Rock Band for the NEXT GEN. confused.

pacemakerguy

CAGiversary!
I was thinking today when the next xbox comes out, a whole new system apart from the 360, what do you think rock band will do in means of the bought music. If Rock Band moved onto the next system right away how do you think they would let you transfer your already bought songs? i wouldn't re buy them if thats what they think...hell no

Hard to say what they'll do, but at the same time, we hardly have to worry about this for some time. I wouldn't expect another console to even be announced much less come out for a good 3 years if not longer that that. More so since Kinect just came out.

microsoft has said they have no plans of creating a new gaming console anytime soon, if anything they're going to continue to promote kinect and possibly a handheld gaming device...sony and microsoft just patented a bunch of technology for a touch screen.

I would hope MS started thinking about this early on in the DLC process - not just Rock Band stuff - and has something in place that will allow both full backwards compatibility and DLC transfer. Actually, if anything Rock Band is one of the games I would be LEAST worried about here. Provided the franchise still exists then, I'd assume Rock Band 5 (or whatever) would be compatible with all the old content - if nothing else we could redownload it on the new gen console, at least.

I'd be more worried about content for older games that no one pays any attention to. If any "work" is required, I can't see them making the free bonus cars for Burnout Revenge available, for example.

The backwards compatibility issue shouldn't be a problem this time around (hopefully)...it has been a few years since I read about it, but going from fuzzy memory, they made some mistakes with the rights over the hardware of the original XBox, which made it cost-prohibitive to ensure full backwards compatibility between the XBox and 360. I think they have more control with the 360's hardware rights so it will not require software emulation like we have to have currently. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, it's been years since I read those two books about the creation of the XBoxen.

I worry about this too, mainly because I may not be buying Microsoft's next console with the faulty hardware they had this gen. I might be forced to if they allow the kind of migration you guys are talking about.

mhm KaneRobot i agree. also i wonder if the Wii would be dieing off soon and Nintendo will flip to rush out a new system, i don't know anyone that really plays the Wii anymore anyway. Just 360 and ps3. we just need to wait n see what happens for the future, same with big titles such as Halo Reach and Fable, those will last very long and keep 360 alive for awhile.
one more thing what about Guitar Hero they have been alive since ps2 so what could happen with their dlc too, even though they just keep shitting out games left and right now.

Considering how many "bonus content" items are actually already on some game discs and just require "permission" to unlock, I really don't see this being a huge problem.

I imagine it would be an absolutely trivial and simple thing to allow you to transfer your current Rock Band tracks to a new system, but remember, we are talking about consoles here. Anything that's simple to do may make the Xbox 360 successor out to be more of a PC than a gaming console, and we know how much Microsoft gets spooked at that prospect. Look at how long it took for Microsoft to allow you to use your own USB stick to save data. Very PC-like, that.

Many console limitations are artificial and many of the methods/connections proprietary. All they are, after all, are computers.

bread's done
Back