Rock Band - Discussion moved to Rock Band 2 thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DLC > Create A Song

I'll still buy it, but there's just alot more excitement and anticipation in waiting every Friday for new announcement in who or what they'll have next. More reason I love Rock Band so goddamn much.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']false.[/quote]

Possibly. But damn, reading all about GH4, I can't help but think so.

I was entirely Rock Band all the way until I read the entire GH4 article in GI. Definitely going to be impressive if all the stuff works correctly. And the ability to jam any way you want on 4-5 different drum sets and it has 4 different sounds per drum depending on how you hit it, is truly epic. Ect.

Also the GH note charts are always better and more fun.

It's gonna be real hard for Rock Band to compete.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']
[/quote]
No, when I play Killers I like knowing I'm playing guitar not xylophone. That or when there's a second of silence I should NOT be able to HO or PO on it.

[quote name='bardockkun']No, when I play Killers I like knowing I'm playing guitar not xylophone. That or when there's a second of silence I should NOT be able to HO or PO on it.[/quote]

Hmm, I didn't even think there was an argument that GH3's note charts/playing is so much better then Rock Bands.

I prefer Rock Band over Gh3, but it's just a given that GH's guitar destroys rock bands. Realism doesn't equal fun.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Possibly. But damn, reading all about GH4, I can't help but think so. It's gonna be real hard for Rock Band to compete.[/quote]No, not even possibly. Rock Band is not the one competing - Guitar Hero is. Guitar Hero should be hyping this "ingenious" innovation that this hidden/clear note is going to bring to guitar games, instead of adding retarded looking drums that detect sensitivity and vocals. To add to that, this "war" won't be won from units sold - it's all about that DLC now (if GH4 is really going to compete).

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I was entirely Rock Band all the way until I read the entire GH4 article in GI. Definitely going to be impressive if all the stuff works correctly. And the ability to jam any way you want on 4-5 different drum sets and it has 4 different sounds per drum depending on how you hit it, is truly epic. Ect.[/quote]Reading that article was a joke - especially the parts talking about such never-heard-of features like a customizable character w/ clothing and tattoos, and a HUD that will feature: guitar charts on the left/right side of the screen, vocals at the top and drums in the center! Not only did they mention Rock Band was expensive at least 7 times, but they claim these ideas for drums and vocals were around before Harmonix split. I'm sure Guitar Hero fans are eagerly awaiting the chance to buy another guitar (it was mentioned that non-GH4 guitars will miss out on the new feature) to rest beside the other 3 and, likely, the RB Fender Strat and RB drumset and mic. All they are trying to do is +1 everything that Rock Band and Harmonix has done. This game will not be Guitar Hero, it will be Rock Band Hero.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Also the GH note charts are always better and more fun. [/quote]More false than previous statement. The mentality behind the Guitar Hero charts is "let's make this as wild and outrageous as humanly possible while making sure we barely resemble the way the song is played". Rock Band, on the other hand, actually feels like you're playing songs/chords and goes for accuracy over difficulty.

What ever happened to the pedal attachment for the guitar hero guitars? Looking at my X-plorer right now it still has the little plug in jack on the side of it.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Hmm, I didn't even think there was an argument that GH3's note charts/playing is so much better then Rock Bands.

I prefer Rock Band over Gh3, but it's just a given that GH's guitar destroys rock bands. Realism doesn't equal fun.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's your opinion.

My opinion is that unrealistic, overchart GH3 songs don't equal fun.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Guitar Hero 4 is going to destroy Rock Band.

I'm so excited![/QUOTE]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KmWbKJ8CyY[/media]

[quote name='evanft']Wow, way to jump down his throat, assholes.[/QUOTE]

He's trolling. Not unexpected. For him doing it, and the response it got.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Guitar Hero 4 is going to destroy Rock Band.

I'm so excited![/quote]

I just feel like Activision is really going to "Tony Hawk" the GH series (i.e. adding unnecessary content). It started with the boss battles.

Holy shit donkies.

I really had NOOO idea that GH vs Rock Band was so serious on these forums. Sorry I'm not really active on these Rock Band and GH3 threads much, I really didnt know.

I really just love Rock Band and GH. GH was my baby and the one I started with from the very beggining and Rock Band is the new explosive improved rythm game that I have had a lot of fun with and I was just happy to see GH may be back in the running. I didn't know I was going to offend anyone.

[quote name='bardockkun']No, when I play Killers I like knowing I'm playing guitar not xylophone. That or when there's a second of silence I should NOT be able to HO or PO on it.[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UWSOfWDLdc

Sorry, I will stop with the GH3 vs RB. Cause obviously RB wins. But Killers is pretty much exactly the same on both...

WOOT.

I just got finshed singlehandedly completing the Endless Setlist on expert vocals and guitar. 8 fails total, paused once at 25 songs to get a drink and otherwise just burned right through it.

As such, allow me to reinforce my prior message. *ahem*

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!

:whistle2:D Ok. Thanks for stomaching that little outburst. I'd go running to friends and family and exclaim how proud I am, but I'm afraid that, once I explained to them what the endless setlist was, they'd be more horrified than proud.

Carry on your GH vs Rock Band silliness. I'm gonna continue enjoying them both.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I really had NOOO idea that GH vs Rock Band was so serious on these forums.[/quote]

What did you expect when you jumped in a RB thread and said GH4 is going to destroy it? If you don't want to get flamed then you should've know better than that. But I don't think you're a troll.

Rockband is that I game I pick up every other week and it still feels fresh. With that said I felt the same way about GH1 & 2.

Unlike most people posting I'm excited for the Euro songs this week. The wife is a big British Rock fan, so I guess it's her fault. Also I just got my 100% Expert Guitar Acheivment on Orange Crush. FINALLY!!!

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Hmm, I didn't even think there was an argument that GH3's note charts/playing is so much better then Rock Bands.

I prefer Rock Band over Gh3, but it's just a given that GH's guitar destroys rock bands. Realism doesn't equal fun.[/QUOTE]
Do you play on expert? I was having a conversation about this last week how you wouldn't notice unless you're playing expert. GH3's expert adds notes that aren't there and extremely lenient HO/POs.

I understand the GH4 excitement, sure more stuff is always good. My main gripe is having to buy more crap. My other concern is how good their charts will be. If you're not playing expert, its all the same. Not to knock you if you aren't, just noting it to those who attacked you so quickly :lol:

Though if you are playing expert and like GH3 better, you're insane. Its no question that GH3 has better guitar songs, RB's guitar set list (not counting DLC) is a breeze. Looking at overall gameplay and mechanics though, hands down it goes to RB/Harmonix. It shows in the amount of music games they have under their belt versus the one Neversoft does.

[quote name='hhhdx4']Id also like to point out that rockbands notecharts are very overrated, I dont see where this realism comes into effect.[/quote]

As opposed to playing a real Guitar, then yes it does feel more unrealistic.

[quote name='hhhdx4']Id also like to point out that rockbands notecharts are very overrated, I dont see where this realism comes into effect.[/quote]
They're realistic because they don't involve slamming the shit out of your guitar's fretboard when you play hard songs.

Strengthens the fingers!

anyway you can make the case that GH3's notecharts dont make any sense (and most of them dont) but for some songs RB arent that close to their real life counterparts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAtfqXP7ZGo

Intro is played open then to a power chord on the 7th fret (Im not good with note names) there its the green (for open) to single notes, GH3 atleast has you play the chords, at least thats one that stood out in my head.

The Solo's in Ride The Lightning (the tapping part is not that crazy) and Sandman are way off too, I'm not comparing it to the real thing because...you cant, but each game has note chart flaws, GH3 overcomplicates things for the higher tier songs and solos/keyboard parts (still cant figure that out) but RB doesnt make use of the 3 button power chord a lot.

[quote name='Corvin']I believe playing through the single player and unlocking all the songs helps the variety in BWT, IIRC.

Also the bonus songs DO show up in random sets. It's not often and it's only certain gigs but it is very annoying. I've gotten that Flyleaf song a couple times, the Uncle Bob (?) song and even Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld once.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I actually just had this happen. I know its impossible to tell when something really is random, but I feel like I get a lot of repeats and I know that still have songs outstanding that have never come up. Small complaint for something that I really enjoy.

Unless GH4 is really cheap, ill be sticking to rockband. Sucks, I am going to want it simply because of the new drum set, but its going to cost...a lot.

I don't know what XM station 838 is, but it sure plays a lot of the RB soundtrack. I've only been at work for a couple hours and have heard 5 different songs.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I don't know what XM station 838 is, but it sure plays a lot of the RB soundtrack. I've only been at work for a couple hours and have heard 5 different songs.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps I'm retarded, but...huh? I have XM in my car and it doesn't go up to anywhere near 838.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I don't know what XM station 838 is, but it sure plays a lot of the RB soundtrack. I've only been at work for a couple hours and have heard 5 different songs.[/quote]

838 on DirecTV?

Lucy
The biggest songs in the history of alternative rock.
Channel: 838

Thats some good googling there. Harmonix must love Lucy. Buddy Holly was just on a second ago. I don't know if its just that RB has a really big/diverse song list now but every hour I hear a few songs off the list.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Possibly. But damn, reading all about GH4, I can't help but think so.

I was entirely Rock Band all the way until I read the entire GH4 article in GI. Definitely going to be impressive if all the stuff works correctly. And the ability to jam any way you want on 4-5 different drum sets and it has 4 different sounds per drum depending on how you hit it, is truly epic. Ect.

It's gonna be real hard for Rock Band to compete.[/quote]

You fucking fail.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Thats some good googling there. Harmonix must love Lucy. Buddy Holly was just on a second ago. I don't know if its just that RB has a really big/diverse song list now but every hour I hear a few songs off the list.[/QUOTE]

There's a local station (radio 104.5) that seems to always play RB songs. Same concept though, is it due to the diverse setlist? Or are the purposely playing the songs?

[quote name='seanr1221']There's a local station (radio 104.5) that seems to always play RB songs. Same concept though, is it due to the diverse setlist? Or are the purposely playing the songs?[/quote]

Our receptionist said that she's been hearing Dragonforce on the radio more frequently, too.

It's funny how it takes these awesome games to be released before we hear some of these great songs on the radio. Seems like they'd never get played otherwise.

Its because it hits that special spot in your mind. I'll confess to adding Paramore to my iPod after my lady friend sang it to me. Black Tide is still the only band I actually discovered through Rock Band.

[quote name='seanr1221']There's a local station (radio 104.5) that seems to always play RB songs. Same concept though, is it due to the diverse setlist? Or are the purposely playing the songs?[/quote]

I've never heard Green Grass before I played Rock Band. Then I heard it on the radio for the first time shortly after. It's all a matter of media companies like Clear Channel choosing the playlists and selecting songs that may be hot at the time.

[quote name='mriswyth']Thanks for the reply. I actually just had this happen. I know its impossible to tell when something really is random, but I feel like I get a lot of repeats and I know that still have songs outstanding that have never come up. Small complaint for something that I really enjoy.[/QUOTE]

No sweat, I've also noticed if you stay in the same city you are far more likely to get the same songs in each gig. If you want more variety you have to hop around cities.

[quote name='bardockkun']No, when I play Killers I like knowing I'm playing guitar not xylophone.[/QUOTE]

:roll: As opposed to playing the organ in Smokin' (Boston) in RB? Harmonix rulez 01101!!! Activision sux!

Try again.

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']I've never heard Green Grass before I played Rock Band. Then I heard it on the radio for the first time shortly after. It's all a matter of media companies like Clear Channel choosing the playlists and selecting songs that may be hot at the time.[/quote]

Actually, my buddy from Alabama always played Green Grass in his car. Back when we were playing Freebird on GH2 he was going "Awww, Green Grass totally needs to be in the next GH." Needless to say, he was very pleased when it found its way into RockBand.

As far as band discoveries, I had never heard Coheed and Cambria before and LOVE Welcome Home. Same goes for Dragonforce. I also really like the song by Tribe. Other bands I had heard of but hadn't really given a chance...particularly Iron Maiden. These games have been phenomenal for broadening my music library, at any rate.

[quote name='Corvin']No sweat, I've also noticed if you stay in the same city you are far more likely to get the same songs in each gig. If you want more variety you have to hop around cities.

:roll: As opposed to playing the organ in Smokin' (Boston) in RB? Harmonix rulez 01101!!! Activision sux!

Try again.[/quote]

Honestly, I was waiting for someone to shoot me down but NO ONE brought up NIN with the piano/guitar solo...

So I'll admit at fault, but doesn't matter since I'll get both in the end anyways. Just need someway to bring up Rock Band being alpha superior in my mind (hey I can admit some fanboyism).

Though I think even if Rock Band 2 doesn't come out this year, Harmonix can always go easy route and mark down the bundle soon as GH4 comes out and include code for free dl'able songs of people's choice.

Gahhhhh my Xplorer whammy bar broke today. Opened it up and a part had actually snapped off. Shite. That's hella lame. Just before Muse, too :(

DAMN YOU, JORDAN! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!

[quote name='bardockkun']Honestly, I was waiting for someone to shoot me down but NO ONE brought up NIN with the piano/guitar solo...

So I'll admit at fault, but doesn't matter since I'll get both in the end anyways. Just need someway to bring up Rock Band being alpha superior in my mind (hey I can admit some fanboyism).

Though I think even if Rock Band 2 doesn't come out this year, Harmonix can always go easy route and mark down the bundle soon as GH4 comes out and include code for free dl'able songs of people's choice.[/QUOTE]
Rock Band 2 doesn't need to come out this year. Hell, it doesn't need to come out at all--at the rate they're churning out DLC, there's no reason for a sequel. We'll see a half-assed keyboard accessory in 2009, though.
I just really think this train has left the station, and GHIV is going to gather little more than a collective yawn from most gamers. I've already got five g-d plastic guitars and one tacky toy drum kit. I don't need any more, and I know I'm not the only one in this boat.

[quote name='TahoeMax']Actually, my buddy from Alabama always played Green Grass in his car.[/quote]

Oh I'm well aware that the Outlaws have been around for sometime. I was just saying I never heard the song before on the radio. Then after Rock Band came out they started playing it.

[quote name='TahoeMax']Gahhhhh my Xplorer whammy bar broke today. Opened it up and a part had actually snapped off. Shite. That's hella lame. Just before Muse, too :([/quote]

that stinks, but there's a fix you can get from GuitarHeroParts (damn, they've actually got a lot more parts on there than the last time i checked)

anyway, the Whammy Repair Kit is a cheap fix. i've got one installed in each my RedOctane guitars (even the Les Paul, which took some filing down), because I have oafish friends that absolutely destroy my whammy bars when they come over.

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']Oh I'm well aware that the Outlaws have been around for sometime. I was just saying I never heard the song before on the radio. Then after Rock Band came out they started playing it.[/quote]

I understood. I was just commenting because if not for my friend from the south, I wouldn't have known about them either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back