Rise of the Argonauts (I) for XBox 360 - $14.90 - Gogamer.com

Is this game worth it? I know it got some early hype but was supposed to be pretty bad.

Definitely the International version.

I am totally down to buy this if someone can confirm english is included. Also how do the cases and artwork differ with these region frees?

This game was on my radar but then I heard it did poorly. I would think I would like it, but of course I will wait for English confirmation.

Thanks OP, in for 1. It's a game I'd like to try so $18 shipped is a good enough price.

Looks like it's the UK version, so hopefully I can trade it in when I'm over there in December.

EDIT - For those waiting on English confirmation, that copy in the picture has a UK "18" rating on it, which means its sold in the UK, which means it has English support.

[quote name='cdietschrun']This game was on my radar but then I heard it did poorly. I would think I would like it, but of course I will wait for English confirmation.[/QUOTE]

You should grab it. It has a great story with well done voice acting a la Mass Effect. My only complaint was that it was a bit too short, lasting only 12 hours or so.

Still, I've replayed through twice now and was glad to pay 60 for it.

I'm in for one, thanks OP! Do you guys know if the UK versions of games have any type of gore restriction or are they usually the same as the US version?

I enjoyed the game and it does run better when installed onto the XBox hard drive. It stutters too much when run direct from the disc when loading areas. The frame rate drops to wtf levels during encounters and randomly. These problems are minimized when run from hard drive but are still present.

fighting the urge, i probably would not play it right away and by the time i wanted to i feel i could just grab it elsewhere.......hmmmmm

Are you sure it is region free? GG shipped me a PAL version of Fracture and gave me a hell of a time trying to return it. I ordered it from a black friday sale and was still hassling with them mid January to get reimbursed for the shipping fees I incurred trying to return it.

Here's a choice back and forth:

Me: I should not expect that I would have to pay anything for an error on GoGamer's part (shipping me a PAL format game when I ordered NTSC format).

GG: The correct item was shipped out to you Fracture (I) for XBox 360 under your order and it was returned back to us brand new so we went ahead and credited you back for it without a restocking fee as listed on the web site.

Me: Actually [name removed], no. A *PAL* version of Fracture was shipped to me. The item I ordered (
http://www.gogamer.com/Fracture--I-...VproductId57952191VVcatId444710VVviewprod.htm)
is shown on the website as the *NTSC* version, and being in North America,
that is the version I need. You can see the difference in the ESRB rating
on the boxart - PAL versions do not use the same rating system.
So to summarize:
I ordered NTSC Fracture for the 360
I was shipped PAL Fracture for the 360
I paid shipping to return PAL Fracture for the 360
I was credited only for the price of the game, sticking me with $4.03
shipping costs for GoGamer's error.

I eventually did get my shipping refunded, but it was a giant pain.

I'd stay away from this deal.

Well this one is well marked as the "International" version, so as long as everyone is aware that it's a PAL copy that you probably won't be able to trade it in the US, I think it's ok.

I checked Play Asia and both the US and Asian versions are Region free so I think its safe to assume this is as well.

[quote name='erectiontown']if this a UK game, it most certainly would be PAL, which you can't play on your tv, regardless of region[/QUOTE]

That's not true at all. If It's region free, then your machine and TV will play it even if it's the PAL version. I have the PAL version of Fracture and it plays on My US 360, and displays on my NTSC TV without any issues.

[quote name='erectiontown']if this a UK game, it most certainly would be PAL, which you can't play on your tv, regardless of region[/QUOTE]

That was only true back in the day, I have many region free PAL 360 games and they all play fine on my US TV and US 360.

As do NTSC games on my UK TV and UK 360.

First of all the game is region free so it will work on NTSC consoles (US ones).

International Versions (in this case PAL) of a game do not do the video conversions / output. The console's CABLE is the one that does the output as the console itself will output to all versions (NTSC, PAL, NTSC-J) but its the cable that does all the work. You can have a PAL console with a NTSC video cable and it will work on US TVs, same goes with a JP/Asian console. The same thing applies to the power supply. You need a US power supply to get power to any of the 3 different consoles.

I took a quick look and there were two other interesting titles in the sub $20 search.

http://www.gogamer.com/AC-DC-Live--...VproductId73976549VVcatId444939VVviewprod.htm

AC DC Live Rock Band Track Pack Xbox 360, which I thought was a Walmart exclusive for $16.90 plus shipping, which is STILL cheaper than you can get it from Walmart.

Also,

http://www.gogamer.com/Stormrise--I...VproductId73976552VVcatId444939VVviewprod.htm

Import version of Stormrise Xbox 360 for $14.90 plus shipping. I know most RTS's don't work well on consoles, but thats a pretty recently released title, I think end of March.

Called the Customer Service number(took awhile to search it through google) and the guy confirmed it would work in an ntsc console. If it didn't, I would get reimbursed, including shipping.

Be careful what reviews you consider when deciding whether to buy this game. I just checked out a few reviews on youtube and found that the more critical reviews were tied to reviewers, judging by the footage of combat, who just sucked at the game -- and probably most games, I would bet. A couple of the more positive review videos usually showed the reviewer to be much more competent at handling the combat portion of the game, which definately makes a difference in how fun the game looks. The bad reviewers make the game look clunky and like it controls poorly, while those reviewers who exhibited some skill produced footage of smooth combat and well-linked combos.

This game is definitely worth $15 plus shipping. I agree that many of the reviews were overly critical of it. It has a solid fighting system, interesting dialogue trees, and a very good story that takes some interesting liberties with Greek mythology. It's a shame to see quality titles like this take a beating they don't deserve.

[quote name='loomis1975']I took a quick look and there were two other interesting titles in the sub $20 search.

http://www.gogamer.com/AC-DC-Live--...VproductId73976549VVcatId444939VVviewprod.htm

AC DC Live Rock Band Track Pack Xbox 360, which I thought was a Walmart exclusive for $16.90 plus shipping, which is STILL cheaper than you can get it from Walmart.

[/QUOTE]

That is interesting, I also thought it was Walmart exclusive. I'm on the fence still as I've cooled on GH and RB lately but good eye.

[quote name='KRS']Are you sure it is region free? GG shipped me a PAL version of Fracture and gave me a hell of a time trying to return it. I ordered it from a black friday sale and was still hassling with them mid January to get reimbursed for the shipping fees I incurred trying to return it.

Here's a choice back and forth:

Me: I should not expect that I would have to pay anything for an error on GoGamer's part (shipping me a PAL format game when I ordered NTSC format).

GG: The correct item was shipped out to you Fracture (I) for XBox 360 under your order and it was returned back to us brand new so we went ahead and credited you back for it without a restocking fee as listed on the web site.

Me: Actually [name removed], no. A *PAL* version of Fracture was shipped to me. The item I ordered (
http://www.gogamer.com/Fracture--I-...VproductId57952191VVcatId444710VVviewprod.htm)
is shown on the website as the *NTSC* version, and being in North America,
that is the version I need. You can see the difference in the ESRB rating
on the boxart - PAL versions do not use the same rating system.
So to summarize:
I ordered NTSC Fracture for the 360
I was shipped PAL Fracture for the 360
I paid shipping to return PAL Fracture for the 360
I was credited only for the price of the game, sticking me with $4.03
shipping costs for GoGamer's error.

I eventually did get my shipping refunded, but it was a giant pain.

I'd stay away from this deal.[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to be mean, but you did order the PAL (i.e. International) version. The picture on the website is wrong, but the title clearly shows (I). As other people are saying, the version you returned works just fine in North American consoles. To be clear, games marked with (I) will play just fine, just some friendly advice. :)

Also, I have nothing but praise to give GoGamer.com. Awesome deals and customer service. I would definitely recommend Argonauts.

[quote name='AlienEye']I'm not trying to be mean, but you did order the PAL (i.e. International) version. The picture on the website is wrong, but the title clearly shows (I). As other people are saying, the version you returned works just fine in North American consoles. To be clear, games marked with (I) will play just fine, just some friendly advice. :)

Also, I have nothing but praise to give GoGamer.com. Awesome deals and customer service. I would definitely recommend Argonauts.[/QUOTE]

wow thank you for putting that in perspective. i thought the original post had meant gogamer sent him a version that didn't work and fooled him.

I'm glad I called the customer service and got more accurate information.

This dropped two dollars in price for today's holiday sale.

Edit: I wasn't going to buy this for anything less than $12, but Troy was on TV last night and it gave me a huge craving to play RoA. $15.89 shipped isn't terrible.

Yeah, I picked it up on the sale this morning with the AC/DC I mentioned earlier. Even if I never play it, my wife is into these types of games heavily.

I bought "Rise of the Argonauts" (I) and it works perfectly in the NTSC format and in an American Xbox360. Even though it says PAL, it seems to work. It is true what GoGamer says. If it says (I) then it will work in your North American system.

[quote name='Ensign Deadmeat']I bought "Rise of the Argonauts" (I) and it works perfectly in the NTSC format and in an American Xbox360. Even though it says PAL, it seems to work. It is true what GoGamer says. If it says (I) then it will work in your North American system.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I ordered Rise of the Argonauts (I) for 360 from one of the madness sales and it works just fine on my US xbox 360. It is the PAL version from the UK.

I also ordered the (I) versions of Stormrise and EndWar and they both work fine as well. They are NTSCJ (Japan) versions.

I don't think GG would sell stuff that doesn't work in the US since they only ship to the US.

Anyone else still waiting for their games from this sale? I think 2 weeks is a little excessive if you charge me shipping. USPS tracking is worthless, it only says the received it the day it was shipped, no other updates...

EDIT

Scratch that, I just got an email saying they haven't shipped it yet, even though they claimed they had two weeks ago. Never using this company for anything again, the last order they shipped the wrong item, this time they dont' even ship anything.

I inquired today about my order that supposedly shipped on the 6th, they replied back that the order wasn't shipped because one of the games, AC/DC 360, is not released yet. Wasn't listed as a pre-order when I added it to Argonauts in the cart, and it didn't stop them from billing the whole order amount out on the day the system thought they shipped the order.

Oh Well, mistakes happen. I will continue to use Gogamer.com. They are a PC-game boon that is giving more and more console love.

bread's done
Back