Rightstuf Geneon Sale - Select DVD/CD's $5/10/15 each! - [DEAD]

Hmm, I'll have to look right now. One gripe with rightstuf: I'm on all their mailing lists and the like, but by the time they bother to email you on the sale I've already heard about it here and other places hours and some times almost a day ago. They should really work on that.

Well the sale has it positives and negatives. If you missed any individual volumes during the last Geneon sale, most of them are here. Most series that were not included there are 10 or 15 per volume, which is a slight sale to a bad deal for most of them. All dvd+box are now 10 or more, getting rid of one of the nicest parts of the last deal. So it is worth a look certaintly, but its not exactly a new, gamebreaking sale. The Geneon stuff should slowly become more and more hard to find over time, so it is not a bad time to pick stuff up. I picked up Gankutsou 2, 4-6 (annoyingly 3 is already out of stock) at 10 bucks each, I, My, Me Strawberry eggs 1,2,4 (to complete my run) at 5 a pieace and Kannazuki no Miko 3 for 5 bucks. Pretty good deal.

I have volumes 2 & 3 of the original release of X. I see they only have the remix disks in the sale - do the episodes line up the same? I hate how they never list what episodes are on a disk.

If they're different, is it worth $10/disk to buy the whole series? Is that a good price?

Chill, all I picked up was the Gungrave 1 w/ artbox since that's all I'm missing. Got the whole series and I'd like to have it tucked away in that nifty box ^_^

I was debating picking up the Trigun Remix DVD's but I'm hoping for a collection set like the Cowboy Bebop Remix collection.

I almost ordered 1-4 of Hellsing, but I decided 26 shipped on 4 discs is too much for me. (Man, I've gotten cheap thanks to you guys.)

I ordered...

Fighting Spirit: Champion Road
Haibane Renmei 1-4
Texhnolyze 1-6 (with artbox)
Vandread 1-4
Vandread: Second Stage 1-4

All for $100

The only other things I was interested in were Ergo Proxy 2-6 (which I am hoping for a slightly better price one day), DearS 1-4 (volume two sold out so I am holding off), and a few artboxes, especially for Last Exile, and Doki Doki, but I live without those artboxes since I already have the entire series for those. Awesome getting all of Vandread for $40. :D

[quote name='Grico']Well the sale has it positives and negatives. If you missed any individual volumes during the last Geneon sale, most of them are here. Most series that were not included there are 10 or 15 per volume, which is a slight sale to a bad deal for most of them. All dvd+box are now 10 or more, getting rid of one of the nicest parts of the last deal. So it is worth a look certaintly, but its not exactly a new, gamebreaking sale. The Geneon stuff should slowly become more and more hard to find over time, so it is not a bad time to pick stuff up. I picked up Gankutsou 2, 4-6 (annoyingly 3 is already out of stock) at 10 bucks each, I, My, Me Strawberry eggs 1,2,4 (to complete my run) at 5 a pieace and Kannazuki no Miko 3 for 5 bucks. Pretty good deal.[/quote]

Bahhhhh I read Strawberry Eggs as Strawberry Marshmallow - I already own both, but I hadn't heard of a Strawberry Marshmallow v4 so I rushed over to see what it was (was suspecting the OAV eps...), and then realized my mistake. :(

I'm debating whether I want to bite the bullet on DearS for $25... Decent deal, but not amazing. Where the hell is Azumanga v6, it's so out of print it's nowhere these days for less than $13, sigh.

...or, I guess it doesn't matter, DearS is out of stock.

Was also tempted by Mahoromatic Summer Special with box, but season 2 sucked, so I'll never fill the box anyway...

[quote name='argyle']I have volumes 2 & 3 of the original release of X. I see they only have the remix disks in the sale - do the episodes line up the same? I hate how they never list what episodes are on a disk.

If they're different, is it worth $10/disk to buy the whole series? Is that a good price?[/quote]

They're different. There are only 5 remix discs while the series was originally one 8 discs. I really enjoyed the series. I think $50 is pretty good (but that may be because I spent $240 on it years back).

[quote name='ChibiJosh']They're different. There are only 5 remix discs while the series was originally one 8 discs. I really enjoyed the series. I think $50 is pretty good (but that may be because I spent $240 on it years back).[/QUOTE]

Thanks. This was my order then:

Fighting Spirit TV Special (only one I was missing)
Lain 1-4
X Remixed 1-5

$75 total, shipped. Not too bad I don't think. Now to figure out where I can get the best trade-in value for these 2 disks of the old X series...maybe FYE?

I was tempted by the Hellsing and Vandread dvds, but they aren't high on my priority list and I'd rather buy box sets anyway. I am tempted by the ZOE box set, which isn't part of the sale but is down to $20. I'm also tempted by the RahXephon OSTs.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I ordered...
Haibane Renmei 1-4[/QUOTE]

Great pickup, that's probably still my favorite dramatic series.

[quote name='AquaHaute']Great pickup, that's probably still my favorite dramatic series.[/quote]

Yeah, a lot of people recommended it in the anime thread in the off-topic forum. I just missed out last time because I spent about $700 during the last Geneon sale and my wallet needed a break. :lol:

Damn this time difference! By the time I woke up this morning, Strawberry Marshmallow 3 was already sold out. Oh well, at least I finally filled the holes in my Lupin and Kyou Kara Maoh collections.

Man, the site is getting hit hard all of a sudden. I guess people love their cheap Anime. I picked up the rest of Mao-chan and Bottle Fairy. Gulity pleasures FTW!

Nuuu, I missed out on all the pretty art boxes...:( And Sakura movie #1 is gone...aww...At least I picked up Championship Road for $5. Too bad Champloo is half out of stock...

Seriously, righstuf needs to send out their emails earlier...all those art boxes...

Yeah I missed out on on the Jubei Chan 2 box, and Chobits volume 1. >_<

eh well, my order:

Ah! My Goddess the Motion Picture DVD (Hyb) (*) 1 $10.00
Chobits DVD 2 (Hyb): The Empty City (*) 1 $5.00
Chobits DVD 3 (Hyb): Darkness Descends (*) 1 $5.00
Chobits DVD 4 (Hyb): Love Defined (*) 1 $5.00
Chobits DVD 5 (Hyb): Disappearance (*) 1 $5.00
Chobits DVD 6 (Hyb): My Only Person (*) 1 $5.00
Daphne in the Brilliant Blue DVD 1 (Hyb): Initiation (*) 1 $5.00
Daphne in the Brilliant Blue DVD 2 (Hyb): Reunion (*) 1 $5.00
Daphne in the Brilliant Blue DVD 3 (Hyb): Getaway (*) 1 $5.00
Daphne in the Brilliant Blue DVD 4 (Hyb): Revenge (*) 1 $5.00
Daphne in the Brilliant Blue DVD 5 (Hyb): Treasure (*) 1 $5.00
Daphne in the Brilliant Blue DVD 6 (Hyb): Memories (*) 1 $5.00
Daphne in the Brilliant Blue DVD 7 (Hyb): Regenesis (*) 1 $5.00
Jubei Chan 2 DVD 1 (Hyb): Resurrection (*) 1 $5.00
Jubei Chan 2 DVD 2 (Hyb): Vendetta (*) 1 $5.00
Jubei Chan 2 DVD 3 (Hyb): Revelation (*) 1 $5.00
Jubei Chan 2 DVD 4 (Hyb): Unification (*) 1 $5.00
--------------------
Item Subtotal: $90.00

I've spent WAY too much money this week. :(

Which is the better version of Trigun? I have been wanting to pick this series up for a while but should I pick up the signature series or the remix set?

Any info on the differences would be appreciated.

[quote name='cubs2321']Which is the better version of Trigun? I have been wanting to pick this series up for a while but should I pick up the signature series or the remix set?

Any info on the differences would be appreciated.[/quote]
The signature series is just a repacking of the original. The remix has 5.1 audio, so it's the better version to pick up.

[quote name='deathscythehe']The signature series is just a repacking of the original. The remix has 5.1 audio, so it's the better version to pick up.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Probably going to pick up the trigun remix set plus the akira deluxe edition and steelbook appleseed. I have been meaning to pick up Akira and Appleseed for quite a while now but never got around to it.

[quote name='cubs2321']Thanks for the info. Probably going to pick up the trigun remix set plus the akira deluxe edition and steelbook appleseed. I have been meaning to pick up Akira and Appleseed for quite a while now but never got around to it.[/QUOTE]

Remix has some other additions as well, the most significant is that the original Japanese version had different openings each episode which were not in the original release. They were restored for the Remix version.

Darn, missed this yesterday and missed out on the boxes for Gungrave, Texhnolyze, and Ultra Maniac. Also most of the Tenjho Tenge volumes are OOS. Hopefully we'll see stuff come back in stock.

Ended up grabbing a few things in the meantime:

Fighting Spirit TV Special
Kyo Kara Maoh 5-9
Mahoromatic Summer Special + box
Requiem for the Darkness 1+box
Tokyo Underground 1+box
Total: $60

[quote name='Alien Spider']Yeah I missed out on on the Jubei Chan 2 box[/quote]

Yeah, they actually had a couple of those in stock a few days before the sale. I had put it in my "save for later" list on Rightstuf. I was really tempted to get some boxes but I just can't see paying $10 for a box for a series I have all the DVDs for to begin with. I was really tempted though.

I had my eye on Tenjho Tenge volume 6 for about a month, hoping a Geneon sale was coming, but the stock level was at 40 on Monday so I ordered it then. If I had waited until yesterday I could have saved 4 bucks! :lol:

I'm supposed to find out what my bonus is this year on Monday so that will determine if I get anything else or not.

[quote name='ya0']why can't gankutsuou be five each :cry:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I ended up just bitting the bullet and buying it at 10. I started to get a bit worried that if I didn't buy it soon the supply will be completely dried up. Still need to find vol. 3 somewhere though as it was sold out.

JUDGEMEEEEENT! What do you do, buy that copy of Strawberry Marshmallows and try to convince your friends that moe played absolutely no factor in it's purchase or do you take the recommendation of another CAG and check out the Gregory Horror Show? Make your decision!

I'm sure just about everyone is going to over look this title as it looks like CGI crap, but I hope to convince a few people to try out the Gregory Horror Show. People who likes intelligent dark comedy should check it out. It's not really anime in the general sense even though it's made in Japan and it's animated. Fans who likes the gothic noir of Touch Detective, the off brand humor of Azumanga Daioh and the twisted intelligence of Death Note would probably get a kick out of this series. One really cannot say much about the series without really ruining the enjoyment of it. There are some eps on youtube if you want to give them a view before buying, but watching the video game walkthough would probably make more sense than the random eps that are up there. There are three discs at $5.00 a DVD each and a bargain as I never really see them below $10 on ebay and I doubt there will ever be a box set. Thanks op for the sale, as I finally managed to get a set of them for myself!

I picked up the last two volumes of Last Exile so I can finally watch that.
All of Hakkenden since I read about it somewhere like 5-6 years ago and have wanted to watch it ever since.
The first El Hazard OAV because that's somewhat old school and thought about checking some of that series out for awhile.
And Popotan because I have guilty pleasures just like everyone else.

Damn, missed out one some good stuff cause I was playing rock band with my friend all day the day the sale started. I was interested in Fafner, but most of that is gone. Oh well.

my order from yesterday
1 $10.00 * pd12529 Fafner DVD 1 (Hyb): Arcadian Project
1 $5.00 * pd12531 Fafner DVD 2 (Hyb): Ultimate Sacrific
1 $5.00 * pd12533 Fafner DVD 4 (Hyb): New Divergence
1 $5.00 * pd12534 Fafner DVD 5 (Hyb): Rebirth
1 $5.00 * pd12535 Fafner DVD 6 (Hyb): Next Evolution
1 $5.00 * pd12536 Fafner DVD 7 (Hyb): Going Home
1 $15.00 * pd12538 Heat Guy J DVD 4-Pack Box (Discs 4-7)
1 $10.00 * pd12300 Samurai Champloo DVD 7 (Hyb)

had I noticed this when the sale first started I would have picked up a few anime sets like gungrave (with artbox) but since all the "with artbox" dvds are gone I'll have to skip all together....

Let's see...

First Order [Otherwise Known as "The Only Order"]
Tenchi Muyo OAV 2, 3, 4
Total: $15 (+$5 Shipping)

Not amazing, but had to fill in that gap in the ol' collection and $5 a pop was certainly better than around $15 each elsewhere.

Second Order [Otherwise Known as "Well, They'll Disappear Otherwise..."]
Master Keaton 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Gungrave 2
Mermaid Forest 4
Requiem from the Darkness 2, 3
Total: $50 (Free Shipping)

I picked up Keaton for myself since I heard nothing but good things and I could use something a bit different. Everything else was for my brother to fill up further holes in his collection and to hit that free shipping mark. I'll be damned if I'm spending a DVD or two on shipping costs. ;)

Will there be a third order? Nah, unless Gankutsuou wants to make a miraculous price drop anytime soon. Otherwise I'm just about set on Geneon releases that I want, save for missing most of Champloo and Gank.

In for the Captain Harlock DVDs, Lain 3+4, Mahoromatic Summer Special, and Appleseed SE. Most of the other stuff I wanted was sold out... but is still on Amazon for cheap.

Note: They restocked. I managed to finally find New Getter Robo 4 (1-3 were around for a while but...) and I do believe Gankutsuou got a lot more copies in, especially of 3.

Good luck. My wallet cries.

Managed to get the Texhnolyze and Ultra Maniac boxes, plus Tenjho Tenge 3-8 (2 was still OOS) and X Remix 1-5. Still hoping for that Gungrave box!

[quote name='ya0']why can't gankutsuou be five each :cry:[/quote]

Because $10 is just fine for an A+ series like that.

Another good recommendation: Master Keaton for those that like MacGyver crossed with a bit of Sherlock Holmes. $5 per volume, 8 volumes total.

Anyone know a discount code?

[quote name='Watchman']Because $10 is just fine for an A+ series like that.

Another good recommendation: Master Keaton for those that like MacGyver crossed with a bit of Sherlock Holmes. $5 per volume, 8 volumes total.

Anyone know a discount code?[/quote]
Rightstuf doesn't do discount codes on already discounted items. The only discount you can get in general with rightstuf is the gotanime membership, which still can't be used here.

Azumanga Daioh Graphic Novel Omnibus
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi OST
Strawberry Marshmallow DVD 1 (Hyb): C
Strawberry Marshmallow DVD 2 (Hyb): S
Strawberry Marshmallow DVD 3 (Hyb): W

i know the omnibus isn't a dvd, but i just HAD to get free shipping. funny how its the most expensive item. their marketing trickery worked!

bread's done
Back