Rising Dairy prices affecting anyone?

Reality's Fringe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
As you may (not?) know, on Saturday dairy farmers raised the prices of milk due to the increased demand and shortened supply from Australia. I was just wondering if anyone has seen any high milk prices, like gasoline. Since my diet has swung to include lots of dairy, the new prices could end up taking a toll on my wallet like rising fuel prices:

Cheese
Cottage Cheese (LOTS)
Skim/1% Milk(LOTS)
Whey Isolates(LOTS)
Caesin Protein(LOTS)

I know it's kind of stupid to be on about, but when you're in college, every dollar counts to an excruciating degree.

No, but I did notice the other day that a gallon of milk (store brand) was $4.99. That is f'ing insane. They wanted nearly $7 for the "premium" brand.

One thing that is killing my wallet is the price of corn. The price goes up, then the price of beef goes up, as does many other things.

Hell, groceries in general are outrageous now, even when only compared to a year ago.

[quote name='mtxbass1']No, but I did notice the other day that a gallon of milk (store brand) was $4.99. That is f'ing insane. They wanted nearly $7 for the "premium" brand.

One thing that is killing my wallet is the price of corn. The price goes up, then the price of beef goes up, as does many other things.

Hell, groceries in general are outrageous now, even when only compared to a year ago.[/QUOTE]

Interesting that yous hould mention corn, as it is the main reason the prices have risen for milk. With rising fuel costs, a lot of corn has been sold for Ethanol which increases the price for cow feed causing a trickle down effect. I have a personal distaste for the ethanol "solution", but that's neither here nor there.

And I agree, $4.99 for milk? I don't think I can afford that. Seriously.

Reality's Fringe;3078876 said:
Interesting that yous hould mention corn, as it is the main reason the prices have risen for milk. With rising fuel costs, a lot of corn has been sold for Ethanol which increases the price for cow feed causing a trickle down effect. I have a personal distaste for the ethanol "solution", but that's neither here nor there.

And I agree, $4.99 for milk? I don't think I can afford that. Seriously.

Rising corn prices are the reason that beef prices have gone up as well. Most cuts have gone up at least $0.50 per pound (if not more) in the past 6 months.

For me, it's not so much the money, as it is the principle. Milk used to regularly be $1.99 a gallon.

thats brutal I've already had atleast a litre and a half of milk today. Glad I dont have to pay for it yet. I'd be broke, I love milk.

I love me some milk, but its gone all mainstream and apparently now its only for the rich and priviledged. I only can afford Malk now.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95XOdki-FN4[/media]

[quote name='mr ryles']Time to start putting orange juice in your cheerios.[/quote]

You haven't seen the price of orange juice lately have you? Go check it out sometime.

Does the premium stuff really taste that much better then the store brand milk? I've never tried it on account of the 30%-50% price difference.

The price of breastmilk has skyrocketed. New mothers are now like drug dealers. "Gimme some of yo titty, bitch, GIMME THAT SWEET TITTY JUICE!"

[quote name='Mattte']Wow $5 is brutal...and I was pissed about it going up 70 cents to $3.19[/quote]

Damn, $3.19 in cow country? I would have expected $1 a gallon honestly.

here sunday

Store brand --- scotts, walmart -- meijers 2.49 to 2.88

Deans on the other hand was like 3.99 or 4.50

you got a scan for that 5 buck milk cause i dont belive it. Maybe it was suger free milk or some special type of milk BUt i doubt normal milk is 5 bucks per gallon (Store brand)

well that is unless you live in cali where everything is insane in price

our family would be royal #$#$# if store brand milk hit 5 bucks here. THey drink between a gallon to 1 1/2 gallons per day (5 people) noone drinks pop and some do drink water but its 90% milk

[quote name='cletus']Does the premium stuff really taste that much better then the store brand milk? I've never tried it on account of the 30%-50% price difference.[/QUOTE]

IMHO I think the store-brand milk tastes better then the premium. The thing I have noticed is that the companies that use the opaque containers to protect the vitamins doesn't taste as good. But the store brand in the clear containers taste better. It might be because I grew up with the clear jugs of milk, and I'm used to that flavor. The white jugs of milk they just started doing a year or two ago around me even though some places have been doing it for years.

But because of milk prices, and the fact that I'm the only one that drinks it in my house. I haven't had any in a month or so. Last time I bought a jug it was $4.50

[quote name='cletus']Does the premium stuff really taste that much better then the store brand milk? I've never tried it on account of the 30%-50% price difference.[/QUOTE]

i find premium brands spoil a lot faster then store brands

I know dairy farms , once i open a gallon it will go back within 12 hours

[quote name='slidecage']i find premium brands spoil a lot faster then store brands

I know dairy farms , once i open a gallon it will go back within 12 hours[/QUOTE]

what? Milk takes two weeks at least to go bad. I find that they spoil at the same rate. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later. Every cow is different.

Yeah, with two kids and both my husband and I as milk drinkers, it hurts as much as gas prices. Although usually our store has a special where if you buy $20 worth of anything, you can get 2 gallons of the store brand for $6.00. Regular price is $3.99 a gallon.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']i pretty much stopped drinking milk, just aint natural drinking another animal's milk[/quote] but its ok to EAT that animal?

(unless you're a vegetarian of course)

Unfortunately my Asianity doesn't allow me the luxury of milk products very often.

I guess it's a good thing now.

I say blame it on hurricane katrina... Thats what the crazy lady at the hallmark store said when I recoiled at the price of decorative candles for a gift.

Reality's Fringe;3078831 said:
As you may (not?) know, on Saturday dairy farmers raised the prices of milk due to the increased demand and shortened supply from Australia. I was just wondering if anyone has seen any high milk prices, like gasoline. Since my diet has swung to include lots of dairy, the new prices could end up taking a toll on my wallet like rising fuel prices:

Cheese
Cottage Cheese (LOTS)
Skim/1% Milk(LOTS)
Whey Isolates(LOTS)
Caesin Protein(LOTS)

I know it's kind of stupid to be on about, but when you're in college, every dollar counts to an excruciating degree.

I noticed that it was up while shopping this weekend. I buy Silk soy milk though. Regular milk would just make me shit my pants.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']but its ok to EAT that animal?

(unless you're a vegetarian of course)[/QUOTE]

animals eat other animals, no animal drinks milk after they become adults.

nah thankfully im not big on dairy anymore. i only drink soy milk which is pricey already and i dont eat chease too often nor icecream so ive seen the price for gallons of milk go up im not too worried about it.

I wondered what the hell was going on last night. I went to get a gallon of skim milk, and it was 29 cents higher than normal.:bomb: $2.48/gallon here at Jewel.

Unfortunately my Asianity doesn't allow me the luxury of milk products very often.

Huh?!

Nevermind. I just did some research:

Why can’t many Asians tolerate milk?

Many Asians cannot tolerate drinking milk or eating dairy products (cheese, chocolate, cakes, ice cream, etc), which make them feel bloated, gassy and cause stomach discomfort as early as a few minutes after ingesting them. This is due to lactose intolerance caused by Lactase deficiency. Lactase is an enzyme that helps digest milk and milk products. Since many Asians do not drink milk while growing up, the Lactase enzyme production in their body is greatly reduced. As adults, they have Lactase deficiency and are unable to digest milk and dairy products properly. This causes the symptoms described above upon intake of milk and milk products. Today, there is Lactaid (Lactase) tablet, which could be taken during or immediately before drinking milk and dairy products to aid in their digestion for a symptom-free event.

Wow, reading this thread, I'm wondering how it will effect us. Usually, we pay between $2.50 - $3.00 a gallon. But, haven't bought a gallon in about a week or so (I heard it was going up).

I really hope that food prices don't start bouncing around (for no good reason) like gasoline does. If I start having that bill double, it's going to be a bitch on my budget.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']These rising milk prices are gonna put Captain Crunch out of a job. He's gonna end up on the streets of Baltimore, giving handjobs for smack.[/QUOTE]

Guess you'll have some competition then.

$3.19 i can deal with, however if it goes up to $5 a gallon i'm definitely gonna feel it. I go thru (by myself) about 2 gallons every week and a half. :cry:

[quote name='CouRageouS']I love me some milk, but its gone all mainstream and apparently now its only for the rich and priviledged. I only can afford Malk now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95XOdki-FN4[/quote]

I laughed out loud man! Hahahaha. oh man.
Haven't seen that scene in so long. Completely forgot about it. :lol:

Milk around here is damn near $7.00 for two gallons. Store brand.
High $3.xx for the store brand.

[quote name='shieryda']Why can’t many Asians tolerate milk?

Many Asians cannot tolerate drinking milk or eating dairy products (cheese, chocolate, cakes, ice cream, etc), which make them feel bloated, gassy and cause stomach discomfort as early as a few minutes after ingesting them. This is due to lactose intolerance caused by Lactase deficiency. Lactase is an enzyme that helps digest milk and milk products. Since many Asians do not drink milk while growing up, the Lactase enzyme production in their body is greatly reduced. As adults, they have Lactase deficiency and are unable to digest milk and dairy products properly. This causes the symptoms described above upon intake of milk and milk products. Today, there is Lactaid (Lactase) tablet, which could be taken during or immediately before drinking milk and dairy products to aid in their digestion for a symptom-free event.[/quote]

So THAT'S why Eriko didn't like milk!
She thought it was so strange that I'd have a cold glass of pure milk.

I just re-read the OP. Why the fuck are we getting milk from Australia?! We don't have enough cows in the US to keep up with demand? Canada is a lot closer, if we need to import milk. And how has demand suddenly increased?

[quote name='Graystone']what? Milk takes two weeks at least to go bad. I find that they spoil at the same rate. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later. Every cow is different.[/QUOTE]

dont really know why BUT i know every time we buy dariy farms milk up at walgreens and open it up , If we dont drink the entire gallon that night it will be spoiled come morning. We have gotten milk from 4 different walgreens and all the milk does this.

Now their store brand deerfeild doesnt

dont know if cheap plastic or what on dariy farms

[quote name='dallow']You have f'ed up Walgreens'.[/QUOTE]
Seconded. :shock:

The last time I bought milk at CVS, it was $2.19 for a gallon. So far, I haven't noticed an increase in prices here yet, though I know it's coming.

Maybe it's a good thing I'll be 21 in a few months. Beer may actually be cheaper than milk at that point. :whistle2:(

[quote name='Strell']Guess you'll have some competition then.[/quote]The difference between my cock and The Captain's is that mine doesn't cut the roof of your mouth. At least, you're mother's never told me it does.

[quote name='shieryda']I just re-read the OP. Why the fuck are we getting milk from Australia?! We don't have enough cows in the US to keep up with demand? Canada is a lot closer, if we need to import milk. And how has demand suddenly increased?[/quote]

didnt they limit or stop cow products from coming in from canada due to an outbreak of mad cow disease? i hear milk is pretty expensive in hawaii already before this so id be interested to see how high it gets. but its not so much the milk but the feed they use to get the cow makin it i think i recall hearing it on the radio last week. and yeah i didnt know the chinese could drink milk whey im not surprised theyd eat but powered milk and what not is a shocker.

This is an interesting topic for me. I live on a farm currently and have been living on one since I was about 7 years old. I live in Illinois and farm about 1600 acres of corn and soybeans with my dad and grandpa. We also raise about 2400 hogs a year. I just want to make one correction from an earlier post, we (farmers) don't actually change the price of our commodities (corn, beef, ect.). These prices are set by the amount of futures contracts that are bought and sold on the CBOT (Chicago Board of Trade) and the CME (Chicago Mercantile Exchange). The price is also affected by the amount of commodities that are traded in real life. Farmers really have very little say in what the price of commodities are. The majority of a farmer's yearly income is based on these changing prices in the futures market. I have a Associates Degree in Agriculture Business Management, so between that and farming for a living I have some experience in this area.

This stuff can be kind of confusing at first for some people. A basic way to look at the futures market is to think of it as a cousin to the stock market. They both share a lot of the same ideas and principles.

Ok so back on topic about the price of dairy, I don't know if it will go down this summer but I don't think it will go up that much either. The reason for this is that last week a big crop report came out saying that there are more acres of corn planted this year than what was expected. This will drive down the price of corn some, at least in the short term. As of this moment today I think corn is already down 15 cents per bushel. This should in theory help stabilize the price of beef somewhat. Only time will truly tell I guess. The futures market is really nothing but one big crapshoot.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']These rising milk prices are gonna put Captain Crunch out of a job. He's gonna end up on the streets of Baltimore, giving handjobs for smack.[/QUOTE]

Isn't "smack" another type of cereal? I always knew the captain couldn't have been eating his cereal for all these years, the roof of his mouth would be completely raw.

[quote name='levi333']Isn't "smack" another type of cereal? I always knew the captain couldn't have been eating his cereal for all these years, the roof of his mouth would be completely raw.[/QUOTE]
F25-2509113-4100bg.jpg

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']The difference between my cock and The Captain's is that mine doesn't cut the roof of your mouth. At least, you're mother's never told me it does.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what that last sentence says, for I speak the English.

However, what I know is that Captain Alvador Sampson Crunch (that is his real name, few people speak it from fear of dark premonitions) contains the mighty Crunchberries in his pants, which are large and quivering with flavor.

Which means he instantly wins over one who has no berries in his pants, specifically of the man variety.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']i pretty much stopped drinking milk, just aint natural drinking another animal's milk[/QUOTE]

We humans have been doing it for thousands of years. Plus I'll take cows milk over goat milk which is what most of the world prefers. Nothing wrong with goat milk cheese though :drool:

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']The price of breastmilk has skyrocketed. New mothers are now like drug dealers. "Gimme some of yo titty, bitch, GIMME THAT SWEET TITTY JUICE!"[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Anyway, I've noticed the rising prices also, my younger brother drinks a ton of milk. He needs to drink more juice or water.

bread's done
Back