Risen 2 Dark Waters SE preorder $44.99 (PS3 only so far) at Amazon

After seeing these 2, it feels like we're getting jipped.

risen2ce.jpg

Risen-2-Dark-Waters_Collectors-Edition_ps3.jpg

The disc locked DLC is nothing amazing. Of the 3 DLC Treasure Island, the one that you do get if you pre-order the SE, is the best and even that is pretty blah, it's only the direct ties to your companion Patty and a few nice lines of dialog at the end that sort of make it worth it.

The other two DLC are seriously not worth it. Maybe it you get them on sale for a couple of dollars but it's absolutely not worth holding off getting the game over. Let me be clear that the base game itself is a full game. You aren't missing much without the pirate clothes or Air Temple DLC.

The pirate clothes are just a cosmetic item. You can get better stat items and equally as cool looking ones in the base game. The pirate clothes are really only good for when you are running around in the second area (well 3rd if you count the brief time you spend in Caldera in the beginning). You won't be able to use them until you're pretty much ready to leave Tacarigua and then once you get done the area beyond that you can buy better clothes.

Air Temple is basically go to some island, kill a few monsters, then go back to 6 other locations you've already been to kill a few more creatures on each of them, then you're done. It's really short, like takes an hour or so short, and it just feels really tacked on and doesn't tie into the main store well at all (Treasure Island sort of does but you get that when you pre-order). The only story part of Air Temple worth anything is that it features a character from Risen 1, but I doubt many people played that game on the console anyway. He has a little bit of dialog, will accompany you as a companion on the one small island and short quest where Air Temple takes then he just stays on your ship but you can't use him as a companion and he doesn't say anything worthwhile after that.

I fully agree it was a dumb thing they did to put the DLC on the disc and release DLC this soon but honestly don't feel like you are missing out by not having it because I can tell you you're not.

The keg CE from Poland looks nice but it's also PC only AFAIK. I ended up importing the German Steelbeard's Treasure CE which is similar to the Polish one in that it comes with the gnome figure, but there's no keg and it comes in a nice cardboard box made up to look like a treasure chest. Again that edition is PC only though and pricey FWIW. I paid twice as much as this PS3 edition and you guys are still getting most of the content I got save the box, the gnome, and the other two DLC, the latter of which honestly aren't worth much anyway.

http://www.amazon.de/Risen-Dark-Wat...NFKI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1338645802&sr=8-5

I played this at PAX East in late March. Unless they changed some things this will be sub-20 in no time flat. Major frame rate issues and bad controls abound

[quote name='Motoki']The disc locked DLC is nothing amazing. Of the 3 DLC Treasure Island, the one that you do get if you pre-order the SE, is the best and even that is pretty blah, it's only the direct ties to your companion Patty and a few nice lines of dialog at the end that sort of make it worth it.

The other two DLC are seriously not worth it. Maybe it you get them on sale for a couple of dollars but it's absolutely not worth holding off getting the game over. Let me be clear that the base game itself is a full game. You aren't missing much without the pirate clothes or Air Temple DLC.

The pirate clothes are just a cosmetic item. You can get better stat items and equally as cool looking ones in the base game. The pirate clothes are really only good for when you are running around in the second area (well 3rd if you count the brief time you spend in Caldera in the beginning). You won't be able to use them until you're pretty much ready to leave Tacarigua and then once you get done the area beyond that you can buy better clothes.

Air Temple is basically go to some island, kill a few monsters, then go back to 6 other locations you've already been to kill a few more creatures on each of them, then you're done. It's really short, like takes an hour or so short, and it just feels really tacked on and doesn't tie into the main store well at all (Treasure Island sort of does but you get that when you pre-order). The only story part of Air Temple worth anything is that it features a character from Risen 1, but I doubt many people played that game on the console anyway. He has a little bit of dialog, will accompany you as a companion on the one small island and short quest where Air Temple takes then he just stays on your ship but you can't use him as a companion and he doesn't say anything worthwhile after that.

I fully agree it was a dumb thing they did to put the DLC on the disc and release DLC this soon but honestly don't feel like you are missing out by not having it because I can tell you you're not.

The keg CE from Poland looks nice but it's also PC only AFAIK. I ended up importing the German Steelbeard's Treasure CE which is similar to the Polish one in that it comes with the gnome figure, but there's no keg and it comes in a nice cardboard box made up to look like a treasure chest. Again that edition is PC only though and pricey FWIW. I paid twice as much as this PS3 edition and you guys are still getting most of the content I got save the box, the gnome, and the other two DLC, the latter of which honestly aren't worth much anyway.

http://www.amazon.de/Risen-Dark-Wat...NFKI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1338645802&sr=8-5[/QUOTE]

Wow, thanks for all the great info!!!

[quote name='Kuma']I played this at PAX East in late March. Unless they changed some things this will be sub-20 in no time flat. Major frame rate issues and bad controls abound[/QUOTE]

Well they patched the PC version a little bit ago that among other things added a roll dodge maneuver and the ability to block creature attacks both of which help the combat loads. I'm assuming that's getting rolled over into the console versions. They were originally scheduled to ship in April with the PC version but they must have known they needed some work still and delayed them.

bread's done
Back