Rock Band instrument setup question

Ryuukishi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Okay, here is my situation. I have the Guitar Hero III set that came with two wired guitars. If I bought the Rock Band game only, along with a USB microphone, would I be able to play RB with both guitars and the mic? The guitars would be occupying both controller ports so I wouldn't be able to plug in a controller for the singer. Is there another way to make this setup work?

SingStar mics: from what I understand, the answer is no. You can use any normal USB mic, but not the Singstar mics. I'm using a mic that was from Karaoke Revolution (got the mic used.)

Two wired guitars. I only have one, so can't say with certainty, but I'm pretty sure you have to have a controller for the mic player. There is no way for the mic player to choose options without a controller. I think a multitap should do the trick, though. I'll try to test this out by using a multitap even though I don't need to, and plugging the controller into it and see if it works, and I'll report back, but probably won't get to it tonight.

[quote name='crunchewy']SingStar mics: from what I understand, the answer is no. You can use any normal USB mic, but not the Singstar mics. I'm using a mic that was from Karaoke Revolution (got the mic used.)[/quote]I tried googling a little for SingStar/Rock Band compatibility info and there are conflicting reports. Since a standalone USB mic is like $20 anyway, I'd rather pay $35 for a SingStar bundle and get another mic and a game for the extra $15. I'm going to go ahead and pick up SingStar and give it a try, if it doesn't work I'll just have to get another mic.

[quote name='crunchewy']Two wired guitars. I only have one, so can't say with certainty, but I'm pretty sure you have to have a controller for the mic player. There is no way for the mic player to choose options without a controller. I think a multitap should do the trick, though. I'll try to test this out by using a multitap even though I don't need to, and plugging the controller into it and see if it works, and I'll report back, but probably won't get to it tonight.[/quote]Thanks, I suspected that I might need a multitap. I found one on eBay for $8 so that's not too bad.

Can't help ya on using Singstar microphones, but looking on the back of the Rock Band box, it claims to support "Multitap (for PS2) - 3 Players". Though the wording is a bit odd for a four-player game, I take it that means two GH controllers and a regular controller for the mic (as crunchewy said, you need a regular controller for the singer to pick menu options and adjust sound settings).

I can confirm two GH guitars work, but I don't own a multitap, so I never tried them with a mic all at the same time...

i'll confirm, since i'm using a similar setup. singstar mic's won't work, they're proprietary to singstar only. if you have any usb headset at all, it should work. you will need a multitap to do both the guitars and the mic, since the mic is controlled by the controller, as previously stated. even with the Guitar hero wireless guitars, they still use receivers that plug in. there are cheaper ways to get a usb mic for the ps2, try picking up a Get on Da Mic bundle or other bundles that may be cheaper.

bread's done
Back