Rock Band 2/GHWT Instrument Compatibility?

tsmvengy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I thought you Wii experts might know what's up with this. What's the deal with compatibility of the instruments for Rock Band 2 and GH: World Tour? I have heard that the RB2 instruments will work on GHWT but not the other way around. Is this the case? I did some googlefu but couldn't come up with a straight answer.

Pathetic that these companies can't just man up and work to make everything compatible (I was annoyed that the GH3 and RB1 instruments didn't work together). Doesn't it seem like more people would buy both games if they only had to get one set of instruments?

[quote name='tsmvengy']I thought you Wii experts might know what's up with this. What's the deal with compatibility of the instruments for Rock Band 2 and GH: World Tour? I have heard that the RB2 instruments will work on GHWT but not the other way around. Is this the case? I did some googlefu but couldn't come up with a straight answer.

Pathetic that these companies can't just man up and work to make everything compatible (I was annoyed that the GH3 and RB1 instruments didn't work together). Doesn't it seem like more people would buy both games if they only had to get one set of instruments?[/quote]

The PS3 and XBOX 360 version can be used on either game.

Unfortunately on the Wii this isn't true - mainly because the Wii version of GH requires the Wii remote for the instruments to work but Rock Band is controlled through USB's. Activision is rather bitter because they were told they had to follow Nintendo's rule of making everything use the remote and Harmonix didn't (read that in an article somewhere - can't remember where)

This is the main reason I just bought a 360 lol But if you're a Wii only owner than I would personally go with GHWT because they have confirmed DLC songs and all the stuff I've read says the drums are better. Rock Band is still an unknown about the DLC. They say it will be fully functional but have yet to confirm any details. But RB still has the better set list.

Hope that helps!

Here's a related question: can you use the PS2/PS3 Rock Band instruments for the Wii version of Rock Band? I realize the button config will be different (meaning the triangle and such), but I wouldn't think that would matter, at least if you don't use those buttons (and you don't have to). USB is USB, right? The only reason I can see for them not working is if they intentionally lock them out. Has anyone actually tried it?

[quote name='crunchewy']Here's a related question: can you use the PS2/PS3 Rock Band instruments for the Wii version of Rock Band? I realize the button config will be different (meaning the triangle and such), but I wouldn't think that would matter, at least if you don't use those buttons (and you don't have to). USB is USB, right? The only reason I can see for them not working is if they intentionally lock them out. Has anyone actually tried it?[/quote]

That I couldn't tell you. Give it a shot and see!

Here's a nice chart that shows what will work with what. Hope it helps

Instrument Compatibility Chart

ARGH! WTF Harmonix? You give us a shitty PS2 port for RB1 and then can't even make sure that all the instruments are compatible between games? Pathetic.

[quote name='tsmvengy']ARGH! WTF Harmonix? You give us a shitty PS2 port for RB1 and then can't even make sure that all the instruments are compatible between games? Pathetic.[/quote]

Oh no, companies milking more money out of consumers by double-dipping on superfluous accessories! The nerve!

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Oh no, companies milking more money out of consumers by double-dipping on superfluous accessories! The nerve![/QUOTE]

Obviously I don't have any hard data but it seems to me that if the instruments were easily compatible between games more people would be inclined to pick up both. It would be interesting to look at especially considering you could compare data on RB1 and GH3 on the 360 (where instruments were compatible) to the PS3 (where they were not) to see whether people were more inclined to buy both on the system where instruments were cross-compatible.

[quote name='CombatCraig']The PS3 and XBOX 360 version can be used on either game.

Unfortunately on the Wii this isn't true - mainly because the Wii version of GH requires the Wii remote for the instruments to work but Rock Band is controlled through USB's. Activision is rather bitter because they were told they had to follow Nintendo's rule of making everything use the remote and Harmonix didn't (read that in an article somewhere - can't remember where)
[/quote]

I've seen that article - I'm holding out hope that Activision was still referring to RB1 and not RB2.

Okay, I don't have a question about cross-compatibility, but about the controllers themselves. I only have one wiimote (since I always go to my friend's house to play Wii) and noticed that each instrument needs one wiimote. Why the hell are we getting the shaft? The instruments for 360 act as their own controller (I'm making this assumption based off the Rock Band instrument) and I find it pretty pricey if I'm going to have to go buy 2 more wiimotes in addition to the $200 bundle. Does anybody know if we won't have to buy additional wiimotes?

bread's done
Back