Rock Band - Discussion moved to Rock Band 2 thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='defiance_17']Rock Band 2 doesn't need to come out this year. Hell, it doesn't need to come out at all--at the rate they're churning out DLC, there's no reason for a sequel. We'll see a half-assed keyboard accessory in 2009, though.
I just really think this train has left the station, and GHIV is going to gather little more than a collective yawn from most gamers. I've already got five g-d plastic guitars and one tacky toy drum kit. I don't need any more, and I know I'm not the only one in this boat.[/quote]

Exactly.

While I do agree RB2 doesn't need to come out this year, they should put something out for the holiday season. They don't want GH4 to cut into their sales. A new SKU would help and I could see something along the lines of an RB expansion disc with minor cosmetic changes and a new set of 50 songs. That would sell since a lot of people would look at GH4 as more songs. A full fledged RB2 with a new set of instruments can wait till next year but they do need to put something out.

If they're feeling really risky, they could beat everyone out and use an expansion disc to introduce a keyboard/keytar controller. I lean towards keytar because a keyboard would be too big and would require a stand. A keytar could technically play any guitar charts since not all songs have any piano in it. They could just configure it to where the first 5 keys work with any guitar song. That would be sick. Say $80-90 for a new controller and game with 50 songs and a new world tour for all your other instruments. Add a bass tour and you've got an even bigger stew going.

[quote name='CouRageouS']While I do agree RB2 doesn't need to come out this year, they should put something out for the holiday season. They don't want GH4 to cut into their sales. A new SKU would help and I could see something along the lines of an RB expansion disc with minor cosmetic changes and a new set of 50 songs. That would sell since a lot of people would look at GH4 as more songs. A full fledged RB2 with a new set of instruments can wait till next year but they do need to put something out.

If they're feeling really risky, they could beat everyone out and use an expansion disc to introduce a keyboard/keytar controller. I lean towards keytar because a keyboard would be too big and would require a stand. A keytar could technically play any guitar charts since not all songs have any piano in it. They could just configure it to where the first 5 keys work with any guitar song. That would be sick. Say $80-90 for a new controller and game with 50 songs and a new world tour for all your other instruments. Add a bass tour and you've got an even bigger stew going.[/quote]
Now I would LOVE a keytar, but I know it isn't going to happen. Since I doubt it would sell (the idea is a bit, well, ridiculous) and good portion of song's aren't going to require it. I can see another guitar taking it's place instead so basically it can play rhythm and double as keyboard for certain songs (like how guitar doubles as keyboard in Freezepop songs). So basically it'll then become a five piece band, which would still be awesome.

Although if they were to release an expansion, all I'd want is online world tour and more songs. Though it would simply be more badass if the expansion was instead available to dl and pay for it there with points because I think Harmonix has some idea people hate changing games in and out to play the song they want.

[quote name='CouRageouS']While I do agree RB2 doesn't need to come out this year, they should put something out for the holiday season. They don't want GH4 to cut into their sales. A new SKU would help and I could see something along the lines of an RB expansion disc with minor cosmetic changes and a new set of 50 songs. That would sell since a lot of people would look at GH4 as more songs. A full fledged RB2 with a new set of instruments can wait till next year but they do need to put something out.
[/QUOTE]
See above, mate. That's exactly the thing--they don't need to do a goddamn thing differently. I think you're completely overestimating the impact Guitar Hero IV is going to have (with a slight chance I'm underestimating). Really, the worst thing Activision can do is make GHIV incompatible with the RB instruments, and let's face it, there won't be any agreement. I'd have no troubles buying game-only, but I'm not stacking more shit in my living room. So I won't be buying GHIV.
All Harmonix/EA needs to do is keep hitting us with steady DLC, making sure to spray the field, so to speak. They've done an incredible job so far, and there's no reason to doubt they'll continue. Hell, if they release an album every week or so from October to December, it'll be more than enough to keep them in the running. You have no idea how much money they're making $2 at a time.

[quote name='bardockkun']Although if they were to release an expansion, all I'd want is online world tour and more songs. Though it would simply be more badass if the expansion was instead available to dl and pay for it there with points because I think Harmonix has some idea people hate changing games in and out to play the song they want.[/QUOTE]Yes, yes yes. This is huge. Having all your songs in one place is, IMO, the single greatest benefit of DLC. I hope they never do expansion discs for GH (too late) or Rock Band.

[quote name='defiance_17']Rock Band 2 doesn't need to come out this year. Hell, it doesn't need to come out at all--at the rate they're churning out DLC, there's no reason for a sequel. We'll see a half-assed keyboard accessory in 2009, though.
I just really think this train has left the station, and GHIV is going to gather little more than a collective yawn from most gamers. I've already got five g-d plastic guitars and one tacky toy drum kit. I don't need any more, and I know I'm not the only one in this boat.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. There are about a dozen or so solid changes/tweaks/features that need to be addressed. BWT Online being the biggest. I don't see them doling them out for free when they could just as easily drop a new feature packed disc in the fall.

[quote name='defiance_17']See above, mate. That's exactly the thing--they don't need to do a goddamn thing differently. I think you're completely overestimating the impact Guitar Hero IV is going to have (with a slight chance I'm underestimating).[/QUOTE]
While we are satisfied with RB in its current state, there is certainly room for improvement. The game is not perfect. A full fledged RB2 with a new set of controllers isn't warranted yet but GH4 being the "new thing" this holiday season will eat into RB sales. They can't rely on the current bundle to sell well through another season when theres the newer shinier one (two if you include Rock Rev) coming.

There just needs to be something out on retail floors to sell and create new users. DLC is obviously a money train but its only to the installed user base. A new bundle needs to hit that brings more players in and keeps current users going. Yes they take good care of us regarding DLC but to an uneducated gamer, why buy a year old game when GH4 is fresh on the market. I'll be horribly surprised if there isn't some form of a new RB disc hitting Q4 2008. A World Tour edition with 40 new tracks and online BWT would sell easily. Maybe have it available with a wireless guitar or drums for new users.

Rock Band doesn't need to do a damn thing other than just grabbing the best music they can and putting it on the DLC train. Guitar Hero 4 is the one competing here - meaning they are the ones that are going to have to go above and beyond by lowering the DLC price and matching the strength of Rock Band's library of songs.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Do you play on expert? I was having a conversation about this last week how you wouldn't notice unless you're playing expert. GH3's expert adds notes that aren't there and extremely lenient HO/POs.

I understand the GH4 excitement, sure more stuff is always good. My main gripe is having to buy more crap. My other concern is how good their charts will be. If you're not playing expert, its all the same. Not to knock you if you aren't, just noting it to those who attacked you so quickly :lol:

Though if you are playing expert and like GH3 better, you're insane. Its no question that GH3 has better guitar songs, RB's guitar set list (not counting DLC) is a breeze. Looking at overall gameplay and mechanics though, hands down it goes to RB/Harmonix. It shows in the amount of music games they have under their belt versus the one Neversoft does.[/quote]

Yea I do play Expert. I definitely have more fun playing Rock Band but I enjoy the notes/solo's in Gh3 much better (I feel they are easier to hit the notes, which I like).

BUT I love drums, so Rock Band is easily a win. And GH3 is a put together mess, I just hope they can get all that stuff together for GH4.

And I can't believe I am crazy for liking GH's notetracks/notes/hopoect. over Rock Bands. I mean damn, I started on Guitar Hero, I'd be crazy not to... It's kind of hard to beat what you are used to.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I mean damn, I started on Guitar Hero, I'd be crazy not to... It's kind of hard to beat what you are used to.[/QUOTE]
But GH3 changed what you are used to from the first two. RB keeps it and betters it. And now that you're used to RB as a band game, how can be be excited for GH4's take on a band game? You're crazy I tell you! :whee:

[quote name='BustaUppa']Yes, yes yes. This is huge. Having all your songs in one place is, IMO, the single greatest benefit of DLC. I hope they never do expansion discs for GH (too late) or Rock Band.[/QUOTE]

Maybe if they were to make an expansion disc or sequel, they could have the ability to import the songs from the original—DLC and the ones on the disc.

[quote name='Wet Ninja']Maybe if they were to make an expansion disc or sequel, they could have the ability to import the songs from the original—DLC and the ones on the disc.[/QUOTE]
Harmonix has implied many times that future games will use previous DLC. They've said themselves if they didn't they'd be screwing us over.

[quote name='shieryda']No fair! Why do they get one, but 360 doesn't?![/quote]

DLC... we get it, they can't, due to lack of a mass storage device.

That's my guess, anyways.

[quote name='shieryda']No fair! Why do they get one, but 360 doesn't?![/QUOTE]

Because it's the same price as buying the songs pretty much, and you have no choice in which songs you get.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']
And I can't believe I am crazy for liking GH's notetracks/notes/hopoect. over Rock Bands. I mean damn, I started on Guitar Hero, I'd be crazy not to... It's kind of hard to beat what you are used to.[/QUOTE]

What Courageous said. Rock Band's guitar note charts play like GH 1 & 2's, while GH 3's note charts do not (and are wayyy less fun IMO). Plus when playing GH3, you have to look at their monstrous character models, which is hard to do without puking a little.

[quote name='eastx']What Courageous said. Rock Band's guitar note charts play like GH 1 & 2's, while GH 3's note charts do not (and are wayyy less fun IMO). Plus when playing GH3, you have to look at their monstrous character models, which is hard to do without puking a little.[/QUOTE]

GHIII's character designs are truly hideous.

Rock n' Roll star is pretty fun. Nice solo at the end, too, which is cool.

Hysteria is frickin' sick. The expert bass line is pretty ridiculous. I just played it for the first time and got TWO stars for the first time ever. Just couldn't pin it down...managed to finish with 82% but NO star power over the whole song. Expert guitar is manageable. Got 4 3/4 stars first time.

[quote name='shieryda']No fair! Why do they get one, but 360 doesn't?![/QUOTE]The Wii/PS2 expansion disc is just a collection of songs that were already DLC on the 360/PS3.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']GHIII's character designs are truly hideous.[/QUOTE]
Yea especially the male singer who moves like a puppet.

[quote name='TahoeMax']Rock n' Roll star is pretty fun. Nice solo at the end, too, which is cool.

Hysteria is frickin' sick. The expert bass line is pretty ridiculous. I just played it for the first time and got TWO stars for the first time ever. Just couldn't pin it down...managed to finish with 82% but NO star power over the whole song. Expert guitar is manageable. Got 4 3/4 stars first time.[/QUOTE]
I didn't know you can get 2 stars and pass a song? Shame on you. I thought you were a platinum artist.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']GHIII's character designs are truly hideous.[/quote]
The lead singer went through a horrible translation from GH2 to GH3, as if through development process they thought his jaw should be a Game Boy and took it out last second though clear evident traces can be seen...

Everyone else, new characters all looked awful and I don't see why or how girl's need to be sluttified for the game.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLG4QKD70_U[/media]
This has to be the most fun bass chart I've ever seen. Though I haven't played bass much.

[quote name='bigdsinferno']as a reminder, "we care a lot" is only 80 points this week. i can't remember what the other one is.[/quote]

All The Small Things.

[quote name='CouRageouS']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLG4QKD70_U
This has to be the most fun bass chart I've ever seen. Though I haven't played bass much.[/QUOTE]

86% my first time through. :cry:

Rock and Roll Star has a fun extended solo at the end, plus psychedelic background visuals!

Also, refresh on the discounted songs:

5/6/08-5/12/08 :
Crushcrushcrush - Paramore
Rock 'n Roll Band - Boston

5/13/08-5/19/08 :
Shockwave - Black Tide
Sugar Magnolia - Grateful Dead

5/20/08-5/26/08:
We Care A Lot - Faith No More
All the Small Things - Blink 182

5/27/08-6/2/08:
Gimme Three Steps - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Dirty Little Secret - All-American Rejects

Interestingly enough, "Rock 'n Roll Band" is still discounted, although the others have returned to the normal prices.

Although I already said here that I don't dig Muse, I did pick up Hysteria for that bass chart. I got 90% my first try, but I'm going to have to limit myself to one playthrough a day on bass for that song because of the non-stop playing your strum hand gets.

Also picked up Hier Kommt Alex for vocals/guitar and Manu Chao for the vocals/drums/humor. Both are excellent.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Harmonix has implied many times that future games will use previous DLC. They've said themselves if they didn't they'd be screwing us over.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know they'll include the ability to import DLC. I was talking more about the ability to import songs that were on the original Rock Band disc for use in Rock Band 2 or an expansion; that way, there'd be no disc swapping needed.

[quote name='CouRageouS']While we are satisfied with RB in its current state, there is certainly room for improvement. The game is not perfect. A full fledged RB2 with a new set of controllers isn't warranted yet but GH4 being the "new thing" this holiday season will eat into RB sales. They can't rely on the current bundle to sell well through another season when theres the newer shinier one (two if you include Rock Rev) coming.

There just needs to be something out on retail floors to sell and create new users. DLC is obviously a money train but its only to the installed user base. A new bundle needs to hit that brings more players in and keeps current users going. Yes they take good care of us regarding DLC but to an uneducated gamer, why buy a year old game when GH4 is fresh on the market. I'll be horribly surprised if there isn't some form of a new RB disc hitting Q4 2008. A World Tour edition with 40 new tracks and online BWT would sell easily. Maybe have it available with a wireless guitar or drums for new users.[/QUOTE]
You're probably right. I can't see them putting anything on the disc that we won't be able to download, though. Charging for an online World Tour would be a slap in the face to everyone who currently owns the game--it should have been included in the first place, and everyone knows it. We'll probably see some re-packaging, and nothing more.

Maybe they just need to lock in some jaw-droppers as far as full albums (The Beatles, maybe) and release a couple on DVD for $15 a shot. Either way, the burden is definitely on GHIV, and judging by the response on this site (while not a typical gaming population), it's going to be a major struggle.

[quote name='Wet Ninja']Yeah, I know they'll include the ability to import DLC. I was talking more about the ability to import songs that were on the original Rock Band disc for use in Rock Band 2 or an expansion; that way, there'd be no disc swapping needed.[/QUOTE]
I can almost guarantee that will happen, if it's even necessary. I really just think they'll do any updates and new songs through DLC, rather than full sequels or expansions. This game has the legs on it to make it all the way through this generation, in my opinion.

THE CARS DLC Album release week of 5/27

EARLY ANNOUNCE! As many of you have sussed out already next week's DLC is self-titled Cars album! Each track will be available for $1.99 per track (160 Microsoft Points) or $14.99 (1200 Microsoft Points) for the album. The album will release on Xbox 360 on Tuesday, May 27th and PS3 on Thursday, May 29th. The following tracks appear on the album-

All Mixed Up

Bye Bye Love

Don't Cha Stop

Good Times Roll

I'm in Touch with Your World

Just What I Needed

Moving in Stereo

My Friend's Girl

You're All I've Got Tonight
Probably buying the 4 bolded minimum, I'll have to Youtube the rest.

Only 1 month left until Doolittle. :drool: :drool: :drool:

The Motley Crue song is at .99, its a good song. Saints of Los Angeles.

I didn't know about the Boston track still being at .99. Im gonna have to check it out.

When I sit and think about it, I've never played Nevermind, Who's Next, The Cars or Doolittle more than once all the way through.
Not sure why I was excited by a couple of these.

[quote name='Mojimbo']Probably buying the 4 bolded minimum, I'll have to Youtube the rest.

Only 1 month left until Doolittle. :drool: :drool: :drool:[/quote]

I thought the same. I've never really been a Cars fan, so I don't know if I'll get the whole thing.

[quote name='dallow']When I sit and think about it, I've never played Nevermind, Who's Next, The Cars or Doolittle more than once all the way through.
Not sure why I was excited by a couple of these.[/QUOTE]You stink.

(Get Kool Thing, it's pretty awesome and active on medium drums.)

---

Actually, I'm a huge fan of Who's Next and I'm still probably only buying Baba O Riley, Bargain and Behind Blue Eyes(Won't Get Fooled Again would have been the other, but it's already on the disc.) I'm buying all of Doolittle for sure, that was my album in 10th grade. :cool:

I really regret buying all the songs from the Boston pack, I only really play 3 or so of those so I'm being more cautious from here on out.

[quote name='Mojimbo']Probably buying the 4 bolded minimum, I'll have to Youtube the rest.

Only 1 month left until Doolittle. :drool: :drool: :drool:[/quote]

All Mixed Up

Bye Bye Love

Don't Cha Stop

Good Times Roll

I'm in Touch with Your World

Just What I Needed

Moving in Stereo

My Friend's Girl

You're All I've Got Tonight

For me, sub "You're All I've Got Tonight" for "Moving in Stereo" (more of a sythesizer song). Add "Bye Bye Love", too. I'll get the other 3, as well.

[quote name='Mojimbo']Actually, I'm a huge fan of Who's Next and I'm still probably only buying Baba O Riley, Bargain and Behind Blue Eyes(Won't Get Fooled Again would have been the other, but it's already on the disc.)

I really regret buying all the songs from the Boston pack, I only really play 3 or so of those so I'm being more cautious from here on out.[/quote]
You stink.

:cool:

Really, explain to me what I'm not seeing out of the other 5 songs, Xecutioner, I'd genuinely love to be wrong about that.

I'll make it nice and easy for you.

3. "Love Ain't for Keeping" – 2:12
4. "My Wife" (Entwistle) – 3:41
5. "The Song Is Over" – 6:16
6. "Getting In Tune" – 4:50
7. "Going Mobile" – 3:42

Have at it.

[quote name='Mojimbo']You stink.

(Get Kool Thing, it's pretty awesome and active on medium drums.)

---

Actually, I'm a huge fan of Who's Next and I'm still probably only buying Baba O Riley, Bargain and Behind Blue Eyes(Won't Get Fooled Again would have been the other, but it's already on the disc.) I'm buying all of Doolittle for sure, that was my album in 10th grade. :cool:

I really regret buying all the songs from the Boston pack, I only really play 3 or so of those so I'm being more cautious from here on out.[/quote]

I actually don't like The Who that much at all save for a couple songs.
Kinda weird since they're in the timeframe where I like just about everybody who was active.

Thinking more, I'd pick up the whole Cars album, I used to have a cassette of it to play in the car and it's not bad for silly music.
But probably just 1 or 2 songs from Doolittle and Who's Next.
Pass on Nevermind.

Television album please and I can die happy.

I'll pick up Kool Thing, I was planning to.
I want the Grateful Dead pack just for variety in musical style even if I'm not a great fan.

GD lyrics make me chuckle too.
And they all seem to have moderate to high difficulty ratings surprisingly.

Driving that train, high on cocaine,
Casey jones is ready, watch your speed.
Trouble ahead, trouble behind,
And you know that notion just crossed my mind.

This old engine makes it on time,
Leaves central station bout a quarter to nine,
Hits river junction at seventeen to,
At a quarter to ten you know its travlin again.

Trouble ahead, lady in red,
Take my advice youd be better off dead.
Switchmans sleeping, train hundred and two is
On the wrong track and headed for you.

Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
Got two good eyes but you still dont see.
Come round the bend, you know its the end,
The fireman screams and the engine just gleams...

[quote name='dallow']I actually don't like The Who that much at all save for a couple songs.
Kinda weird since they're in the timeframe where I like just about everybody who was active.

Thinking more, I'd pick up the whole Cars album, I used to have a cassette of it to play in the car and it's not bad for silly music.
But probably just 1 or 2 songs from Doolittle and Who's Next.
Pass on Nevermind.

Television album please and I can die happy.

I'll pick up Kool Thing, I was planning to.
I want the Grateful Dead pack just for variety in musical style even if I'm not a great fan.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I looked up the charts for Sugar Magnolia last week and it was crazy how different it was from nearly everything on the disc. I still wouldn't buy it but I can at least appreciate it now.

(I thought Train in Vain was great fun on hard drums too, cause I'm at the point where I can 95-98% nearly every song on Medium but I'm having trouble on certain songs on Hard. Seems like a great stepping stone because of how active it is plus the drums are the main part of the song anyways. I can see it being fun on vocals but being a wash on guitar unless you really like the song.)

80 points mang!

And wow, same for me, upper 90s for all on medium, but can't pass some of the higher medium and up drum songs on Hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back