Rock Band series - Rock Band 4 out now

Wow...I took a look at the RB Customs website, and holy crap, I can't believe that was even possible without a modded Xbox. It was very easy to get up and running, and now it almost feels like the DLC never stopped (and is now free, haha). They even did a Valentine's pack like usual Rock Band. As somebody who was hoping for a next gen Rock Band, this will definitely get me playing again.
Can you play while connected to live? I'd just worry about being banned for it. But color me intrigued though.

Can you play while connected to live? I'd just worry about being banned for it. But color me intrigued though.
No. It won't work while connected to XBL. I'm putting the full explanation in spoiler tags as not to draw attention. Though, in my opinion, this process is so basic, considering it "modding" is a hell of a stretch.
You have to use an older title update (Title Update #4), otherwise the custom songs won't work. So, basically, you move the most recent title update (Title Update #5) to a memory card/small flash drive, download TU#4 and the custom songs you want from their website, put them on a different (larger) flash drive, and pop it in to play the custom songs. The game will inform you that there's an update...just tell it no, and continue playing offline.

And when you want to play online, swap your TU#4/custom song flash drive for your TU#5 flash drive, and everything will be back to normal.

No. It won't work while connected to XBL. I'm putting the full explanation in spoiler tags as not to draw attention. Though, in my opinion, this process is so basic, considering it "modding" is a hell of a stretch.
You have to use an older title update (Title Update #4), otherwise the custom songs won't work. So, basically, you move the most recent title update (Title Update #5) to a memory card/small flash drive, download TU#4 and the custom songs you want from their website, put them on a different (larger) flash drive, and pop it in to play the custom songs. The game will inform you that there's an update...just tell it no, and continue playing offline.

And when you want to play online, swap your TU#4/custom song flash drive for your TU#5 flash drive, and everything will be back to normal.
Reported.

Thanks for clarifying, that makes it more simplified.

It should also be noted that you need to have the original EA disc version of the game. If you have the digital Games on Demand version or the Mad Catz disc version (I didn't even know they printed more discs after EA bailed), the custom songs won't work.

I'll check it out. Been really into Rocksmith lately and I've got an XBone coming next week, but I'll find time to go back. Thanks for the info.

Wanted to bump this thread with the new developments from E3. Seems like some things are definitely brewing with Harmonix. First, this is what they had to say in April.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/harmonix-has-grand-plans-to-revive-rock-band-potentially-for-xbox-one-ps4/1100-6418917/

Today during a PAX East keynote address, Harmonix CEO Alex Rigopulos teased that the Boston area studio has "grand plans" to bring the Rock Band and Dance Central franchises to the new generation of consoles, presumably the Xbox One and PlayStation 4, and potentially Wii U.

He prefaced his talk this morning by saying he would not announce a Rock Band 4 or Dance Central 4 and he did not say if these games were in fact in development in any way. However, he stressed that both franchises are "near and dear" to Harmonix. He went on to say that the studio plans to bring these franchises to the "coming console cycle" "at some point" and with "guns blazing."
Then came yesterday's announcement of the new downloadable Dance Central title...which also carried with it this very interesting piece of information.

http://www.destructoid.com/harmonix-announces-dance-central-spotlight-a-digital-only-xbox-one-exclusive-275843.phtml

And here's some great news: Legacy DLC will be supported. If you've ever purchased DLC for Dance Central, you'll get the Spotlight version for free when it is released, complete with the 8 routines.
To me, that's huge. I'm trying not to read into things too much...but with the next DC game being a small downloadable base game (only 10 tracks), supplemented by new DLC (goal of 50+ songs at launch), and supported by Legacy DLC...would it not be a reasonable assumption that the next Rock Band game would follow a similar formula?

To me, that outline seems WAY more sustainable than what they were doing before...and it's almost on par with what people around the community (including this thread) have been calling for. A basic structure that doesn't need constant updates (no RB 5, 6, 7)...and a steady stream of DLC.

Harmonix even mentions in the latter article that they've improved their authoring pipeline, which allows them to create songs more quickly. Keeping a low overhead on their end should make a big impact on continuing support for the game. Anybody else think this sounds plausible, or am I getting my hopes up? haha

Sucks for people who switched to PS4 from 360.
Haha, what's funny is that's what I've been debating this week since I've just now been considering getting a new console. And I was probably 90% convinced to go with PS4 (just more games I was interested in, along with some of the features). But this is a game changer. I can't imagine not playing the next Rock Band...and the only way that happens is with all my DLC (and hopefully my advanced instruments...ION drums and pro guitar).

I'm curious how the Legacy DLC will work though, since it won't involve any actual importing...but more verifying that you own it and redownloading it in the new format. Theoretically, that could allow you to move to PS4 and still be ok (though, obviously, not for Dance Central). Just depends how the process will work.

While I'm cautiously optimistic for RB Resurrection maybe coming someday, all the Harmonix layoffs a few weeks ago and John Drake leaving yesterday makes me wonder what HMX is at this point. Part of what made the series great was the team behind it, and a massive chunk of that team is gone.

That said, I'd probably buy just about anything as long as you could use your old library. Or at least most of it.

While I'm cautiously optimistic for RB Resurrection maybe coming someday, all the Harmonix layoffs a few weeks ago and John Drake leaving yesterday makes me wonder what HMX is at this point. Part of what made the series great was the team behind it, and a massive chunk of that team is gone.

That said, I'd probably buy just about anything as long as you could use your old library. Or at least most of it.
Yeah, my guess is they're just trying to survive as basically an indie developer at this point. You see a lot of games made these days with small 4-5 man teams (though, probably more often on PC). I'd hate to call anybody losing their job "trimming the fat", but that could be part of it. If they're committed to just making music games...and having those games be relatively small base games, supplemented by DLC, they might not need as many people to get them off the ground.

Saw a bunch of people posting this survey on social media, so I hope it helps bring a new rock band. I remember when Rock Band was the top party game around, and I hope it comes back to being the top party game once again. 

Arctic Monkeys and Foos, so awesome!

post-39169-Frozen-Anna-this-is-amazing-gi-4mBN.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...this has to confirm (or at the very least be a test to gauge interest for) a new game coming around the corner. They wouldn't start working on DLC again 21 months later if something bigger wasn't in the works. It does make me think about that survey that they had up before though...and "New DLC on existing consoles" was one of the choices. It's going to be interesting to see where this goes from here.

Well, I gave up and sold my guitars while the market was hot.  Still, it may be worth picking up for vocals since Rocksmith is lacking in that department and I have 5 of those logitech mics sitting around.

OF COURSE it's new Foo Fighters that gets the DLC train rolling again.  I mean, from the game that gave us the Dave Grohl achievement, after all...

I'm not complaining, mind you.  I'll download the Foo Fighter track for sure, and maybe all three of them, just to show some support.  And give me an excuse to play.

That's good to hear. I still have the guitar lying around, but I should probably get Rock Band 3 then. 

Microsoft wins in this case, way more people went XBOX 360 -> PS4 than did PS3 -> XBOX One.

I know I went PS4 but since all my DLC is on my 360, I will have an XBOX One by the fall.  I'd be getting one eventually but this just cements it will be this year.

I am beyond excited though, day one purchase for me and that is so rare nowadays.

Awesome. I really hope there's some kind of automated process for the DLC carry-over. It would be pretty painful to have to try and remember everything you own and then individually download them all again.

Really glad to hear they're working to make all existing instruments work with the new game, because I still have (and frequently use) my old equipment. This is going to be my reason to buy an XB1.

So awesome! This is everything I was hoping would happen when I went with XB1 over PS4. When the newest Dance Central was announced with legacy DLC support, my gut just told me this was going to happen. The investment I have in Xbox 360 RB DLC...not to mention my Ion Drumkit well surpasses what the PS4 had to offer. Can't wait to see all this come to fruition.

Support for existing DLC AND existing instruments. Harmonix is the best freaking developer ever, man. Microsoft "couldn't" even find a way for XBLA games to be supported on XB1. This is practically like having backward compatible games with backward compatible controllers. Great work, Harmonix!

And no offense to Corizzle (because at least you recognize that your hand is forced), but so many comments on that Kotaku article are people bitching that they played Rock Band on Xbox 360 but now they play on PS4. Wah...lol. Should have considered that as a possibility. Unless you were just done with RB forever, this was bound to happen at some point.

It is amusing watching people realize how small of a library of DLC it would take to balance out the price of buying an Xbox One though. Anything in the 175-200 song range, and you might as well buy a new system, lol. :lol:

And no offense to Corizzle (because at least you recognize that your hand is forced), but so many comments on that Kotaku article are people bitching that they played Rock Band on Xbox 360 but now they play on PS4. Wah...lol. Should have considered that as a possibility. Unless you were just done with RB forever, this was bound to happen at some point.

It is amusing watching people realize how small of a library of DLC it would take to balance out the price of buying an Xbox One though. Anything in the 175-200 song range, and you might as well buy a new system, lol. :lol:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc0RECohAZ0&t=31[/youtube]

This video is also great...as you get to hear them basically talk about how being bought by EA MTV Viacom Satan basically ruined the series and killed everyone's spirit, haha. What? EA is the devil? You don't say! ;)

bread's done
Back