Rock Band Collection (360/PS3) $170 (MSRP) shipped, PS2 version $150 at Amazon

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
If you don't want to schlep this stuff home, Amazon is offering up free shipping.
EB/GS are charging an extra $10 shipping charge.

Release date is November 20th. It is also conceivable that this stuff could be very hard to find during the holiday season.

$170
:ps3:Rock Band Collection (PS3)

:360:Rock Band Collection (Xbox 360)

$160 $150
:ps2:Rock Band Collection (PS2)
(12/11/07 release)

Guitar Compatibility: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164005
Guitar Hero II's X-Plorer
Rock Band? Yes
Guitar Hero II? Yes
Guitar Hero III? Yes
Guitar Hero III's Les Paul
Rock Band? Yes
Guitar Hero II? Yes
Guitar Hero III? Yes
Rock Band's Stratocaster
Rock Band? Yes
Guitar Hero II? Unknown, but unlikely
Guitar Hero III? No

[quote name='coolz481']There is a standalone game on 11/20, just no standalone instruments.[/quote]

Thanks for clearing that up :)

No problem. I hope that the Guitar Hero III wireless guitar works with the PS3 version of Rock Band - that'd be the best of both worlds.

[quote name='coolz481']No problem. I hope that the Guitar Hero III wireless guitar works with the PS3 version of Rock Band - that'd be the best of both worlds.[/quote]A recent IGN Podcast stated the GHIII guitars do work for Rock Band.

[quote name='jkg2k3']In for one.

Thanks Cheapy!![/quote]

Cheapy should be thanking you, he gets commission. :mrgreen:

I also preordered this last time it hit front page. Between this and Guitar Hero III, I was an idiot to buy a real guitar... must split the time between them all...

Finally they went back up. I pre-order for now just in case they do become a pain to get. I am still skeptical though spending so much money not even getting a wireless guitar and the guitar does not work with Guitar Hero 3 so I hope to hear of a patch otherwise I am going to be really pissed off, I haven't even bought Guitar Hero for 360 yet because this game. :(. Though I really love the song list better then Guitar 3 at moment. Maps by Yeah Yeah Yeahs I can not wait to try.

[quote name='coolz481']There is a standalone game on 11/20, just no standalone instruments.[/quote]I am pretty sure wireless guitar will be avaliable.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']A recent IGN Podcast stated the GHIII guitars do work for Rock Band.[/QUOTE]

Possibly dumb question, will the PS3 RB guitars work on GHIII? (although I don't think there is a standalone PS3 GHIII at this time...)

[quote name='Justin42']Possibly dumb question, will the PS3 RB guitars work on GHIII? (although I don't think there is a standalone PS3 GHIII at this time...)[/quote]I can't remember the specifics and I may be mistaken, but there's some features that won't work. It was something about guitar effects missing, so if it's RB that has that then the GHIII guitars won't fully function with RB. If it's GHIII that has guitar effects, then it's the RB guitars that won't work with GHIII. Sorry if that causes more confusion. I'm a bit confused myself.

Preordered it....but anyone heard any rumors about when a wireless bundle will be released?--or if in fact the wireless guitar will even be bundled?

[quote name='tinyandi']Here's an article that's easier to read:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164005

I may just go ahead and buy the game alone and use my two GH guitars on it.[/quote]The whole main appeal for this game to me is the drums. That is the pain problem if they had just a drum bundle this would be easier to deal with. I hope they do just 100.00 drum bundle truth I do not need plastic instruments around my house like im 11.

[quote name='major maz']How does cheapyD get a commission?[/quote]

Anything you order through the CAG referral link gives Cheapy a [with Cheapy giving them so much buisness, probably a decent percentage I'd imagine] commission.

I ordered mine. My co-worker had Amazon Prime and the game really does seem to have a ton of buzz. So finding it this holiday season I think will be tough.

It's the perfect item to show off on morning tv as to what's the "hot" toy this season. Once that starts happening this game is going to blow up.

I'm all about this game, but I have no idea where I'd put the guitar and drums. This is a middle-America suburban game, not for city/apartment dwellers. Where am I going to keep this crap if I buy it?

[quote name='Cursor']I'm all about this game, but I have no idea where I'd put the guitar and drums. This is a middle-America suburban game, not for city/apartment dwellers. Where am I going to keep this crap if I buy it?[/QUOTE]

this is my problem as well, i never even bothered opening steel battalion for this reason, i dont have the space for it. But great for folks who do have the space.

well that's a shame considering that Rock band's guitar is by far the best one and once again proving that red octane are a bunch of assholes.

[quote name='Zoglog']well that's a shame considering that Rock band's guitar is by far the best one and once again proving that red octane are a bunch of assholes.[/quote]That is really harsh to say. If anything it is kind of backwards how Harmonix was saying bad things about RedOctane.

[quote name='Bazz']That is really harsh to say. If anything it is kind of backwards how Harmonix was saying bad things about RedOctane.[/QUOTE]

no it's true, red octane is a pretty pathetic company with pathetic roots ripping off bemani and selling cheap taiwanese 3rd party controllers. In fact the topway guitar controllers I bought from red octane before they made guitar hero aren't even compatible with guitar hero II or III, yet they work with I.

They're just lucky Activision snatched their sorry asses up, but the real talent is in Harmonix. Luckily for Guitar Hero III, Activision picked a really talented developer to make it. The GHIII peripheral is pathetic compared to the Rockband guitar though.

[quote name='Zoglog']no it's true, red octane is a pretty pathetic company with pathetic roots ripping off bemani and selling cheap taiwanese 3rd party controllers. In fact the topway guitar controllers I bought from red octane before they made guitar hero aren't even compatible with guitar hero II or III, yet they work with I.

They're just lucky Activision snatched their sorry asses up, but the real talent is in Harmonix. Luckily for Guitar Hero III, Activision picked a really talented developer to make it. The GHIII peripheral is pathetic compared to the Rockband guitar though.[/QUOTE]

I don't know much of Red Octane's history, but with GH3, it seems like they are just out to get people's money. Not having the ps2 controllers work on ps3 and that entire mess is just dumb. They locked it out so people have to buy new guitars.

Also, they locked out any 3rd party guitars for use in GH3- including Rock Band's.

Well, Guitar Hero controllers work with Rock Band, so I'm not sure who we should be pointing fingers at.

The Rock Band guitar certainly looks prettier than the GH 3 guitar, but the GH 3 guitar is automatically wireless, has changeable faceplates, and detacheable neck... Those features are nothing to sneeze at.

[quote name='eastx']Well, Guitar Hero controllers work with Rock Band, so I'm not sure who we should be pointing fingers at.

The Rock Band guitar certainly looks prettier than the GH 3 guitar, but the GH 3 guitar is automatically wireless, has changeable faceplates, and detacheable neck... Those features are nothing to sneeze at.[/QUOTE]

Actually it's pretty obvious who's at fault in this case. Harmonix has made it so that GH controllers would work in Rock Band. GH on the other hand has repeatedly blocked out other controllers.

And Rock Band's guitar isn't just prettier and bigger, the buttons and the strum bar are far superior and it also has an effect lever selector to boot. And faceplates and a detachable neck are minor improvements. Especially faceplates.... that's just meh....

And The PS3 rockband is automatically wireless as well.

If I buy through the CAG link, does cheapy get a kickback from that?? Thinking about preordering one today.

EDIT

And this will work with the 360 guitar hero III or II controller as well?

[quote name='equest943']so i'm assuming people here have already tried out the rock band guitar?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Best Buy has set up demos of the game. It's glorious.

i went to my local best buy yesterday, and the area where they usually had a huge screen set up with guitar hero [ or whatever new release was out ] was removed and replaced by a bunch of xbox premiums/halo 3 xboxes/halo 3 legendary edition.

For those who pre-ordered, keep checking the gold box offers. Rock Band showed up in mine for 5% off ($161.49 shipped, tax free) today and I already emailed to get the price adjustment.

They had a decent setup at the Best Buy in Sugar Land. I took some pics for you guys (low res and blurry of course). The drums feel great, if not a bit easy at parts. I was up to expert in an hour. This was by no means a guage of the total game because of a few reasons.

1. There was no kick and 2. The songs they chose were not the hardest. But it was SO MUCH FUN :D That is what i think is going to make the game a great party game because it has the fun element and not just the super hard like guitar hero III. I really cant wait. You should all go to your local best buy and try and get some action in before the launch in 3 weeks (It is like waiting for the Wii all over again!).

1030070002dj7.jpg

1030070003gg2.jpg

1030070004kk4.jpg

1030070008sd9.jpg

Is this still due out in December for PS2? I had it preordered at yesasia.com for US release and I got an email yesterday saying it is pushed back until March...

[quote name='RonnieWrecked']no kick pedal? weird.

also no one in sight, what time did you take the pics at?[/quote]
No there is no kick for the demo. The game kicks for you (which makes the drums easier than i think they will be). I guess they were afraid of you stealing it. I dont know. These pics were taken at closing. My girlfriend and I were there from about 8:45 till 10:00 with only one other person wanting to play. It was pretty empty on a tuesday heh :p I am sure it wont be too busy today either. *wink*

I didn't play it the other day when I was at BB, but I checked out the guitar and drums. The drums were surprisingly solid, with a nice thick rubber top on them, so they didn't sound "hollow" like I was afraid they might.

The guitar was cool, I like how the fret buttons were done, it's a bit longer I think than the new GH3 guitar, the effects switch was easy to reach, a slightly bigger whammy bar, and it doesn't click when you strum (which annoys me with GH).

I looked through the menus and song selection, and I'm surprised how many songs they had on there to play, at least 15 or so.

Question on the drums for those who tried them - any way drum sticks will break? AFAIK, sticks are usually broken on the metal edges of real drums, so that shouldn't be a concern really with Rock Band, should it? Just want to make sure I won't need an extra set laying around in case. Would hate to have to use them as bongos. ;)

[quote name='crystalklear64']How about the separate SG guitar from GH1 (PS2)? I have Guitar Hero 2 on the PS2 (game only) and bought that GH1 SG controller on its own.

Can I use the GH1 controller for GH3? Can I use the GH3 controller for GH1?[/QUOTE]

I would say yes to both.

[quote name='aktick']
Question on the drums for those who tried them - any way drum sticks will break?[/QUOTE]

No, they will not break. You'll be fine.

[quote name='coolz481']For those who pre-ordered, keep checking the gold box offers. Rock Band showed up in mine for 5% off ($161.49 shipped, tax free) today and I already emailed to get the price adjustment.[/quote]

Hey thanks again for the heads up! I just emailed Amazon after reading your post and told them that I had seen a 5% reduction in the price and wanted to see how I could take advantage of this offer. I got a reply already that said they credited my order 8.05... better than nothing.

Just noticed that the Sam's Club website as Rock Band available for pre-order for $149.46 (online only).

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/search.do?searchtype=simple&catg=5886&simplesearchfor=Rock+Band&simpleitemtype=0

Not sure what the shipping cost are since I'm getting the error when I click the pre-order button: "This item is not available. Please try again later, or contact customer support." and there is probably tax which would hurt this deal but I wonder if this is an indication of B&M pricing...

*I did a quick search of the boards and didn't see this posted, sorry if it's a repeat.

[quote name='farfromhome']Just noticed that the Sam's Club website as Rock Band available for pre-order for $149.46 (online only).

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/search.do?searchtype=simple&catg=5886&simplesearchfor=Rock+Band&simpleitemtype=0

Not sure what the shipping cost are since I'm getting the error when I click the pre-order button: "This item is not available. Please try again later, or contact customer support." and there is probably tax which would hurt this deal but I wonder if this is an indication of B&M pricing...

*I did a quick search of the boards and didn't see this posted, sorry if it's a repeat.[/quote]

good find, but like u said their site isnt working. $150 is a deal o rightz. screw gh3 lol

wait a sec.... that sams club deal is butchered by the shipping price. $25?!?!?!?!?!

yep, well i guess its not worth it after all, only if u make the effort to pricematch to another site

Kick pedal is the hardest part about the drums, just like the turntable becomes the hardest part for beatmania.

What really sucks about the foot pedal is the placement of it on the screen and how it overlaps everything. I hate it when they do that.

thanks for the heads up on the goldbox

bread's done
Back