Rock Band difficulty

Backlash

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I just got Rock Band for PS2 (I already had GH guitars, so I got game only from Amazon for $26). However, I can't seem to hit any "long" streams of repeated notes, e.g. 8 green notes in a row. I don't have this problem in GH (I mostly play on Hard, with some Expert for the first few tiers).

Is Rock Band that much more finicky with note timing? Or buggy? I assumed it couldn't be visual lag, though I am playing on an LCD HDTV, because GH doesn't have any lag (both games in progressive scan mode). Anyone else experience this problem?

My wife is experiencing the same problem (playing bass on Hard), and she got so frustrated the other day that she quit right in the middle of When We Were Young :(

(I posted this in the Rock Band thread over a week ago, but I didn't get any replies, so I'm reposting as a new topic).

[quote name='Backlash']I just got Rock Band for PS2 (I already had GH guitars, so I got game only from Amazon for $26). However, I can't seem to hit any "long" streams of repeated notes, e.g. 8 green notes in a row. I don't have this problem in GH (I mostly play on Hard, with some Expert for the first few tiers).

Is Rock Band that much more finicky with note timing? Or buggy? I assumed it couldn't be visual lag, though I am playing on an LCD HDTV, because GH doesn't have any lag (both games in progressive scan mode). Anyone else experience this problem?

My wife is experiencing the same problem (playing bass on Hard), and she got so frustrated the other day that she quit right in the middle of When We Were Young :(

(I posted this in the Rock Band thread over a week ago, but I didn't get any replies, so I'm reposting as a new topic).[/quote]

Did you calibrate the game in the options menu?

Yeah, calibrating it would be the deal. Check out that "Calibrate" menu and choose the TV type that you have, or you can set it to a custom mode (which personally I've found doesn't really help much).

Sometimes, we bring our 360 over to friends' places, and they have different TVs that make the notes not line up with when we try to play them. We'd be off by like a fraction of a second and miss lots of notes that normally we'd have no problem getting, and have to re-set the calibration to whatever type of TV we were currently on.

Hopefully this will help out.

I used the auto calibrate and it helped somewhat, but it was still off. Then I did the manual calibrate and it helped immensely. If you are running audio through a separate receiver, do the manual calibrate and not just the auto calibrate where you pick what kind of TV you have (LCD, Plasma etc). I thought I really, really sucked at the drums, turns out the calibration was partially to blame (I still stink, but not as much)

Thanks. I guess I'll try calibrating it. I didn't bother before because I play Guitar Hero on the exact same TV and I don't need to calibrate GH (just setting the game to progressive scan is enough that there's no noticeable lag). I thought it was various TVs that introduced lag, though? Why would Rock Band have lag and GH not?

bread's done
Back