Rise of the Planet of the Apes: Apes Rule the weekend box office!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this isn't a reboot, is it? I thought it was supposed to be a prequel to the original Planet of the Apes, not a different series entirely. (Although I guess they could easily remake the first one again and have it be a reboot.)

[quote name='Access_Denied']Correct me if I'm wrong, but this isn't a reboot, is it? I thought it was supposed to be a prequel to the original Planet of the Apes, not a different series entirely. (Although I guess they could easily remake the first one again and have it be a reboot.)[/QUOTE]

yeah hes right from the bit i skimmed over it looks like a sort of reimagining where the apes becomes smart due to some drug and from there they take over. could be cool i guess if its gory enough. i just hope they keep the ape/human flirting to a bare bones minimum. that bit with marky mark and the ape scientist who had the hots for him in the ape film he did was very creepy.

I didn't really like the movie so not sure if this new one will make any difference. But guess I'll still watch it out of curiosity. :|

[quote name='paulina7m']I didn't really like the movie so not sure if this new one will make any difference. But guess I'll still watch it out of curiosity for some hot ape sex. :|[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Me too.

To me this looks like the telling of how it all happened for the last move back in 2001 or so.

This is a whole heap of nonsense. They've basically bought the "PotA" branding rights. I'll grant the Apes movies from top to bottom aren't necessarily the best source material, but FFS man, at least do something more than slap the title on there.

The only good thing to come out of this is that it makes me want to watch PotA again. Chuck Heston, baby. "You damn dirty ape!" Then I'm going to watch Omega Man.

[quote name='dothog']This is a whole heap of nonsense. They've basically bought the "PotA" branding rights. I'll grant the Apes movies from top to bottom aren't necessarily the best source material, but FFS man, at least do something more than slap the title on there.[/QUOTE]

Yup.

It makes you wonder who they're selling this film to.

I mean, with the Trek "reboot," I get that, I get that non-trekkies might have an interest in a sexier Trek. But do they really think that Planet of the Apes would put asses in seats if only X, Y, and Z? Complete waste of money. Give me that dough and let me make Hudson Hawk 2.

[quote name='dothog']This is a whole heap of nonsense. They've basically bought the "PotA" branding rights. I'll grant the Apes movies from top to bottom aren't necessarily the best source material, but FFS man, at least do something more than slap the title on there.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. Isn't the whole point of the ending of PotA that we nuked ourselves and in the aftermath, the (presumably mutant) apes rose up? Although it doesn't look too bad, the prequel doesn't fit that at all. Then again, I really don't remember much about the later movies, so who knows.

[quote name='trq']I was thinking the same thing. Isn't the whole point of the ending of PotA that we nuked ourselves and in the aftermath, the (presumably mutant) apes rose up? Although it doesn't look too bad, the prequel doesn't fit that at all. Then again, I really don't remember much about the later movies, so who knows.[/QUOTE]

They weren't mutant apes.
(Oh boy, I know more about this than I care to admit.) In the third or fourth film it after the two apes had traveled back in time (yes). It was shown that a virus had wiped out all of the worlds pets (yet). People then turned to apes and domesticated them. Apes were used as slave labor and kept in prisons.

the son of the two future apes (Cesar) leads a revolt of the apes against humanity, thus giving us "the planet of the apes"

Featuring one of my favorite lines "Just because I am not human, doesn't mean I can't be humane."

[quote name='trq']I was thinking the same thing. Isn't the whole point of the ending of PotA that we nuked ourselves and in the aftermath, the (presumably mutant) apes rose up? Although it doesn't look too bad, the prequel doesn't fit that at all. Then again, I really don't remember much about the later movies, so who knows.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it gets pretty weird, the whole series of Ape films taken together. I'm going on memories from over 25 years ago, so I may be off. This will be fun to try and recount.

1. The first one is them coming to the Earth 2000 years older than the Earth they left (~1970s). Ooops, shoulda spoilered that.
  2. The second one is another crew from 1970s Earth coming to find Chuck and the Boys and winding up in the 3970s (I guess) Earth, too. Turns out monkeys have da bomb and they're willing to use it. Chuck gets hardly any screen time, but it's still good just to see him looking studly. What a guy.
  3. The third one is where it gets even weirder, the two "good" apes fix up a spaceship and somehow go back in time to the present day (1970s), where they get to party with Ricardo Montalban and the guy who plays Victor Newman on Young and the Restless. Talking apes, people can't believe it. It's an outrage!
  4. The one after that (fourth) is fuzzy, I'd have to look it up. This one would have to describe how smart monkeys came to be in "present day" earth. I'd have to google it. I am POSITIVE that it was not through genetic engineering, I think something happened to make monkeys be everywhere, and the monkeys from future earth started helping the present day monkeys realize their potential. I guess this 4th movie is technically where the re-make fits in?
  5. The last one (fifth) is definitely about the wars between these new smart monkeys and man in present day. The movie finishes open ended, but based on what we know from the first, we know that monkeys won and humans took to the fields to dress skimpy and look sexy if Chuck Heston makes eyes at you.

That's all I got. As a 9 or 10 year old, I had a friend whose family was the only family in our neighborhood to have cable, and one of the channels he had used to show the Ape movies all the time. We watched them a lot just because, hey, you can't go wrong with monkeys. For some reason I always associate them with fancy cable TV, sneaking over to that kid's house so we could watch Ape movies during the day.

Anyhow, yep, they're completely going off the canon with this movie. It's not like we're talking about some literary stuff here, but they should at least make an attempt. It's easier just to rewatch the old movies, it's more fun anyhow. I doubt the later ones have aged well, but the first one holds up really well. That's a great flick, an all-time favorite.

EDIT: hey alright, eldergamer! You beat me. I'm glad I was close, at least.

The movie is out now.

The reviews for it are pretty good.

Just came back from seeing it. Very good movie.

Good acting, story and special effects. The apes looked very life like at times.

If your sensitive to animal cruelty, just be prepared..not too bad though.

a number of references to the original class movies that you have to look out for

-There is a scene where one character says a very famous line from the first movie and that drew a cheer from the crowd.

I would have liked the ending scene to show a fleet of helicopters coming towards the apes and Ceaser and his apes preparing to fight them.

- ALZ-113 is also deadly to humans as it seems to kill faster.

I was kind of surprised that apes that broke into the lab didn't steal the new batches of 113 to help evolve other apes.

There are a number of ways the sequel can play out.

The ALZ virus kills off most of the human population causing the apes able have a fighting chance against the humans.

The Icarus (which is shown in a paper headline to have been lost in space), may return after being transported thru a space anomaly to a future where the apes have taken over the planet, echoing the first original movie.

[quote name='ITDEFX']The movie is out now.

The reviews for it are pretty good.

Just came back from seeing it. Very good movie.

Good acting, story and special effects. The apes looked very life like at times.

If your sensitive to animal cruelty, just be prepared..not too bad though.

a number of references to the original class movies that you have to look out for

-There is a scene where one character says a very famous line from the first movie and that drew a cheer from the crowd.

I would have liked the ending scene to show a fleet of helicopters coming towards the apes and Ceaser and his apes preparing to fight them.

- ALZ-113 is also deadly to humans as it seems to kill faster.

I was kind of surprised that apes that broke into the lab didn't steal the new batches of 113 to help evolve other apes.

There are a number of ways the sequel can play out.

The ALZ virus kills off most of the human population causing the apes able have a fighting chance against the humans.

The Icarus (which is shown in a paper headline to have been lost in space), may return after being transported thru a space anomaly to a future where the apes have taken over the planet, echoing the first original movie.
[/QUOTE]

Watched it today and I liked the movie very much. I was disappointed when they announced it because I had no hopes for it but when the good reviews begin to surface I knew I had to watch it.

I watched the original POTA movies when I was a kid so I always had questions that may have been addressed but I can't remember. I always wondered how this revolution took place and how the humans with all of their weapons were defeated.

I think the Apes didn't take the rest of the 113 batch because they were primarily interested in rescuing the other Apes. I think it wasn't so much about taking over as it was about being free and helping the other Apes. You can see Cesar wanted to leave the sanctuary with Will but decided to stay so he could help the rest of the Apes. The fact that the Virus is out and is going to wipe out most of the human population is a good explanation as to why the Apes were able to take over. I also think they made a point in showing the different personalities in some of the main Apes. I can see a sequel where other Apes like the one with the scar on his face want to kill the remaining humans while other Apes like Cesar want to help them out.

Goddammit, now I have to see this. I really didn't want to. But the reviews are decent, and if I sat through Tim Burton's Apes movie I should at least sit through this one.

At least there's no pouty face Marky Mark this time around.

[quote name='blindinglights']This movie was really good, much better than the 2001 movie.[/QUOTE]

The 2001 movie was pretty good...I dunno where the hate is coming from on that one...because it had Mark Waulburg?

[quote name='ITDEFX']The 2001 movie was pretty good...I dunno where the hate is coming from on that one...because it had Mark Waulburg?[/QUOTE]

More like it having a shitty script,characters,and acting.Also the ending was just fucking terrible.

Word, Master20k. The visuals were the only good thing about the film. Everything else fell flat. It was just a flat, boring movie, and the ending sucked balls.

That's the part that really pisses me off: the ending. Let's set aside the act of remaking a sci-fi B-movie classic, let's pretend that's an awesome idea for the moment. If you're going to remake the bastard, why change the ending? I can see that maybe you want to distinguish yourself from the original somehow, but with everything else that's wrong, why pick on the ending?

You don't see that your lead sucks balls, that the story is hardly there, that you've stripped away the dialogue that made the original work and replaced it with punchy action and romance that doesn't fit...you somehow miss ALL of that, but somewhere along the line you decide to change the ending?

It's not a good film. That's not comparing it to the original, either. There's no comparison there. It's not a good film next to Winnie the Pooh or Marvel Comics Movie #4000 or Tyler Perry's Medea's Trip to the Nail Salon by Tyler Perry or the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants Vol 3.

The ending to the 2001 film was similar to the ending of the original Planet of the Apes novel. In any case, I definitely like the ending to the 60's movie better.

[quote name='themaster20000']More like it having a shitty script,characters,and acting.Also the ending was just fucking terrible.[/QUOTE]
Oh and don't forget we got monkey tits. 100% Hairy and out in the open monkey tits.

bread's done
Back