Rightstuf.com - Escaflowne Limited Edition TV DVD Box Set (Hyb) + Toy - $70

Is the story and animation good? What style is it? Is it just giggly, big eyed, cutesy girls or is there some adult content. When I say adult content I mean a plot or storyline, not in sexual content. Is it more for kids or is it appealing to adults as well?

Animation was very good, at least for the time, a lot of new anime of course makes it pale by comparison. Character designs might throw some off, the noses are exagerated but that is intentional , I stopped noticing after 5 minutes.

The story is high drama with war and robot battles thrown into it. It is a love story sort of but after all was said and done it was also a coming of age tale. The main character Hitomi does grow emotionally during the story along with others.

I don't really want to say it is an adult title because I think I just have a different definition of what that would be. Something like Boogiepop Phantom would be adult to me. But it isn't like Pokemon or anything, it is overall pretty serious.

Edit: This is a pretty good review and I didn't spot any huge spoilers.

http://www.ex.org/1.2/03-escaflowne1.html

[quote name='Goodtone']Is the story and animation good? What style is it? Is it just giggly, big eyed, cutesy girls or is there some adult content. When I say adult content I mean a plot or storyline, not in sexual content. Is it more for kids or is it appealing to adults as well?[/quote]
Yes, and yes. Escaflowne is one of the few competent fantasy anime programs I've ever watched. There's very little cutesy stuff to be found (with the exception of a few lighthearted Merle scenes), and the storyline is geared more towards adults who aren't just looking for another mindless adventure show. An interesting side-note, Escaflowne was received far better by American audiences than it was in Japan. Good stuff! This is an awesome deal.

http://animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=240

[quote name='Goodtone']Thanks, that helps.....Is the Movie or the TV series better?[/quote]
Edit: The movie is a far darker retelling (some people prefer to call it a bastardization) of the TV series. Beautifully animated, but don't bother yourself with it, unless you can find it on the cheap.

The movie is vastly different, I doubt it would work as well without having seen the t.v series. Alternate retelling sure but part of the fun is seeing how different the characters are. Otherwise it is just a mindless action fic with gorgeous animation.

[quote name='Goodtone']Name your top 5 Anime DVD's to check out for good "adult appealing" story, and good animation.[/quote]

Ugh, you've made things difficult, with your "adult-appealing" rule. I guess I'll have to exclude the more lighthearted stuff, even though I might find it better than alot of the anime on this list...

1. Revolutionary Girl Utena
2. Fullmetal Alchemist
3. Cowboy Bebop
4. R.O.D (including both the Read or Die OAV and R.O.D The TV)
5. Neon Genesis Evangelion

(I didn't include movies in here, by the way.)

Haha wow years of watching anime now and I can only think of 3 that I actually liked.
Jin-Roh
Grave of the Fireflies
Perfect Blue

A lot of people also love Lain, I found it to be extremly boring though. But i'm apparently in the minority there.

Gasaraki is a political drama with giant robots, where at least a few of the problems were solved behind a desk. But again I just found it to be boring, but considering it can be had for around 30 for the legit version on ebay you might want to try it out.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon'][quote name='Goodtone']Name your top 5 Anime DVD's to check out for good "adult appealing" story, and good animation.[/quote]

Ugh, you've made things difficult, with your "adult-appealing" rule. I guess I'll have to exclude the more lighthearted stuff, even though I might find it better than alot of the anime on this list...

1. Revolutionary Girl Utena
2. Fullmetal Alchemist
3. Cowboy Bebop
4. R.O.D (including both the Read or Die OAV and R.O.D The TV)
5. Neon Genesis Evangelion

(I didn't include movies in here, by the way.)[/quote]

I wanted to throw Bebop out there but the series has a lot of filler eps to wad through before getting to the very good ending . Evangelion is a good choice if you look at the motivation for the characters at times.

Thanks, I will have to look into watching some of these....In what order should I watch the Neon Genesis Evangelion series. Do I need to know the backstory in a certain order?

[quote name='coolsteel']I wanted to throw Bebop out there but the series has a lot of filler eps to wad through before getting to the very good ending .[/quote]
I always thought that the filler episodes were far more fun and entertaining than any of the "plot-related" episodes. The whole show is like Lupin III for a new generation. Fun stuff.

[quote name='Goodtone']Thanks, I will have to look into watching some of these....In what order should I watch the Neon Genesis Evangelion series. Do I need to know the backstory in a certain order?[/quote]
Edit: Watch all 26 episodes of the TV series in sequential order, of course. After that comes the Death/Rebirth film (which is essentially a recap of the TV series, so you may want to ignore it), followed by End of Evangelion.

Evangelion needs to be watched in order, it will not make a lick of sense otherwise. So series, then movies.

As for Bebop's filler eps, oh I enjoyed them as well, "Toys in the Attic" almost made tears come from my eyes from laughing so hard but at the end of the day the episode was still filler. I've noticed some people are turned off by the episodic nature of the series. I couldn't even get my best friend to give it a chance because of it.

Have any of you watched these? They are not anime, but animation:

Fantastic Planet
Light Years
Fire and Ice
A Mouse and His Child
Heavy Metal
Rock and Rule
Wizards
American Pop
Heavy Metal 2000

It's pretty decent but not as good as the first Heavy Metal....

You should check into all the stuff on my list there. Those are some really good ones to watch...Wizards just came out on DVD and I picked it up at Best Buy for $9.99 which is an incredible deal.

I've seen light years, infact my local video store sitll carries a copy, very wierd and awsome at the same time, with all the mutant people and the huge future brain, great stuff.

In terms of Evangelion watching. I didn't really get the last 2 episodes (I think it was last two, definitely last one) until I had seen the movie. So you may want to either watch the movie before those, or at least go back and watch them after seeing the movie.

I still need to finish seeing Evangelion. But anyway, I think Escaflowne is a great anime and one of the best I've seen imo. Highly recommended.

Sorry I have to add this in here. Everyone go see Berserk then read the manga...that is all...thank you.

[quote name='CrimGhost']Sorry I have to add this in here. Everyone go see Berserk then read the manga...that is all...thank you.[/quote]

I second, third, fourth and so fourth that fully :D

EDIT : Also I'd really like to get that box set but $70 is still too much for me :cry:

bread's done
Back