Ripping a DVD

ninjaspeedrazor

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
Hey guys,

I just got a DVD burner and I was wondering what I had to do to rip a DVD. Do I need a specific software program or should I be able to do it straight out of the box?
For the record, I'm not trying to pirate any movies, I am a video production major and it's so I can make copies of my demo reel to send out with my resume. I made the original DVD with the school's equipment, I don't have DVD Studio Pro on my laptop and I'm graduating/moving this weekend, so ripping is my only option to make multiple copies at home. Thanks a lot guys!

[quote name='ninjaspeedrazor']Hey guys,

I just got a DVD burner and I was wondering what I had to do to rip a DVD. Do I need a specific software program or should I be able to do it straight out of the box?
For the record, I'm not trying to pirate any movies, I am a video production major and it's so I can make copies of my demo reel to send out with my resume. I made the original DVD with the school's equipment, I don't have DVD Studio Pro on my laptop and I'm graduating/moving this weekend, so ripping is my only option to make multiple copies at home. Thanks a lot guys![/quote]Well you need to download a DVD Decrypter. Theres a couple out there (DVD Decrypter,AnyDVD, theres a couple more just google it). You could make an ISO and host it and just tell people to download and burn or you could burn a few copies. I personally would convert it to MPEG and just email / host it. DVDs are probally your best bet though.

[quote name='F8X']Well you need to download a DVD Decrypter. Theres a couple out there (DVD Decrypter,AnyDVD, theres a couple more just google it). You could make an ISO and host it and just tell people to download and burn or you could burn a few copies. I personally would convert it to MPEG and just email / host it. DVDs are probally your best bet though.[/quote]

Thank you so much!

[quote name='F8X']Well you need to download a DVD Decrypter. Theres a couple out there (DVD Decrypter,AnyDVD, theres a couple more just google it). You could make an ISO and host it and just tell people to download and burn or you could burn a few copies. I personally would convert it to MPEG and just email / host it. DVDs are probally your best bet though.[/quote]
Requiring any action on the recipient's part, such as downloading a large file just to view his work, would ultimately work against him.

Make it as easy as possible for people to check out your stuff, mail out DVD's that you've verified work with a couple of different dvd players.

Also agree about afterdawn.com. I personally use Nero to make copies of unprotected dvds.

[quote name='velvet396']Requiring any action on the recipient's part, such as downloading a large file just to view his work, would ultimately work against him.

Make it as easy as possible for people to check out your stuff, mail out DVD's that you've verified work with a couple of different dvd players.

Also agree about afterdawn.com. I personally use Nero to make copies of unprotected dvds.[/quote]

I hadn't planned on hosting my demo reel, I figured that mailing out DVD's would be the easiest way for any potential employer to view some of my work. Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it!

[quote name='ninjaspeedrazor']Hey guys,

For the record, I'm not trying to pirate any movies, I am a video production major and it's so I can make copies of my demo reel to send out with my resume. I made the original DVD with the school's equipment, I don't have DVD Studio Pro on my laptop and I'm graduating/moving this weekend, so ripping is my only option to make multiple copies at home. Thanks a lot guys![/QUOTE]

Uh...correct me if I'm wrong, but if all you want to do is copy a DVD that you produced yourself (ie. it is not CSS encrypted), then all you have to do is treat it like a DATA DVD and copy it with Roxio or Nero or CDBurnerProXP in Data mode.

You only need a ripper if you are trying to copy a CSS encrypted DVD.

bread's done
Back