I had found in regards to what I normally look for.

Regardless, I enjoy the hunt just as much as the deals. I like going to various places seeing what they have and unless I see something that I am waiting to purchase (which is rare as I dont go unless I have $$ in hand), I prefer to report to save people a trip, moreso than any other reason.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']Regardless, I enjoy the hunt just as much as the deals. I like going to various places seeing what they have and unless I see something that I am waiting to purchase (which is rare as I dont go unless I have $$ in hand), I prefer to report to save people a trip, moreso than any other reason.[/quote]

I hear that and similarly, the reports in the thread are a small part bragging about it to no one in particular (the air, mainly) to go along with helping some I know find deals who have helped me find deals in the past.

SI

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']There is an XBox 360 wheel at the Midlothian Tnpk Target for $70. Box is pretty beat up though. I remember someone here was asking about them.[/quote]
That was me! Thanks for the tip.:D

The new Target at White Oak hills on Laburnum in east end has the same old stuff.
ninja gd and bejing olympics for 360
guiatr hero aerosmith for ps3

Used some of that HV trade-in credit and went to the Northpark store. Found a lot of collection fillers that I had been wanting for a while for about $150 after edge and B2G1.

:gc: Luigis Mansion
:gc: Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
:xbox: KOTOR 2
:xbox: Ninja Gaiden
:wii: Zelda: Twilight Princess
:ps2: Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
:ps2: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 PES
:ps2: .hack, part 1: Infection
:ps2: .hack, part 2: Mutation
:ps2: Wild Arms 5 (CE)
:ps2: Grandia Extreme
:ps2: Sly 3

SI

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']I grabbed a Battlefield Bad Company today for $12.48, so I guess that last batch of games finally went 75%. You have been warned.[/quote]

Location? Platform?

I swear the Target at Commonwealth Centre never has anything drop really cheap, I'm beginning to think the employees hoard them when they go really low or something

Hey all, I just wanted to say hi.

I'm Gavin, I work at the Play N Trade in Carytown here in Richmond, VA.

Currently we have Wii and Wii Fit in stock I believe.

Currently, I have Dragon Force w/ RAM cart on Saturn and other etc. etc. etc.

Just sayin' hello. Come on into the store! You can play just about any game you can think of!

[quote name='fettmaster']Hey all, I just wanted to say hi.

I'm Gavin, I work at the Play N Trade in Carytown here in Richmond, VA.

Currently we have Wii and Wii Fit in stock I believe.

Currently, I have Dragon Force w/ RAM cart on Saturn and other etc. etc. etc.

Just sayin' hello. Come on into the store! You can play just about any game you can think of![/quote]

Don't know much about Play N Trade. They're kindof new on the scene and aren't a part of the EB/GS/etc monopoly. I'm curious to see how things go for them and how their prices are comparatively.

SI

Well, I'm back at UVa (in Charlottesville) so I'm pretty much out of the loop for a while. I got nothin'. I did sell my Rock Band 1 instruments last month for $60 on craigslist though, which was decent.

Has anyone been to the Play 'N Trade in Colonials Heights yet? Better than GameStop?

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Well, I'm back at UVa (in Charlottesville) so I'm pretty much out of the loop for a while. I got nothin'. I did sell my Rock Band 1 instruments last month for $60 on craigslist though, which was decent.

Has anyone been to the Play 'N Trade in Colonials Heights yet? Better than GameStop?[/quote]

I haven't been there yet. My brother has though. He said he likes it better, just that they don't have a built up selection of used games yet.

Lots of strike outs Wednesday and yesterday

FYE at Virginia Center Commons- no games at all, so no clearance

FYE at Regency Square Mall- no games at all, so no clearance
Sears at Regency Square Mall- looks pretty picked over, not sure about what's in the case, tho
KBToys at Regency Square Mall- not even there any more; must have missed when that closed

Toys R Us across the street from Regency Square Mall- no Hotel Dusk or DS Browser, which were all I was looking for

So, yeah, a whole lot of nothing.

SI

Meant to post this as soon as I got home last night but completely forgot so this is probably useless news :(

The Target on Staples Mill between Hungary and Parham had 2 Wii Fits in stock. I think that's the first time I've actually seen then in the retail wild.

SI

So, with Circuit City collapsing, has anyone hit up the stores around Richmond?

I went to the Gaskins Road store yesterday, all games/movies were 30% off. I'm hoping to go back and find 40-50% off, has anyone seen anything higher than 30% so far?

[quote name='johnnypark']So, with Circuit City collapsing, has anyone hit up the stores around Richmond?

I went to the Gaskins Road store yesterday, all games/movies were 30% off. I'm hoping to go back and find 40-50% off, has anyone seen anything higher than 30% so far?[/quote]

That's my closest one- it looked like they had a decent amount of stuff left, but it as only 30-50 (with a few exceptions like tvs at 20). At 40, I was thinking about jumping on a few things (since at 50, stuff starts flying off the shelf).

Silly thing for most of you, but I was trying to get the free Pokemon this week at the Toys R Us on Parham and it didn't seem like the signal was on Sunday. No "No More Heroes" there, either. Picked up Guitar Hero: Decades for $20, tho.

I'll probably go by again today and try again. Also, maybe check out CC again today.

SI

The CC's around here are crap for the most part. Its still doing ok gamewise and movie wise, but as of Tuesday, it was still 30% and most anything else was extremely picked over and things like laptops were only 10% off. The Short Pump/Broad St. location was an absolute mess and I may hit up the Gaskins store this morning.

The one good thing about CC is if they do pre-owned games. The Short Pump store does and those were at 40% off. However, a lot of them are priced above retail. Be warned however, I picked up a copy of COD3 (yea I know its old, but it was $6 and I never go to play it before) and when I took it home, it looked like the disc had been carved into and was completely unplayable. However, I also got DOA4 at the same price (preowned) but it was brand-new and marked as pre-owned. It's a risk with those and with the no returns deal, you could be fucked. They had a crapload of Halo 3 Limiteds on pre-owned, but I think the risk may be too great as they marked at 49.99 and with the problems those had upon ship, I bet more have problems than not. The preowned selection is also getting very picked over, but I did see quite a bit of good titles on PS3 preowned.

Other than that, went on a Target run as well. Not much to crow about. The Libbie store had Nascar 09 at 14.98 and Facebreaker at 9.98 so I picked those up, that was about a week ago now. The Broad St store over the weekend had absolutely nothign worth mentioning IMO. Yesterday, hit up the Forest Hill store and grabbed Ace Combat 6 (14.98 they had 1 other) as well as Too Human for 19.98 (had a few) They also had a few copies of Fracture for 19.98, but I passed on that. All of these are 360. I saw very few PS3 titles at all. Forest Hill also had Mercs 2 at 14.98, but they're in the case. Brothers in Arms (the newest one) and Tomb Raider Underworld were also clearanced, but still above 40 and in the case. Everything else was at the endcap. I saw plenty of Facebreakers at every one and those are down to 9.98 at least at two (Forest Hill and Libbie).

----

Oh yea to the dude who posted on the previous page about Regency Square area stuff. I live within walking distance to RSM. I'm not a hoarder or anything like that so dont worry lol, but that Sears has been picked over for the last 4-5 months now. Its f'in terrible. TRU is hit or miss, mostly miss in that same time frame.

The Circuit City at Midlothian still has a lot of games, but nothing much on clearance. I picked up a few of the $12.99 value games for $9, but that was it. Someone ripped through the used games pretty well, I suspect that the used games may have been marked down before the liquidation and the actual prices are much lower than the stickered price.

Sears at Chesterfield Town Center is awful, tons of games in the value bin and none on clearance.

Yeah, never found anything good at Sears around here. Disappointing after hearing all the great finds from people on the site in other areas.

Agreed, Midlothian CC has mostly crap, very disorganized and still not cheap enough. Saw the used games but they're all marked up, and it's obvious they never kept up with lowered MSRPs. Some of the used prices were higher than standard retail!

I'm optimistic about Gaskins for some reason. They seemed to be more on top of things and better organized, though I'll wait til it hits 40%. Anyone been to the VCC store yet?

Oh I forgot the Midlo CC has a ton of 360 Elites for around $320. I was tempted but the copyright date on the box was 2007, so I assume that they are all pre-Jasper models. I'm waiting on a deal on a Jasper, to reduce the chance of RROD.

I'm thinking about checking out the WHite Oaks CC later this week, thinking that they may have some goodies left, if for no other reason than hardly anyone knows the store exists.

Quick question Richard, did you see any Live points cards at the Midlo CC? I need to make a trip there, but if they are out I won't even waste my time. Also, a friend in Northern VA said that they were telling him that Live points were not available for liquidation price yet I have seen other post on CAG about people getting them for that price, so can anyone around here confirm one way or another?

bread's done
Back