Rock Band or Guitar Hero?

DeLane79

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Long story short, I just bought my first PS3 and 360 recently and I have never played any of the Hero/Band games...

Which do you recommend (for a noob like myself), for which console, and where can I find the best deal on a bundle?

Thanks. :)

Rock Band is the better software. All DLC except The Beatles works with the Rock Band 1 or 2 discs. You can also import almost all Rock Band 1 songs to your HDD for a fee.

Personally, I prefer the Guitar Hero guitars and Rock Band 2 drums (the mic is just a USB mic). Of the GH guitars, I think the GH5 is best but the GH3 Les Paul is fine, too.

Check your Target's clearence section. Mine had Band Hero there (PS3, didn't see the price and didn't feel like bringing it to a scanner).

Either system is fine. Only drawback to the PS3 is that it requires USB dongles. I have it for 360 but I wouldn't really care if I needed to use them on the PS3.

Amazon has the PS3 Rock Band 2 special edition bundle (RB2 drum, guitar, and mic) for $78.

http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-3..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278474138&sr=8-1

I think it's a good price since Target clearance is YMMV. I don't really like the guitar but you might. If you don't, you could probably find a GH3 Les Paul for $20 or less. Alternatively, you could wait until the new Guitar Hero comes out during the winter. Amazon had a spend $80, get $40 (or $20, I forget) credit. I picked up the GH5 guitar bundle and sold the game to basically get the guitar for $20. And of course after Christmas those bundles will eventually hit Target clearance (mine had a lot there for awhile).

[quote name='icedrake523']Rock Band is the better software. All DLC except The Beatles works with the Rock Band 1 or 2 discs. You can also import almost all Rock Band 1 songs to your HDD for a fee.

Personally, I prefer the Guitar Hero guitars and Rock Band 2 drums (the mic is just a USB mic). Of the GH guitars, I think the GH5 is best but the GH3 Les Paul is fine, too.

Check your Target's clearence section. Mine had Band Hero there (PS3, didn't see the price and didn't feel like bringing it to a scanner).

Either system is fine. Only drawback to the PS3 is that it requires USB dongles. I have it for 360 but I wouldn't really care if I needed to use them on the PS3.

Amazon has the PS3 Rock Band 2 special edition bundle (RB2 drum, guitar, and mic) for $78.

http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-3..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278474138&sr=8-1

I think it's a good price since Target clearance is YMMV. I don't really like the guitar but you might. If you don't, you could probably find a GH3 Les Paul for $20 or less. Alternatively, you could wait until the new Guitar Hero comes out during the winter. Amazon had a spend $80, get $40 (or $20, I forget) credit. I picked up the GH5 guitar bundle and sold the game to basically get the guitar for $20. And of course after Christmas those bundles will eventually hit Target clearance (mine had a lot there for awhile).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that very detailed post. Helped me a lot! :bouncy:

Rock Band is the better option for the game. I tried the RB1 guitar and couldn't stand the mushy strum, but I love the latest GH guitars.

Rock Band is better by a mile. The RB2 guitar is a bit better than the Rb1, but the GH guitars overall are better. I would try to find the RB2 bundle since they are pretty cheap now days.

I would definitely get RB and maybe wait for RB3. The GH guitars will be crap compared the real guitars you can get for RB3. Also something worth noting is that if you get RB on PS3 you will be able to share songs with your friends.

Rock Band 2 is the game that keeps on giving. Look at all the DLC + the ability to import all the track packs(Metal, Classic, Country), including nearly full tracklists from RB1, Lego, and the latest: Green Day. If you spend about $30-40 for codes/DLC, you will end up with well over 200 songs.

Plus, the interface feels less cheesy than GH. On a side note though, no music game collection is complete without Guitar Hero Metallica.

I also agree with everyone else about the guitars. GH3 or GH5 versions are the best.

There is no need to pick between them, you can pick most of them up cheap used. I just browsed the prices from some resellers from Amazon and added shipping to the cost.

Rockband 1, ~$10
GH3 ~$5.50
GH2 ~$6
GH Aerosmith ~$6
RB AC/DC ~$12
GH World Tour ~$9
GH 5 ~$13
RB 2 ~ $19

Since you'll need instruments, you might want to buy one of the rockband bundles. Or screw the drums and use a USB microphone and pick up just a guitar.

[quote name='sassylaurie']On a side note though, no music game collection is complete without Guitar Hero Metallica.[/QUOTE]
No doubt. The Death Magnetic DLC is on sale this week too, only on the 360 though

Last edited by a moderator:
I have four versions of Guitar Hero and two versions of Rock Band. Maybe it was because I did a speed run through Rock Band to unlock everything so all songs would be available to play when people came over but I came to enjoy the mechanics of RB over GH.

When playing songs in RB2 the notes felt more natural compared to GH5.

I also like that RB has the RB Network where I've been able to download songs from such bands as KMFDM.

However (at least until RB3 comes out) I like the GH guitars better.

bread's done
Back